Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 378 Weatherby: Why is it still around?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
casper50
.400 member

Reged: 18/10/07
Loc: Alaska
Re: 378 Weatherby: Why is it still around? [Re: NitroX]
      #380350 - 26/10/23 08:28 AM

I use mine every year. I'm taking it with me in November for my Kodiak brown bear hunt. Most of the moose I've shot with it have been 150 yards or less. But I've taken one at 425. That's why I use it. If needed it will reach out there and touch them.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: 378 Weatherby: Why is it still around? [Re: casper50]
      #380365 - 26/10/23 11:17 PM

Quote:

I use mine every year. I'm taking it with me in November for my Kodiak brown bear hunt. Most of the moose I've shot with it have been 150 yards or less. But I've taken one at 425. That's why I use it. If needed it will reach out there and touch them.

425 yards is a LOOOOOOONNNNG way.......certainly will reach out & touch them alright!
Great shooting Casper!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 378 Weatherby: Why is it still around? [Re: 93x64mm]
      #380369 - 27/10/23 02:48 AM

Casper, thanks. That's a long shot.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

justcurious
.333 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Germany
      #380426 - 28/10/23 08:42 PM

For me, the only justified reason of existance of the .378 W was that its cases could easily used to refom very good .416 Rigby cases . At least in the 80 s , when it was nearly impossible to source good brass for that cartridge.

casper50
.400 member

Reged: 18/10/07
Loc: Alaska
Re: 378 Weatherby: Why is it still around? [Re: justcurious]
      #380514 - 01/11/23 04:59 AM

I've got a Burris Eliminator range finding scope on it and I had a very good rest.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 378 Weatherby: Why is it still around? [Re: casper50]
      #380523 - 01/11/23 02:15 PM

.378 and .460 cases can be used to make up .500 Barnes Supreme ammo.

Shot one of those back in 1975 - YIKES.

The owner told me 125gr. IMR3031 with 600gr. Barnes copper tube, lead core solid.

The .460 WTBY used 125gr. H4831 with a 500gr. bullet.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: 378 Weatherby: Why is it still around? [Re: DarylS]
      #380568 - 03/11/23 07:19 AM

remember the early 90s when this were the only factory made big game cartridges beside of the .375 H&H and .458 Win mag at least in europe. some guns may be sold so there is still some demand.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: 378 Weatherby: Why is it still around? [Re: lancaster]
      #382671 - 18/02/24 02:53 PM

They are a Macho looking round ,a belt of those around your waist makes you feel like King Crap ! ,i keep selling mine then buy another one after ive kicked myself hard enough for selling the last one

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: 378 Weatherby: Why is it still around? [Re: 500Boswell]
      #382675 - 18/02/24 05:20 PM

The cartridge 378 Weatherby Magnum is not particularly suitable as a cartridge for big game hunting, but it is, due to its very good external ballistics, very suitable for long-range shooting.

I am very satisfied with the working of the cartridge 340 Weatherby Magnum when it comes to long-range shots on heavier game species, but I would easily exchange it for the cartridge 378 Weatherby Magnum for the same purposes. Unfortunately, most rifles caliber 378 Weatherby Magnum are conceptually intended as rifles for big game hunting, except this one:

https://egun.de/market/item.php?id=19306483

I like it very much, unfortunately due to my age I no longer have a need for such a rifle.

lancaster
.470 member

Re: 378 Weatherby: Why is it still around? [Re: grandveneur]
      #382679 - 18/02/24 08:55 PM

such a big case the .378 having would give you, being a reloader, a lot of opportunities. loading it down to .375 H&H ballistic would make it useful for european hunting. with a modern light monolithic solid bullet loaded hot as possible it must shooting like a laser on longe ranch.
it could be the rifle for all.

--------------------

grandveneur
.400 member

#382681 - 18/02/24 09:18 PM

Certainly is the cartridge 378 Weatherby Magnum primarily a matter for reloader.

However, the cartridge 378 Weatherby Magnum was initially presented as the ultimate big game cartridge. The following cartridge 460 Weatherby Magnum owes its birth only the cartridge 458 Winchester Magnum. Unfortunately was the cartridge 460 Weatherby Magnum not a great success either.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #382682 - 19/02/24 01:41 AM

Quote:

Certainly is the cartridge 378 Weatherby Magnum primarily a matter for reloader.

However, the cartridge 378 Weatherby Magnum was initially presented as the ultimate big game cartridge. The following cartridge 460 Weatherby Magnum owes its birth only the cartridge 458 Winchester Magnum. Unfortunately was the cartridge 460 Weatherby Magnum not a great success either.

