Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Puma White Hunter

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
The Puma White Hunter
      #380945 - 05/12/23 05:10 PM

As you would be aware I have a Puma White Hunter style custom Tomas Williams Damascus knife.

I've always wanted a Puma White Hunter so jumped at one of these. I was surprised that it was smaller than I thought it was in the pictures. I remember seeing an advert for a knife I could not afford of a two knife Puma set. A White Hunted and a Jagdnicker, I think, Hunting knife. Both with stag antler grips. In a two knife sheath. In these photos the WH looked quite large.

I have a Pump Forsternicker, a forester knife. A similar knife to the Jagdnicker. So I have my "set".

I originally bought my White Hunter as a display knife. But I have been thinking of using it practically.

We're any of these White Hunter knives practically used? Good for antelope to buffalo, deer to buffalo? Too large for rabbits.

Quote:

A new knife, a Thomas Williams custom, styled on the Puma White Hunter with a damascus blade. Folded 4 times to achieve 416 layers.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=181331&page=0&fpart=2&vc=1

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: The Puma White Hunter [Re: NitroX]
      #380946 - 05/12/23 05:25 PM

I think there is bigger and smaller versions:

https://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=19357710

https://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=19367181

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: The Puma White Hunter [Re: Igorrock]
      #380954 - 06/12/23 12:59 AM

I make knives of all sorts and configurations using both hand forging and stock-removal methods. Have tinkered w/ designs for many years, the ability to work steel allowing for really any idea to take form. Then use them all year, all seasons, hunting, trail clearing, livestock butchering, in the kitchen, etc.

I've owned a Puma Bowie but while always intrigued by the WH since a very young age, to your question, which is a really good one, the WH, to me and based on using many different shapes and sizes, embodies a lot of bad design "features".

It is a mini-Waidblatt but where the Waidblatt has the mass and balance of a real chopper, just as you say, the WH is a small knife for its shape, way smaller than it looks online or in the catalogue, lending itself by sight (as long as a ruler is not close by) to chopping but not by execution...I don't believe. Concave edges are a pain to sharpen quick & on those that sport the serrations, well, I can do w/o them as that is the portion of the knife that allows for close and fine pairing if they aren't there. And it's not really pointy, but sort of "is" like an old worn out knife is.

Now here's the thing. Any and I mean any piece of sharp metal can be used for cutting and made-do with (wasn't it John Hunter who used a bread knife to kill a lion?) but as a design for really maximizing what it...looks...to be, I think the WH comes up short.

All that to say however much this critique seems rough, I STILL think the WH is a really neat knife and would like to own one! C'mon, it's a classic Puma and even if a shelf wore it like a woman wears pearls, the shelf would be better for it!

And yours is a dandy!!! Very nice!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Puma White Hunter [Re: 9.3x57]
      #380957 - 06/12/23 01:45 AM

The original White Hunter I saw years ago had a sheath like this, obviously very different and the smaller jagdnicker was larger.

I think with this North Thai , Northern Burma, hill tribe knife, the large kukri styled knife is a fighting knife. The smaller knife an eating knife.

The White Hunter and the Forsternicker are not dramatically different in size. Too heavy on the belt if in a single sheath.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
      #380959 - 06/12/23 02:25 AM

We here in northern scandinavia have our own version of pair of knifes. The basic idea for that kind of pair comes from our native saami people.
The smaller one (blade lenght 3,5") works very well for whittling and as well, for example, skinning moose sized animal. The bigger one (blade lenght 7,5") works like a small axe and is very usefull when slicing bigger animals dead body:

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: The Puma White Hunter [Re: Igorrock]
      #380960 - 06/12/23 03:32 AM

That Puma made of folded steel is the first I have seen. I wanted a Puma White Hunter when I was a kid, but the blade was too long for a carry knife so I had a Hunter's Pal, instead.
Seems to me, the blade on a "carry knife" could not be longer than 6". Might have been 5".

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Puma White Hunter [Re: DarylS]
      #380971 - 06/12/23 05:13 AM

Quote:

That Puma made of folded steel is the first I have seen.

