Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .404 Jeffery

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shopping.NitroExpress.com >> Classifieds & Collecting

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: .404 Jeffery [Re: 3DogMike]
      #348183 - 20/12/20 05:20 PM

Mike, I have to say that the scope you have in the picture doesn't look out of place on your rifle at all. At least in my opinion.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #348205 - 21/12/20 02:39 AM

Quote:

You will like the .404, mild mannered killer....it’s a true classic.
- Mike

R.B. Rodda Suhl production Mauser (restocked in UK)....no it is not for sale

Man that is beautiful.. congrats...

I have wanted a .404 for a very long time..

THAT will be my next big game purchase in 2021..

Either will have on built or buy one...

Everything I have read about it has been positive..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
Re: .404 Jeffery [Re: Ripp]
      #348302 - 22/12/20 09:45 AM

Mike, I feel your pain.
I put together a .404 on a pre 64 model 70 for a friend. He came over with the same glass as you have there and I told him to return it and find one of the older 1" scopes.
We ended up with a vanilla VX2 1-4x20
I was making mounts for the rifle and the 30mm was just too high for the original stock. With the smaller tube and eye bell, the scope is absolutely on the deck and not far different from the irons.

Good shooting

Tom

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

Rockdoc
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #349260 - 15/01/21 07:08 AM

Quote:

All I have to add here is a “good on you” to both Bertram and Woodleigh. Were it not for these companies a lot of vintage rifle shooters would be screwed and their rifles reverted to wall hanger status.
I can only envy you in Oz being able to ring up either company and (if in stock) have the esoteric vintage brass or bullets in hand with only waiting out the Post.
- Mike

By the way:
Nobody has mentioned it, but I will......
My Rodda .404 in the pictures arrived complete with the H&H scope mounts/rings for a 30mm scope. I checked.....it would have been relatively financially silly to try to obtain and fit a set of H&H 1” rings.
In my (less than) humble opinion I cannot on this earth figure why such a monster excrescence as a 30mm tube could be chosen for a classic rifle. That bulky cow of a scope, while it is really nice, still offends my sensibilities.
I shoot it mostly with the iron sights......

3DogMike you can buy the rings relatively inexpensively from the UK, dearer than other rings but not the price H&H will charge. I will have a look for the link and PM you. I did enquire as to whether they were making ring for doubles as my H&H 375 Flanged Mag has different scope bases/rings and they said they were considering making them, must check again as I quite like their double rifle setup.

Cheers, Chris

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: .404 Jeffery [Re: Rockdoc]
      #349265 - 15/01/21 11:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

All I have to add here is a “good on you” to both Bertram and Woodleigh. Were it not for these companies a lot of vintage rifle shooters would be screwed and their rifles reverted to wall hanger status.
I can only envy you in Oz being able to ring up either company and (if in stock) have the esoteric vintage brass or bullets in hand with only waiting out the Post.
- Mike

By the way:
Nobody has mentioned it, but I will......
My Rodda .404 in the pictures arrived complete with the H&H scope mounts/rings for a 30mm scope. I checked.....it would have been relatively financially silly to try to obtain and fit a set of H&H 1” rings.
In my (less than) humble opinion I cannot on this earth figure why such a monster excrescence as a 30mm tube could be chosen for a classic rifle. That bulky cow of a scope, while it is really nice, still offends my sensibilities.
I shoot it mostly with the iron sights......

3DogMike you can buy the rings relatively inexpensively from the UK, dearer than other rings but not the price H&H will charge. I will have a look for the link and PM you. I did enquire as to whether they were making ring for doubles as my H&H 375 Flanged Mag has different scope bases/rings and they said they were considering making them, must check again as I quite like their double rifle setup.

Cheers, Chris

Chris,
got your PM, thanks!
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: .404 Jeffery [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #349275 - 15/01/21 02:10 PM

Quote:

Both Bertram and Woodleigh only started selling in volume direct to the public because the stores wouldn't support them. it's pretty sad really.

Matt.

Funny that. I tried THREE TIMES to get MacDonald to allow me to buy Woodleigh projectiles direct from him to sell on the internet ie NE, and was told the retailers wouldn't like it ie online sales.

Later one of our members for a short time, setup a country town backyard shed gunshop, and mostly sales through a website and on another internet forum. First thing he did was sell Woodleigh bullets with huge discounts and thousands of dollars of sales. Exactly what I was told I could not do or even buy Woodleigh bullets for sale in the first place.

Allowing Woodleigh bullets to be sold on NE would have been a small way to help financially support this NE site at no cost to them, and all the gratuitous support and free advertising Woodleigh gets here, and expects.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rockdoc
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: .404 Jeffery [Re: NitroX]
      #349303 - 16/01/21 08:47 AM

We fossils remember reloading larger cartridges pre Woodleigh, Bertram etc.

We did what we could. In Australia we were lucky to have Peter Davern making dies.

For the 404J RWS Ammo was relatively cheap and a source of cases once fired. For the life of me I can’t remember what bullets I reloaded!

We are lucky now as NitroX says. Heck, you can even buy 12b Paradox cartridges! Just wish I hadn’t sold my WR Explora..... amongst others.

Interestingly for my 500/450 3 1/4” Magnum NE, older Bertram brass is too thick and requires reaming. Fortunately latter cases are just right, not as thin as Kynoch but thin enough to chamber without work. Bruce Bertram said he had probably changed them a bit over 30yrs!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: .404 Jeffery [Re: Rockdoc]
      #349312 - 16/01/21 01:08 PM

Quote:

We fossils remember reloading larger cartridges pre Woodleigh, Bertram etc.

We did what we could. In Australia we were lucky to have Peter Davern making dies.

Yep we can be thankful and are lucky in Australia, that we do have Woodleigh, Bertram and Simplex . Makes all this archaic cartridge and rifle shooting stuff so much easier! And with the ability to telephone and buy direct, so much easier than ordering on the never-never from Europe or the USA.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2159

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com