Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Big bores sights, open, scopes or other?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Big bores sights, open, scopes or other? [Re: Rule303]
      #379372 - 14/09/23 10:32 PM

Quote:

I was referencing this "I'd add here to that high magnification in a variable provides insurance against striking intervening vegetation that might not be seen with irons or with a low power scope."

To clarify:

That statement I made is obviously true as no one has variable power eyes. Right up close no one needs variable power eyes. Recommending as I did irons for close shooting as I did I thought all that was obvious.

John's other point tho is a really good one, which is the degrading of eyesight as we age which may modify all of that. An aging population of shooters has helped drive the increase in popularity of unit power optics in the fastest shooting sports and real life situations existing...pistol shooting in competition and for self defense and law enforcement where one is routinely faced with multiple targets up very close and demanding accurate, very fast placement of repeat shots. That is obviously not on topic for this thread but related, in that some are finding similar optics to be very useful for dangerous game shooting.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Big bores sights, open, scopes or other? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #379381 - 15/09/23 07:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I was referencing this "I'd add here to that high magnification in a variable provides insurance against striking intervening vegetation that might not be seen with irons or with a low power scope."

To clarify:

That statement I made is obviously true as no one has variable power eyes. Right up close no one needs variable power eyes. Recommending as I did irons for close shooting as I did I thought all that was obvious.

John's other point tho is a really good one, which is the degrading of eyesight as we age which may modify all of that. An aging population of shooters has helped drive the increase in popularity of unit power optics in the fastest shooting sports and real life situations existing...pistol shooting in competition and for self defense and law enforcement where one is routinely faced with multiple targets up very close and demanding accurate, very fast placement of repeat shots. That is obviously not on topic for this thread but related, in that some are finding similar optics to be very useful for dangerous game shooting.

I have to scratch my head as you seem to now be saying something different. In your quote above you appear to be saying higher magnification is good in all situations including up close so you can see any intervening shrubbery. Well that was my take on it, obviously I was wrong.

As a few of us have mentioned open sights with degrading eyesight just does not work well. This is why I have Aimpoints and low magnification variables on my larger, for me, calibres.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Big bores sights, open, scopes or other? [Re: Rule303]
      #379382 - 15/09/23 07:46 AM

Quote:

I have to scratch my head as you seem to now be saying something different. In your quote above you appear to be saying higher magnification is good in all situations including up close so you can see any intervening shrubbery. Well that was my take on it, obviously I was wrong.

As a few of us have mentioned open sights with degrading eyesight just does not work well. This is why I have Aimpoints and low magnification variables on my larger, for me, calibres.

I'm still not sure how you took it that way but I'll bow to a jury trial of my peers if my verbiage is in violation.

If it is, it sure wouldn't be the first time.

As an aside...I shoot a lot of varmints (ground squirrels for coyote bait). I handload for 12 bore and shoot a lot w/ that in thick brush where I've had issues with .223 bullets breaking up before they hit the critter. These are close shots. I carry a small pair of 8x Zeiss binocs w/ me as often the squirrels can't be seen with the naked eye as I'm stalking thru growing plantations. I glass the area, locate a rat and then resume with the shotgun. In this case a scope on the shotgun would be handy. TOTAL off topic drift, but FWIW...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Big bores sights, open, scopes or other? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #379385 - 16/09/23 07:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If it is, it sure wouldn't be the first time.

You and me both.

Edited by Rule303 (16/09/23 07:31 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 58 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2846

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com