Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: CERTUS .450/.400 3 1/4

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
CERTUS .450/.400 3 1/4
      #352305 - 12/04/21 02:41 AM

Cogswell & Harrison CERTUS in .450/.400 3 1/4" NE
A relatively rare "blast from the past" and certainly an unusual design.......quintessentially British.

Right now this old girl is with Steve Bertram www.bertramandco.com getting a little mild restoration facelift.
Nothing too major; repair the boltface that has been damaged by pierced/leaky primers, pick up the mostly polished out barrel address and serial number on the trigger guard, fill some minor pitting on the action ring.

Word back from Cogswell & Harrison is that this one was finished in March 1903 and made for "P. Orr & Sons - Madras & Rangoon".
The 26" barrel measures .410" in the grooves and is in near excellent condition. It is stamped with 60 Grain Cordite proof tho typical CERTUS specific ammo was a 56 grain loading. (tropical load?)
The magazine on this one is the flush with the wood 3 down option.
This particular example is fitted with a spring loaded "bush safety" ahead of the bolt handle, evidently meant to keep the bolt handle from being pulled up out of battery while stalking. It does require some dexterity to depress the "bush safety" while initially lifting the bolt for the 2nd (or 3rd) shot.

Range report at such time as Steve gets her back to me.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: CERTUS .450/.400 3 1/4 [Re: 3DogMike]
      #352317 - 12/04/21 06:56 AM

3DM,
Ash here actually has one of these - haven't seen him around for a while though!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: CERTUS .450/.400 3 1/4 [Re: 93x64mm]
      #352335 - 12/04/21 04:02 PM

I imagine these were the "poor man" civil servants or farmers Nitro Express rifle of the day. Thise who could not afford a double rifle or a fancy single shot break open rifle.

No doubt could still do the job.

Others probably used standard medium sized rifles, especially ex-mil rifles to do the same thing.

I wonder how common they were back then.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

3DogMike
.400 member

Re: CERTUS .450/.400 3 1/4 [Re: NitroX]
      #352354 - 13/04/21 12:04 AM

Quote:

I imagine these were the "poor man" civil servants or farmers Nitro Express rifle of the day. Thise who could not afford a double rifle or a fancy single shot break open rifle.

Others probably used standard medium sized rifles, especially ex-mil rifles to do the same thing.

I would guess that the CERTUS .400 & .450 calibre Big Game Rifles were fairly rare as these were apparently only produced for 5 or 6 years (I have read 1900-1906).
Most commonly found chambered in .450/.400 3 1/4 as well as a much lesser known number of .450 3 1/4 NE. . It would be interesting to be able to research the Cogswell & Harrison records.
The rarity of the .450NE version is likely explained by the period .450 caliber restriction/ban in India & Sudan, India said to have been the principal British large game sporting market at that time.

I have a reprint of the Cogswell & Harrison 1903 catalog and will have to look up and compare prices, the CERTUS was certainly a fraction of the cost of a double rifle.

As to double rifle -vs- single shot -vs- bolt action repeater; cost being one factor, I suppose there could have been those fellows that simply were more inclined towards a bolt action repeater due military training or whatever.
Remember too that approximately that era Rigby had just contracted the exclusive rights to the magnum Mauser 98, so the CERTUS (as different as it was) would have been one of the only bolt action options in a big game calibre.

EDIT: I'm guessing that the .400 in that era would be nearly perfect as a Lion or tiger rifle...

- Mike

ADDED:
Looks like a CERTUS was approximately 1/3 the price of the same calibre C&H double rifle

SPITTLE

--------------------

- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #352375 - 13/04/21 01:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I would guess that the CERTUS .400 & .450 calibre Big Game Rifles were fairly rare as these were apparently only produced for 5 or 6 years (I have read 1900-1906).
Most commonly found chambered in .450/.400 3 1/4 as well as a much lesser known number of .450 3 1/4 NE. . It would be interesting to be able to research the Cogswell & Harrison records.
The rarity of the .450NE version is likely explained by the period .450 caliber restriction/ban in India & Sudan, India said to have been the principal British large game sporting market at that time.

I have a reprint of the Cogswell & Harrison 1903 catalog and will have to look up and compare prices, the CERTUS was certainly a fraction of the cost of a double rifle.