You just dug up a memory I have of reading the .378 pitch, more or less that it would obsolete every other dangerous game caliber which of course as we know it did not. But Weatherby was a marketer and looked for empty slots in the caliber roster where he could pitch a line never before pitched.

TBH I think this was Elmer Keith's angle as well. I'm a fan of Elmer's writing and he got me out of a lot of potential trouble as a kid but he was a poverty-stricken, failed Idaho rancher who possessed great observation skills and a knack for homespun writing and...found a niche in declaring that calibers like the .30-06, etc were inadequate for elk and more or less marginal for deer! Elmer was something of a fan of the .378 as well and did recognize it was NOT a prime buffalo and elephant round but great on other species (where frankly, sorry, Elmer...even the .30-06 does good work!)

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 378 Weatherby: Why is it still around? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #382683 - 19/02/24 02:11 AM

Way back, John Buhmiller necked the .378 WTBY mag up to .458.
Roy W. was visiting him in Kalispel in the later 50's at his shop when John was doing some penetration tests with his new wildcat.
After returning to California, Roy brought out the .460 Wtby mag.
This is the story as I leaned from Lester H. Hawkes previously of Kalispel & friends with both Lester Bauska and "old" John.

--------------------
Daryl

grandveneur
.400 member

#382684 - 19/02/24 02:35 AM

Sure, these are all theoretical considerations, but I was still able to observe the better working at longer range on heaver game of a 250gr bullet caliber 338 compared to a 180gr bullet caliber 308. Therefore there is no reason that a 300gr bullet caliber 375 works even better, same requirements when it comes to bullet construction.

I have a good opinion of the cartridge 30-06 Springfield, but it has its limits when it comes to bullet weight and shooting distances.

9.3x57
.450 member

#382685 - 19/02/24 03:00 AM

Quote:

Sure, these are all theoretical considerations, but I was still able to observe the better working at longer range on heaver game of a 250gr bullet caliber 338 compared to a 180gr bullet caliber 308. Therefore there is no reason that a 300gr bullet caliber 375 works even better, same requirements when it comes to bullet construction.

I have a good opinion of the cartridge 30-06 Springfield, but it has its limits when it comes to bullet weight and shooting distances.

Ballistics can't be denied and the .378 sure puts forth a lot of ballistics!

But in practice, it's too much of a good thing for most folks. We have a lot of men in our area who have shot a lot of elk, a friend of mine as far as I can calculate a lot more than Elmer ever shot & that w/ .270/.30-06 class rifles. My primary elk guns are a 9.3x62 and .375 H&H but the idea that elk rifles need to be over .30 cal and range to 500 yards is ridiculous. Which was the point Jack O'connor made in his lifelong debate w/ ole Elmer. So the issue w/ the .378 or using the case, .338/.378 KT as a sort of standard for elk killing (or on other similar-sized game) is silly and frankly, borders on irresponsible if folks are encouraged to take very long shots where the heavy recoil of the rifles for most normal people does not mix well with the precision of shots demanded by the long range. None of this is secret tho and most hunters readily understand all of this which is why the .378 is virtually unknown around here and among many hunters, even those who train and shoot large ungulates at long range.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9.3x57 (19/02/24 03:02 AM)

lancaster
.470 member

#382687 - 19/02/24 06:24 AM

but you can't say all of this in public - a friend in finland once want to buy a .458 Win mag rifle because he want one and got a debate with his local police about it - why he would need such a rifle. answer was when hunting he had sometimes a position near to the next motorway and don't want to have a situation when a wounded elk runing over the street and cause a car accident. that was a understandable and he got his .458

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#382688 - 19/02/24 06:29 AM

I quite subscribing to "Wild TV" due to their penchant for telling people if they had a 7mm mg, or .300 mag, they could shoot elk at 1,000yards.

--------------------
Daryl

9.3x57
.450 member

#382692 - 19/02/24 07:18 AM

Quote:

but you can't say all of this in public - a friend in finland once want to buy a .458 Win mag rifle because he want one and got a debate with his local police about it - why he would need such a rifle. answer was when hunting he had sometimes a position near to the next motorway and don't want to have a situation when a wounded elk runing over the street and cause a car accident. that was a understandable and he got his .458

If you are stuck w/ lousy laws, at least it helps when you have cops willing to work with you!!

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#382697 - 19/02/24 03:30 PM

Quote:

But in practice, it's too much of a good thing for most folks. We have a lot of men in our area who have shot a lot of elk, a friend of mine as far as I can calculate a lot more than Elmer ever shot & that w/ .270/.30-06 class rifles. My primary elk guns are a 9.3x62 and .375 H&H but the idea that elk rifles need to be over .30 cal and range to 500 yards is ridiculous. Which was the point Jack O'connor made in his lifelong debate w/ ole Elmer. So the issue w/ the .378 or using the case, .338/.378 KT as a sort of standard for elk killing (or on other similar-sized game) is silly and frankly, borders on irresponsible if folks are encouraged to take very long shots where the heavy recoil of the rifles for most normal people does not mix well with the precision of shots demanded by the long range. None of this is secret tho and most hunters readily understand all of this which is why the .378 is virtually unknown around here and among many hunters, even those who train and shoot large ungulates at long range.

