Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Are most people using the same rifle for everything?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
edmhunter
.224 member

Reged: 16/03/07
Loc: Ill.
Are most people using the same rifle for everything?
      #94684 - 19/01/08 11:08 AM

Are you using the same gun in Alaska as you would Africa? I love all weather guns for Alaska, Canada and nasty weather areas but it seems to me you should have a beautiful walnut stock Express rifle for Africa. Do most people have a special gun for Africa vs All weather "Black Gun"? Do you use the same calibers for both rifles?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Are most people using the same rifle for everything? [Re: edmhunter]
      #94698 - 19/01/08 01:32 PM

People who are international hunters fall into two categories: them that have but a few hunting rifles , and them that have lots. Fiberglass stocked rifles suck up recoil better than wood or laminates. They also require less maintenance than wood. They are not as pretty. That is their only detraction.

Schamankungulo
.300 member

Reged: 21/04/07
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Are most people using the same rifle for everything? [Re: albertan]
      #94699 - 19/01/08 01:38 PM

I use the same for both , quality , not quantity ..

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
      #94710 - 19/01/08 03:26 PM

I have many guns because its easier to get a gun than take the time off to hunt--and for a working fellow that is a sad state of affairs indeed

I like high velocity big bolts and have several in synthetic stocks.I have a 338-378 Wby thats a blast to shoot as well as a 416 and a 458WM Ruger conversion among others.Took a synthetic stocked bolt last summer to Africa for PG.The gun was lighter and absorbed recoil better--Those guns are ugly but very functional

Love my African bolts in wood and my Double though, something about real wood--

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

MauserRifle
.300 member

Reged: 15/03/05
Loc: U.S.A.
      #94722 - 19/01/08 07:25 PM

I have done most of my hunting with a 7x57 and 9.3x62. I have owned 100's of different rifles and used several different calibers, designs and brands. The rifles that I prefer are pre-war Mausers as I feel they are better built or at least have more hand fitting and the stocks fit my built the best as I need a stock with more drop than most people. I have owned 25 to 30 rifles with synthetic stocks and personally do not like them at all. IMHO they are cold and inpersonal. I have hunted in all type of weather and have never had a problem with a wood stock.

I guess that is why there are so many different styles of rifles, something to please everyone.

--------------------
Mauser Rifle

Everyday is a great day, some days are just better than others!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Are most people using the same rifle for everything? [Re: MauserRifle]
      #94730 - 19/01/08 11:46 PM

Hunting for a week to ten days in pouring rain brings out the niceties of a plastic stock. For more subdued, dryer hunts, I prefer walnut.
: I've yet to find a totaly waterproof finish for wood as they all seem to let in some moisture in worse-case senarios. Spar Varnish comes about as close to waterproof as I've found - a tip from an East-coast duck and goose hunting guide that works. It's a pain to apply with very long curing times, but as close to water proof as wood finishes come. It usually has to be re-done every year to be effective. Cracks will let in moisture.
: None of the oils work as well and the epoxy finishes aren't much better than oil.
: That said, I generally reach for the .375 or .458 wildcats when going hunting. The new 9.3x57 might change that after it arrives - we'll see. Too - I've been caught looking over a steaming pile and I mean 'pile', of fresh grizzly 'sign' when holding nothing more than a Ruger #1 in .218Bee.
: Here's a couple that pushed us off the river when it was their turn to fish.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Re: Are most people using the same rifle for everything? [Re: DarylS]
      #94735 - 20/01/08 01:27 AM

Yowsers!!

If I were up there in Bear country I would be carrying a bit more gun about than down here in the South.Probably a 338 for longer shots or maybe a 375 Ruger or bigger when the chance of bear encounters would be higher.

A fellow can never be overgunned in bear country!!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Schamankungulo
.300 member

Reged: 21/04/07
Re: Are most people using the same rifle for everything? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #94757 - 20/01/08 06:00 AM

Aw come on hoppdoc, my Lott IS my whitetail rifle ..

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Are most people using the same rifle for everything? [Re: Schamankungulo]
      #94774 - 20/01/08 11:56 AM

I have quite a few guns and use different ones for whatever task is at hand--here in the Western US--If I am hunting in the mountains I will typically use a lighter weight gun for hiking a lot --usually in 300 caliber or larger--if in the badlands for deer I will use a lighter gun as well --I really like the custom I had built in .257 Weatherby caliber--IMHO, this is the ultimate caliber for deer and antelope..and have used it on elk and bear as well--with a barnes bullet and good shot placement, no problems..

