Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 720 Grain .458 Win Mag Loads

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
KDMCustom
.224 member

Reged: 01/04/07
Loc: Arizona, USA
720 Grain .458 Win Mag Loads
      #83211 - 29/07/07 03:17 AM

Here are the preliminary test results from the first loading of my 720 grain FNGC 458 cast bullet in the .458 Winchester Magnum. One of the forum members volunteered to do the testing. This is not recommended load data. It is only test results from one rifle. These loads may not be safe in other firearms.

Here is his report.

"Today I fired three each of the three loads I wanted to try. Below, I report the raw data, the averages, and the extrapolated muzzle velocities. Speeds were recorded at 15 feet. The MV estimates were done with the Sierra Bullets “Infinity” ballistics program using the Hornady 500 gr RN bullet as a surrogate. The recorded speeds are remarkably consistent.

IMR-3031 51.0 gr
Shot 1 1676
Shot 2 1657
Shot 3 1661
Avg 1665
MV 1680

H4198
Shot 1 1754 51.0 gr
Shot 2 1741
Shot 3 1759
Avg 1751
MV 1765

IMR-4895 51.0 gr
Shot 1 1566
Shot 2 1558
Shot 3 1572
Avg 1565
MV 1580

I have attached a photograph of the heads of the fired cases. They are orientated in rows, top to bottom. As you can see, the primers in the top row (3031) are somewhat flattened, the middle row (4198) are flattened and slightly cratered, and the bottom row (4895) are nicely rounded. Based on this very limited test, I consider 1650 fps MV to be maximum for this bullet in my gun. On my next trial I will decrease the charge of IMR-3031 to 50.0 gr, reduce the charge of H4198 to 48.0 gr, and increase the charge of IMR-4895 to 52.0 gr. I will continue to use Federal Magnum Large Rifle primers. I’ll make a similar report then. It may be a week or two, but I’ll get to it as soon as possible."

--------------------
KDM Custom
Big Bore Reloading Service
Your Brass + My Labor

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KDMCustom
.224 member

Re: 720 Grain .458 Win Mag Loads [Re: KDMCustom]
      #83369 - 01/08/07 09:55 AM

Here are the preliminary accuracy results from a few test loads. 1.33" at 50 yards. Not bad for test loads!

--------------------
KDM Custom
Your Brass + My Labor

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
      #83377 - 01/08/07 12:04 PM

Tell us about the test rifle and it's sights or scope.

That group is good, but not outstanding. Now maybe the shooter is not capable of holding a 1 hole group with this rifle and load because of recoil, or maybe because of open sights, but it could also be because the twist in the barrel is not fast enough for such a long bullet.
I would be very interested in some follow up on this.
If the rounds would hold.....say.....5" at 200 yds I might want to buy some, but as of now we don't know what the "weak link in the chain" is.
Shooter?
Sights?
Barrel twist"
the bullet itself?
The lube?
there could be several others
Give us some details.

thanks
Steve

Edited by szihn (01/08/07 12:11 PM)

smicha6551
.275 member

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: NYC & Kuwait
Re: 720 Grain .458 Win Mag Loads [Re: szihn]
      #83384 - 01/08/07 05:17 PM

I can't tell with the smilie if that's a joke or not - 1.334" at 50 yards is like 5.32" at 200 yards. For this sort of rifle and it's intended use I'd say that's just fine. Do you really consider this a 200 yard cartridge?

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: 720 Grain .458 Win Mag Loads [Re: smicha6551]
      #83389 - 01/08/07 08:46 PM

Dear Steve,
The group was fired with a Ruger 1H with the factory open sights. The POI was so high that it was necessary to hold on the bottom of the target frame, with the front sight about 10 inches below the bull. When the sights have been adjusted, better groups may result. A scope could help too. And yes, recoil is a factor.
Take care, Tom

Tatume
.400 member

Re: 720 Grain .458 Win Mag Loads [Re: Tatume]
      #83390 - 01/08/07 09:19 PM

> If the rounds would hold.....say.....5" at 200 yds I might want to buy some, ...

P.s. 1.33 x 4 = 5.32, or about 5" at 200 yds.