That's very true. Ballistics is a factual science.

But the effects of recoil is a physical one.

I can't see many people shooting accuracy with it.ican see lots of people flinching badly with it and not being able to hit a mountain.

I'm going to say that if the rdcoil is too heavy to shoot from a bench or prone, it's not an accurate long range cartridge for most.

Elmer Keith to my limited knowledge championed the .338 calibre as ideal. Which is nothing new. The .318 WR (.330) already existed, amild cartridge, not as a long range cartridge, but as an excellent larger medium game killer, up to and including elephant. Promoted by making an experienced African hunter. Works well on eland and on buffalo with reasonable shooting so would kill elk and moose easily. Being mild can be shot well by most.

Elmer Keith, apologies, sounds a bit of a dickhead. Probably would have promoted the Creedmoor today.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#382698 - 19/02/24 03:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If you are stuck w/ lousy laws, at least it helps when you have cops willing to work with you!!

That's also true. When shooting an animal near a border or boundary, one needs to anchor the East. Kill it or anchor it and prevent it going far.

Good reasons, or left field justifications that seem legitimate, can get one across the line.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
      #384480 - 25/04/24 05:29 PM

I’d love a 378, built relatively heavy and loaded with 350gr you’d have amazing penetration.

--------------------

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: 378 Weatherby: Why is it still around? [Re: Ash]
      #384481 - 25/04/24 08:37 PM

As I have already written, I am also of the opinion that, as far as you want to use the cartridge 378 Weatherby Magnum for big game hunting, it is well suited for the use of the heaviest bullets in this caliber class.

Because I am an advocate of the use of bigger calibers for big game hunting, I see this cartridge, thanks to its excellent external ballistics, as an excellent long-range cartridge for heavier game species. Should I buy a rifle of this caliber, I would only work with it in this direction and try to find a load with a suitable 300gr bullet intended for long-range shooting.

By the way, the rifle from CHRISTENSEN ARMS is still for sale.

DarylS
.700 member

#384485 - 26/04/24 12:37 AM

A LOT of Christianson Arms rifles for sale in a local store here in PG, B.C. Pricey they are, but no .378's.

--------------------
Daryl

DarylS
.700 member

#384486 - 26/04/24 12:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That's very true. Ballistics is a factual science.

But the effects of recoil is a physical one.

I can't see many people shooting accuracy with it.ican see lots of people flinching badly with it and not being able to hit a mountain.

I'm going to say that if the rdcoil is too heavy to shoot from a bench or prone, it's not an accurate long range cartridge for most.

Elmer Keith to my limited knowledge championed the .338 calibre as ideal. Which is nothing new. The .318 WR (.330) already existed, amild cartridge, not as a long range cartridge, but as an excellent larger medium game killer, up to and including elephant. Promoted by making an experienced African hunter. Works well on eland and on buffalo with reasonable shooting so would kill elk and moose easily. Being mild can be shot well by most.

Elmer Keith, apologies, sounds a bit of a dickhead. Probably would have promoted the Creedmoor today.

I got to know Elmer K. a bit, over the phone and some letters. I also have one of his books.
In my honest opinion, Elmer may have recommended that 6.5 only as a deer ctg. and for shooting gophers and prairie dogs, of course. He liked big numbered ctgs. overall, when used on larger big game.
Also, in my opinion, that 6.5 would be usable for anything the 6.5x55 and .260 Rem could be used for, just saying, which would include elk and moose.

--------------------
Daryl

DarylS
.700 member

#384488 - 26/04/24 12:50 AM

One must realize, that Elmer grew up in a time where there were no 'premium' bullets. The Nosler Partition of his time, was unreliable, made on the screw-machines. Some worked perfectly, but likely as often, if the impact vel. was too low, they'd just pencil through.
The cup and core bullets of his day in the smaller calibres were not very reliable penetrators. He liked an exit wound.
His greatest rival, Jack O'Connor, liked the 130gr. Silvertip .270's, but then his average on Canadian moose in B.C. was 3.8 per moose killed. Ridiculous and too soft a bullet for those, but then, maybe he was just a lousy shot?
My buddy's wife does well on deer, moose and elk with her .243, she's a hell of a good shot. Her Kudu was close, at about 100yards - .270 with 130 TTSX - DRT.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6214

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com