Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Browning A5--history

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Browning A5--history
      #324777 - 17/02/19 01:40 PM

Browning A5 Shotgun History

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/history-of-the-browning-a5-shotgun-gun-stories/248006

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Browning A5--history [Re: Ripp]
      #324782 - 17/02/19 03:58 PM

never had one but love the A5

have the A5 manual, will post it

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Browning A5--history [Re: lancaster]
      #324788 - 17/02/19 10:31 PM

I had a pre-War A5 I inherited from my grandfather. It had the safety in the front of the trigger guard bow, like an M1 Garand, fast and easy to use, even with gloves on. I killed the first quail I ever shot at with it.

It was my favorite until I got a Browning Superposed and got used to shooting it. Then, for some reason, I became aware of the noise the A5 mechanism makes when cycling and found it distracting, so I passed it on to my brother. Before that, many a quail, duck and crow had fallen victim to it.

450_EXPRESS
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/09
Loc: S.C.Montana
Re: Browning A5--history [Re: xausa]
      #324794 - 18/02/19 02:22 AM

Yep I agree on the noise thing. Back when I was a teen, (early '70's) my cousin and I would load up a bag of shotshells, with the Mec 600 jr we bought, and do a lot of "let's see what happens" shooting out at the grandparents place. I had my Ithaca/SKB double and he had an A-5, one time we swapped guns. One shot out of that thing was enough, scared the crap out of me with all that clanging and shit, 'bout threw the thing. Lots of folks like them, but not enough barrels and too many parts for me.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Browning A5--history [Re: 450_EXPRESS]
      #324797 - 18/02/19 04:26 AM

Had one for a while- that sharp lump at the rear of the action was the turn-off for me. There was too much drop and I was always looking at that lump when I cheeked the gun to shoot at a bird. Instead of simply re-stocking it or padding up the comb, I traded it for a Sportsman 48 - Remington SA when I was 16, seems to me.

The Reminton fit and shot well for me. I really liked the action's power adjuster for light or heavy loads.

I NEVER hit anything with the third shot from either of those guns, but always fired it. LOL

I then went to a SxS's and O/U's. My 'scores' were unchanged - usually 2 hits when I wasn't screwing up.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Browning A5--history [Re: DarylS]
      #324806 - 18/02/19 06:01 AM

Quote:

Had one for a while- that sharp lump at the rear of the action was the turn-off for me. There was too much drop and I was always looking at that lump when I cheeked the gun to shoot at a bird. Instead of simply re-stocking it or padding up the comb, I traded it for a Sportsman 58 or 48 - Remington SA when I was 16, seems to me.

The Reminton fit and shot well for me. I really liked the action's power adjuster for light or heavy loads.

I NEVER hit anything with the third shot from either of those guns, but always fired it. LOL

I then went to a SxS's and O/U's. My 'scores' were unchanged - usually 2 hits when I wasn't screwing up.

I felt the same way.. couldn't get past the hump..but, know many really liked them.. so, whatever, its a big world out there, choose what you prefer and go with it..

Agree,, once I went to SXS shotguns, have never gone back.. other than packing a Mossberg loaded with slugs/buckshot in bear country, really have not shot a pump or semi-auto shotgun for hunting in a long time..

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #324818 - 18/02/19 12:17 PM

Thanks for posting that, RIPP!

Loved the Hump!

Great guns.

Have had a few over the years. None now.

************************************************************************************

Imagine it's October 12, 1907 and you are 14 and old one-eyed GAR-member Hiram MacCallum, the guy that owns the quarter section down the road from you is still shooting ducks in his stock pond with a 16 gauge front-loading Springfield Forager, and your old man arrives home from the stockyards with a box, grinning ear-to-ear.

You ask what's up and he opens the box and pulls out a strange-looking Thing that sort of resembles a gun because it has a trigger and a skinny tube out front.

He says "Let's go" and you stroll after him as you head for the clump of oak trees down by the creek. On the way, he pulls out a handfull of shotshells, sort of clumsily thumbs them into the guts of the Thing and points at a clump of dirt about 15 paces away and says "Watch this!"

"WHHAM/WHHAM/WHHAM/WHHAM/WHHAM" spews out of the skinny end faster than you can think it and the clump of dirt is now a divot.

You blurt out "Golldarnit Father am I on a bash or did I see that for reals!"

A short interlude occurs while your old man grills you about hard liquor but after that he puffs up and says: "Son, you just saw what you saw!"

