Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Grizzly the old fashion way..Long bow and stone pt arrowhead

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Grizzly the old fashion way..Long bow and stone pt arrowhead
      #351023 - 02/03/21 07:23 AM

Killing a Grizzly the Old-Fashioned Way: With a Longbow and a Stone-Point Arrowhead

The author set out to kill an Alaskan grizzly bear with sticks and stone. His journey took two years, countless arrows, and plenty of sleepless nights

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/huntin...bi4QZqp8JRhuJc8

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Grizzly the old fashion way..Long bow and stone pt arrowhead [Re: Ripp]
      #351026 - 02/03/21 08:06 AM

Interesting story indeed. Spent a whole 3 days learning how to shoot a long bow. Like I said, interesting. Wonder how much is literary license. On the first bear, the arrow dropped, while on the second one it hit exactly where he wanted. Ahh - re-read it and see he did a lot more than those 3 days practice.
Good point and arrow weight, however I did not see a bow weight listed.

My bro 'took' a 6 1/2' black bear with his 64# Howard Hill longbow a bunch of years back, using a shaft he split from a fir round, with grey-barred turkey feathers, moose sinue'd on and a 1" wide "spear" point for an arrow head, also sinue attached, he'd napped out of a flint nodule. He's been making "points" of obsidian and flint & chert for 50 years or more. The shot was at 12 yards, perfectly broadside and the point stuck out the offside, about 6" or more. Buddy Len was videotaping the incident from the other side of the bear. The blood instantly followed the arrow head in a rope of blood a good 2" in diameter - just poured out. The bear lurched forward on the log it was standing on, breaking the fletched end of the arrow shaft off on an aspen tree - SNAP, bear stopped, looked at the tree then dropped down off the 4'dia. log and kept going into a pile - dead-right-there. At that point, the video was sky, trees, ground - as Len was trying to get his .300 mag off his shoulder as the bear was headed in his direction, but collapsed as he hit the ground.
I had that point for the longest time, but it disappeared over the years.
About 3 weeks after I saw the VHS video, Taylor's kids erased it because they wanted to tape a comic kid's show from the TV. LOL

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: Grizzly the old fashion way..Long bow and stone pt arrowhead [Re: DarylS]
      #351032 - 02/03/21 10:34 AM

I've shot a Hill longbows for 40+ years in weights from 80# to now just at 60#. Have taken numerous African animals up to and including Eland with wood arrows, stone & steel broadheads. On the Eland a 35yd shot the broadhead was sticking out the off side. They do a number on Large feral hogs also. In the late 70's Using a 77# Hill longbow I took a good size Black Bear field dressing over 300#. The skull measuring 17+" don't remember exactly. A well made stone point is very efficient!

Bob

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Grizzly the old fashion way..Long bow and stone pt arrowhead [Re: aromakr]
      #351039 - 02/03/21 01:12 PM

Oh yes. At the Clarsholm Alberta Longbow Safari, I bought 74 pound hill longbow, Tembo I think it was called. I still have it,
but I have tillered it down to 64 pounds. It's now faster with the same arrows as it was at 74 pounds, a lot easier to shoot
now and with a lot less hand shock.
My Fox bows, of course, are faster yet, but the Howard Hill bows have a charm.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
      #351045 - 02/03/21 07:50 PM

For the really bold only; should I hunt that way I would feel safer with a friend backing-up with a 9,3x62 or .375 H&H, just in case of ...
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Grizzly the old fashion way..Long bow and stone pt arrowhead [Re: Louis]
      #351052 - 03/03/21 02:01 AM

Quote:

For the really bold only; should I hunt that way I would feel safer with a friend backing-up with a 9,3x62 or .375 H&H, just in case of ...
Louis

I have hunted black bear, deer, pronghorn, elk and other small game with a bow.. BUT, have never had the opportunity to hunt a griz with one.. For me, it would be one of the ultimate hunts of my lifetime.. can not imagine the adrenaline charge with a griz at 10 to 20 feet..

--------------------

aromakr
.375 member

#351054 - 03/03/21 02:33 AM

Daryl:
Ah yes Clarsholm, I was there. I won the 185 yard Elk shoot hit it twice, with a 77# Hill. Those were the fun day's.

Bob

Ripp
.577 member

#351055 - 03/03/21 04:11 AM

Quote:

Daryl:
Ah yes Clarsholm, I was there. I won the 185 yard Elk shoot hit it twice, with a 77# Hill. Those were the fun day's.

Bob

THAT is one hell of a shot.. 185 yards???

