Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: CZ 550 Safari Magnum

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
pajeff
.224 member

Reged: 11/02/05
CZ 550 Safari Magnum
      #91887 - 18/12/07 08:48 AM

I am considering a CZ 550 Safari magnum (458 Win.). Can anyone give me any feedback on their experience with this rifle?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DGR375
.300 member

Reged: 04/10/07
Loc: Gold Coast, QLD
Re: CZ 550 Safari Magnum [Re: pajeff]
      #91895 - 18/12/07 11:04 AM

I'm very happy with my CZ 550 Safari Magnum in 375 H&H. It feeds reliably, shoots straight, open sights align perfectly with my eyes (I have hogsback style stock).

Since purchasing it, a Leupold 2-7 scope with Warne QD rings has been added. Both work brilliantly, with excellent return to zero.

The rifle showed no signs of needing further modifications, but using advice from various forums I had a gunsmith glass bed the action and fit a second crossbolt to the stock. Looks good.

Overall, I can heartily recommend this model rifle to anyone: value for money, a good working rifle.

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: CZ 550 Safari Magnum [Re: DGR375]
      #91900 - 18/12/07 12:08 PM

I purchased a rifle just like you describe and found it to work well but it did have a few troubles. The stock split after several hundred rounds (nothing serious). The Warne QD rings require that the scope is not centred and as a result, the reticle broke. As mine was one of the very first 550 American Safari models the length of pull was around 14.5 inches.

I had the action bedded and the forearm block as well. I added 2 cross bolts and had all the bolts set with red locktite. The blue stuff gives up very quickly. I no longer use Warne QD's. They are strong but on a heavy kicker unless the scope is centred, there will be trouble. The scope in question was a Leupold 2.5 lightweight. A slight shortening of the length of pull to 14 inches and the installation of a Limbsaver recoil pad finished the job.

The gun feeds like a garbage disposal unit, shoots very accurately, and is light enough to carry all day. With open sights I can put 3 shots into a 3 inch group at 100 yards off the bench.

chuck375
.333 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: Colorado Springs CO
Re: CZ 550 Safari Magnum [Re: albertan]
      #91934 - 18/12/07 03:41 PM

What QD rings do you recommend? My CZ 550 375 H&H is due in two weeks. I had CZ glass bed it, and install dual crossbolts as well as do an action job. I'm planning to put a Leupold 1.5-5x 20mm scope on it.

Thanks,
Chuck

--------------------
"There's a saying in prize fighting: Everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

albertan
.333 member

Re: CZ 550 Safari Magnum [Re: chuck375]
      #92056 - 19/12/07 06:15 PM

On a heavy kicking rifle I would avoid a variable power scope. There is not one of them that is as tough as a fixed power, or offers the long and constant eye relief. You are not varmit shooting. Moreover, being scoped with a .458 magnum would be a religous experience.

Don't get hung up on QD rings. If you carry a Leatherman (et al) you can remove almost any scope ring made in a hurry. The scope must be centered. I have used the Warne's twice and both times I had to crank in on the elevation adjustment until I was literally out of adjustment. No wonder there was problems with a 2.5 Leupold.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #92067 - 19/12/07 07:32 PM

Once again we see where a factory rifle and factory scope mounts have FAILED.

If you buy a Blaser R 93 you will not have these probelms.

ANY problems.

Plains99
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Dodge City, Kansas, USA
Re: CZ 550 Safari Magnum [Re: NE450No2]
      #92129 - 20/12/07 08:55 AM

I have one. The magazine is sized for longer cartridges so it is criticized that the .458 Win Mag version will allow cartridges to shift forward under heavy recoil. That does happen but I haven't had a serious problem with it as of yet. You need to glass bed the stock. I use open sights only and the gun shoots low when drawing a fine bead. I have never been able to get any rings to hold on this rifle. It feeds nicely. The rifle is heavy and awkward but it handles heavy recoil very well. It is a nice poor boy's big and dangerous game rifle. I've tried customized Mausers, Ruger 77's and No. 1's. So far the No 1 was the most dependable but it is a single shot. But all in all the CZ is the best compromise of price and performance in a magazine .458. Unless you hunt a lot with a rifle of this size, I think it is perfectly adequate for the normal big game hunter who probably shoots it less than fifty times a year.

