Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Help loading an 8 bore shotgun

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
bigboar
.224 member

Reged: 05/02/09
Loc: NewEngland
Help loading an 8 bore shotgun
      #328466 - 18/05/19 01:12 AM

I have an 8 gauge SxS buy W. Parkhurst. The barrels are laminated (Damascus). That aside, I plan to shoot it a little with modest black powder loads. After 24 hours of google searches, I dont find much for components.

I do see some industrial cases maybe available someplace. where? I cannot find new industrial 8 ga cases. If I could get a box, then I need to try and size off the belt. Anyone done that? The ideal would be brass, priced along the lines of what I can easily find in 10 Ga. Maybe 2x would be reasonable, not 10x custom machine shop brass. Although, if I had a drawing, I might try and DIY some cases.

I located wads at track of the wolf for a muzzle loading 8bore. Are these the right size for loading in shells or do I need to go a little larger?

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search.aspx?search=8%20gauge

Any suggestions on what might constitute a modest proof test as a percentage of the working load? I did not research loads yet. I was planning on 2 7/8 10 ga black powder load. That would be a max for me. Easy on me and the gun. And proof with a full (or normal) 8ga load. Comments?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Help loading an 8 bore shotgun [Re: bigboar]
      #328468 - 18/05/19 02:11 AM

Need to do a measurement of the chamber as well as the bore size to know the size needed for 'shells' and wads.
For me, that would be a first step if I decided the gun was suitable for shooting.
The pressures generated for a BP 8-bore load will be quite low.
Brass cases can be turned, however, perhaps the chamber is meant for much thicker paper cases.
Loads are likely printed in Grener's "The Gun and it's Development" 9th edition.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Help loading an 8 bore shotgun [Re: DarylS]
      #328477 - 18/05/19 05:12 AM

what daryl says, chamber cast + slug the barrel
RMC https://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/i...ts%20Prices.pdf
will make you brass

and cycle fly mad wads

https://circlefly.com/products

the old eley catalogs giving a 8 ga load of 164 grains black powder and 982,52 grains shot but this depends on your shell.

reloading shotgun ammo with black powder is easy as possible. your shell or metall case having an internal space. withdraw the space for your wads and filled in equal shares with black powder and shot. thats all!

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: Help loading an 8 bore shotgun [Re: lancaster]
      #328480 - 18/05/19 05:55 AM

I have two 8gas and I buy everything I need from precision reloading. You would be better off to stick with the winchester 8ga industrial hulls. I made my swedging die.

bigboar
.224 member

Re: Help loading an 8 bore shotgun [Re: Wayne59]
      #328482 - 18/05/19 07:23 AM

OK, this is great information. I have book marked RMC and Precision. I am taking notes and figuring things out. Precision has the industrial cases. That is the main hurdle. And RMC makes brass and that remains an option. I am leaning toward 100 plastic hulls over 10 brass.

My chambers are 3 3/4! I can use 3 1/4 or 3 1/2 no problem.

Wayne59
.400 member

#328484 - 18/05/19 08:44 AM

You can use rem 8ga wads and an over shot card. Glue the overshot card in with a hot glue gun or roll crimp with one of there roll crimp tools. Cases last longer if you glue in the over shot wad. I use blue Dot powder. Bp in plastic cases in the doses an 8ga would use will burn right through the case in one loading. Make sure your gun is solid before shooting.

DarylS
.700 member

#328491 - 18/05/19 01:22 PM

Quote:

Bp in plastic cases in the doses an 8ga would use will burn right through the case in one loading.

TKS for that note, Wayne, I did not suspect that, however a 7 dram load in a 12 bore hull really 'cooks' them on the inside.
I just used to throw the 12 bore hulls away, but with 8 or 10 bore hulls, that would be expensive.

--------------------
Daryl

lancaster
.470 member

#328492 - 18/05/19 01:58 PM

thats the problem with plastic, brass is expensive in the start but will stay very long.
especially if you have brass cases with the thick wall like a paper shell.if you buy 30 brass cases that will be enough, imho.

--------------------

bigboar
.224 member

#328529 - 20/05/19 12:29 AM

That plastic hull tip saved me a lot of time and money. I will assume this warning also applies to having a plastic shot cup in direct contact with the fire. Too modify a phrase from a movies "I love the smell of black powder in the morning".

DarylS
.700 member

#328534 - 20/05/19 01:14 AM

If brass is too thin for a chamber that is possibly meant for paper, card tubes can be placed inside the brass case to take up extra space.
If you could get on a lathe and turn some out, boring brass to make the thick wall would also work, if you are into such "work".
Burning plastic (when right against the powder) and coating the bore with it is not good.

