Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: To 577 or not?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: To 577 or not? [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #352360 - 13/04/21 03:06 AM

Lion hunt? Very special & significant $$$ I'd bet.

Let's see pictures......or it never happened.

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Re: To 577 or not? [Re: 3DogMike]
      #352367 - 13/04/21 05:43 AM

Pictures hmmm, well this is where I admit that the last computer course I passed had "Punch Cards" Ive read the posting instructions and still cant make sense of it. As for the hunt it was our honeymoon. First a week for the hunt then 3 weeks touristing and shopping.

We landed in Jo'burg and spent the night in a guest house the flew to Kimberly for the hunt. Ive been asked not to say exactly where because of the political issues; but the PH was KMG Safaris. Marius is an amazing PH and has ruied me for all other PH's. I did a plains game hunt with him in 2012 and have pretty much decided to only hunt with him.

So when we decided to do the hunt for our honeymoon, KMG was my first and only call. The first day in camp was the usual sight in and settling in. The staff knew this was our honeymoon and went out of their way to make it feel spectacular. On the morning of the hunt the whole crew was assembled. We had arranged a Videographer to film the hunt. Our crew included the property owner, his camp manager, our PH plus a friend of his as an "extra gun", the Game Officer, and tracker.

It was a constant drizzle of rain as we started; but pushed on nevertheless. The cat we were hunting had gone rogue. We drove from section to section looking for tracks and the rain worsened. Finally about 9am we took shelter in a cabin on the ranch. Thats where a lot of gun talk started, who had what and why a 45-70 meets the legal specs for DG and a 9.3x74R doesnt and so forth.

When the rain didnt look like it would stop, we decided to head back for an early meal; and of course when we were halfway back the sun came out. On route we spotted a lion. I was sure it couldnt have been "my cat" because mine was a female and the one we spotted was huge. We drove about a mile further then stopped and started the hunt.

We had spotted the cat on the right side of the trail and started in that direction. About 20+ minutes later I noticed we were angling left. I didnt say anything figuring I was in good hands and had never tracked a lion before. A few minutes more and the "Xtra Gun" who had been in the trail position, ran up to say the lion was right F-ing behind us. I had just gotten set up on the sicks when she came out of the brush headed for us. It wasnt a charge but she was definitely looking for us. I made the shot at 20 yards. She flipped and ran back into the brush. Not wanting to loose her I started forward only to be stopped by my PH. He said it was a good hit and we'd smoke a cigarette before following. The wait seemed like hours but was probably less than 10 minutes. We found her lightsout maybe 20 feet in the bush.

Thanks to a certain dentist who had to post about a lion hunt on Facebook and President Obama for outlawing the import of lions, I have a lovely lion rug waiting for me at a South Afrikkan taxidermist...and just one more reason to think more and more about moving there.

The rest of the trip was spent in Rhodesia with a trip down the Zambezi river and a day at Victoria Falls. Then back to SA for wine tours and Table Mountain and of course gem shopping and yes, looking at the real estate options. Thats when I fell in love with Cape Town.

Oh and as for my rifle it was a 470 Merkel Double loaded with a solid and soft point but only one was required

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

3DogMike
.400 member

#352368 - 13/04/21 07:31 AM

Quote:

".......Pictures hmmm, well this is where I admit that the last computer course I passed had "Punch Cards" Ive read the posting instructions and still cant make sense of it......"

Oh and as for my rifle it was a 470 Merkel Double loaded with a solid and soft point but only one was required

Ah, yes of course........it for sure is problematic for some guys getting the photo process to work.

Quote:

Ive been asked not to say exactly where because of the political issues;

ie: an illegal hunt or concession? Maybe a hunt with 007? Maybe...?

Gee, I'd bet the pictures of your Lion as well as the .470 would interest quite a few of the members. Not just anyone gets to hunt a Lion.
You sound very lucky....a “fair chase?” lion hunt and bagged a “rogue” cat on the afternoon of the 1st day? What amazing luck.

I'll bet you could easily arrange to email the pictures to John or almost anyone here and they would be happy to post them for you.

- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

3DogMike
.400 member

#352369 - 13/04/21 10:47 AM

Back to topic:
A no shit .577 3" Nitro 1902 Webley action by W&C Scott next to my Cogswell & Harrison .500/.450 #1 Express. The .577 is 11lb 6oz and 28'"barrel. The equivalent 90 grains Cordite and 650 grain bullet is enough fun for me.
What is the quote? ....."The .577NE, a loss of snot and enamel on both ends"......
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #352380 - 13/04/21 04:48 PM

Quote:

I havent even finished reading your post and I feel the need to interrupt. Yes of course its my hunt and my kill BUT you missed my point entirely. I never said I planned for otheres to shoot. What I said was that the realities of a hunt (especially a Dangerous Game hunt) was that you will have a PH and a Game Officer present and armed.

Well you should actually read the post before interrupting .... you might learn something. Like not all of us use PHs ....

I couldn't give a ffff who also has a rifle on my hunts, as I am the one hunting. And I plan to try to do it properly myself. I would hunt Africa without a PH if it was legal. Lots of Aussies have and used to even recently. Buying a few weeks in a concession and hunting with a local farmer who supplied camp gear and some staff etc. Some local guys I knew one of two of, did it, including my chiropractor when he was still practising. They are now too long in the tooth I think. I would have jumped at the chance to do it as well. The locals concession in Zim probably has suffered in terms of game, if locals in Zim can still bid on it as well. Some disreputable outfitters especially South Africans started bidding on it as well to sell to clients illegally.

So if you are happy planning to let your PH shoot for you go for a single shot instead of a double. Especially when the SHTF.

As for PHs doing your shooting for you? Well a true story about another lion hunt in Zimbabwe. A mate, a member here on NE hunted lion. He shot the lion, it ran off into the thick bush. The PH REFUSED to follow it up and went and sat in the bakkie, so my mate went in alone with his old model Blaser .375. And yes collected his lion with his bolt action.

I would hate to have a bloody single shot at such a time. Really a good PH should probably tell the client to go and sit in the bakkie himself on a wounded DG follow up ...

Don't speak for others, speak for yourself if happy for the PH, trackers, game scout with his AK47 to do your shooting for you.

I am happy to try my luck using a single shot .577 LNE. And practice to reload it quickly and competently under pressure. And would give it a try on cull elephant, cape buffalo, scrub bulls, water buffalo etc and when possible hunt solo or with mates. I would strongly PREFER A DOUBLE, but beggars can be choosers ...

[quote[On my last Lion Hunt

My email is Nitro AT NitroExpress dot com for the photos. Thanks. Would be interesting photos.

Quote:

Here in the states our DG (?) is limited to Brown Bear, some might add Black Bear or even Wild Boar. Of the three I havent been close to a Brown and I killed my Black Bears with a single shot BUT the boars have occasionally taken exception with bad hits/poor ammo selection. The charge was exciting and the reload too. Frankly THATS part of why I enjoy the hunt.

Double have lots and lots of uses and all sorts of hunting, except usually long range shooting and mountain hunting. Many are accuate enough for long range shots. But they are designed for close work in thick bush and running shots. I have used my doubles also on donkeys, horses, numerous pigs, an odd deer. Some other wuldlife as well.

Quote:

I do like doubles they are a passion of mine but I also like "classic" single guns and doubles too.

Good to hear, you're in the right place then. '_

Quote:

Today a Double Rifle is like a Rolex. Both great items of quality and class but neither a requirement for a hunt or to tell time.

Incorrect. But your opinion so what works for you.

Others don't like to rely on a PH to finish off a hunt. And if hunting solo, prefer to have a lesser risk of getting stomped in the bush with help 100 kms away if not further.

But yes, my "incorrect" was tongue in cheek, a bolt action can also do the job quite well and a double is not necessary. Even though the best choice for a DG close follow up. A bolt action is also far better than a single shot. The single shot is what is not needed these days and a lesser choice. But I would like a .577 and a customised single shot may be an option, so that's it.

