Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Kimber Caprivi

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Kimber Caprivi [Re: 475Guy]
      #87533 - 22/10/07 01:00 AM

Pessimism? Naw. Just keep my eyes open.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike_McGuire
.333 member

Reged: 11/06/05
Loc: Sydney Australia
Re: Kimber Caprivi [Re: CptCurl]
      #87534 - 22/10/07 01:25 AM

Curl

I think in general that if the product is a piece of dog shit....then it won't get a write up.

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Kimber Caprivi [Re: Mike_McGuire]
      #87546 - 22/10/07 04:17 AM

im with curl on this one, todays gun writers will put a positive spin on anything that the editors throw on there table. so if the gun dont fire then is really child safe, if the goretex leak it breathes real well. etc
i go on the recomandations of fellow hunters and sites like this where you get the good and bad on the product, without money is being dealt out from the producers.

peter

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Kimber Caprivi [Re: peter]
      #87572 - 22/10/07 10:09 AM

Guns and Ammo never reviewed a gun they didn't like. CC is spot on here.

The latest issue of American Rifleman that I received two days ago has a detailed article that suggests that the next calibre to be offered would be the 458 Lott. It does look like Kimber are keen on expanding the line. We should have a Super America version as well sometime in the future, I think.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Kimber Caprivi [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #87579 - 22/10/07 10:58 AM

I believe Finn Aagaard reviewed an early Kimber .416 about 15 years ago {or more...?}. IIRC he did note that the front sight blew off the rifle early on in the testing as the sight screw holes had been drilled clean through to the bore. He was not pleased.

The thing that was funny about that to me was that it parallelled an experience I had when selling guns. A fellow came in with the same problem. He had his Browning BAR rebored/rechambered to 9.3x62 and no one stopped to think that the front sight holes might just have been fine in the .30-06 but a wee bit deep for .366...

Regardless, it should be noted that all modern US newsstand gun rags are sales slicks for the manufacturers. I find no problem with this unless they purport to be non-interested third party observers which of course they aren't.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (22/10/07 11:01 AM)

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
Re: Kimber Caprivi [Re: 9.3x57]
      #87608 - 22/10/07 10:56 PM

I don't think that any of the Kimber rifles, including the Caprivi, are equipped with a true machined, spring-steel extractor - rather some sort of MIM unit which is not of spring-steel construction. For 100% true Mauser-type dependability, this is not a sensible compromise....

Also, Kimber needs to design these rifles with some sort of latch that will keep the bolt-sleeve/striker assembly locked into position. As it stands, this assembly is held in place by a ball-bearing detent, which means that it can become inadvertently knocked out of alignment, causing jams, etc.

Dakota designed its original Model 76 with this same sort of ball-bearing detent system. Years later, realizing the error of its ways, Dakota wisely added a proper bolt-sleeve latch that holds everything in place very well. Kimber needs to make the same modifications.

Proper "dangerous game" rifles need to be built from the inside out, pure and simple. Cosmetics, imagery, and extraneous features are the not the foundation upon which to build a rifle that you can trust your hunting investment - not to mention your life, heath, and general well-being.

I do not think that Kimber can say that it has built the Caprivi properly until it has revised the design features that I mentioned.

Fundamentally, the Kimber action is built around production shortcuts, no matter what else is added to it.

I'm still going to stick with Mauser 98s and Model 70s.........

AD

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Kimber Caprivi [Re: allenday]
      #87610 - 23/10/07 12:22 AM

Quote:

I don't think that any of the Kimber rifles, including the Caprivi, are equipped with a true machined, spring-steel extractor - rather some sort of MIM unit which is not of spring-steel construction. For 100% true Mauser-type dependability, this is not a sensible compromise....

Also, Kimber needs to design these rifles with some sort of latch that will keep the bolt-sleeve/striker assembly locked into position. As it stands, this assembly is held in place by a ball-bearing detent, which means that it can become inadvertently knocked out of alignment, causing jams, etc.

Dakota designed its original Model 76 with this same sort of ball-bearing detent system. Years later, realizing the error of its ways, Dakota wisely added a proper bolt-sleeve latch that holds everything in place very well. Kimber needs to make the same modifications.

Proper "dangerous game" rifles need to be built from the inside out, pure and simple. Cosmetics, imagery, and extraneous features are the not the foundation upon which to build a rifle that you can trust your hunting investment - not to mention your life, heath, and general well-being.

I do not think that Kimber can say that it has built the Caprivi properly until it has revised the design features that I mentioned.

Fundamentally, the Kimber action is built around production shortcuts, no matter what else is added to it.

I'm still going to stick with Mauser 98s and Model 70s.........

