Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: AYA shotgun are always excellent

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
AYA shotgun are always excellent
      #372663 - 27/12/22 02:19 AM

Quote:

Oxford Gun Company: An AYA No.2 12 bore with 28" barrels
Call Doug in the gun room to enquire (01844 238308) about this fabulous value-for-money side-by-side.

Edit code: Temp location

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: AYA shotgun are always excellent [Re: NitroX]
      #372666 - 27/12/22 04:31 AM

In 1998 I went for a gun fitting and ordered a made to measure AyA No. 4/53.
I received it in time to spend a few weeks on the clays course to make sure all was in order and started hunting with it in the autumn of 2000.
This gun has served me very well over the last 22 years and at last count a few years ago, it has digested well over 12,000 rounds.
Besides thousands of clays, I’ve taken a large variety of fowl from Mourning Doves to Greater Canada Geese and everything inbetween.
It has never failed to fire, it still locks up like a bank vault.
Value for your hard earned money is a gross understatement. If you’re in the market for a fine shotgun, I cannot recommend them enough.

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: AYA shotgun are always excellent [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #372920 - 06/01/23 10:04 PM

My Azhur is very alike to the Ayas. I wonder if they are the same maker?

Not ignoring the excellent answers given in this thread. As we know rebranding can occur. Doesn't matter either way.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=355212&an=0&page=0&vc=1

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (06/01/23 10:12 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #372927 - 07/01/23 04:53 AM

While not even remotely close to the quality of these shotguns, I had an AYA "Matador" 10 bore back when lead was still allowed for waterfowl. I 'worked' on the chokes as they were VERY tight and only printed modified, 66% patterns with factory #2's. The tubes were tight too, I think and the gun used to loosen the base wads in WW ammo. I modified some dies, and started loading for it, along with working on the chokes.
I got it, with a load of 54gr. Blue Dot and ounces of #2's or #3(Blimeister shot from Alberta) printing 94% right barrel, 96% left barrel in 30" at 40yards. A duck silhouette "took" 182 hits using 2 ounces of #5's. I sold it along with a very tight shooting (choke work) Browning Citori after steel shot "came in".

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: AYA shotgun are always excellent [Re: DarylS]
      #372936 - 07/01/23 07:13 AM

From what I have read and going by a mate who owns one of their SXS, AYA make an excellent gun for the price.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: AYA shotgun are always excellent [Re: Rule303]
      #372971 - 08/01/23 07:46 PM

Quote:

From what I have read and going by a mate who owns one of their SXS, AYA make an excellent gun for the price.

I think $800 for the Azhur was an excellent price. An AYA if one could be found was two or three times that. I'm guessing a lot more now. I remember in Brit magazines in Pounds Stirling, several thousand. A small percentage of a Holland & Holland.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

.375 member

Reged: 15/02/11
Loc: NT Australia
      #372974 - 08/01/23 08:28 PM

Here's a few pics of My AYA #1

win M22 top, AYA bottom

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: AYA shotgun are always excellent [Re: 264]
      #372975 - 08/01/23 08:36 PM

Very nice Mick.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#372982 - 09/01/23 04:30 AM

Yes indeed. All of these AYA's are top shelf & much more elaborate than mine was.

--------------------
Daryl

Rule303
.416 member

#372987 - 09/01/23 06:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think $800 for the Azhur was an excellent price. An AYA if one could be found was two or three times that. I'm guessing a lot more now. I remember in Brit magazines in Pounds Stirling, several thousand. A small percentage of a Holland & Holland.

He bought his for several hundred $ back in the mid 70's. Certainly no more than $500. Brand new and most likely bottom of the range. It was a Box Lock action, the type I prefer.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for a Azhur.