--------------------
Daryl

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #328563 - 20/05/19 05:31 AM

Bigboar check your PM messages, Kiln Gun cases are the way to go, don't use the Gulandi or any plastic wads with BP, Fiber,Felt & I think Cork for that job, but lots of good tested Nitro loads out there, Blue Dot mainly, I have two 8 bore's only shoot a Tolley right now .

Winchester Industrial cases 6 drams FF=164gr BP, 2 1/2oz No3 lead shot, lighter load came with the gun but again lots of good nitro load info around & tested .

Remington cases are meant to be stronger/better but Winchester have been easier to obtain for free/cheap.

Wayne59
.400 member

Re: Help loading an 8 bore shotgun [Re: Sarg]
      #328564 - 20/05/19 07:06 AM

You don't use the plastic wad with Bp. You use fiber wads with Bp. Plastic wads are used with nitro loads.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Help loading an 8 bore shotgun [Re: Sarg]
      #328585 - 20/05/19 01:20 PM

Sarge, Good to see you back mate.

Sorry about the small diversion to the opening thread. Back to 8 bores.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

cadet
.224 member

Reged: 10/09/07
Loc: Western Victoria, Australia
Re: Help loading an 8 bore shotgun [Re: NitroX]
      #328612 - 21/05/19 08:40 AM

Precision reloading for cases, unless you have a contact in a cement works; Remington cases can have the second layer "peeled" off the head using a chisel, mallet and pliers to fit a sporting chamber, although resizing can be done, and looks neater; the winchesters I've seen have the step for the industrial cases formed all in one, rather than as a second layer, and the rim was a bit too big to fit the sizing dies I had access too (wish I could solve that problem... have about 500 cheap Winnie cases I can't yet use). 21mm wad punch (or 22mm; my bore is actually 9/1, so 21mm works), card and cork floor tiles supplies all the wadding you'll ever need. I managed to get a roll crimper from France on ebay for a pretty penny, but you could glue overshot cards. Tom Armbrust wrote a book (available electronically) with some useful - and pressure tested - load data; even handier in Australia once you figure out that most Hodgdon powders are actually ADI. All other quirks re BP and plastic are as per above; I tend to use some lower pressure smokeless loads to preserve precious cases - but I don't see the point of having an 8 bore if I'm not belching 2oz or more of lead every time I press the trigger.

Edited by cadet (21/05/19 08:44 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Help loading an 8 bore shotgun [Re: cadet]
      #328615 - 21/05/19 09:50 AM

2oz should be an almost "square" load - isn't it?
That sounds about perfect to me.

I had a friend, now gone, who used a 6 bore SxS percussion ball and shot gun for the trap portion of the turkey shoots he attended. This SxS had 36" tubes and weighed about 12 to 13 pounds. Once started, you couldn't stop your swing if you wanted to.

He'd sent the gun to H&H, for "re-furbishing" and they returned it, in lovely shape, as a 5 bore - the bores gleamed brand new.
Wil punched out his own wads - donna-conna and cork & heavy card stock.
He used only 2 to 2 1/2oz of 8's and just pulverized the birds. I think, maybe 5 drams 1F.

I found this on 8 bore loading.

"The Dixie Gunworks catalog has a lot of data on the old guns in the back. 270 grains (9 7/8 drams) is the Defintive PROOF load. The Provisional Proof is 394 grains (17 1/2 drams). No wonder they fired them by remote control in an amoured room.

The Service load is 135 grains (4 15/16 drams) and a 763 grain ball or 1 13/16 ounces of shot. Wonder why they cut it to the 16th ounce on the bigger gauges when they didn't on the smaller ones?"

--------------------
Daryl

bigboar
.224 member

#328617 - 21/05/19 10:38 AM

Sarg, I got your messages. Thank you. I will look for the book. Tom Armbush also posted by Cadet.

I am pretty determined to use black powder. Buying brass hulls is more difficult than I expected. GAD was supposed to offer those. I called they said No. RMC website says the business is for sale and delivery may run many months out. I sent an email. I could use the lowest cost industrial plastic and shoot those one time. That may get me back to Precision, one stop shopping.

cadet
.224 member

Reged: 10/09/07
Loc: Western Victoria, Australia
      #328619 - 21/05/19 11:12 AM

8 bore is 8 lead balls to the lb, so a 2 oz (ie 2oz x 8 balls = 16oz = 1lb) load should be spot on, even a tad light as a service load, given other gauges often enough have shot weights a little beyond their round ball capacity.
Armbrust's loads tend to be in the 1 1/2 oz - 2 1/2 oz range, both BP and nitro.
Somewhere in Greener is suggested a service load of 2 1/4oz / 6 drams.
The guns were made for it, and I just see no point in putting a tiny load through a big gun.

