Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Charles Daly O/U

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Charles Daly O/U
      #227570 - 27/03/13 01:55 AM

Do we have any gunsmiths out there that are familiar with this shotgun. I have one of the early ones made in Japan, that misfires on the top barrel. I have tried replacing the main spring which is a flat/V spring. To my knowledge there is only one manufacture that still supplies this type of spring and I think they are using a lighter spring than what the factory supplied. At first it would only misfire once or twice every box of shells, now its a constant misfire. Can anyone offer any help. The replacement spring was no help.
Bob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jaguarxk120
.224 member

Reged: 29/11/07
Loc: Michigan, USA
Re: Charles Daly O/U [Re: aromakr]
      #227787 - 01/04/13 05:28 AM

Chances are there is dirt/crud in the firing pin recess cusioning the hammer blow.

Gadge
.300 member

Reged: 02/05/04
Loc: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia
Re: Charles Daly O/U [Re: jaguarxk120]
      #228717 - 14/04/13 01:13 PM

Yep, a strip and clean is indicated. After 40+ years, lubricants can tend to get gummy, and crud builds up.

That would be one of the early Miroku made guns, by the sound of it. Wisners is the only supplier of springs for these that I know of.

You might want to read through their very comprehensive info page on Miroku's, as they do say that their replacement springs are not necessarily a drop-in, and some fitting may be required.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/Mirokusprings.html

--------------------
Cheers,
Doug

aromakr
.375 member

Re: Charles Daly O/U [Re: Gadge]
      #228818 - 16/04/13 04:53 AM

Gagde;
I've discovered that the problem is the Wisner springs. The problem started after I sold the gun to a good friend of mine, who took it to the local gunsmith to be cleaned. He also suggested the springs be changed and did so with Wisner springs, then the upper barrel started misfiring, three more trips to the gunsmith and it was still misfiring. So I brought the gun home to work on my self. I removed the spring and did a tracing of it, then ordered a new spring also for Wisner. When it arrived I compared it to the removed spring and discovered the new spring was about 1/4 higher.
Put the new spring in place and everything was fine for about 20 shots, then misfiring started again. I removed the new spring and compared it to the old one, the profiles were exactly the same. My conclusion is that Wisner are not heat treating their springs properly, and of course the original springs have been discarded, so I'm at a loss for an answer.
Bob

granhaven
.224 member

Reged: 30/12/08
Loc: Denmark
      #228824 - 16/04/13 06:21 AM

Here is the "How to"
http://www.bkwebstergunsmith.com/making-a-miroku-v-main-spring.html

Best regards

aromakr
.375 member

Re: Charles Daly O/U [Re: granhaven]
      #228829 - 16/04/13 07:40 AM

grandhaven:
Thank you for that, I wish I knew what temp., he drew the spring to after hardening.
Bob

granhaven
.224 member

Reged: 30/12/08
Loc: Denmark
      #228990 - 18/04/13 08:11 PM

I have made a few springs for my Merkel's OU 201, the spring is similar to the Miroku blade spring. The steel is critical as the hardening may differ.

What I did was simply to follow the description and then, after hardening and polishing, I heated the finished spring with with the small gas burner to lightly yellow. You may need to experiment with this but I managed to make a spring within two hours.

I had to buy 5 meters of 5mmx25mm steel, so I will have enugh steel for my lifetime. The price was 11€ for the steel. Since then I also made a broken ejecter for my FN Browning Game Gun from the same steel.

regards,

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3138

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com