Take care, Tom

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #83397 - 02/08/07 12:32 AM

I agree with Steve.
: A realistic possibliity for a load that shoots only 1.32" at 50 yards might be closer to 10" to 12" at 200. As Steve said, 1.32" at 50 yards is not a good group for such a close range.
: Merely doubling and doubling the initial group size just doesn't work in the real world. It is a mathematical equation, not a reliable indicator of a load's possibilties, as longer ranges allow bullet stability and suseptability to the elements to enter the equation.
: As KDM noted, the open grouping may due to open sighs that are close together and having no definite aiming point.
: Proper targets are necessary for shooting groups and perhaps they will rectify that in the near future.
: As an expample, my .458 shoots sub 3/4" at 100 meters with jacketed and 1" and just under 1" with 505gr. cast bullets. It has a 2X Leupold on it. At 200yards, I get 3" to 3.5" groups, much larger than double the 100 yard grouping. Doubling a short range group just doesn't pan out.
: As far as the rifling is concerned, most .458's have 14 to 16" twists and will handle bullets to 700gr.fairly easily. I suspect the grouping is due to the test method as indicated by the shooter.
: 1.32" is only .2" tighter than my 1911 Colt, Wilson barrel provided with 260gr. Speers. Does that mean it will hold 6" at 200 yards?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: 720 Grain .458 Win Mag Loads [Re: DarylS]
      #83411 - 02/08/07 03:42 AM

I appear to be missing the point of this I think.

As I read this the poster is a custom bullet maker who is effectivly advertising on the forum and testing his product by giving it to members of the forum to load using data extrapolated from a bullet 40 % lighter.

No pressure data, no test barrel, just primer cratering as an indication of pressure? No COL?
In fact there is no pressure data on his web site just the usual warning about using the data in any other rifle Etc.

I stand to be corrected, but that bullet appears to be too long to function in a standard length action without significantly impinging on powder space (which is marginal in 458WM anyway).

And to what purpose. There are many FMJ solids that will out perform that bullet at reasonable cost and proven not to bend or deflect in the most extreme of circumstances.
The accuracy is piss poor, a factory CZ with factory ammo, will put them in one hole at 50 yards and not beat the snot out of you. Recoil or rifiling twist...Hum. So one has either to build a custom rifle to fire this over bulleted cartridge, or it is so poorly balanced in terms of power V recoil that the average man cannot hold a group with it. All of the above to produce 10% less power than a .458 Lott in a standard length action.

A good quality soft point is better for N American game and for Africa a premium solid would be a much safer bet for DG in extremis.

This late obsession for proving that a solid lead slug will penetrate X inches of wet whatever is incomprehensible. On the site is a comparison photo between a lead solid and what appears to be a fully expanded Barnes X or failsafe. What is that suposed to prove other. than the Barnes or whatever has performed beautifully. It is apples and oranges.

Solid lead bullets are an anachronism form just after the turn of the century in modern cartridges. As soon as professional hunters could get better bullets they did.

If anybody else wants to risk their rifles or themselves testing projectiles, I have turned some .458 plastic sabots into which I have inserted solid tungsten carbide penetrators. Recon with 60 grains of Bullseye we can fire them through the side of an armoured car...any takers?

KDMCustom
.224 member

Re: 720 Grain .458 Win Mag Loads [Re: Bramble]
      #83416 - 02/08/07 04:22 AM

Bramble,

Wow...I didn't mean to stir up any grief. I enjoy designing cast bullets and heavy ones at that. Some forum members also enjoy new bullet designs and testing them in their rifles. I enjoy reading the forums and contributing to them. I'm not sure why some are so negative?????

--------------------
KDM Custom
Your Brass + My Labor

DarylS
.700 member

#83421 - 02/08/07 06:56 AM

I've not shot anything in my .458's over 600gr., but feel myself weakening towards something in this 700gr. range.
: KDM - it is truely a wonderful thing, to cast your own and do the testing. I'm certianly with you on that score.
: While a 500gr. solid might penetrate as deeply as that 720gr.FN lead bullet, the solid is not be legal for use on big game in this Province, while the 720gr. would be just fine. I'll lay odds that long cast bullet wouldn't lose very much speed during it's brief time inside a grizzly, whether shot from the side or lengthwise. 1,700fps develops 4,619fpe, the criterea many use to denote killing power. It's a bit of a drop from 5,100fpe, although a mere 100fps more to 1,800fps raises the bar to 5,181fpe, which is higher than 2150 with a 500gr. bullet, soft or solid. Most guys will aknowledge that 100fps is virtually a non-entity as far as increased killing power is concerned, too, many loads varry that much, shot to shot. Anyone with a chronograph and who's 'graphed' in strings of 20 shots knows that.