Because it's not a Puma. It's a custom knife as I mentioned.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#380973 - 06/12/23 05:47 AM

I may have been mistaken and the model of the knife was the

Puma Waidbesteck Set Stag Waidblatt and Jagdnicker Stag.

A bigger knife than the White Hunter.

https://www.sportingoutbacksupplies.com....nife-set-2.html

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Hunter4752001
.300 member

Reged: 25/01/10
Loc: Australia
      #380978 - 06/12/23 10:24 AM

With a blade length of 155mm and an overall length of around 270mm I wouldn't call it a small knife. In fact most of the usual criticism is that its too large to be practical. Maybe people are confused by the many clones and /or the Puma miniature version.

Specification from the Puma (Germany) website:
Blade length: 155 mm
Blade thickness: 5 mm
Total length: 10-5/8 "
Knife weight: 240 g
Scales: staghorn
Bolster: aluminium
Steel / hardness: 1.4116 / 55-57 HRC
Sheath: leather
Design: PUMA

ps. I don't own one, nor have I use one. As such I can't comment on how practical they are.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: The Puma White Hunter [Re: Hunter4752001]
      #380979 - 06/12/23 12:49 PM

Quote:

I think with this North Thai, Northern Burma, hill tribe knife, the large kukri styled knife is a fighting knife.

John:
While the Thai/Burmese hill-tribe "Midh" may well be pressed into service as a fighting knife if required, it is carried as a general purpose knife for everything from sharpening sticks to digging out a splinter, and all the meat-cutting, lime-peeling, chilli-chopping tasks in-between. My oozee even used one extensively for banging on the head of the elephant to make him "behave" on a trip in the mountains a few hours west of Taungoo.
I would love to have acquired a well-used one from Burma, but knowing how much a favorite knife can mean to a tribesman, I didn't have the heart to ask!
Ended up getting a really nice one off a wizened old lady street-vendor in northern Laos a couple of years later. Photos one day...!

So this all had nothing to do with the Puma White Hunter, except to say I always assumed it was a skinner by shape, rather than a chopper.

Apologies for the hijack...

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: The Puma White Hunter [Re: Marrakai]
      #380983 - 06/12/23 03:17 PM

Quote:

In fact most of the usual criticism is that its too large to be practical.

I have no idea where this comes from, but it is an old saw repeated endlessly in the US where large knives have been looked down on seemingly forever by those who assume they are "in the know". Fact is, very large knives are used in Eastern knife cultures for many chores considered only attainable with small knives in the US. Where a large knife can do many small knife chores the small one cannot reciprocate. Of course if a large knife is simply not needed then the comparison is not useful. But to disparage the use of an effective tool b/c of social custom seems silly.

Thing about the WH is that tho it looks like a large knife is really isn't that big.

The similar-shaped Waidblatt on the other hand...is.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#380984 - 06/12/23 03:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think with this North Thai, Northern Burma, hill tribe knife, the large kukri styled knife is a fighting knife.

John:
While the Thai/Burmese hill-tribe "Midh" may well be pressed into service as a fighting knife if required, it is carried as a general purpose knife for everything from sharpening sticks to digging out a splinter, and all the meat-cutting, lime-peeling, chilli-chopping tasks in-between. My oozee even used one extensively for banging on the head of the elephant to make him "behave" on a trip in the mountains a few hours west of Taungoo.
I would love to have acquired a well-used one from Burma, but knowing how much a favorite knife can mean to a tribesman, I didn't have the heart to ask!
Ended up getting a really nice one off a wizened old lady street-vendor in northern Laos a couple of years later. Photos one day ! ....

Please do. Dud you go to Burma as well as Thailand and Laos? Please show some photos and stories one day soon ... This Christmas please!

My wife is dragging me to Argentina and a bit of Chile next year. I'm looking forward to it.

But we had planned to go Burma a few years ago. That was cancelled, we ended up in wonderful Romania instead.

Was watching a Landrover expedition across Burma, Singapore to London, this week, and reignited interest in Burma. The Northern and Hill Tribe regions of Burma are still in civil war, the Karen's for some 60 plus years, so remain out of bounds.