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#351056 - 03/03/21 05:02 AM

Good shooting Bob.
It had a wooden red circle for the heart - had to hit the heart to win. A fund raiser for the families of those men who lost their lives in a raft trip down the Stamp, I think, in Oregon on the way to the Long bow Safari.$1.00 a shot.
Taylor and I loosed about $40.00 or $50.00 of arrows each at that elk. Kept shooting over it. Lots of wind - difficult to judge for sure. There were not many arrows over that elk. We were both shooting Howard Hill bows, his the 64# and mine the 74# Tembo. Lost sight of the arrows and couldn't see where they were landing, to make adjustments. All North American Long Bow Safari competitions are shot with broadheads and wooden shafts. No field or target points allowed.
The shot commemorated Howard Hill's shot on the elk in Yellowstone in his film. 185 yards. His first shot over, second shot landed between it's legs, it kicked that arrow with a hind leg. The third arrow was through it's heart.
110 pound longbow "Grampa".
The next longbow safari I attended was Brownsville, Oregon where Tracy and I bought Fox Bows, and the next after that, was Sooke, B.C. on Vanvouver Island.
My wife Tracy placed 5th highest score overall out of 120 archers and 1st in the Women's competition, winning that one by 179 points over second place. She beat me by 74 points & Taylor, by 112. I think that was the first time I ever beat him. She shot like a machine overall, hitting the 95 yard laying down bull elk in the very centre of the sweet spot X ring, centre of the "5" area.
Ron Fox built her a bow for using one of his to win. She had bought that first 48# Fox bow at Brownsville from Ron. She had a dry fire on the new bow he made for her, due to a broken nock, so he built her another, a 36# target longbow. What a guy! At that time, she was B.C. champ.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#351074 - 03/03/21 10:33 PM

Thats some pretty good shooting..congrats to Tracy

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (04/03/21 03:18 AM)

aromakr
.375 member

#351104 - 05/03/21 01:44 AM

Daryl:

That must have been Safari #3 which was also at the Box-X ranch, I missed that one. I won the Elk at Safari #1. There was no kill marked you just needed to hit it, I had one in the body and one in the neck. Those early Safari's were a kick in the butt. It was like a big family, my wife and I made life long friends there. Some of which are still close today, after almost forty years. Small world isn't it!

Bob

Edited by aromakr (05/03/21 01:46 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

#351112 - 05/03/21 05:45 AM

Yes indeed, Bob. Would have sworn there was a heart marked. Maybe that was just how I "saw" that elk. Didn't hit it, lots of arrows though.
Yes - might have been #3. 1st Clarsholm, then Brownsville Oregon, then Sooke. I think #5 was Golden, B.C. That's where I tore 3 1/2 muscle groups(you only have 4)
off my right shoulder blade drawing a 110 pound bow to anchor. That was it for me, for 4 years.
Couple fly fishing friends of mine kept going to the Safaris, Big Dave and Lennard.

--------------------
Daryl

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #351128 - 05/03/21 04:17 PM

Quote:

Killing a Grizzly the Old-Fashioned Way: With a Longbow and a Stone-Point Arrowhead

The author set out to kill an Alaskan grizzly bear with sticks and stone. His journey took two years, countless arrows, and plenty of sleepless nights

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/huntin...bi4QZqp8JRhuJc8

The blokes I work with say I am an old Caring Understanding Nice Type but I ain't that old I need to hunt this way.

aromakr
.375 member

Re: Grizzly the old fashion way..Long bow and stone pt arrowhead [Re: Rule303]
      #351158 - 07/03/21 02:34 AM

Rule:

The difference being we don't need to hunt that way, we choose to hunt that way!!

Bob

DarylS
.700 member

#351159 - 07/03/21 04:54 AM

I noticed the archer used a "tree" stand as well.
I suspect I might too, if wanting to go after a grizzly.
It would have to be a tree he couldn't topple or shake me out of, but also too small in diameter for him to climb & without limbs which will aide a grizzly climbing a tree.
A tall order, perhaps, to find in a location suitable for killing a bear.

--------------------
Daryl

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #351163 - 07/03/21 11:00 AM

Quote:

Rule:

The difference being we don't need to hunt that way, we choose to hunt that way!!

Bob

Bob,

It is said in the flying world there are 4 stages to being a complete nut case: 1; Those that fly single engine aircraft 2; those that fly aircraft with no engine, 3; those that fly single engined aircraft at night, and the complete nut case 4; those who jump out of a perfectly sound aircraft.

The same could be said of those that hunt, guess who comes in at N04....................to help, those who hunt Dangerous Game with spears are No3.

To those who do hunt DG as a 3 or a 4 I dips me lid to you.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Grizzly the old fashion way..Long bow and stone pt arrowhead [Re: Rule303]
      #351173 - 07/03/21 01:19 PM

LOL - I should have added to the last post, THAT it's even worse if you have to find that grizzly non-climbable tree that you can climb, in a hurry.

I guess that's where the Mossberg M830 on the shoulder comes in handy.

We can't pack a hip gun here, so there are not many archery grizzly hunters here.

--------------------
Daryl

aromakr
.375 member

#351232 - 08/03/21 04:58 PM

Rule:

Every big Game animal we hunt can become dangerous under certain conditions , if that qualifies as being a nut case, so be it!

Bob

JHeath
.224 member

Reged: 26/07/21
Loc: British Columbia and Washingto...
      #357342 - 12/10/21 11:28 AM

I consistently read in historical accounts that natives would not consider attacking a grizzly except in groups, like 8 - 10 - 12 men. For example Lewis &Clark recorded this. It seems not to be specific to one tribe or nation, but across the board.

In one account from 1840s Canada, a British sportsman looked over an embankment and saw a grizzly sleeping below, an easy head shot. The Englishman cocked his rifle and was taking aim when he heard his native guide behind him cock his own rifle, ready to shoot the Englishman for breaking the rule.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3435

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com