AD

The bolt sleeve issue is an interesting one from a historical standpoint as anyone who owns and enjoys 96-action Mausers can attest. They have of course, no retention device of any kind and the bolt sleeve can be spun when the bolt is drawn back. Herr Mauser took care of that issue later.

This new Kimber does indeed look to me like just as you say, a rifle built around maximum production shortcuts. This is not to say that it is functionally poor or anything of the sort, as the design has yet to be proven in use and it may turn out to be very good indeed. However, it appears to me that cheapness of manufacture was obviously high on the list of to-do's when the fellows sat down to design it. It appears finished very well, but there is part of me that wonders if that feature is make-up on a homely girl...

Above the wood line the barreled action is obviously laid out to look like a Mauser. Below the wood line it is anything but, with its tubular receiver and fabricated recoil lug. I find virtually all gun designs fascinating in-general, for all the economic and functional reasons and this one is interesting simply because it is "new".

The gun does not particularly appeal to me and I will never buy one. There's something about it that whispers "Wanna Be" and I guess time will tell, but if I hd to roll the dice and guess if it will still be in production in ten years I'd put my money on "No". I seriously question whether any bolt gun that costs as much as it does {and will as it gets more expensive...} will appeal to many fellows who can afford it {wouldn't they rather spend a bit more or less and get a "real" Mauser?} and certainly it will NOT appeal to many due to sheer cost.

Expensive bolt guns always seem to run into the brick wall of the simple fact that they do absolutely nothing functionally that relatively cheap guns don't do.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
Re: Kimber Caprivi [Re: 9.3x57]
      #87612 - 23/10/07 12:41 AM

High-end bolt-guns, if they are better-designed and are built from better materials, and especially if they are really and truly built to function better (rather than just look pretty), are certainly worth the money, and will certainly do more things better than the low-end stuff does. Rifles are like anything else in that you generally get what you pay for, pure and simple. That's why the top makers of user-type custom rifles are typically backlogged with more work than they can handle: Their clients are typically very experienced hunters and riflemen, and they can't be bamboozled by cosmetics and low price. Quite simply, they want pure, unadulterated preformance and are willing to pay for it.

Afican hunts are expensive anyway (if you can afford the safari, you can afford a top rifle) and can be risky, plus a good rifle can last for many safaris, so the best plan is to come up with the best ordinace you can possibly put together. I don't believe is reverse-economy, and I know of at least two people who have had serious problems on dangerous game hunts (one hospitalized for 6 months!) because they were too improvident to so much as get the stock factory rifles they were hunting with properly tuned by a good riflesmith.

Certain things transend expedience and go beyond price..........

AD

mlg
.275 member

Reged: 19/03/05
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Kimber Caprivi [Re: allenday]
      #87896 - 27/10/07 08:36 PM

It would be interesting to compare the Caprivi to a Ruger Hawkeye African in 375Ruger. I think I would rather have the latter, spend a few bucks getting it sorted out by a good Gunsmith and hey presto - you have a lightweight rig thats just as capable as the Kimber, if not more so, for considerably less!

I personally, do not want a 9lb 375. If I am going to carry that sort of weight, I want a bigger caliber.

Edited by mlg (27/10/07 08:41 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Kimber Caprivi--416-- [Re: mlg]
      #93984 - 10/01/08 12:02 PM

FYI-
Just read that Kimber was coming out with a .458 Win in the Caprivi..for 2008.

No tests as of yet--however I have read tests on the .375 model from at least 4 different writers--all seem to think this is a very accurate and reliable gun..plan to check them out at SCI--

thx
Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (10/01/08 11:02 PM)

Bill_Cooley
.300 member

Reged: 14/12/06
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Re: Kimber Caprivi--416-- [Re: Ripp]
      #94226 - 14/01/08 02:01 PM

I just handled a .458 Lott at the Dallas SCI show yesterday. Looks just like the .375 just a tad heavier but I couldn’t get a chance to weigh it. One of the guys in the booth mentioned that they may bring out a .416 latter but wouldn’t say if it was the Rem or Rigby.
Bill

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Kimber Caprivi--416-- [Re: Bill_Cooley]
      #94255 - 15/01/08 12:46 AM

Quote:

I just handled a .458 Lott at the Dallas SCI show yesterday. Looks just like the .375 just a tad heavier but I couldn’t get a chance to weigh it. One of the guys in the booth mentioned that they may bring out a .416 latter but wouldn’t say if it was the Rem or Rigby.
Bill

I am surprised it is a 458 Lott and not a 458 Win as the article I read stated the 458 Win was the new caliber released for 2008.

As to whether to buy the new Ruger or this one..IMHO, I would take the Kimber any day of the week over the Ruger... those that mentioned on earlier posts stating the production costs were kept down on the Kimber need to really look at the work on the new Ruger--talk about something slapped together... and yes I realize it is less than half the cost of the Kimber--IF the Ruger is what $900 will get you --I'll spend the $3000.. actually more like $2600 at the local Sportsman's Warehouse...As also mentioned.. if you can afford to go to Africa on a hunt or two--the extra might be well worth it versus a stay in the local hospital or worse.