But I'd also like to read and sed your adventures in Northern Thailand. I've been in Northern Thailand but not Laos.

So that is what this sort of knife is called, a "Midh". Mine has solid buffalo horn grips. I repost the rest of the photos.

I also bought mine from a wizened wrinkled midget women who told me "You are a very beautiful man." I think I was one a good thing with this crone!

Real men in the real world wear a knife. For all those tasks you mention. Ridiculous when a pocket knife like once carried by every school boy is now a national crime. In the pansifyed West now we're encouraged instead to carry manbags filled with man lipstick, and moisturising face creams, panty wipes etc ....

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#380987 - 06/12/23 03:55 PM

Reposting

A pair of knives I bought in the Golden Triangle of Northern Thailand from some "Burmese" hill tribe ladies, selling stuff on the side of the road.

Hand made traditional knives for the hill tribe warrior. The large one a fighting knife, a very substantial leaf shaped blade and very sharp. Plus a smaller working knife.

The grips are water buffalo horn.

After a reasonable length of haggling I settled with the lady on a price and purchased the knife. She then said to me - "You very beautiful man!" I reckon I was on a good thing there, but .... unfortunately she resembled a little bit like a troll so I decided to forgo, the implicit invitation!

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=181331&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Puma Waidblatt and Puma Jagdnicker Stag scales [Re: NitroX]
      #380988 - 06/12/23 03:57 PM

BTW Now I want one of these sets ....

Quote:

I may have been mistaken and the model of the knife was the

Puma Waidbesteck Set Stag Waidblatt and Jagdnicker Stag.

A bigger knife than the White Hunter.

https://www.sportingoutbacksupplies.com....nife-set-2.html

Puma Waidbesteck Set Stag Waidblatt and Jagdnicker Stag German Made Hunting Knives with Leather Sheath - Special Order Please Allow 24+ Weeks for Delivery
Puma Waidbesteck Set Stag Waidblatt and Jagdnicker Stag German Made Hunting Knives with Leather Sheath - Special Order Please Allow 24+ Weeks for Delivery
Additional Views

Description more details
Special Order Please Allow 24+ Weeks for Delivery
Product information "PUMA waidbesteck set (waidblatt and nicker)"
113588 PUMA Waidblatt
113587 PUMA jagdnicker
Design: Frevert

Waidblatt:
Blade length: 217 mm / 8.54"
Blade thickness: 8 mm / .31"
Total length: 317 mm / 13"
Knife weight: 580 g / 20.46
German Steel Blade / hardness: 1.4116 / 55-57 HRC Rockwell Tested and Proofmarked
Design: Frevert

Jagdnicker:
Blade length: 104 mm /4.09"
Blade thickness: 4 mm / .16"
Total length: 205 mm / 8.07"
Knife weight: 160 g / 5.64"
German Steel Blade / hardness: 1.4116 / 55-57 HRC Rockwell Tested and Proofmarked
Sesign: Frevert

Since it was formed on the Wupper River in 1769, Puma Knives has set the standard that Established Solingen, Germany as the world’s premier knife manufacturing center. Puma has been distributed in the United States since 1957 and has established a strong reputation for high quality hunting, sporting and gentleman’s knives. Hunters and craftsmen know and trust PUMA’s performance, heritage and technology. The highest grades of stainless steel, innovative designs, genuine stag handles and traditional German craftsmanship are why Puma Knives are considered at the top of every major class ranking for hunting and sporting knives.

Knife Maker to the World ~ Legendary German Steel Blade Performance
Reg. Price: $2,249.99 USD
Our Price: $1,499.99 USD
Item #: 513588

https://pumaknifecompanyusa.com/waidbesteck-set-waidblatt-and-jagdnicker-p134.aspx

OUCH! On price ...

