Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Schultz and Larsen 54j

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> 'Classic' Firearms Photos & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Schultz and Larsen 54j [Re: Sarg]
      #335716 - 22/12/19 02:12 PM

Nice elk.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
vykkagur
.300 member

Reged: 28/11/19
Loc: Canada
Re: Schultz and Larsen 54 [Re: Rule303]
      #335717 - 22/12/19 02:14 PM

Quote:

Vykkagur you are correct about the placement of the bolt knob. Not many people are aware of this. I learnt to shoot with Lee Enfield based rifles and as such took me a little time to get used to Mauser derivatives and why I took very readily to the Rem M 700. Well the P14/M17 is the great grandfather of the M700.

Having no experience with the Remington 700, I was unaware that it's cock-on-close. I'm surprised, frankly. I understand it's the best-selling bolt action in the U.S., sort of the firearm equivalent of the F-150, and Americans, most of them, seem to hate that feature. They go to great and expensive lengths to convert P14/M1917's to a (marginal) cock-on-open, judging from the numerous online discussions. I've bought two over the years that I had to convert back. I guess it's all about what you're used to.

And thanks for not pointing out the spelling error. Stupid spellcheck gives me grief every time I type "ou" in a word, but lets "masgazines" roll by unchallenged. Go figure.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Schultz and Larsen 54 [Re: vykkagur]
      #335722 - 22/12/19 06:17 PM

personally I dont think cock on closing is anywhere better than cock on opening and most rifle working ??? well, cock on opening. so the customer allready decided whats better.

BUT, using rifle that cock on closing from time to time is good against becoming brain dead what never goes together with common gun safety.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

vykkagur
.300 member

Reged: 28/11/19
Loc: Canada
Re: Schultz and Larsen 54 [Re: lancaster]
      #335731 - 23/12/19 12:53 AM

You're right Lancaster, the customers decided they wanted cock-on-opening, so that's the predominant system today (that, and blaze-away-at-everything-that-moves semi-auto.) But it doesn't necessarily follow that that makes it a better system; it's just a matter of individual taste. Remember the saying, "The customer is always right!"? Selfridge, the man who coined that phrase, ended his life broke.

That being said, if there's anyone who could talk me into that system, it would be you, Lancaster. I'm still amazed at that Carcano sporter that you built - my hat's definitely off to you! I'm hoping you're going to keep us updated on how it works out. My interest is not just because it's a excellent piece of gunsmithing; I was planning something similar myself, but in 6.5X55. You've already solved some of the problems I was going to be facing. Anyone ingenious enough to put together a project like that is entitled to use whatever cocking system he likes!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9381

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com