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: CZ 550 Safari Magnum [Re: Plains99]
      #92130 - 20/12/07 09:00 AM

Quote:

... I have never been able to get any rings to hold on this rifle (CZ 550 Safari Magnum). ... So far the No 1 was the most dependable but it is a single shot.

I like my Ruger #1 458 Win Mag, but I can't make a scope stay on it either.

Schamankungulo
.300 member

Reged: 21/04/07
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: CZ 550 Safari Magnum [Re: Tatume]
      #92434 - 23/12/07 12:39 AM

My CZ is a Lott , I bought it from a friend who changed the stock out to the European version , with NECG irons , bedded with three pins .. This is my second CZ Lott and I love it ..

No problems with it or the previous one , 'cept this one weighs only 8.7# ..

jro45
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/03
Loc: DE, USA
Re: CZ 550 Safari Magnum [Re: Schamankungulo]
      #94185 - 13/01/08 11:54 PM

With my CZ 550 American Safari 458 Lott I plan going Elephant hunting next year. That rifle will put 3 shots tuching each other at 100 yds. 500 gr bullets.

jro45
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/03
Loc: DE, USA
Re: CZ 550 Safari Magnum [Re: jro45]
      #94187 - 14/01/08 12:00 AM

Quote:

With my CZ 550 American Safari 458 Lott I plan going Elephant hunting next year. That rifle will put 3 shots tuching each other at 100 yds. 500 gr bullets.The 500 gr solid goes 2320 Fps and the
Soft point goes 2280 Fps

pajeff
.224 member

Re: CZ 550 Safari Magnum [Re: jro45]
      #94296 - 15/01/08 10:46 AM

Since I posted my question last month, I bought the CZ .458, and scoped it with a Leupold 1X4. A three shot group of Swift 450gr. partitions at 2300fps are all touching at 100 yds. A great eifle for the money. The only thing- I would change the bolt shape before taking it on a DG hunt.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #94298 - 15/01/08 11:46 AM

Good to hear of your success--I visited with my gunsmith today and he had good things to say basically about your gun however he did suggest adding a second crossbolt as others have suggested as well..

Congratulations on your purchase..

Art

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

albertan
.333 member

Re: CZ 550 Safari Magnum [Re: Ripp]
      #94312 - 15/01/08 02:13 PM

The funny thing about this post is that is about CZ rifles. They may be critisized for many things
but they shoot. To be perfectly frank, other than some VERY high end Mausers, I would not choose a Blazer (or a Heym) in a caliber greater than 22-250. I have seen so many German rifles have broken pistol grip handles that I consider it unusual if they don't break. Calibers as small as .270 and 30-06 with factory loads break these damn things. In short order. They use grips that are too thin with too much of an angle to withstand recoil.

I don't like or trust the damned things.

Ripp
.577 member

#94338 - 16/01/08 12:25 AM

As to CZ rifles--I agree they really do shoot--a bit on the crude side but that can be taken care of by a gunsmith... I have 2--both in smaller calibers, but both shoot extremely well with factory ammo-- this past summer I probably shot over 500 prairie dogs with my .204 caliber CZ varmint model with its set trigger--if feeds horribly however, if a p-dog is dumb enough to give up a shot at 250 yards or less--there is a pretty good chance he will not survive the day with that rifle..

Have another in a rimfire that also shoots like a house of fire--however I and several of my friends have had problems with the ejectors within a short time of purchasing them--had to take them in and get fixed--this has happened on 3 guns I know of...

I firmly believe that in MOST cases you get what you pay for in both optics and firearms.. the CZ gives a o.k. product at a lower end cost which makes them quite popular in most circles...