As to double rifle -vs- single shot -vs- bolt action repeater; cost being one factor, I suppose there could have been those fellows that simply were more inclined towards a bolt action repeater due military training or whatever.
Remember too that approximately that era Rigby had just contracted the exclusive rights to the magnum Mauser 98, so the CERTUS (as different as it was) would have been one of the only bolt action options in a big game calibre.

EDIT: I'm guessing that the .400 in that era would be nearly perfect as a Lion or tiger rifle...

- Mike

ADDED:
Looks like a CERTUS was approximately 1/3 the price of the same calibre C&H double rifle

SPITTLE

Was the action specifically designed to shoot long, rimmed NE calibers? What does the action and magazine look like w/ the bolt open?

I have only ever seen one of these pictured in a book years ago and thought..."That is the ugliest Mossberg-shotgun lookinest thing ever!...I want one!"

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

3DogMike
.400 member

Re: CERTUS .450/.400 3 1/4 [Re: 9.3x57]
      #352394 - 14/04/21 12:06 AM

x57
You are right, CERTUS "a face only a mother could love"....not simply UGLY they are FUGLY.....but in a weird attractive British way. (but not as bad as a Blaser )
OK, here you go.
The magazine is pretty similar to a '95 Winchester with rimmed cartridges, and you can see that the whole upper receiver slides back as if it were a giant semi auto pistol. The actual bolt/locking lugs just ride in the front part of the sliding upper receiver.
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

9.3x57
.450 member

#352400 - 14/04/21 06:08 AM

Wow.

Thanks for those pix. Very interesting gun. Hints of the Mauser 66!!

One of the more interesting oddities in the gun world. Really neat old rifle.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#352419 - 14/04/21 02:59 PM

I thought Ash had said they were single shots? What is the managazine capacity? Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

#352426 - 14/04/21 10:53 PM

Quote:

I thought Ash had said they were single shots? What is the managazine capacity? Thanks.

The mag looks like a Mossberg bolt action shotgun mag!

--------------------

3DogMike
.400 member

#352429 - 14/04/21 11:47 PM

Quote:

John,
The CERTUS’ “big game” rifles in the Nitro Express calibres are magazine rifles.
There were options as to magazine capacity as I have seen one on a video with a blind mag that held 2 down. Mine has a flush floorplate mag (seen in pictures) that is claimed to hold 3 down but I have not had it in my hands to confirm this yet. I also have seen catalog drawings and photos of a removable “drop mag” option that hangs maybe 5/8” below the stock and that one seems more likely to be the 3 down version.

EDITED: Somewhere, maybe in old references, I have seen mention of early CERTUS rifles that were single shots.
My C&H catalog mentions that in about 1899-1900 they did a redesign/upgrade to the CERTUS, thus perhaps to accommodate the Cordite Express cartridges and magazine?

Interesting articles on the CERTUS here:
https://www.countryclubuk.com/ci/ci76_rifles.pdf
and here:
https://revivaler.com/cogswell-harrison-certus-big-game-rifle/
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

9.3x57
.450 member

#352431 - 14/04/21 11:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

John,
The CERTUS’ “big game” rifles in the Nitro Express calibres are magazine rifles.
There were options as to magazine capacity as I have seen one on a video with a blind mag that held 2 down. Mine has a flush floorplate mag (seen in pictures) that holds 3 down. I also have seen catalog drawings and photos of a removable “drop mag” option that hangs maybe 5/8” below the stock.
Somewhere, maybe in old references, I have seen mention of early CERTUS rifles in smaller calibres that were single shots.
- Mike

Here are a couple pix from a book. One supposedly a SS and the other a mag rifle. {1977 dated, so the $$ might just be a wee bit off... }

--------------------

3DogMike
.400 member

#352439 - 15/04/21 04:19 AM

Found Ash's CERTUS thread from 2014
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=246676&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

From the 1903 catalog, smokeless cartridge list offered for the "New Model" CERTUS:
.256 Mannlicher (6.5x53R)
.303 British
.375 2 1/2"
.450/.400 3 1/4"
.450 3 1/4"
& .450 #2 Nitro (only in single shot)

There was a "Rook, Rabbit, and Gallery" model offered in .220, .250, and .295

I have never heard of a surviving example of a CERTUS in .256 or .375 and only have seen an auction advert for one CERTUS in .303.
It would seem likely that, unless a huge Cogswell & Harrison fan, a sportsman would pick a less "clunky' rifle and select a Mannlicher or Lee Speed for a small bore. The predominant calibre amongst the few known CERTUS rifles today is .450/.400 3 1/4" Nitro.

- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

9.3x57
.450 member

#352453 - 15/04/21 08:10 AM

Those NE caliber Certus's look custom made for the man with 1 1/2 meter long arms!!!

{This is a great thread!}

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

#352470 - 18/04/21 07:43 AM

Quote:

Cogswell & Harrison CERTUS in .450/.400 3 1/4" NE
A relatively rare "blast from the past" and certainly an unusual design.......quintessentially British.

Right now this old girl is with Steve Bertram www.bertramandco.com getting a little mild restoration facelift.
Nothing too major; repair the boltface that has been damaged by pierced/leaky primers, pick up the mostly polished out barrel address and serial number on the trigger guard, fill some minor pitting on the action ring.

Word back from Cogswell & Harrison is that this one was finished in March 1903 and made for "P. Orr & Sons - Madras & Rangoon".
The 26" barrel measures .410" in the grooves and is in near excellent condition. It is stamped with 60 Grain Cordite proof tho typical CERTUS specific ammo was a 56 grain loading. (tropical load?)
The magazine on this one is the flush with the wood 3 down option.
This particular example is fitted with a spring loaded "bush safety" ahead of the bolt handle, evidently meant to keep the bolt handle from being pulled up out of battery while stalking. It does require some dexterity to depress the "bush safety" while initially lifting the bolt for the 2nd (or 3rd) shot.

Range report at such time as Steve gets her back to me.
- Mike

Lets hope the range report goes well for you Mike - Are you going to try just the "tropical' load or see where she shoots to the sights (full 60gn cordite load)?

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
      #352473 - 18/04/21 08:16 AM

I wonder if the Mauser 66 was copied from or influenced by the Certus

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #352617 - 23/04/21 01:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

John,
There were options as to magazine capacity as I have seen one on a video with a blind mag that held 2 down. Mine has a flush floorplate mag (seen in pictures) that holds 3 down. I also have seen catalog drawings and photos of a removable “drop mag” option that hangs maybe 5/8” below the stock.
Somewhere, maybe in old references, I have seen mention of early CERTUS rifles in smaller calibres that were single shots.
- Mike

Here are a couple pix from a book. One supposedly a SS and the other a mag rifle. {1977 dated, so the $$ might just be a wee bit off... }

where is the bolt for the 450NE rifle or is it a lefty?

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: CERTUS .450/.400 3 1/4 [Re: lancaster]
      #352620 - 24/04/21 03:19 AM

I don't think the bottom rifle is a .450 to start with. Note the short action compared to the .303.
The gun pictures might be reversed though. I see no bolt, but a curios flat piece of steel emanating from there the bolt should start.
Also, I would suggest the picture reversal is correct, due to the "weight" of the top rifle's stock and lack of pistol grip & slimness of the grip on the lower one.
Also, the lower rifle has a ladder sight which might better fit a .303 than a standing blade and leaf-sight system the upper rifle has.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: CERTUS .450/.400 3 1/4 [Re: DarylS]
      #352627 - 24/04/21 05:38 AM

That's a good observation. My money is they botched the lower rifle. Top gun looks to have a short ".303 compatible" magazine. I wonder if the single shot Certus's had a different system? I just did a web search and came up with nothing.

--------------------

3DogMike
.400 member

#352629 - 24/04/21 05:55 AM

The early CERTUS history is a real enigma. Seems to have been introduced in 1890 and then certainly updated to the "New Model" that was patented in 1900.
My (un)educated guess is that the "New Model" was designed to handle the Cordite cartridges that would not have been around in 1890 and the only CERTUS documentation that I find is of the post 1900 "New Model".

As to those pictures, the top one is almost certainly the "New Model" with the safety lever, long receiver slide, pistol grip stock, and barely visible "bush safety" ahead of the bolt handle.
The bottom picture? Most likely one of the original 1890's versions and maybe a single shot? The military style ladder sight and 33" barrel with Metford rifling are interesting.
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

9.3x57
.450 member

#352630 - 24/04/21 07:41 AM

I just looked on the other side of the page to see if I could find a bolt handle but no go. We are stuck w/ the one pic...