Edited by Rule303 (09/01/23 06:32 PM)

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: AYA shotgun are always excellent [Re: 264]
      #372988 - 09/01/23 10:10 PM

Quote:

Here's a few pics of My AYA #1

win M22 top, AYA bottom

Lovely piece of kit there Mick!
Much prefer the fine filigree engraving like yours presents, not overdone at all, just to highlight the action & give a plain action some real character.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: AYA shotgun are always excellent [Re: 93x64mm]
      #372989 - 09/01/23 11:24 PM

My own AYA is much more humble than the sidelocks. I bought it used about 35 years ago from an unknowing dealer as a “cheap Spanish shotgun” at DMark 350.-, about US$ 175.- then. It’s an AYA XXV, a model they once built to Robert Churchill’s recipe. It’s a humble 12 g boxlock ejector with Purdey underbolting. Proofed in 1973. But the chopper lump barrels with a narrow Churchill rib are 27” long, instead of 25” usual of that model. They are choked ¼ and ¾. Weight is 2.95 kg = 6.45 lbs with perfect balance. It’s my “go to” shotgun as I tend to hit with it.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: AYA shotgun are always excellent [Re: kuduae]
      #372993 - 10/01/23 05:53 AM

Nice, and an excellent reason for it's use.
roving pic removed - too large

Edited by DarylS (10/01/23 05:58 AM)

93x64mm
.416 member

#372994 - 10/01/23 06:47 AM

Quote:

My own AYA is much more humble than the sidelocks. I bought it used about 40 years ago from an unknowing dealer as a “cheap Spanish shotgun” at DMark 350.-, about US$ 175.- then. It’s an AYA XXV, a model they once built to Robert Churchill’s recipe. It’s a humble 12 g boxlock ejector with Purdey underbolting. Proofed in 1973. But the chopper lump barrels with a narrow Churchill rib are 27” long, instead of 25” usual of that model. They are choked ¼ and ¾. Weight is 2.95 kg = 6.45 lbs with perfect balance. It’s my “go to” shotgun as I tend to hit with it.

Do you have some form of hand protector on the barrels for this old girl of yours kuduae?
Would be good when the barrel heats up & also against wear of the bluing if you carry it a lot

kuduae
.400 member

#372997 - 10/01/23 08:33 AM

Quote:

Do you have some form of hand protector on the barrels for this old girl of yours kuduae?

Yes, it's a traditional English "Barrel Hand Protector", made in England. Made of spring steel, leather covered inside and out. I forgot where and when I bought it, probably in some English gunshop many years ago. It slides on the barrels, leaving the top open. I found these first mentioned in the 1912 Westley Richards catalog. Quite practical as I shoot the gun Robert Churchill style, left hand well before the splinter foreend.
When I was a teen, I read a German translation of Robert Churchill's book on shotgun shooting and learned a lot. Since then I wanted to have a real Churchill, but they were far beyond my price range. This AYA was the closest thing I could afford and it served me well all those years.

DarylS
.700 member

#372998 - 10/01/23 10:04 AM

Same here, barrels grip on my "Field" 12 bore. They do get warm with BP loads when shooting trap at Rendezvous.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: AYA shotgun are always excellent [Re: DarylS]
      #373006 - 10/01/23 04:14 PM

Kuduae, very nice usable shotgun.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rule303
.416 member

#373007 - 10/01/23 05:40 PM

Quote:

My own AYA is much more humble than the sidelocks. I bought it used about 40 years ago from an unknowing dealer as a “cheap Spanish shotgun” at DMark 350.-, about US$ 175.- then. It’s an AYA XXV, a model they once built to Robert Churchill’s recipe. It’s a humble 12 g boxlock ejector with Purdey underbolting. Proofed in 1973. But the chopper lump barrels with a narrow Churchill rib are 27” long, instead of 25” usual of that model. They are choked ¼ and ¾. Weight is 2.95 kg = 6.45 lbs with perfect balance. It’s my “go to” shotgun as I tend to hit with it.

That looks very much like the one the mate had.