--------------------
Daryl

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
      #83425 - 02/08/07 07:37 AM

I mean no negativity at all KDM.
As I said, I am interested.
I was only asking seroius questions.
Steve

KDMCustom
.224 member

Re: 720 Grain .458 Win Mag Loads [Re: szihn]
      #83426 - 02/08/07 07:58 AM

Quote:

I mean no negativity at all KDM.
As I said, I am interested.
I was only asking seroius questions.
Steve

Yes, I know.

These are the results of initial load development only. More testing is underway. I will have Grizzly Cartridge Co. do some actual pressure barrel testing shortly.

--------------------
KDM Custom
Your Brass + My Labor

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #83427 - 02/08/07 08:53 AM

Why am I being negative.?

Because with no COL or other emperical data then IMHO publishing loading data for a projectile so out of the normal weight range is irisponsible.
As I said I know you have the normal warning, but this again IMHO, is not enough for a projectile that if loaded to normal COL will serverly impinge on powder space and lead the unweary/inexperienced to look to faster powders or great compression to restore velocity with a potential huge increase in pressure. The 458WM is a shit case to do this with it barely has enough powder space as it is and alegidly never makes origional published velocities.
According to german proof practices a 10% increase in bullet weight will give a 30% increase in pressure for the same load. Yours is 44% over standard,. So for the silly this is a hand grenade.

Many posters here will not publish loads that are out of the envelope or beyond factory/SAMMI/CIP max, although they may use them personally.

I shoot amoungst other things a custom 6mm BR in a Ruger #1 action. My loads are way over max, but I built it myself, and tested it myself, the barrel is brand new, the chamber cut with a custom Kiff reamer and has as close to practical zero headspace.. But I would not publish them or advocate them.

Now your loads may be used in a ex military 90 year old small ring Mauser conversion by some 20 year old kid who picked it and an old press and dies up at a gun fair looking for the biggest bang for his bucks to impress his friends. Now does that as an engineer ( which you clearly must be to cut such nice moulds) make you feel comftable?

I happen to disagree with the super heavy lead bullet thing, because it has been my experience ( I shoot for the national team and clock up more than 30,000 rounds a year on ranges) that most people cannot shoot for shit with fairly mild mid range rifles/calibers let alone big stuff and would be better with a 8mm or 30-06 and some practice.
I think that somebody will take a load like this someday, think it substitutes for a FMJ solid and get themselves and or a PH/tracker stomped. It was decided long ago that a lead bullet soft enough to be reliable could not be driven at great enough velocity (unless paper patched). And one hard enough to make the velocity is frangable in large game.
So I see little point except for blowing up water jugs ( which is reason enough if you like that).

Hell Sir it is no business of mine what you or your friends want to shoot. There is a thread here for " 12 guage from hell" which is well out of the box. The difference is that they are individuals having a ball and posting about it. You are selling bullets.

That IMHO puts a greater onus on you for responsible behaviour.

Regards

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: 720 Grain .458 Win Mag Loads [Re: Bramble]
      #83429 - 02/08/07 11:49 AM

You won't get any gripes from me. Heck, I swage jacketed bullets for my 9.3x57's out of 9mm NATO and 7.62x25 empty brass filled with wheelweight metal!!

However, I have an honest question:

Recognizing that this project must originate from some need or curiousity, what is it?

Is there some performance superiority of a 720 gr bullet over a 500?

Seriously, I am wondering, as I can conceive of a whole host of good reasons for a 500 and maybe even 600, but the length of the 720 makes me wonder about case capacity, etc.

More info please!

By the way, I remember reading an article by Jack Lott {G&A??} back in the '70's about a "friend" of his who had a .458 Lott and a .458 Winchester in Thailand. Used cast bullets on their buffalo there. They worked.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

KDMCustom
.224 member

Re: 720 Grain .458 Win Mag Loads [Re: 9.3x57]
      #83430 - 02/08/07 12:36 PM

The test report was just that...a test to develop a load for a 720 grain cast bullet in the .458 Win Mag. I did not recommend the loads nor were they intended to be load data.

If one chooses to reload ammunition then one takes the huge responsibility along with it. A highly educated reloader is a safe reloader.

Heavy bullets typically penetrate deeper than lighter bullets. The 720 is heavier and should penetrate deeper than a 500. A heavier bullet at a lower velocity has a slower recoil velocity and is less punishing to the shooter. The 12 gauge shotgun proves this point nicely.

I have a passion for heavy bullets..is that reason enough?

