Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Krico - A Very Rare & Very Nice 10.75x68 Big Game Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
Krico - A Very Rare & Very Nice 10.75x68 Big Game Rifle
      #383896 - 04/04/24 07:59 AM

Krico - A Very Rare & Very Nice 10.75x68 Big Game Rifle

I just acquired a German made Krico Model 700 in 10.75x68 cal. It must be pretty rare in this caliber because all the data I could find lists 9.3x62 as the largest caliber they make. Perhaps this was a special order.

Here are the specs:

8 lbs 5 oz -
14-1/4 LOP -
22-1/2" Bbl -
Jeweled Bolt -
Detachable 3-Round Magazine -
Standing Rear Site -
Elevation Adjustable Front Site -
EAW QD Scope bases -
Button Release Sling Swivels -
Button release Sling Swivels -
Packmayr Recoil Pad -

This is a remarkably smooth action. Bolt operates like its on glass bearings. The only actions that have similar smoothness are the Colt Sauer and the Krag.
Its push-feed with 1 up and 3 down. Although the standard overall cartridge length for 10.75x68 is 3.189", the box mag will handle 3.40" cartridge length.
Some people don't like push-feed actions, this one feeds flawlessly because the magazine has long "feed lips" on both sides that support the cartridge as it feeds into the chamber. And, the snap-over Sako style extractor allows fast single round "nto the chamber" feeding when necessary.

I can't wait to get to the range to test this one. (If Winter ever ends. Just got 12" of snow yesterday.)

As usual your comments are welcome. Especially if you have any information about Krico.

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/krico-000.jpg

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Krico - A Very Rare & Very Nice 10.75x68 Big Game Rifle [Re: buckstix]
      #383913 - 04/04/24 03:14 PM

hello

yes, agree very rare, neversee it in 10,75x68 before. it must be a speciel order by a german customer and I wonder how it ended in the united states one day. I can't imagine an american had order this rifle in 10,75, they had other options than.

you can ask for informations about your rifle here https://krico.de/krico-waffen-c-462.html

they wan't 30 euro, understand you send them your serial number and all you find on the gun with the money and they give your all they have in the records, when made and sold.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Krico - A Very Rare & Very Nice 10.75x68 Big Game Rifle [Re: lancaster]
      #383922 - 04/04/24 10:59 PM

Yes very rare indeed, certainly a special order as it has some unique features. Krico make nice guns that shoot well, just be aware that the plastic bolt shroud at the rear of the bolt have a habit of splitting. This is because they are attached by pressing it onto a stud with a bigger diameter head but this usually causes the shroud to split over time. Also check the safety is smooth to roll and stays in the on position when the trigger is pulled.

A great find by you once again, well done.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

buckstix
.400 member

Re: Krico - A Very Rare & Very Nice 10.75x68 Big Game Rifle [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #383925 - 04/04/24 11:23 PM

I updated the original picture above - imported to the U.S. as a 10.75x68 - also, I can't read German to make use of the Kraco site to get more info about the rifle - I'd be happy to pay the 30€ if I could communicate with them.

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/krico-000.jpg

--------------------

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #383931 - 05/04/24 03:55 AM

buckstix, I will ask Krico. More after I got an answer. BTW, the rifle was proofed by the Ulm proofhouse in April 1981.

buckstix
.400 member

Re: Krico - A Very Rare & Very Nice 10.75x68 Big Game Rifle [Re: kuduae]
      #383937 - 05/04/24 06:15 AM

Quote:

buckstix, I will ask Krico. More after I got an answer. BTW, the rifle was proofed by the Ulm proofhouse in April 1981.

Hello kuduae.
Thanks for the reply.

As I said, I would be happy to pay for the information. I would like to know the true model of the rifle. The importer marked it as a model 700 but really not sure if this is correct. When I find other pictures of the model 700 rifles they do not have a jeweled bolt and they look a little different.

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #383938 - 05/04/24 06:51 AM

You have a great calibre their Buckstix to play with!
Nothing like some of your bigger thumpers you fire, still it will be an interesting piece to get to the range & see what it will do.
What projectiles do you intend to use - 347gn?

kuduae
.400 member

#384034 - 09/04/24 09:52 PM

Quote:

When I find other pictures of the model 700 rifles they do not have a jeweled bolt and they look a little different.