For varmints or p-dogs I like to use a .220 swift, 204 ruger, 22-250, 6-284 and .243 loaded with 70 gr ballistic tips---for the "toss factor".

In Africa, I used a .416 primarily and for plains game either a 300 or 338 Ultra-mag--in HS Precision rifles...This Spring I plan to take the .416 along with my .470 double which I plan to use on buffalo or possible hippo..

IMHO again, one can never own too many guns...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

260rem
.375 member

Reged: 16/04/06
Loc: NSW Australia
Re: Are most people using the same rifle for everything? [Re: Ripp]
      #94888 - 21/01/08 07:21 PM

I use a S/S 375H&H for all my stalking ATM, I love the feel of wood but I wont buy another Blued/Wood stalking rifle anymore as I find a good synthetic stocked stainless to be able to take more abuse and hold it's zero in any conditions that crop up.

--------------------
One shot is all you need.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Are most people using the same rifle for everything? [Re: 260rem]
      #94915 - 22/01/08 06:45 AM

Here's my son-in-law with some salmon fishing company on the other side of the narrow river. Since we're in a Provincial Park, no firearms are allowed. The cubs are only 1-1/2 years old and would weigh around 300 to 350 pounds. The sow is a biggun.
: The youngster is using a 14' double hander fly rod I built for him.

--------------------
Daryl

jro45
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/03
Loc: DE, USA
      #94983 - 23/01/08 03:24 AM

I used a 300 RUM in Africa but for Alaska I would use a 338 RUM and or a 416 Rem for DG.

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Are most people using the same rifle for everything? [Re: jro45]
      #95000 - 23/01/08 07:50 AM

I have used all kinds of rifles from 222 Rem to 9.3 in New Zealand. The weather here can be extremely variable with wet weather lasting for a couple of days. The thick bush & steep broken terrain is very hard on rifles, stocks, knees, boots etc. One spring we had our volcano spewing ash - the worst kind of corrosion you can think of - on metal, wood, eyes & nostrils!

I use the 222 Tikka LSA 55 steel / wood rifle for rabbits, wallabies & goats. I have used it on fallow deer in open country. I now use my new Kimber Montana 7mm08 for all bush hunting with Barnes 150gr TSX. I love my Sako 280 Ackley but don't enjoy carrying it in thick bush with the 24 inch barrel. That will be my choice for Tahr in May. The Simson 9.3X62 with the new English Walnut stock will be used on Sambar here & for my first African PG hunt.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
      #95245 - 27/01/08 03:30 AM

Amoung my modest battery of hunting guns, I've got two custom rifles, a 375 H&H and a 416 Rem. Mag., that were built on Model 70 actions, and each of them wears a pillar-bedded McMillan fiberglass stock.

I've used the 375 H&H in BC for spring black bear and grizzly and for wet-weather elk hunting here in OR, as well as for all-around safari use in hot, arid Zimbabwe. It's worked perfectly in all those places, and it never changes zero or otherwise mucks-up.

Same with the 416 Rem. I've used it for spring bear in Alaska as well as the Selous game reserve in Tanzania for Cape buffalo, and I'll be hunting with it in Zambia this season. That rifle is as consistent as it could possibly be and never changes zero, plus is feeds perfectly and shoots like a house afire.

In my experience, good synthetic-stocked rifles that are properly bedded work better than wood under all hunting conditions, and they're about 9-times stronger as well. No, the aren't as pretty and no, they're not "traditional", but I found out a long time ago what when it comes to rifles, pretty IS as pretty DOES........

AD

jro45
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/03
Loc: DE, USA
      #95719 - 02/02/08 02:26 AM

Well I don't use my elephant rifle for ground hogs. I use my 22-250. So in that scents I own more then one rifle.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Are most people using the same rifle for everything? [Re: jro45]
      #95731 - 02/02/08 03:09 AM

I switched form the .22 centrefires to the smaller cased .17 centrefires and rimfires for gophers. I see 100% of the hits at 20X to 20X now, no matter what the range.
; For big game from deer through bears to moose and elk, it'll probably be the 9.3x57 I just received in the mail - I do like that rifle.

--------------------
Daryl

chuck375
.333 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: Colorado Springs CO
Re: Are most people using the same rifle for everything? [Re: DarylS]
      #95844 - 03/02/08 01:53 PM

My .270 WCF has always been enough for everything in the lower 48 (deer, elk, black bear). This year I passed it on to my youngest son. So I replaced it with a CZ 550 in 375 H&H. It will be my deer, elk and bear rifle, and hopefully my African DGR as soon as I'm done paying for my two son's college educations ...

Chuck

--------------------
"There's a saying in prize fighting: Everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3466

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com