Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Back in the Routine

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1
IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
Back in the Routine
      #35013 - 25/07/05 12:29 AM

How is everty ones practice going? I am getting a late start this year but should be @ 100% accuracy in short order.

I have started my exercise routine (5 mile runs w/ LOTS of hills) and my bow practice. This year my practice is done as follows.

First week practice:

20 yards...(3) groups of (5) arrows.
30 yards...(3) groups of (5) arrows.

Second week practice the above PLUS:
40 yards...(3) groups of (5) arrows.

Third weeks practice all the above PLUS:
50 yards...(3) groups of (5) arrows.

4th weeks practice All the above PLUS:
60 yards...(2) groups of (3) arrows.

After a months practice I am VERY comfortable taking shots at deer sized game to 40 yards. Elk sized game even further.

Practice during the season (basically September through Mid November)

As I actually start hunting I do not do as much practice but I still like to work in range time at least 3 times a week. Although not as intense as the pre- season practice. I usually do the following.

1. Walk out to 30 yards & do a single shot that I get off within 3 seconds. This is my "field condonditions" arrow.

2. I then do 20, 30 & 40 yrad groups. A single set @ each range with (3) hunting arrows that I keep with old broadheads. This keeps me in tune & lets me know if ANYTHING has changed on my bow.

This practice routine has worked very well for me & gives me the confidence necessary to "close the deal" when my shots opportunities arrive. It has evolved over the past 20 years of archery hunting.

Good luck every one! I hope it is a banner year for all.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Back in the Routine [Re: IronBuck]
      #35037 - 25/07/05 10:18 AM

Ironbuck

Is this a daily practice routine?

I am impressed, shots at 60 yards.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

IronBuck
.300 member

Re: Back in the Routine [Re: NitroX]
      #35042 - 25/07/05 11:41 AM

I do this at least 5 days a week. Sometimes I add a day on the weekend.

Taking the longer shots while practicing makes the more common game taking shots of 20-30 yards MUCH easier. Modern bows are able to accurately place shots out to 60-70 even 100 yards. For SOME archers, much farther. But keep in mind this would be SHOTS AT TARGETS. Not game. While they are accurate, they take time to arrive even when launched at initial velocities over 300 FPS. To much can go wrong while shooting at game in the time it takes an arrow to arrive on target.

Any long range shot that I would take on game would be under ideal conditions only. An animal that is calm & Unaware that I am around. And above all it must be absolutely still.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #35170 - 28/07/05 11:19 PM

Sounds like a good routine.

To add comment on long range at live targets, these are pretty difficult as normally you are going to run into branches, twigs, etc getting in the way of your "spot". Most of NA big game lives in brushy landscape. I'd have to say the same about African animals too.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

dstoj
.224 member

Reged: 14/08/04
      #35171 - 28/07/05 11:26 PM

That's a serious shooting routine you have there mate, know doubt it will hold you in good stead when that oppurtunity finally arrives.

I keep my shooting alive with year round 3D, man you got to love that game. State titles next month Do you shoot much 3D?

I had a great year so far getting a Fallow, Chamois and Tahr. I was hoping to hit the Sambar hard this year though with our first child expected in a couple of weeks, they will have to wait for now.

Anyhows good luck with your endevours mate, look forward to hearing of your exploits.

IronBuck
.300 member

Re: Back in the Routine [Re: dstoj]
      #35184 - 29/07/05 06:20 AM

Dstoj

I do 3-D shoots every now & then. They are fun. But I have a hard time finding the time to be more active in them. My archery range is in my yard so getting 45 minutes a day is easier because I do not have to make a special trip.

In reply to:

I had a great year so far getting a Fallow, Chamois and Tahr

Sounds like you did have a great year. I'd love to see some pictures here if you could post them.

In reply to:

our first child expected in a couple of weeks

A GREAT big congrats to you & I wish you & your lady well on a safe delivery. LOTS of fun ahead that's for sure.

dstoj
.224 member

#35360 - 02/08/05 10:59 PM

In reply to:

A GREAT big congrats to you & I wish you & your lady well on a safe delivery. LOTS of fun ahead that's for sure

Hey thanx mate, not long to go now

Recently returned from NZ, the bro and I finally got lucky on the Tahr.
Here's a few pix.

Edited by dstoj (02/08/05 11:02 PM)

IronBuck
.300 member

Re: Back in the Routine [Re: dstoj]
      #35373 - 03/08/05 03:21 AM

Fantastic pictures. Looks like some outstanding country. I am not familiar with tahr. How big do they get? (Weight & horn size) Looks like they have a nice hide. And it looks like they like the steep stuff

Congrats on some fine bow kills.

dstoj
.224 member

#35463 - 04/08/05 11:14 PM

Himalayan Tahr inhabit the steep bluffy regions of NZ's south island. A mature bull can weigh up to 90kg and a outstanding head would be 15incher. Our bull's measured (1st pic mine) just on 12 inch, while Tony's was a nice 12 1/2 incher with heavy 9 inch bases. Their hides a definitely thick, no fear of nicking the skin thats for sure. Packing out the spoils of this hunt was such fun.
Here's a typical example of Tahr habitat found on the westcoast of NZ 2 1/2 days walk for the road. The bluffs we glassed held many Tahr.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2315

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com