Shapes and details differed over the time of production. The bolt jeweling is in no way unusual. Currently, there are 23 Krico rifles on auction at egun. 17 have jeweled bolts, only 6 are without this decoration. So jeweling seems to be the rule, smooth bolts an early? exception. The only unusual feature I can see in your photos is the 10.75x68 chambering.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #384037 - 10/04/24 12:02 AM

Perhaps ordered by a German resident in the USA. This happens in Australia as well. A German or Austrian resident might buy guns and cartridge chamberungs cultural to "home".

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Krico - A Very Rare & Very Nice 10.75x68 Big Game Rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #384049 - 10/04/24 09:16 AM

Here is some history about Krico available from their website. You may have already seen this. I recall Krico rifles being available here in NZ and they were not overly expensive in the common calibres. There are a few Krico 22RF rifles currently for sale on our Trade Me auction site at prices similar to Ruger 10-22s.

I note from the history below that Krico commenced manufacture of their Model 600 and 700 rifles in 1963.

The KRICO History

Krico is the brand name of the German firm of Krieqeskorte GmbH. The company has a history dating back to 1878. The founder Robert Kriegeskorte was born in 1853 in the town of Rönsahl. After his schooling he became a trainee salesman with the local gunpowder company of Cramer & Buchholz. At the end of his apprenticeship he became the company’s representative for southern Germany and he moved to Esslingen near Stuttgart.

In 1878 he founded the company of Junghans & Kriegeskorte in Esslingen am Zollberg that was a wholesaler of gunpowder, dynamite, ammunition, and arms. He built a powder depot for his business but met with resistance from the local population and the local authorities who found the storage of gunpowder far too dangerous. Eventually Kriegeskorte moved his business to the place then known as Cannstatt that today forms part of Stuttgart. It is apparent from material from the archives that the business flourished.

By the beginning of 1918 Max Kriegeskorte – the founder’s son – took over the running of the business. After World War I the company had difficulties because both the trading and production of weapons was banned. For this reason Krico turned its attention to the fabrication of other steel products.

In the period between 1925 and 1928 Kriegeskorte produced cycle frames. Krico began branch operations in both Suhl and Solingen but these were closed after a few years because they were not profitable.

In 1928 the Junghans & Kriegeskorte company was converted to a private company and since then has been known as Kriegeskorte & Co. GmbH. Max Kriegeskorte and his wife expanded the business with considerable drive and energy.

Max began comprehensive mechanization of the production in 1939 but this quickly came to an end with the outbreak of World War ll. it had been intended for both Max’s sons Rolf and Arndt Kriegeskorte – to take over the helm, with Rolf as the technical engineer and Arndt as the commercial director. The war put paid to these plans, as Arndt was killed in 1944 and Rolf was severely wounded.
Max Kriegeskorte himself died in June 1945.

The business continued at the end of the war in the hands of Rolf and his mother, Emma Kriegeskorte. There were considerable problems because the production of weapons and ammunition was forbidden by the Allies. It was therefore not possible for the company to continue in its previous trade. Kriegeskorte decided to make household products.

In 1947 Krico was given permission to make slaughter firearms and this was followed in 1949 by permission to make starting pistols.

It was not until 1950 that the company was allowed to make air rifles and the following year they were granted the approval for small caliber rifles

The production of hunting rifles started in 1954 with Model 400 for .22 Hornet and .222 Rem. calibers. Following this Krico was kept busy converting former military Mausers to sporting and hunting use.

The company developed models 600 and 700 for heavier calibers in 1963.

The son Dieter Kriegeskorte, joined the firm in 1967, followed in 1976 by his brother Arndt as technical director. The company was split into the holding company Kriegeskorte &. Co. and the operational company Krico GmbH in 1980.

Arndt Kriegeskorte acquired the entire share stock of the company in 1986 and the following year he moved the business to Fürth in Bavaria. The company entered into a joint venture with Dynamit Nobel to develop the Rottweil Paragon over-and-under shotgun in 1988 but this project stagnated and after a few years proved to be unprofitable. The resulting losses made the bankruptcy of Kriegeskorte GmbH unavoidable.

