Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: AYA #2

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
AYA #2
      #146255 - 20/11/09 01:14 AM

Been looking at a AYA #2 sidelock recently--they appear to be a quality built shotgun. Have never shot one however..

Anyone have experiences with them? Good, bad or otherwise....Your thoughts??

Thank you

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: AYA #2 [Re: Ripp]
      #146257 - 20/11/09 01:37 AM

I have never shot an AYA #2, but I once owned an AYA Model 37 Super sidelock O/U, and it compared favorably with my Beretta SO-4 sidelock O/U.

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #146258 - 20/11/09 01:41 AM

I used to have an AYA 2 some years back and found it to be a good gun .Nice balance and light(26"bbl).Also it is cheaper than the AYA1.However since i was more inclined towards O/U sold it and bought a Beretta 686.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #146259 - 20/11/09 01:48 AM

Ripp, tremendous value for money. AYA started making shotguns for the English trade in 1958 after being supplied with a Holland sidelock (now the No.2 and the No.1) and a Westley boxlock, the No.4 and derivatives, to copy exactly. Both the No.2 and the No.1 are super bits of kit. as a friend at one of the top three gunmakers in London told me, "you buy a No.1, OK, it's not as good as a London best, barrel blacking not quite as good, wood maybe too BUT you are paying £15k (this is for a No.1 deluxe as I type) and you are getting 95% of a London best. INMHO they are the best value for money in the world in the S/S English gun style. Do not buy one with a single trigger but then I wouldn't buy an English gun with one either ! Secondhand No.2's are amazing value especially if you can get one 15 years old or less. I have a 20 bore No.1 if you would like some pics, best, Mike p.s. read Terry Wieland and Mike McIntosh on AYA.

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: AYA #2 [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #146261 - 20/11/09 01:55 AM

True the high end ayas are very good guns, the cheaper perhaps not so good.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Re: AYA #2 [Re: 450_366]
      #146267 - 20/11/09 03:11 AM

450 366, even the N0.4 boxlock AYA is a great work horse for £300 secondhand, they are almost bullet proof, I know more than a few farmers in the Uk who use one and aren't too shabby shooting them !, my mate's father was bought one when he was 20ish, he is a farmer) he is now 60 something and his son who is my mate (we are in our forties) has had it for 15 years, uses it year in, year out. The reputation of all Spanish guns took a hit in the DIARM debacle of the 70's, a lot of junk came out then and in the early 50's some stuff sent to the USA was pretty grotty. best, Mike

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #146300 - 20/11/09 07:14 PM

I've got an AyA 117 SLE with detachable sidelocks, about 30 years old. It is a little stiff to open and may need new tumblers but I like the look of the metalwork so much I'm thinking of replacing the non-descript butt-stock.

Ripp
.577 member

#146448 - 23/11/09 12:19 PM

Quote:

Ripp, tremendous value for money. AYA started making shotguns for the English trade in 1958 after being supplied with a Holland INMHO they are the best value for money in the world in the S/S English gun style. Do not buy one with a single trigger but then I wouldn't buy an English gun with one either ! Secondhand No.2's are amazing value especially if you can get one 15 years old or less. I have a 20 bore No.1 if you would like some pics, best, Mike p.s. read Terry Wieland and Mike McIntosh on AYA.

Sorry for not responding sooner--our chasing mule deer--the rut is on..

The AYA #2 I was looking at were actually in the gun library at Cabela's --they had 4 No 2"s--two in 16 gauge and two in 20 gauge.

Looking at them, I had the same thoughts you mentioned..they seem to be an amazing value for the money..been thinking of a 16--one I really think it is a great upland gauge and two, not that many around..in my neck of the woods and pretty much everywhere else I go--99.9% are 12 or 20--which are great--just want something different..

Would love to see photos of yours fi you don't mind..

Thanks again to all who responded--appreciate your input...

Ripp

--------------------

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

#146478 - 23/11/09 08:13 PM

Here you are Ripp, sorry quality not great, best, Mike

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/mlb6363/AYA/IMG_0008.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/mlb6363/AYA/IMG_0007.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/mlb6363/AYA/IMG_0006.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/mlb6363/AYA/IMG_0005.jpg

Paul
.400 member

#146479 - 23/11/09 08:58 PM

Lovely gun, Mike. Apart from the beautiful stockwork and the sideclips,
it does not look dissimilar to the one I've got.

Where does the Mod 117 fit into the AyA pecking order, anyone, anyone?

- Paul

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: AYA #2 [Re: Paul]
      #146487 - 23/11/09 11:20 PM

Mike, beautiful gun! Thanks for sharing the photos. I dearly love a case-hardened receiver.