Waidblatt on its own
Reg. Price: $1,199.99 USD
Our Price: $999.99 USD
Item #: 113588

Jagdnicker
Reg. Price: $539.99 USD
Our Price: $399.99 USD
Item #: 113589

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (06/12/23 04:24 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#380989 - 06/12/23 04:12 PM

Thomas Williams Custom Damascus "White Hunter"
Quote:

A new knife, a Thomas Williams custom, styled on the Puma White Hunter with a damascus blade. Folded 4 times to achieve 416 layers.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=181331&page=0&fpart=2&vc=1

Thomas Williams Custom Damascus White Hunter
Approx
Blade 6.25" 16 cm
Overall 11" 28 cm

Puma White Hunter

https://pumaknifecompanyusa.com/Puma-Whi...her-Sheath.aspx

Puma White Hunter Stag German Made Hunting Knife with Leather Sheath - Special Order

Description more details
Special Order Please Allow 24+ Weeks for Delivery
Product information "PUMA white hunter"
Blade length: 155 mm / 6.10"
Blade thickness: 5 mm / .20"
Total length: 270 mm / 10.63"
Knife weight: 240 g / 8.47 oz.
Bolster: aluminum
German Steel Blade / hardness: 1.4116 / 55-57 HRC Tested and Proofmarked
Design: PUMA

Reg. Price: $569.99 USD
Our Price: $374.99 USD
Item #: 116375

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (06/12/23 04:21 PM)

9.3x57
.450 member

#380995 - 07/12/23 12:59 AM

John:

Are you saying you cannot carry a knife of any sort in Australia? (Question directed at "in town/city"...I assume you can carry a knife in the bush.)

BTW: Your custom WH is really a beautiful knife. Very.

Your set is similar in shape to the typical Hmong knives of Vietnam, Laos, etc tho those normally have no guard. I wrote a piece for Gun Digest Books KNIVES Annual a few years ago on them. Forged a couple of the type and did a writeup.

Maybe you have seen already but youtube had a ton of really fascinating hunting videos coming out of Laos of locals hunting deer, pig and small game. LOTS of Hmong knife action and their guns used are quite interesting as well: a very interesting muzzleloader shows up in addition to LOTS of SKS's, AK's and...US M1 Carbines.

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #381004 - 07/12/23 11:46 AM

Quote:

John:

Are you saying you cannot carry a knife of any sort in Australia? (Question directed at "in town/city"...I assume you can carry a knife in the bush.)

Your set is similar in shape to the typical Hmong knives of Vietnam, Laos, etc tho those normally have no guard. I wrote a piece for Gun Digest Books KNIVES Annual a few years ago on them. Forged a couple of the type and did a writeup.

Maybe you have seen already but youtube had a ton of really fascinating hunting videos coming out of Laos of locals hunting deer, pig and small game. LOTS of Hmong knife action and their guns used are quite interesting as well: a very interesting muzzleloader shows up in addition to LOTS of SKS's, AK's and...US M1 Carbines.

In Queensland you are not allowed a knife in a public place without reasonable excuse. I think it is the same or very similar in other States. So a pocket knife should be no trouble as most people will not see it and easy to justify. A knife worn on the belt is harder to justify and way easier to see so more likely to have people complain. We are a society of bed wetter's.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: The Puma White Hunter [Re: Rule303]
      #381005 - 07/12/23 12:12 PM

Quote:

In Queensland you are not allowed a knife in a public place without reasonable excuse. I think it is the same or very similar in other States. So a pocket knife should be no trouble as most people will not see it and easy to justify. A knife worn on the belt is harder to justify and way easier to see so more likely to have people complain. We are a society of bed wetter's.

Interesting.

Hunting season around here would fill the jails!

But then fellows walk into my business to pay their bills while open carrying pistols, too.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381008 - 07/12/23 06:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

John:

Same in SA. One needs a valid reason, not an excuse to carry a knife.

Yes a pocket knife is unobtrusive because it is hidden. But is still covered by the legislation.

I almost always wearing a Leatherman on my belt. I try to remember to leave it in the car when going to the shops. But slicing open an envelope at the post office box is legitimate usage.

I was shocked to learn having a knife in your car is regarded as carrying it in public as well. I've got probably several knives and axes permanent in my Landcruiser. It's a storage site for working and hunting tools, at hand where I need them. Tools and hunting equipment, not weapons.