Krico moved to Vohburg-lrsching on the Donau, south of Ingolstadt in Bavaria in 1994 – Here the company was slowly rebuilt so that in 1997 Krico introduced its new Model 902 bolt-action repeating rifle. ArndtKriegeskorte designed this weapon that was produced in ltaly by CD-Europe.

In 1999 Krico merged in Norway with the well-known Kongsberg Small Arms Company.

Out of the reason that the market for repeating rifles became too small to become profitable the production of the Model 902 has been stopped in 2005.

Since the year 2006 the Kriegeskorte GmbH is specializing in export, import and storage of hunting and sporting weapons.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Krico - A Very Rare & Very Nice 10.75x68 Big Game Rifle [Re: eagle27]
      #384053 - 10/04/24 02:09 PM

Thanks for the history.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

93x64mm
.416 member

Re: Krico - A Very Rare & Very Nice 10.75x68 Big Game Rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #384062 - 10/04/24 06:27 PM

Let's hope this old company keeps on going, they did make damn fine guns from what I've seen of them.

buckstix
.400 member

Re: Krico - A Very Rare & Very Nice 10.75x68 Big Game Rifle [Re: 93x64mm]
      #384093 - 12/04/24 07:33 AM

*** UPDATE *** The rifle came with a set of EAW pivot bases but no rings. A set of EAW rings and bases retail for almost $600. Fortunately I found a used set of rings and bases for a Sauer model 600 for $175, and used only the needed rings. Then I added a 1980s Leupold 1.5x-5x scope. On-and-off scope function is great. (see updated pictures) Next week I go to the range to test it.

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/krico-scope.jpg

--------------------

fjrdoc
.300 member

Reged: 20/05/22
Loc: United States
      #384094 - 12/04/24 08:06 AM

great looking period-correct outfit.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Krico - A Very Rare & Very Nice 10.75x68 Big Game Rifle [Re: fjrdoc]
      #384095 - 12/04/24 10:58 AM

Looks good, but in the photos the rear ring looks noticeably lower than the front ring. It could just be the angle of the pic?

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

eagle27
.400 member

Re: Krico - A Very Rare & Very Nice 10.75x68 Big Game Rifle [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #384096 - 12/04/24 12:29 PM

Quote:

Looks good, but in the photos the rear ring looks noticeably lower than the front ring. It could just be the angle of the pic?

Matt.

Yes I was wondering about that too. The scope doesn't seem to be sitting horizontal with the rifle and there is quite a gap in the front ring lower/upper interface on the off-side to the bolt indicating maybe the ring is clamping an 'angled' scope. Usually when correctly fitted rings are tightened around a scope there should be very little gap between the upper and lower ring interfaces. Could well be camera angles but normally photos taken perfectly side on like those in this post show the rifle and scope horizontal with each other.
Bore sight will quickly show a miss-aligned scope.

buckstix
.400 member

#384098 - 12/04/24 03:29 PM

Hello,

There is no gap in the rings, its just light reflection. There is no binding and the alignment works smoothly when pivoting the scope into position.

and....

Yes, the front ring is .017 inches higher than the rear. I am not sure why. According to my calculations the bullet would impact 8 inches low at 50 yards because of this offset. Perhaps muzzle rise from recoil will bring the bullet up to aiming point. Test firing will see what happens. Regardless, the scope has adequate elevation adjustment to compensate for this offset.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #384103 - 13/04/24 02:56 AM

Hard on the scope's tube and innards, if the rear mount doesn't allow the scope to pivot. Harder on it more, when firing.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

buckstix
.400 member

Re: Krico - A Very Rare & Very Nice 10.75x68 Big Game Rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #384104 - 13/04/24 04:07 AM

Hello DarylS,

These mounts are such that the front ring allows the scope to pivot, so there is no torque on the scope tube. I did do a little scope adjusting to correct the uphill scope mounting.

Here is the first field test. Wind gusts of 30+ mph accounted for the windage spread. I also removed and replaced the scope twice to check repeatability of the pivot-off mounts. Its sighted 1" high at 50 yds which puts it dead-on at 130 yds.