The most discerning gunners all over the world, even those from England and Italy, turn to the hand-made guns of the Basque Region of Spain and many of those working in the shops have been trained by the best makers in the world. Stockers, actioners, barrel makers, finishers, etc... have worked in several world renowed gun making houses and have applied their high level of craft accordingly. To say that a Best Gun from the Basque Region is not as good as a Best Gun made elsewhere is simply not true. The same person who worked as a stocker in the House of Arrizabalaga applies the same skills when he applies his craft in the House of Holland & Holland. The particular model he is working on may not have been ordered with the same level of finish as a true best gun, but he is certainly capable of the same level of work. I would have the highest level of confidence in buying a bespoke gun from AyA (No. 1 or #2), Arrizabalga, Arrieta, and Grulla. I really like the Grulla 216 SL.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#146501 - 24/11/09 01:45 AM

Mike,

Beautiful looking gun--only makes me want one even more..

Just read an article by Wieland recently..not sure which magazine it was in..but a really favorable report on them as well..it was on the #2..

Thanks for the info and photos

Ripp

--------------------

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

#146611 - 25/11/09 04:07 AM

Paul, please find following quote from a friend I asked about your 117 who has forgotten more about Spanish guns than all the rest of us will ever know, he is, of course, in the trade, forgive his first sentence, he is ribbing me about the monteria !!

"Buenas tardes, 'oh killer of the stag'.

The AYA Model 117 was the forerunner of the Nº 2. It was a sidelock with
similar quality wood and finish, but it had a third bite in the locking
mechanism (a protrusion from between the extractors which engaged in a lock
in the action face).

It was felt to be a little too 'continental' for the UK market, and so we
tweaked it to create the Nº 2 as it is today. On the second hand market,
they generally fetch about 10% less than an equivalent Nº 2."

so what you have Paul is basically an early No.2, a great gun
best, Mike

p.s. he is NOT an employee of AYA (though v. close associations going back to the late 1950's

Paul
.400 member

#146700 - 26/11/09 01:37 AM

Thanks Mike,
yes, it has the third bite and an almost Prince-of-Wales pistol grip, though that has never occurred to me as particularly Continental. The engraving pattern (I've alway kidded myself) is more Purdey than H&H, which more often borders on the Tueutonic. It was my father's gun - the only reason I have not had it restocked with a straight hand already.

Cheers
- Paul

Edited by Paul (26/11/09 01:38 AM)

armbar
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/05
Loc: So Cal USA
      #148349 - 19/12/09 03:14 PM

Guys,

I am glad I found this thread. I too have just started thinking about an AYA shotgun. They certainly are beautiful.

Looking in the 24th edition of "Blue book of gun values" I see that the no. 2 goes for $3050 for one in 100% condition, and then drops to $1400 for one in 98% condition. This seems odd to me. What's up with that?

I want a functional shotgun for quail. I'm trying to decide between a new gun like the AYA or an older English or American shottie.

Seems to me that the older ones would hold their value better.

Most of the Parkers that I have seen have longer barrels and are of the full choke variety. Don't seem "Quailish" to me.

What do you guys think? Keep in mind the functionality of the gun.

Armbar.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: AYA #2 [Re: armbar]
      #148352 - 19/12/09 06:33 PM

I used to own a 20-bore 117 (detachable seven pin sidelocks, third fastener as described above)

It was a great shooting shotgun - and it handled nicely.
The barrels weren't struck as nicely as a Brit gun, the wood wasn't finished like a Brit gun, but it was a really good sidelock ejector gun that I didn't have to think about screwing up in the field.
Sold it to fund something else...

Armbar - take advantage of that cost/condition metric.
I got my AYA at a good price - and didn't lose money when I sold it.
Before you buy, handle and shoot one if you get the chance.
Make sure whatever you're looking at has the (otherwise indescribable) 'Quailish' quality that you want.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

armbar
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/05
Loc: So Cal USA
Re: AYA #2 [Re: tinker]
      #148495 - 21/12/09 01:56 PM

Thanks Tinker,

I just got back from Quail hunting where I saw lots of birds while deer hunting last month. The few birds I saw were quite educated. They either flew at 100yds or ran at 100yds. This is what I get for going near the end of the season. It made me think, what the heck do I need with another gun!

Good advice though.

Thanks, and Merry Xmas!

Armbar.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: AYA #2 [Re: armbar]
      #148498 - 21/12/09 02:12 PM

Merry Xmas to you too!

The answer to your question (based on the recent quail story...) is that you need a long-range 10-bore Magnum with sights!!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

BigEyeBob
.275 member

Reged: 12/05/16
Loc: Katherine Northern Territory ...
Re: AYA #2 [Re: tinker]
      #306058 - 06/10/17 11:14 PM

I recently bought a modell 117 SLE , Aya ,has done very little work ,basically spent its life in its case .Hand detachable locks and hidden third bite . Beautiful handling gun , wood is plain looking but it wont affect the operation. Very happy with it.

--------------------
I'm not young enough to know every thing .