If I go to the city I don't remove them. They're still tools. The axes and saws can cut tree branches in the garden. At the moment chopping up a bushes branches. Same for knives, using one to cut irrigation hoses I'm reinstalling. My car boot is half filled with tools. Two houses, tools in the vehicles are available at either house.

"But Sir, you aren't cutting hoses right now?" "Sir, you aren't cutting baling twine... skinning a rabbit or deer, ... Opening an envelope ? ... Etc .... One might get asked by some inane Gestapo following orders. What can one do?

I was told "John. these laws aren't aimed at people like you and me." They were introduced because of alleged Asian street gang knife violence. Allegedly. The excuse for draconian controls. I never know till I reread the laws recently, the website had changed to say certain things were outright prohibited. But no change to the real actual laws. But a knife anywhere near a pub is very prohibited. Again when I drive through a drive through or park they're tools, not weapons for gang fights.

A real problem for shooters, is a spurious knife carrying charge will get the cops claiming you aren't a fit and proper person to own legal firearms,Even if a court knocks down the charge, one will have had firearms confiscated, licence suspended and have to fight to get them back.

All of this is unlikely in a free and honest country. But in Victoria the govt showed it's not. And also if one gets a target on ones back, eg for political reasons, increasingly such spurious actions are used to harass and oppress.

I hope decent coppers can exercise sensible judgement.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #381017 - 07/12/23 10:53 PM

Quote:

having a knife in your car is regarded as carrying it in public

Remind me not to take my campervan into South Australia!

Including cutlery, probably got around 20 knives on board!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381018 - 08/12/23 12:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

having a knife in your car is regarded as carrying it in public

Remind me not to take my campervan into South Australia!

Including cutlery, probably got around 20 knives on board!

Me too.

That vehicle classed as in public, is common right across Australia. I first saw in mentioned for Qld or NSW, and thought what a lot of crap. But its for SA as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

#381020 - 08/12/23 12:28 AM

All very interesting. Those laws sound similar to the one I read about in France where it sounds like possession of and carrying a knife is entirely illegal unless it's not..."not" being up to the cop who stops you and asked why you have it. (Our French compadres can weigh in that interpretation!)

Here in Idaho we have legal pistol carry w/ no permit required. There are a few places you may not go whilst doing so. We do have a permit available, one I have is the "Enhanced Carry" permit which involves a classroom safety and law class plus a shooting test. While I do not need it in ID it gives me reciprocal legal carry status in many other states where permits are required so it's handy for travel. It also allows me to skip the background check necessary for purchase of a firearm.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381022 - 08/12/23 03:38 AM

When I was 15, one could buy any long srm, except full auto, and walk out with it. Registration was only brought in again a few years earlier. Handguns needed a club for a long time.

In the 1990s increased gun laws.

After 1996, semi auto lomg arms mostly banned. Pump action shotguns because of movies.

2003, large calibre handguns more restricted, and short handguns.

Some time since then knife legislation.

Asian street gangs, Bikie gangs, there's always an excuse for increased controls. Never jihardis and Muslims though ....

Some of my knives might be prohibited (?). But collectors can still own. I'm a collector.

These WH and similar knives are all hunting knives. Not a problem.

As I said good decent cops aren't a big problem, I've worn my Leatherman belt pouch and not been questioned. As one would expect. If some little dictator ... Or one is targeted, who knows. I'd defend my legitimate and legal use strenuously. "I'm about to open an envelope, buy an apple to peel it, use the can or bottle opener, use the pliers as a cigar holder ... no kidding, it's got tobacco taf on it ...cut wire, use the scissors, cut my fingernails, use the file to smooth them off, , use the screwdriver, use the tweezers. Use the cork screw,cut twine, irrigation hoses, gut, skin a rabbit or deer ... I like using a small folder as a steak knife, instead of crappy blunt cafe or cafeteria knives. Endless use for the tools. Especially a Leatherman and Swiss army knife.

I'd leave the Spetznaz DV2 O0of Waidblatt in the vehicle or at home. They'd come in handy for very large animals or wood cutting, building shelters.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #381023 - 08/12/23 03:52 AM

The granddaddy of all the now Puma knifes: W.Frevert’s design Waidblatt, one of the first dozen prototypes made in 1936 by the knifemaker F. Dula, Marburg.