While I agree all the magazines have something to sell so you will never see too bad of a write up--to date I have not read much if anything on the negative side regarding this gun. Also have visited with a couple who have purchased the new Kimber and are very happy with them..

Personally I am waiting for the new Winchesters to hit the floor but I hear the largest caliber currently being planned is .338 Win...hopefully the bigger calibers will show up again as well..

Ripp

--------------------

Bill_Cooley
.300 member

#94503 - 17/01/08 02:47 PM

Ripp,
I was surprised to but it was stamped .458 Lott on the barrel. I asked about that and the guy told me they didn’t have one till a couple of weeks ago.
Bill

Ripp
.577 member

#94548 - 18/01/08 12:43 AM

I found another article since my last post that stated they were coming out with a Lott and not in Win. caliber--so guess that is it--heading to SCI on the 23rd--will check it out there..

Ripp

--------------------

Bill_Cooley
.300 member

#94947 - 22/01/08 02:43 PM

Have fun at SCI.
Bill

Ripp
.577 member

#95678 - 01/02/08 01:39 PM

Took a peak at the 458 Lott while at the show--looks to be a nice gun for the money.. the rep at the booth indicated the 416 was going to probably be the next chambering in this rifle. Talked to another guy there who said he had purchased the 375 model and seemed to really like it--said it shot very very well..showed me a video clip of his buffalo hunt he used it on as well.

Ripp

--------------------

tkv000
.300 member

Reged: 02/01/08
Loc: Canada
      #99191 - 14/03/08 05:54 AM

A dealer in my area just got one in 375 H&H

8400 LA Caprivi 375H&H $3196

Canadian price of course. I'll be keeping my Brno

--------------------
"…and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him,"

chuck375
.333 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: Colorado Springs CO
Re: Kimber Caprivi--416-- [Re: tkv000]
      #99213 - 14/03/08 12:05 PM

There have been some reports of quality control issues on some early rifles. Hopefully they have been addressed and the rifles are of the quality of their excellent 1911 pistols.

Chuck

--------------------
"There's a saying in prize fighting: Everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Re: Kimber Caprivi--416-- [Re: chuck375]
      #99216 - 14/03/08 02:59 PM

With all of the NIB Model 70's (375/416/458's) out there fore $1500-2200 why would one spend $2600-3000 for a Kimber?

--------------------
Hike the Grand Canyon, you will never be the same!

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Kimber Caprivi--416-- [Re: AzGuy]
      #99224 - 14/03/08 10:45 PM

Have you looked closely at the workmanship of the Winchester rifles??---pos comes to mind--their quality sucked in the later years especially--while I agree their actions are good--you will need to spend some extra cash to get it where you want it..IMHO...

conversly, those I know that have bought the new Kimbers are very satisfied--I know, the purists will have opinions that they are not perfect--my response is neither are the $6000 customs...

Ripp

--------------------

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
      #105567 - 19/05/08 12:13 PM

I handled a Caprivi .458 lott at the NRA Exhibition in Louisville this weekend. I think it feels great and balances very well. It had very nice wood too. I would love to shoot one. I only saw two double rifles there though. I did wave them around some too. Very nice! The best buy I have seen on the Caprivi is at Whittaker Guns in West Louisville KY, not really louisville but a small town in West Ky near Owensboro. Great Store!!

--------------------
One day at a time...

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Kimber Caprivi--416-- [Re: bigmaxx]
      #105574 - 19/05/08 01:32 PM

Whittaker Guns has the Caprivi for $2589.99 plus shipping and transfer unless you pick it up in person. Good buy i think. He has a website if you want to check it out. http://www.whittakerguns.com/

--------------------
One day at a time...

Bill_Cooley
.300 member

Re: Kimber Caprivi [Re: JohnTheGreek]
      #106102 - 26/05/08 12:38 PM

Quote:

Wonder if Kimber would do a custom version in 416 Rem.....or if this might be forthcoming as a factory offering? How about a 416 Rigby on a highly modified 375 length action? It was done by the Brits forever ago....why not now? A bit more drop in the stock, a banded masterpiece front sight....OH, THE POSSIBILITIES!!!!

John

I handled the .458 LOTT at the Dallas Safari Club show in Jan. I asked when they had started making the Lott and the rep said “about 3 days ago” I couldn’t get a commitment on whether the next would be .416 Rigby or Rem. There was mentioned the possibility of .404 to so we shall see. I have one of the older Kimber BGR. Rifles in .375 I may need a DGR in 404 or 416 (if it is a Rigby).
Bill

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17552

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com