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: AYA #2 [Re: BigEyeBob]
      #306064 - 07/10/17 02:44 AM

Don't badmouth the humbler, boxlock AYA shotguns. About 30 years ago I found a well – used AYA XXV/BL at a second hand guns rack. A boxlock ejector in 12 – 70/2 ¾". Special order 27" chopper lump barrels with Churchill rib, bored improved/modified. Weight 2.9 kg / 6.4 lbs. The action is still tight as a bank vault.

I had to lengthen and refinish the cut off buttstock again. It's been my favorite shotgun ever since. Perfectly balanced, better than any sidelock (have a Purdey too) or over-under I have ever handled. I simply look at a bird or clay, the gun hits my shoulder and goes bang. Most of the time the bird comes down. (yes, I can miss with any gun). It's simply the perfect using shotgun for me.
IIRC I then paid DMark 360.- , about Euro 180.- or US$ 200.-, for the gun. That's about 5% of the 2009 AYA factory list price of Euro 4460.- incl. VAT.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: AYA #2 [Re: kuduae]
      #306065 - 07/10/17 04:51 AM

RIPP- I had an AYA SXS 10 bore some years before the lead shot ban.

It had extra tightly bored tubes along with 50 points of choke in both full choked barrels and WW factory 3 1/2" developed excessive pressure, to the point it loosened the base wads, with some leaving with the shot charge. This was not good as factory ammo was my old source for hulls.

I modified the cases of factory shells as empty hulls were not available to me, to 3" by simply cutting off the crimps & pulling the components. I used a star crimp starter to form new crimps, which worked very well.

I modified the chokes by cutting off most of the end choke and using a brake cylinder hone, as well as testing loads, counted pellets in and pellets on paper.

Using 2ounces of #2's, #4, and #5's shot, I achieved average of 94% from the right barrel and 96% from the left.

Out to about 80yards, it was murderous on GREATER Canada Geese using #2's as well as #4's or 5's on ducks to about the same range - murderous.

I loaded up #8-1/2's for ground slousing crips, which were not common at all iwth the 10bore, but were with my friend's 12's. The fine shot was deadly on their heads & necks, without shot entering the bodies.

I once killed 27 snipe with one shot, ground slousing the entire flock off a pile of mud sticking up out of the lake at about 50 or 60 yards. 2oz. of # 8 1/2's is quite a lot of shot.

Brother Taylor was with me on that hunt. On another shot, I almost tipped the canoe over with the broadside shot passing poke at a couple mallards about 70yards out - I'm sure that was a miss. "Don't you EVER do that again!" was his only statement. LOL

It had "some" recoil. 54gr. AL8 and 2 ounce of shot, IIRC.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #306071 - 07/10/17 09:29 AM

Quote:

Paul, please find following quote from a friend I asked about your 117 who has forgotten more about Spanish guns than all the rest of us will ever know, he is, of course, in the trade, forgive his first sentence, he is ribbing me about the monteria !!

"Buenas tardes, 'oh killer of the stag'.

The AYA Model 117 was the forerunner of the Nº 2. It was a sidelock with
similar quality wood and finish, but it had a third bite in the locking
mechanism (a protrusion from between the extractors which engaged in a lock
in the action face).

It was felt to be a little too 'continental' for the UK market, and so we
tweaked it to create the Nº 2 as it is today. On the second hand market,
they generally fetch about 10% less than an equivalent Nº 2."

so what you have Paul is basically an early No.2, a great gun
best, Mike

p.s. he is NOT an employee of AYA (though v. close associations going back to the late 1950's

So correct me if I'm wrong here gents, having a third bite would mean that an AYA No2 is able to be converted to a rifle if one wanted to do so?
In regard to the 'third bite' I'm familiar with the 'dolls head' which is on the top of the barrel, how is this arrangement done on the AYA?
Regards

Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: AYA #2 [Re: 93x64mm]
      #306074 - 07/10/17 10:01 AM

Dam Daryl that was an 8ga load you were shooting in your 10ga.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: AYA #2 [Re: Wayne59]
      #306080 - 07/10/17 03:41 PM

Negative, Wayne, that AL8 load was straight out of Lyman's loading handbook, with 2oz. shot and a built-up wad column. Second Edition, page 93.

Sure was effective, #8 1/2's, 4's, 5's or 2's using Bliemeister hard shot from Alberta. Beautiful patterns, a full 5 to 8% better than nickle or copper plated of the same size.

The #3's were also good, but most were oblong. They still patterned well, but the 2's were slightly better, rarely having more than 6 or 8 pellets out of the 30" pattern at 40 yards, with severe concentration in the centre 20".

This AL8 load did not develop even close to the pressure of WW factory ammo.

2oz. of #8 1/2's is roughly 1,000 pellets, btw.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: AYA #2 [Re: kuduae]
      #306081 - 07/10/17 03:54 PM

Damn Kuduae, that is a top looking shotgun. The two best handling factory shotguns I have handled are both SXS, an AYA box lock and SKB.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 21719

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com