93x64mm
.416 member

#373008 - 10/01/23 10:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, it's a traditional English "Barrel Hand Protector", made in England. Made of spring steel, leather covered inside and out. I forgot where and when I bought it, probably in some English gunshop many years ago. It slides on the barrels, leaving the top open. I found these first mentioned in the 1912 Westley Richards catalog. Quite practical as I shoot the gun Robert Churchill style, left hand well before the splinter foreend.
When I was a teen, I read a German translation of Robert Churchill's book on shotgun shooting and learned a lot. Since then I wanted to have a real Churchill, but they were far beyond my price range. This AYA was the closest thing I could afford and it served me well all those years.

Well you can get them!
I suppose if you had a double rifle they might be okay fit wise for the smaller calibres, but once up in bore size I'd say it would be best in using a glove
https://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/product/leather-hand-guards-12-20-16-28ga-410/
&
https://www.ant-supplies.uk/shotgun-accessories/shotgun-barrel-handguards.html

kuduae
.400 member

#373009 - 11/01/23 12:09 AM

Quote:

I suppose if you had a double rifle they might be okay fit wise for the smaller calibres,

Had that idea years ago. Such a handguard insulates not only from heat in Africa or Australia, but from cold in wintertime Germany too. Here you see a 28 ga handguard on my .500-450 Nr.1 BPE

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#373047 - 11/01/23 11:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'll have to give that shooting hold method a try.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#373048 - 11/01/23 11:59 PM

Quote:

It’s my “go to” shotgun as I tend to hit with it.

My Azhur used to be my go to shotgun for non rough country shooting. By rough I mean swamps etc where the lovely shotgun is more likely to get damaged. Another is fox drives, both where the old Greener Empire might go instead.

My Azhur used to be the go to gun. But all of sudden I couldn't hit anything with it. Years of using a side by side where everyone else used an under and over, with reasonable shooting results. All if a sudden wasn't hitting anything ... So eventually succumbed to cockeyedness and used an under and over. My Tikka/Valmet 512 shotgun, rifle system.

I find the stock on my Azhur a Little short now? It used to be fine? It has no recoil pad, just wood. So maybe a slip on pad might work? Or learn to use it again like I used to. I should be using my own clay thrower weekly instead of rarely.

Azhur, or azure fits me in a different way. Azure and Argenta are the family coat of arms colours. A blue and silver.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (19/08/23 03:37 AM)

kuduae
.400 member

#373063 - 12/01/23 09:55 AM

Quote:

I find the stock on my Azhur a Little short now? It used to be fine?

Quote:

You certainly should! According to Churchill, the length of the stock is not very critical. Within limits, a short stock may be compensated for by simply gripping the barrels a bit farther forward.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#373638 - 30/01/23 07:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I find the stock on my Azhur a Little short now? It used to be fine?

Quote:

You certainly should! According to Churchill, the length of the stock is not very critical. Within limits, a short stock may be compensated for by simply gripping the barrels a bit farther forward.

Something unexpected arrived in the post today.

A book on the Churchill method. I haven't looked at it yet.

Many thanks to Kuduae for the gift! What do I owe you for it? Something you would like? Please tell.

Many thanks. It will be interesting to read and try out itscrecommendations.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #373670 - 31/01/23 02:58 PM

I've enjoyed this thread immensely. 63 years ago my dad graduated me from my Savage hammerless 220 20ga single shot to a 20ga AYA Matador, an SST/Ejector nicely finished entry level SXS. It was my pride and joy, but it was lost in a home burglary when I was 20.

About a dozen years ago my stepson was shooting a cheap and simple Smith & Wesson 916 pump gun, and he had always eyed my doubles. He's a big strong guy and shoots 12ga guns.

An old friend was quitting hunting and had a 12ga Matador in sound condition. He gave me a sweet deal on it, and for years now it's been Kevin's favorite shotgun.

I was looking at it in detail a few months ago, and I was impressed with the general fit and finish of the gun. The early Matadors were finished very well for relatively inexpensive guns.

Thanks to all who posted photos of their AYAs. Shotgun eye candy is always appreciated.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Edited by luv2safari (31/01/23 03:00 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3365

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com