Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Perfect Bolt Action

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Mike_McGuire
.333 member

Reged: 11/06/05
Loc: Sydney Australia
Re: The Perfect Bolt Action [Re: starman]
      #58528 - 09/06/06 12:57 AM

does not seem to think ones needs more recoil lug. He first made them with the typical cut out behind the recoil lug

Starman,

Are you making this up as you go along?

If you started with a Model 70 receiver why would you make the recoil lug half the size......then move the recoil lug back so you had less stock material behind the "new" little recoil lug.

Why would you make the tang with no bedding area and make it in such a way that the tang did not sit on top of the stock material?

Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: The Perfect Bolt Action [Re: 577Tyrannosaur]
      #58537 - 09/06/06 03:32 AM

To add my 2 cents worth to some of the other fine suggestions, I would manufacture it with upgraded wood (at least AAA) as standard, pillar bed it, and finish it off with a nice oil, or at least a nice satin finish. Add one of the newer generation red recoil pads. Add a satin finish to all metal parts. On anything .375 H&H and up, provide sights that are going to hold up.

Bwanaclark
.224 member

Reged: 20/05/06
      #58550 - 09/06/06 09:03 AM

I liked the recent model 70’s with a couple of caveats:

1. I too think the quality was wanting. I personally don’t care what technology is used to create the receiver, but I do expect it to be properly bedded and the crown to be concentric with the bore.
2. I didn’t like the anti-bind rail system. The lug machined onto the bolt seems a more robust solution to me.

starman
.275 member

Reged: 23/08/05
Loc: nsw
Re: The Perfect Bolt Action [Re: Mike_McGuire]
      #58557 - 09/06/06 12:40 PM

Mike378,

No I am not making it up
I have the original brochures that show the recess behind the lug, and in more recent emails directly from Brian he mentions that he has deleted the recess.
If you read correctly, I said that he deleted the cutout behind the lug, making things straight like a mauser. I made no mention of moving the M70 type lug rearward.
You simply missinterpreted my post.
It is funny that some are asking for a recoil lug that is bigger than the m70, but the guy who is actuall y making the best M70 around, is going in the other direction.

If you have any doubt,I can give you Brians email and you can discuss it with him yourself. and share the info here for all to see.
It has not stopped people constantly asking him to make actions. as a result, he has sent recent emails to other people that he stays in contact with, to see if they may be interested in a reciever,cause its not to much trouble do a few more if setting up to do a run of them anyway. Might I add, 70% of the magnum length recievers strongly requested are to be 375h*h. and i would not be surprised if there will be a 458Lott or 470capstick in there somewhere.

As far as your question about the tang area, Dave Miller who according to many builds some of the most expensive and most refined M70s to be had, slims the tangs down to resemble the m98 to achieve that refinement.

Also too few people understand that the one piece M98 bottom metal and the way it locks with reciever and fits in the stock(if properly stocked), works as a combined unit in aid to taking the forces of the barrelled action. Mr Mauser was no dill. You cannot do that in the same way with the M70 typical 2pc bottommetal . It simply does not have the same level of integrity of relationship as the M98box has with its reciever and stock.

Edited by starman (09/06/06 04:54 PM)

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

Reged: 11/06/05
Loc: Sydney Australia
Re: The Perfect Bolt Action [Re: starman]
      #58559 - 09/06/06 01:24 PM

Starman,

What I was trying to get at was not so what for friend is doing rather comparing M70/M98.

In other words, imagine the M70 had been first on the scene and someone suggested a new action and to make this new action they would:

1) Reduce the recoil lug by half and then position it further back so as to reduce the amount of stock material behind the new small recoil lug and

2) Reduce the tang size so that was virtually no bedding area left.

They would be the sort things you would have to do if one was to "convert" a Model 70 to a Mauser.

Mike

577Tyrannosaur
.224 member

Reged: 22/04/06
Loc: Saint Louis, MO
Re: The Perfect Bolt Action [Re: Mike_McGuire]
      #58859 - 15/06/06 06:26 AM

I'm loving this discussion. You are debating many of the issues that one of the new design eliminates entirely. I hope you will all be thrilled when you see it.

Some great points being made.

For those of you that didn't see it in the other forum tomorrow the article will be coming out in the Wall Street Journal in the market place. Please take a read and let me know.

Thanks

Mike

DavidC
.224 member

Reged: 13/08/05
      #66558 - 08/12/06 07:17 AM

Any update on the new actions from Winchester?

I haven't heard anything for quite some time & Mike aka 'Winchester' has not been around.

Anyone have an update for us?

I really hope Winchester is moving along as Mike mentioned in this thread...????

Regards,
Dave

340Wby
.224 member

Reged: 28/06/06
Loc: Up high!
Re: The Perfect Bolt Action [Re: Judson]
      #68570 - 03/01/07 01:40 AM

Well the perfect bolt action,mmmmmmmmm okay.
I like two main actions the most(Also others but I could not be farked listing my second pic's),as IMO they both will serve a royal service .

PUSH-FEED=Weatherby Mark V!(9-lug action,latest addition(US made).
What I would change=More action lengths.

CRF=Winchester M70 Pre-64!
What I would change=More action lengths.

NUFF SAID I'M GOING HUNTING,isn't that what it's all about.

Edited by 340Wby (03/01/07 01:42 AM)

dbush2508
.224 member

Reged: 07/11/06
Loc: Nebraska, USA
Re: The Perfect Bolt Action [Re: Judson]
      #68905 - 06/01/07 06:53 AM

I agree with Judson. Winchester cut their own throat. They have been turning out a pretty poor product for any number of years. Let's let them fade into history.

Dave

Fossdal
.224 member

Reged: 30/12/06
Loc: Norway
Re: The Perfect Bolt Action [Re: dbush2508]
      #68957 - 06/01/07 11:18 PM

I have never understood the following of the "devine" M70 safety. I must say, I do not really care about it. Oh, it is very safe, and a vast improovement over an original flag-safety or 1/4flag like the Buehler, but it still is noway near the easy use of the safety of the Enfield, like Weatherby picked up and improoved.
So my perfect boltaction would be a HartmanWeiss98 without the thumbslot and with a Weatherby type safety.

340Wby
.224 member

Reged: 28/06/06
Loc: Up high!
      #68958 - 06/01/07 11:20 PM

Quote:

Guys, I really appreciate all the feed back. And you can be confident that this type of dialog will continue if I have anything to say about it.

I think lefties are statistically 20% of the market and don't worry they are included in the mix. I can't wait to get these patent pending so you all can see. They both should be some of the best bolt actions ever made, but the most advance action addresses any concern I think I have ever heard of and should be significantly more stout than any other bolt action ever made. The Safari hunters in here will appreciate many of the aspects of the functionality and especially the extraction.

Well all, wish me luck I'm driving to Denver tomorrow to make a meeting that will hopefully push this all along.

Mike

What's the deal mate,is it a goer .

PS-Heard Browning might be bringing out a new slightly improved Model 70?,this time MADE IN JAPAN.
Tipping quality will be a far sight better than some of the last US made M70's.

Edited by 340Wby (06/01/07 11:20 PM)

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: The Perfect Bolt Action [Re: 340Wby]
      #69028 - 07/01/07 05:48 PM

The Perfect Bolt action???

Well it should feed, extract, and eject out of the box.

It should be accurate, out of the box.

You should not have to worry about bedding, free floating, stock splitting, out of the box.

It should have a good trigger, out of the box.

Scope mounts should be "square", and take the recoil, out of the box.

It should have a weather resistant finish, out of the box.

MMMMM.....

Sounds like a Blaser R 93 to me.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12530

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com