Everyone has their theory on rifles and cartridges for dangerous game. Some prefer 2300 fps others 2500 fps and still others 2150 fps. John Linebaugh...1250 fps. The Big Five have been taken with the 454 Casull, 500 S&W, 45-70, 8 Bore and of course Karamoja Bell with a 7x57...to mention a few.

Ask a Bison hunter about his favorite 45-70 load and how it penetrates completely through a 2000 pound Bison. Heavy cast bullet at low velocity.

The 720 grain .458 cast bullet seems to be stable in a 1 in 14" twist barrel and can attain a velocity in the neighborhood of 1600 fps..safely. A 720 grain hard cast bullet at 1600 fps will certainly take any animal on our planet.

--------------------
KDM Custom
Your Brass + My Labor

9.3x57
.450 member

#83441 - 02/08/07 11:12 PM

KDM: I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of these bullets with a 500 cast, 600 cast and 500 FMJ in order to demonstrate the utility of such bullets and of course what the best weight for a heavy cast .45 bullet is.

Run the 500 FMJ at say, typical NE velocity {2150 fps e.g.} and then the others at the velocities of a safe working load. I understand this last bit may light up Bramble a bit {i.e., What IS a safe working load?...} but we US shooters deal with this stuff all the time in working up loads for wildcats and/or handloads without pressure testing equipment. Don't list the loads if you want to avoid the drama, that's OK by me.

As for accuracy, 1.33 inch 3-shot groups at 50 even from a sandbagged rest are better than many old bolt guns of various calibers would do, i.e. 3-inches at 100, {many writers have addressed this over the years and my own experience assures me it's true}. Certainly 1.33 is better than the capabilities of many doubles, even assuming extreme spreads of 4 to 6 inches at 100 {read Boddington sometime on the subject} and would be more than accurate enough for just about any game shot with an iron-sighted rifle. Obviously, accuracy is always a goal to be improved upon and nice cloverleafs at 50 would be delightful.

It is axiomatic that almost only the superfine groups get cited on forums, with run-of-the-mill or normal groups never seeing the light of day. Anytime I have ever seen common garden-run groups {the ones mostly shot} cited on a forum there is great criticism of either the load or shooter or both. Welcome to the internet. Every now and then when I really feel good on a bright sunny day and I want to come down off my cloud a bit, I show a few of my 100 yard field-position groups to the electronic public. Then I sit back and listen to the howls!!

I am personally one who simply enjoys the process because the process so often, even with kelly humps in the trail, leads to a great result, and a guy doesn't know unless he tries. I don't personally see anything irresponsible in what you have done here. Obviously handloading is dangerous and load development more so. Some are very sensitive to anything not produced in a lab by an "expert" so maybe you should steer away from citing specific loads if it creates so much outrage.

I have read of some of the results of what you identify {handgun hunting the Big Five} and while I believe most all of it represents stuntwork, it does highlight the legitimate ballistic utility and potential of properly-cast bullets. I admit I have always been very curious to see solid cast bullets compared to FMJ's on deep penetration and for use against DG, in heavy game rifles. I personally see no obvious reason that properly-alloyed cast bullets couldn't nearly take the place of FMJ's for most FMJ work on game, particularly at the typical velocities of NE rounds. But if you succeed here, don't tell Kynoch!!

I am dead sure that guys wedded to expertly manufactured jacketed or monolithic solids will have a tough time seeing the possibilities here, but I've seen enough medium-weight performance of .45 cal bullets {400-420 gr} that I am pretty certain heavier weights have great possibilities. It may require experimentation with alloys and possibly heat treatment, sizing and lube, but my experience with cast bullets has been so good on game that I have a hunch they might be able to step into the realm of the FMJ for almost all applications. Maybe your 720 or a 600 would be the right mix of weight and velocity. {?}

Intuitively, a 720/.45 seems a bit big to me. To me. That is just personal taste/observation/hunch. Crowds powder capacity, strains twist/stability, effects sighting. But that is my intuition, not something based on experience. Maybe you are on to something. Regarding twist rate, try shooting some at 200+ meters and see if you get noticeable yaw in the target. Frankly, I wondered if the thing would come out of the gun looking like a bat thrown at a pitcher! That it didn't shines bright!

Sighting is mentioned as a troublespot. This is a pretty typical challenge when a guy steps up so radically with bullet weight. In a DG rifle the sights would obviously have to be altered to address this, and any soft points or heavy cast HP's would probably have to hover around the same weight as the "solid". So there you are, reason to design another!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Tatume
.400 member

#83444 - 02/08/07 11:29 PM

> I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of these bullets with a 500 cast, 600 cast and 500 FMJ
> in order to demonstrate the utility of such bullets and of course what the best weight for a
> heavy cast .45 bullet is.