--------------------

3DogMike
.400 member

#352750 - 27/04/21 10:29 AM

No immediate updates, the “sympathetic restoration” by Steve Bertram http://www.bertramandco.com/ of the CERTUS proceeds apace.....
Polish out, and/or micro weld up, then polish minor pitting on receiver ring, polish then pick up barrel engraving, minor polish and pick up serial number engraving on the trigger guard.
Then reblue (period rust reblue) the polished bits.
Dies, brass, bullets are in hand and ready.
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #352777 - 28/04/21 03:37 AM

Too- the top rifle has a standard 1-piece stock, while the much lighter built bottom rifle has a standing block and 2-piece stock.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

3DogMike
.400 member

Re: CERTUS .450/.400 3 1/4 [Re: DarylS]
      #355827 - 08/08/21 07:57 AM

I finally have the CERTUS in hand; Steve Bertram did his usual quality job of refreshing the metal. Pick up some of the engraving, fill bigger pits on action ring, polish, and rust blue.
The stock finish and checkering did not need any attention.

Interesting to finally get to play with it, one thing that struck me right away is that specific rifle is a no kidding "two shooter". The "flush" magazine allows only 2 down and does NOT facilitate closing on those 2 while putting one "up the pipe".
There was a "drop magazine" option that would allow 3 down.

Now to get some ammo loaded up….will be adhering to the equivalent of the period Kynoch .450/.400 "Certus" loading of 56 grains Cordite and 400 grain bullet.
66 grains Reloader 15 (56 x 1.19 = 66) and a 400 Woodleigh will be the target.

Pictures in a couple of days.

- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

3DogMike
.400 member

#356030 - 14/08/21 06:13 AM

Update:
The period 56 grain Cordite “CERTUS” load (equivalent to .450/.400 3 1/4” tropical load) replicated with 66 grains of Reloader-15 and a 400 grain Woodleigh chronographs at average ~1920’/sec out of this rifle.
Pressure signs are normal.
I’m sure it worked just fine on the Tigers, Buffalo, etc. in India and Burma.
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

9.3x57
.450 member

#356032 - 14/08/21 06:46 AM

Quote:

Update:
The period 56 grain Cordite “CERTUS” load (equivalent to .450/.400 3 1/4” tropical load) replicated with 66 grains of Reloader-15 and a 400 grain Woodleigh chronographs at average ~1920’/sec out of this rifle.
- Mike

Awesome!

Waiting on pix.

Along with the buff laying next to it!

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

#356033 - 14/08/21 07:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Update:
- Mike

Awesome!

Waiting on pix.

Along with the buff laying next to it!

Great to hear Mike that your reloading went as expected.
I'm with x57, love to see what she'll do next!

3DogMike
.400 member

#356036 - 14/08/21 07:52 AM

Won't be any Buff on my watch…..maybe a local Black Bear if I'm lucky this year.

Updated pictures after it's restoration:

The barrel address lines were nearly completely polished smooth,
now restored to as new. 8 1/4" end to end…..

restored fairly abused rear sight leaves

London Proof for 60 grains Cordite, standard load was 56 grains in tropics.

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

9.3x57
.450 member

#356040 - 14/08/21 08:15 AM

Quote:

Won't be any Buff on my watch…..maybe a local Black Bear if I'm lucky this year.

Updated pictures after it's restoration:

The barrel address lines were nearly completely polished smooth,
now restored to as new. 8 1/4" end to end…..

restored fairly abused rear sight leaves

London Proof for 60 grains Cordite, standard load was 56 grains in tropics.

Ah, that's a head turner now!

Very nice.

What a neat project and all the best to you and less so for the bear!!

--------------------

3DogMike
.400 member

#356042 - 14/08/21 08:24 AM

x57
Thanks for the compliment.
This rifle really is a rare and special bit of work. I laugh, a buddy said to me: "It looks like it's father was a Brit steam shovel and it's mother an auto shop floor jack"……no argument from me that it is quite eclectic looking
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#356062 - 14/08/21 07:50 PM

Its now looking very nice. Well done.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #356073 - 15/08/21 06:03 AM

To me that 1900 Certus repeater action looks very much like a partly misunderstood, clumsy and somewhat simplified copy of Louis Schlegelmilch’s 1896 bolt action, see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA_luQyL9K4

93x64mm
.416 member

Re: CERTUS .450/.400 3 1/4 [Re: kuduae]
      #356074 - 15/08/21 07:13 AM

Wow that's one very cool rifle there Lancaster!
It certainly has some rather unique (high end) custom features for a take down / strip procedure.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 112 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6311

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com