Ripp

--------------------

pajeff
.224 member

#94343 - 16/01/08 02:15 AM

I talked to my gunsmiths about the crossbolt and they said it wasn't really necesaary if the action is properly glass bedded. I pulled the action out of the stock and the action recoil lug was poorly bedded with a squirt of compound. I hogged out the wood around this area, filled it with Micro-Bed and set the barreled action back in the stock. Now, here I believe is the important step. I now stood the rifle in a vertival position and tapped rhe muzzle a few times with a rubber mallet. This assures the barrel recoil lug is firmly seated against its steel block in the forearm while the glass cures around the action lug. Now they are both equally absorbing the recoil. I did this befire I ever shot it. It turned out well as indicated by the groups and I'm positive this stock won't split.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #94352 - 16/01/08 04:59 AM

Quote:

I would not choose a Blazer (or a Heym) in a caliber greater than 22-250.

Not even a Heym Express?
I 'd have one of those in a heartbeat

JabaliHunter
.400 member

#94353 - 16/01/08 05:09 AM

Quote:

I talked to my gunsmiths about the crossbolt and they said it wasn't really necesaary if the action is properly glass bedded.

Yes its true, but glass bedding is still a cheap "quick fix" substitute compared to a suitable walnut blank (i.e. one specifically selected so that the grain lies in the correct direction, etc) that is properly shaped and inletted by a master craftsmen. How many classic British rifle stocks do you know of that have split because they were not glass bedded?

Each approach has its place (and price) but if I was going down glass bedding route, I'd go the whole hog and have a good laminate stock.

JMHO

chuck375
.333 member

Re: CZ 550 Safari Magnum [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #94383 - 16/01/08 11:25 AM

I ordered my CZ 550 Safari Magnum in 375 H&H with dual crossbolts, glass bedding, recoil reducer, action job, Hi Vis front sight and Pachmeyer Decelerator Pad. It should be here by Feb. I went overkill no doubt, but the sum total of the add ons was less than $500 so a Safari capable rifle on a magnum length Mauser variant action for under $1300 is still a very good deal. It's definitely not an Empire lol. Actually it arrived just before Christmas and I sent it back to the CZ Custom Shop because I wasn't happy with the action job (it was still sticky) and I decided to have them add a barrel band, but the balance with the recoil reducer was perfect. I think they use the same contour barrel for everything under 50 cal so the 375s tend to be a bit muzzle heavy, the recoil reducer solved that. I probably will have the bolt handle filled and straightened and have a 3 position safety added once I get to shoot it for a bit.

Regards,
Chuck

--------------------

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Re: CZ 550 Safari Magnum [Re: chuck375]
      #94410 - 16/01/08 05:41 PM

Hi Chuck - I don't think you went overboard, although I haven't any experience of recoil reducers.
With the glass bedding and double crossbolts, you have done all you can to protect the stock from splitting, which tends to happen at the tang. And now that the action is not sticky, you should have a great rifle! Just check it feeds every round from the magazine quickly, but this should be fine with the 375.
Enjoy shooting it!

Schamankungulo
.300 member

Reged: 21/04/07
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: CZ 550 Safari Magnum [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #94487 - 17/01/08 11:11 AM

This was the solution to the bolt on my CZ Lott ..
Change it out ..

Ripp
.577 member

Re: CZ 550 Safari Magnum [Re: Schamankungulo]
      #94547 - 18/01/08 12:42 AM

Stopped by my gunsmiths yesterday who was working on a new CZ 550 with which he replaced the barrel with a Shilen, chambered it for .450 Rigby, installed a recoiler reducer, added express sights, an additional crossbolt, barrel band, and various other little extra's--it really looked good and felt pretty good as well--if weather premits I am going out to shoot it on Saturday--looking forward to it--all in all he said with the new gun and all the work there was about $1800 into it..

Ripp

--------------------

chuck375
.333 member

#94558 - 18/01/08 02:38 AM

Thanks JabaliHunter! Looking forward to shooting and hunting with it. It's going to make a heck of a mule deer and elk rifle until I finish paying for the kid's college and can make it to Africa.

Chuck

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7918
Calendar Event: 18/12/07

Rate this topic

Jump to