Three hours later you and your old man float back home, you carrying 3 and he 4 big fox squirrels and you in your front and back overall pockets all the empty hulls. 5 being the old Black Powder shells and 3 the New-Fangled Smokeless ones from a box of Number 6's your old man packed back with the Thing.

The Thing not knowing a lick of difference.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Browning A5--history [Re: 9.3x57]
      #324819 - 18/02/19 02:09 PM

LOL - good story.

I found WW 3" 1oz at 1,750fps were very accurate (accurate enough) out to 30yards from my rifled Mossberg 835.
1 1/2" C to C for 5 shots with the rifle's open sights.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Browning A5--history [Re: DarylS]
      #324824 - 18/02/19 06:55 PM

Being a young whipper snapper in the late 70's my mate's dad had an old A5 that he used to get rid of wallabies raiding his tomato crops - I learnt a very valuable lesson on hand & head placement that day!
I did a running/snap shot at one that bolted at our feet - but boy did that old gun (Belgium made) belt me a beauty across the nose!
My eyes were watering so bad I couldn't see if I got the little bugger or not, my mate was laughing so hard he nearly burst a boiler! Damn thing must have been loaded with hot loads, they were real thumpers to say the least!
Mind you I got over the embarrassment & joined in after everything settled down, I still don't know if I even got the blighter after all that - frightened the crap out of him (& me)!
Bloody good fun regardless!

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Browning A5--history [Re: 93x64mm]
      #324842 - 19/02/19 03:03 AM

Quote:

Being a young whipper snapper in the late 70's my mate's dad had an old A5 that he used to get rid of wallabies raiding his tomato crops - I learnt a very valuable lesson on hand & head placement that day!
I did a running/snap shot at one that bolted at our feet - but boy did that old gun (Belgium made) belt me a beauty across the nose!
My eyes were watering so bad I couldn't see if I got the little bugger or not, my mate was laughing so hard he nearly burst a boiler! Damn thing must have been loaded with hot loads, they were real thumpers to say the least!
Mind you I got over the embarrassment & joined in after everything settled down, I still don't know if I even got the blighter after all that - frightened the crap out of him (& me)!
Bloody good fun regardless!

That is a very funny story....

Found a bit more history on this ..
https://www.range365.com/auto-5-shotgun#page-7

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #324843 - 19/02/19 03:11 AM

Shirley and Vanderlinden's book on the A5 {Belgian production} is excellent.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

lancaster
.470 member

Re: Browning A5--history [Re: 9.3x57]
      #324851 - 19/02/19 06:45 AM

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Browning A5--history [Re: lancaster]
      #324855 - 19/02/19 09:39 AM

Thanks for posting all of that Lancaster and 9.3x57..good info

Was thinking of this earlier today, the one I actually really enjoyed shooting was a friends Sweet 16 ...for whatever reason, assuming fit, it was a nice shooting and accurate shotgun for me..that was a long long time ago...30+ years..

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (19/02/19 09:39 AM)

ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
      #324934 - 20/02/19 01:00 PM

i have three and a model 11 remington in 16.one prewar one 60s model and one short barrel japanese one. but my favorite is the browning double auto it's the 20 weight. all have quick load.been pondering the new sweet sixteen.

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Browning A5--history [Re: ducmarc]
      #324955 - 20/02/19 10:29 PM

I have a double auto as well (designed by Val Browning, if I remember correctly), but shooting it cooled my enthusiasm for it considerably. It's a twelve gauge and the recoil was punishing. I don't remember ever being hit that hard by a shotgun in the past.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Browning A5--history [Re: xausa]
      #324960 - 21/02/19 01:04 AM

Quote:

I have a double auto as well (designed by Val Browning, if I remember correctly), but shooting it cooled my enthusiasm for it considerably. It's a twelve gauge and the recoil was punishing. I don't remember ever being hit that hard by a shotgun in the past. [/quote)

Years ago while traveling in the back lands of N Dakota I saw a sign for a farm action.. knowing there are typically guns for sale at those I pulled in to check it out.. in the end I ended up purchasing a SXS 10 gauge shotgun.. along with several boxed of shells for it.. driving home and excited about my new purchase.. my wife and I went outside to shoot the new shotgun.. set up a couple of targets, backed up a bit and pulled the trigger.. BOOOOMMM.. both barrels went at once... thought at first I was just me.. so I loaded one barrel and left the other empty..shot again, both had disengaged... so, took that thing to a local gunsmith to have it fixed..THAT was the hardest shotgun recoil I had ever felt.. Once fixed, many geese fell prey to its extended reach...but, one barrel at a time..

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#324966 - 21/02/19 04:38 AM

if you dont fix it it have double your chance every time

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4334

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com