The chief forester Walter Frevert, 1897 – 1962, was a prominent hunting expert during the 1930s to 50s, author of the authoritative book “Das jagdliche Brauchtum” = Hunting Traditions. Besides many of those “traditions” he also invented his “Waidblatt”, a big utility knife for applying the coup de grace to wounded red deer and wild boar without endangering the dogs with shooting. Frevert protected his design by a DRGM.
The shape of the Puma knives is a combination of design progression, company relations and advertising. I have to delve into the Frevert-Dula-Puma history a bit. Soon after the start of production Frevert and Dula had the idea to give the Nicker = gutting knife of the Waidbesteck the same, distinctive blade outline protected with the DRGM: wider near the about 90 degree point. Dula's production capacities did not meet demand from the start. Unsuccessful in Solingen, the German cutlery capital, Dula had the knifes made by a company in Neustadt on Saale, E. Dittert. The sheaths were bought in from the saddlery Hruby in Hachenburg. After 6 years, 1942, the DRGM protection of the design expired. So everybody was free to copy the design, but WW2 was going on. After 1945 most of these unusual, big and decorative knives were surrendered and "liberated". Many reside now in US collections. After 1950 Germans were allowed to hunt again and a new demand for Waidblatts set in. Now Solingen firms jumped in and offered close copies of the original design: First the Carl Eickhorn company, Solingen, offered clones. The early Eickhorns came in metal clad sheaths. In 1976 Eickhorn was no more, the tooling bought up by Kuno Ritter, "Hubertus" cutlery company, who continued to offer the "Hubertus Waidblatt".
About the same time like Eickhorn the PUMA-Werke, Lauterjung & Co, Solingen, started to offer uninscribed copies. Apparently they had an arrangement with Frevert, as by 1956 PUMA had protected the words "Forstmeister", "Frevert" and "FREVERT" as cutlery trademarks.
As Frevert was still regarded as the foremost hunting expert by German hunters then, Puma (and Frevert?) decided to capitalize on the name. Puma offered a whole series of hunting knives, all with the distinctive "Frevert" blade shape and etched on the blade "nach Forstmeister Frevert". There was not only the "Waidblatt" and the small "Nicker zum Waidbesteck"(about the same size as the “Hunter’s Pal” shown above), but also a larger "Försternicker", a "Hochwildnicker" for big game, and some folders advertized as "Frevert design". Up to the 1990s Puma used the "Nach Forstmeister Frevert", later "nach Oberforstmeister Frevert", inscription on knives approved by him until his death in 1962. By then the distinctive "Frevert" blade shape had become something like a Puma trademark itself. So that shape was used on their "White Hunter" and it's variants, the "Automesser" with wood grips, "pilot survival knife", "Alpine Outdoor", variations thereof with plastic grips and serrated edges and so on. For some time they had a model "Rüdemann" = bloodhound handler too, shaped similar to the Waidblatt, but in size about halfway in between Waidblatt and White Hunter.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: The Puma White Hunter [Re: kuduae]
      #381024 - 08/12/23 04:27 AM

Quote:

The granddaddy of all the now Puma knifes: W.Frevert’s design Waidblatt, one of the first dozen prototypes made in 1936 by the knifemaker F. Dula, Marburg.....................

As always, I enjoy the posts of kuduae.

That is quite fascinating history. I did not realize its original purpose. Due to its blade shape, I always thought it was originally intended as a "Standhauer" type for clearing trails and shooting lanes and such. The blade shape is somewhat reminiscent of the Gewehr 98 Seitengewehr 98/05 "Butcher Blade" which made a rather effective chopping tool as well. But for a "sticker", that is very interesting.

The Rüdemann looks also to be a very useful tool. Very heavy as I remember. I made a vaguely similar tool, not quite as heavy...the boys keep trying to "liberate" from me. The looters! It's the top right antler handled one in the pic here (w/ the green sheath).