My usual penetration tests are done in the spring, when the new phone books come out. I collect the old books at work for "recycling" and do all my testing in a batch. I don't have enough left over to stop any of KDM's 720 gr cast bullets.

You mentioned that you use alternating water bottles and boards. Do you have penetration data for 500 gr bullets? If so, please post your testing procedure, and I'll duplicate it and test one (possibly more) of KDM's bullets. One datum (or a few data) do not a tread make, but it would be an interesting comparison anyway. At this point I can't fire a statistically significant sample.

Take care, Tom

DarylS
.700 member

#83447 - 03/08/07 12:17 AM

I see nothing wrong with the method or manner of KDM's original post. As he noted, "this is not loading data' and goes on later to note his pressure findings. His use of primer appearance to denote pressure is a common one used amongst handloaders. Also, extraction and case life would round out the methods. We all use these, along with case head and case web expansion over a 'standard'. The problem with 'standards' is that factory ammo in .458 is loaded to reduced presssure levels, hense the poor velocity showings of todays factory stuff.
: The .458 has plenty space to develop 'original' factory specs. One need only look through some of the manuals to see this. I cannot condone those who hear, or read something negative about a round, then jump on that band wagon and continue to proclaim what they 'heard' as if it was gospel. Even Hornady's recent 'new' loading book lists loads with soft and solid 500gr. up to 2,200fps. Folks, that's 150fps higher than the 'accepted' .470Nitro does with the same bullet weight. Why the .470 is OK and the 2.5" .458 is not powerful enough, is beyond me. Barnes #3 also lists loads for 500gr. 'hard' bullets to over 2,150fps. I think many of the detractors of the .458 have never owned one, nor chrono'd one, nor developed good ammo for one.
: As I noted, I'm certain KDM will get the accuracy sorted out with better sighting arrangements. In the big bores, the heavier the bullet, the lower the velocity, the higher the point of impact.
: I've been shooting cast bullets for 35 years, in many different calibres, rifles, handguns and from shotguns as well. I've shot deer, bear and moose with them and can attest to their wonderful penetrative and killing powers.
: Bigger/heavier has always been better.
: Overall cartidge length numbers are pretty much imaterial to someone who is an ackomplished handloader. That length is good only for one rifle, anyway, the one that load was developed in. Rifles have different throat lengths and even throat angles, different leade lengths, and some have a freebore condition, allowing even longer overall lengths and therefore all require different load data to develop identical pressure. Mine were all cut with my own reamers - someones else's data is merely data I can reduce a safe amount, to develop my own data from. Published data is a starting point only for the devlopment of one's own data.
; Damn, that's a nice looking bullet, KDM.

--------------------
Daryl

9.3x57
.450 member

#83454 - 03/08/07 02:07 AM

Quote:

> I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of these bullets with a 500 cast, 600 cast and 500 FMJ
> in order to demonstrate the utility of such bullets and of course what the best weight for a
> heavy cast .45 bullet is.

My usual penetration tests are done in the spring, when the new phone books come out. I collect the old books at work for "recycling" and do all my testing in a batch. I don't have enough left over to stop any of KDM's 720 gr cast bullets.

You mentioned that you use alternating water bottles and boards. Do you have penetration data for 500 gr bullets? If so, please post your testing procedure, and I'll duplicate it and test one (possibly more) of KDM's bullets. One datum (or a few data) do not a tread make, but it would be an interesting comparison anyway. At this point I can't fire a statistically significant sample.

Take care, Tom

Tom: The thread ".375 Penetration" has a post of mine where I cite links to several tests I've run. I try to have as much fun with stuff as I can. Fun sometimes breeds a lot of learning, too!

Essentially, here it is:

One 1/2 inch thick piece of CDX plywood followed by one water-filled gallon milk jug followed by another piece of plywood followed by another jug, and so on. I shoot the jug/board setup from 20 meters. Generally, even premium, controlled expansion softnose bullets in a variety of calibers will be stopped in the 4th jug.

I'm guessing you better have 8 set up to handle the 720, maybe more? I also think that yaw if any will appear in this test as a difficulty in keeping the shots travelling true and shots might exit out the side if yaw exists on impact. This same phenomenon occurs with media-induced yaw when firing some spitzer FMJ's.