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/krico-targ-2.jpg

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

#384107 - 13/04/24 05:12 AM

You could probably get a bit more out of it yet mate - mind you that's a good group considering the wind!

eagle27
.400 member

#384112 - 13/04/24 08:57 AM

Quote:

Hello,

There is no gap in the rings, its just light reflection. There is no binding and the alignment works smoothly when pivoting the scope into position.

and....

Yes, the front ring is .017 inches higher than the rear. I am not sure why. According to my calculations the bullet would impact 8 inches low at 50 yards because of this offset. Perhaps muzzle rise from recoil will bring the bullet up to aiming point. Test firing will see what happens. Regardless, the scope has adequate elevation adjustment to compensate for this offset.

Aah, at least our eyes weren't telling lies. Obviously the rings you picked up second hand for a Sauer 600 are not quite the correct ones for your Krico 700. While the setup seems to be working in terms of getting a satisfactory POI, I imagine the scope adjustments are well away from the ideal centralised position, or at least close to central. Personally I couldn't live with the aesthetics of the scope being noticeably 'off' horizontal. Couldn't the scope be shimmed in the rear ring?

buckstix
.400 member

#384129 - 13/04/24 07:54 PM

Quote:

... Obviously the rings you picked up second hand for a Sauer 600 are not quite the correct ones for your Krico 700. ....Personally I couldn't live with the aesthetics of the scope being noticeably 'off' horizontal. Couldn't the scope be shimmed in the rear ring?

Only the Sauer 600 rings were used, not the bases. The correct 700 bases came with the rifle so I assume the .017 inch difference was made to compensate for muzzle rise during this rifle's heavy recoil. And yes, I didn't like the look either, and although not necessary, I used a shim to level the scope.

--------------------

kuduae
.400 member

#384132 - 13/04/24 08:33 PM

The bottom block of the rear ring, below the windage screws, is interchangeable. These blocks are offered by EAW in various hights as spare parts, in .5 mm increments. These are used to level the scope mounting and should be available in the USA. You obviously need a higher block to mount your scope properly.

buckstix
.400 member

#384166 - 14/04/24 10:26 AM

Hello kuduae,

I used only the rings from the used Sauer 600 set of EAW rings and bases. I was going to machine the bottom of the front base to lower it, or shim under the rear base to raise it, but both bases were permanently "cemented" to the action and couldn't be removed. Since I could not remove either, I added a 0.020 inch thick shim under the scope tube in the rear ring, which leveled the scope and allowed for adequate elevation adjustment with 3 - 4 minutes to spare. The scope is now zeroed to 130 yards and could be zeroed out to 225 yads if desired.

--------------------

kuduae
.400 member

#384183 - 15/04/24 02:12 AM

On a halfway decent rifle, especially one with more recoil than a .223, I would not trust such an makeshift adjustment by shims and spacers. I would take some carefull measurements and inveat into an EAW Rear foot sub-base of the proper height. The front ring is adjustable for the altered angle by loosening of the two clamping screws between ring and sub-base. Here is the page of rear ring sub-bases from an EAW catalog:

buckstix
.400 member

#384199 - 15/04/24 09:37 AM

Quote:

On a halfway decent rifle, especially one with more recoil than a .223, I would not trust such an makeshift adjustment by shims and spacers. I would take some careful l measurements and invest into an EAW Rear foot sub-base of the proper height. The front ring is adjustable for the altered angle by loosening of the two clamping screws between ring and sub-base.

Hello kuduae,
The information is very useful. Thank you.

--------------------

buckstix
.400 member

#384445 - 24/04/24 03:28 AM

Well,

I found another ring assembly on eBay and bought it. This had a wider ring, but lower by 0.025" and it worked just fine. I didn't adjust windage on this target because the group was so nice. I adjusted the scope to the left to center the group before putting away the rifle. I fired a total of 15 shots and recoil was very comfortable and could have shot more but ran out of time.

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

#384446 - 24/04/24 05:26 AM

Well that certainly did the trick Buckstix!
Lovely group.
Anything that you decide to get in front of that will be in very serious trouble!
Job done!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 947

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com