BTW: a sticker I made for the purposes you note is bottom on the left. Very useful on game and stock.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#381028 - 08/12/23 05:03 AM

I went to the hockey arena in Dawson Creek for some deal, don't remember what it was, but had to return to my truck and leave my Leatherman there, because the bitch at the door said it was a weapon. There was a sign on the wall: NO WEAPONS

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381029 - 08/12/23 05:24 AM

Quote:

I went to the hockey arena in Dawson Creek for some deal, don't remember what it was, but had to return to my truck and leave my Leatherman there, because the bitch at the door said it was a weapon. There was a sign on the wall: NO WEAPONS

I once was going to walk into Parliament House for a meeting with the Police Minister, Police Commissioner and about forty others, and realised I'd left the small Wegener Swiss Army knife as my key ring and also fifty expired, used 9mm brass cases, in a pocket in my manbag ... Oops ... Not going to get through the Police metal detectors with those! A 700 metre fast march to the AU Regiment/Torrens Army Barracks Parade Ground car park and back again. Just made it in time! For one of several years of firearms legislation and regulations meetings.

I think I did take that pocket knife into the Vatican St Paul's Cathedral though. Bag searchs, no x-ray. It was under a flashlight. And no I didn't slash any priceless oil paintings like some nutter did some time before.

The little one here is my Landcruisers key "tag":

Removed from time to time. But it's a useful tool and handy to have. The tweezers have removed many a splinter or thorn. I need a new mini torch.

The other Swiss Army lock back has gutted and skinned deer at need. It needs a sharpen.

Have you ever had to walk back 5 KMs home or to the vehicle in the night through high grasees in summer with poisonous snakes to step on? I always have a decent torch nowadays on me, but lithium batteries just die ... A small spare can be very useful.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Puma White Hunter [Re: kuduae]
      #381030 - 08/12/23 05:31 AM

That's wonderful detailed information Kuduae. Very informative.

The coup de grace of lunge to the heart I've never done. It is traditional European. For non trophy headskin deer,I've alwayscut their throats. In the farm if the blood is still flowing allows them to bleed out as well , brain shot deer on my farm. Very occasionally still kicking a bit.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rule303
.416 member

#381032 - 08/12/23 07:42 AM

Thanks Kuduae some very interesting history there.

A car being deemed a public place for the purpose of a knife was introduced in to Qld Law about 3 or 4 years ago from memory. However a car is not a public place for any other law only for knives.

Edited by Rule303 (08/12/23 01:11 PM)

yumastepside
.333 member

Reged: 25/10/15
Loc: Tasmania Australia
      #381035 - 08/12/23 09:31 AM

Similar to Daryl, I was shooting a service pistol match, state titles, at Blacktown range and I had on my belt my S&W MOD 19, Speed loaders, and a small fixed blade knife that I used to remove stuck cases...something that I had been having trouble with..when some "Karen " complained to the range officer and I had to remove the knife !!
I was at a range with several hundred heavily armed people, each with at least one firearm, and up to 40 rounds of ammo and I was asked to remove a small knife ?????

Roger

--------------------
If you live for a thousand years, you still only have one life, don't waste it.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: The Puma White Hunter [Re: yumastepside]
      #381036 - 08/12/23 10:20 AM

It makes no sense. Roger. Doesn't have to, for idiots to attempt to display power.
I've watched a few U-tube Karen videos - downright brainless, most of them.

--------------------
Daryl

Rule303
.416 member

#381041 - 08/12/23 01:15 PM

Quote:

It makes no sense. Roger. Doesn't have to, for idiots to attempt to display power.
I've watched a few U-tube Karen videos - downright brainless, most of them.

Yes but they KNOW THEIR RIGHTS. yep this is mainly in their heads watch some going into brain exploding melt down when you ask a series of questions about their rights and if other people have these rights. They answer yes to the last question then ask them how this can be when some of these rights trample on other peoples rights.

I have a couple of knives in my car. Reason is if I am in a prang and have a stuck seat belt I can cut the belt, same if I come across an accident and people have a frozen seat belt.

The coming across an accident with that situation I have come across and had to cut a persons seatbelt. so it is not an improbable situation to come across.

Edited by Rule303 (08/12/23 01:19 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1610

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com