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #328620 - 21/05/19 11:20 AM

Quote:

....RMC website says the business is for sale and delivery may run many months out. I sent an email. I could use the lowest cost industrial plastic and shoot those one time.......

Forget email, give RMC a phone call, they do answer the phone, and are still busy making brass.

" many months out???" I just did an order for custom dimension 12 bore brass for my Lyon & Lyon double rifle......less than 8 weeks from initial contact to delivery at my door, and no extra setup charge.
Of course your milage may vary.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

bigboar
.224 member

Re: Help loading an 8 bore shotgun [Re: 3DogMike]
      #328637 - 22/05/19 01:14 AM

I got a very good reply back from RMC. I mean informative. The 8ga shells are $124 per 10 for the 3 1/2 length and delivery is estimated at 3 month out. The brass stock is different for the 8ga than 12. They are currently out of that brass. Before I commit to a 3 month wait, I want to do a bit more homework. I do take the recommendations given here very seriously.

I did find a source for old winchester 8ga brass. Used brass. That cost is about the same as new, lathe turned brass. Could anyone comment on the risks vs benefits of using old brass. I know it might split. Heck I have 20 year old pistol ammo that is splitting when I shoot it. What are the odds? On the other hand I have read some negative opinions on lathe turned brass vs drawn or whatever is the normal production method.

There is also mention of thick wall vs thin wall brass. I dont if I have any choice and if I did, I dont know which is better. Or the trade off. Or available components for one vs the other.

I am trying to work within my limited retirement budget. You might say champagne taste on a Budweiser budget. Actually I can afford one bottle, but; making 8 bore mistakes will really hurt the wallet.

DarylS
.700 member

#328639 - 22/05/19 02:15 AM

Cerosafe casting the chamber to see what the chamber is meant for - brass or paper would be my first step.

trackofthewolf and most likely Brownell's have cerosafe.

--------------------
Daryl

lancaster
.470 member

#328644 - 22/05/19 03:56 AM

there is no problem if you anneal the old 8 bore brass. did it with 100 years old military brass for the 8x58RD. without its hopeless and split the first time.
after annealing the brass its close to be new.

--------------------

bigboar
.224 member

#328649 - 22/05/19 05:10 AM

lancaster good tip. Thanks.

daryl,

Not clear to me what that information will do to limit my options? Brass can be turned to any OD. So; eventually I may need that. Plastic will expand to fill any chamber size. I dont have a spec for old Winchester brass or paper.

My best measurement is the chamber has no taper and measures somewhere around 0.935 to 0.938

I found CIP spec for modern plastic 8ga (not the industrial USA loads). Nothing on any brass old or new.

CIP modern ammo has a chamber that starts with a diameter forward of the rim of 0.931 min to 0.935 max and it tapers down from that.

Wayne59
.400 member

#328650 - 22/05/19 05:17 AM

Keep in mind that used brass has already been fired. Do you have a resizing die. Will the brass drop into your chamber un-sized. The new brass will be thicker than the old brass and will require different size wads. Check track of the wolf for wad size before making a decision.

DarylS
.700 member

#328658 - 22/05/19 10:16 AM

Wayne brings up the reason for knowing that the chamber is: ie: wad diameter.

A thin brass case needs larger wads due to the thinner brass.

Turned brass cases will likely be thicker, however, if the chamber & bore is cut for thin factory brass, your wads will need to be larger in diameter.

Paper cases used smaller diameter wads due to the thickness of the paper case.

If you use thick case walls in a chamber that is meant for thin brass, the wads will likely be undersized for the 'larger' bore.

It is a good thing, to know, rather than guess at what you have for a gun.

--------------------
Daryl

bigboar
.224 member

#328659 - 22/05/19 10:35 AM

I get it. I measured the chamber. Call it 936. With all due respect, what does this tell me? I mean specific to my chamber, 936. Does that say anything about using old Winchester brass or new industrial plastic with the belt sized down?

When you say paper, do you mean plastic? Because I dont see any paper cases in 8 anywhere.

It seems I have no choice but to buy the brass (or plastic) and measure the hull ID. Then buy the wads or punches. It has little to do with my gun. That is unless I split all the cases due to 936. Can someone tell me will factory old Winchester brass fit 936?

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7590

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com