I have never shot a .458 rifle into my test, only .45-70 one load of which is cited in the material, I believe {a cast 402 grain HP}. Unfortunately, I do not have a .458 Win rifle or any other heavy to test.

Are you telling me I need another rifle...?

My .02˘ spin is that a good 500 grain cast bullet that could be shot for dirt cheap and provide identical sighting as the FMJ would be a very nice bullet for the guy that really wants to shoot his heavy alot and use it on some game. {IIRC, I think that was Jack Lott's reasoning for his buddy's setup in Thailand}. Can the 720 provide enough added performance to make sighting changes worthwhile?? KDM's investigation is very interesting to me and I suspect to many other readers also!

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#83457 - 03/08/07 04:24 AM

: 9.3's note: - "My .02˘ spin is that a good 500 grain cast bullet that could be shot for dirt cheap and provide identical sighting as the FMJ would be a very nice bullet for the guy that really wants to shoot his heavy alot and use it on some game. {IIRC, I think that was Jack Lott's reasoning for his buddy's setup in Thailand}. Can the 720 provide enough added performance to make sighting changes worthwhile?? KDM's investigation is very interesting to me and I suspect to many other readers also!"
;
: John Buhmiller used a double .450 BPE for 'toughening up" his shoulder, prior to his African hunts. John was in his 70's or 80's before making it to Africa the first time. In the double .450 BPE, he loaded 500gr. bullets, with 100gr. 3F and put a wooden block between the triggers so both barrels would go off at almost the same instance. This was his 'practise' shooting for getting used to recoil, so he wouldn't have to shoot expensive ammo in his .450 and .500 magnums, both built on the .378 WTB case. This was pre-.460 Weatherby era, and his data and case design was used by Roy for the .460W.
:
: The real beauty of the large bores is that cast bullets can indeed be loaded to the same ballistics as their jacketed counterparts and they do allow much practise for merely the cost of primers and powder. Straight WW metal can be harded to withstand even 3,000fps if one is inclined to go that far wiht cast bullets.
;
: I am inclinded to think while the flat nose of the 720 will create some small amount of cavitation around the bullet hole, there may be less than with a 500 or 600gr.'ers higher velocity. I am, of course, referring to a flatnosed 500 or 600gr. cast bullet, not a 500 FMJ RN which might not produce more cavitation than the 720gr.

--------------------
Daryl

bigdog
.375 member

Reged: 05/02/06
Loc: Southern Illinois
      #83476 - 03/08/07 10:51 AM

KDM, I like heavy bullets and I think they are fun to shoot. Anyone hand loading should be responsible enough to be cautious when it comes to heavy bullets and increasing pressures.If some idiot overloads stuff way past max, that is his problem. We all have to be responsible for our own actions and not blame some one else.I shoot factory buffalo bore ammo though a modified BFR revolver in 50 alaskan. Some people say it is unsafe. I do this at my own risk and with my own testing. Why? because I get a kick out of it. Like some people want heavy bullets for a 458 win mag. I wonder how they would shoot in a 458 Lott?

--------------------
Kyle, I love you buddy, Dad

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 720 Grain .458 Win Mag Loads [Re: bigdog]
      #83489 - 03/08/07 12:01 PM

Probably another 200fps from the Lott. They'd be super, just like the recoil.

--------------------
Daryl

KDMCustom
.224 member

#87659 - 24/10/07 05:03 AM

The 720 grain LFNGC will do 1675 fps in the .458 Win mag with Alliant powder. The .458 Lott will do 1900 fps.

Groups are in the neighborhood of 1.5" at 100 yards

I'm working on some 750 grain WFNGC's in .585. They're cast ad ready for sizing and lube. What a chunk of lead!! Now all I need is a 577 double!!!

Next project - 400 grain LFNGC for the .375. I'm shooting for 2000-2100 fps.

--------------------
KDM Custom
Your Brass + My Labor

600JDJ
.275 member

Reged: 22/04/04
Loc: Iowa, USA
      #87672 - 24/10/07 09:07 AM

I too am interested. I cast a lot for my 600s and the 400gr 375 sounds interesting. Here is my design for the 600JDJ. It's an 800gr-90% meplat design and shoots great at 1500 fps as a practice round. I've never killed with it, but it hits like a train

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 720 Grain .458 Win Mag Loads [Re: 600JDJ]
      #87688 - 24/10/07 12:19 PM

600JDJ - that bullet and load would be splendid on grizzlies.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16048

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com