Your opening post is asking about a Martini Henry .577, I say, go for it. I also have strong intentions to do it myself, seeing the older thread and Marrakai's post that it is possible. I can't see it being an expensive option. A suitable rifle isn't too pricey. A new barrel, how easy or expensive? Whatever else is needed? Restock it one day.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (13/04/21 05:03 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: To 577 or not? [Re: NitroX]
      #352381 - 13/04/21 04:59 PM

Quote:

Well a true story about another lion hunt in Zimbabwe. A mate, a member here on NE hunted lion. He shot the lion, it ran off into the thick bush. The PH REFUSED to follow it up and went and sat in the bakkie, so my mate went in alone with his old model Blaser .375. And yes collected his lion with his bolt action.

I would hate to have a bloody single shot at such a time.

Actually my friend, he was a member of these forums, I haven';t spoken to him for years! Must do so. He said he fired over twenty shots at anything that moved ... so a single shot would have result in wrist RSI I think reloading so often. But did end up shooting his wounded lion.

The black PH meanwhile sat in the bakkie too frightened to do his job .... not a good story for the reputation of modern black African PHs though I assume most would be better than this.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#352382 - 13/04/21 05:04 PM

Quote:

Back to topic:
A no shit .577 3" Nitro 1902 Webley action by W&C Scott next to my Cogswell & Harrison .500/.450 #1 Express. The .577 is 11lb 6oz and 28'"barrel. The equivalent 90 grains Cordite and 650 grain bullet is enough fun for me.
What is the quote? ....."The .577NE, a loss of snot and enamel on both ends"......
- Mike

Those are nice and so classic.

Thanks also for emailing me the images, I found them in the inbox today.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

.375 member

Reged: 15/02/11
Loc: NT Australia
      #352383 - 13/04/21 05:07 PM

The Fat lady last year nice bull........... Greener Empire conversion I like the 577
650 RNSP 60m on the trot.

favourite pic

Loading for 577 2 3/4 650 RNSP and 650 solids

650 RNSP from boar length ways

cow

recovered pills

Edited by 264 (13/04/21 05:16 PM)

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: To 577 or not? [Re: 264]
      #352390 - 13/04/21 09:46 PM

Nitrox, Im getting the feeling that things are becoming stressed between us, so Id like us to take a breath. I certainly mean you no disrespect and I can acknowledge that your opinions are yours. Maybe its possible to go alone in the woods of Australia after dangerous game, IDK. Im not even sure what is considered DG there. Here in the US, we can hunt Black Bear and Wild Boar without a guide. Frankly Im not sure about Brown Bears, although I suspect its possible to hunt them without a guide at least in some circumstances. I may be wrong; but Ive been lead to believe that it is NOT possible in South Afrika.

YES my hunt is my hunt. No I dont want anyone else shooting my animal EXECPT in the most gravest extremes BUT that facts are the facts as to who must be present; and what their roles are for the hunt. In MY case one sot was enough. Has that always been true, as in the case of the charging Boar obviously no; but in that case a reload was successfully made.

Will I hunt alone with the Martini 577 thats being built, probably as least after getting to know her well enough to feel confident. Will it be my ONLY gun I take into the field--well NO.

Hunting with a single shot has a long history back to the days of muzzleloaders. Were there tragedies im sure there must have been but they didnt stop hunting. As DRs became available they were used but did not replace single shots

--------------------

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #352410 - 14/04/21 11:17 AM

Nice collection of well-spent Woodleighs there Mick, especially the .577s.
Got a few like that myself with chips of bone embedded in the perfect button-mushroom.

Terminal ballistics is a very rewarding field of study!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#352415 - 14/04/21 02:13 PM

Double post removed.

Edited by NitroX (14/04/21 02:58 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#352416 - 14/04/21 02:14 PM

Mick putting the .577 LNE to great use. Love the pics.

Marrakai, do you regret selling it?

The only thing wrong with the Greener Empire conversion is it does not have external hammers! A .577 LNE is a double rifle and vintage screaming out for external hammers.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#352418 - 14/04/21 02:55 PM

Edelweiss. I was stirrung a bit with my choice of words and was intending to stop. BUT I DO get annoyed by the ide of the great grand PH doing stuff for the client. I have had a PH saying, "You do not need that knife, that bonoculars ... etc" " all you need is a rifle". I felt like replying to this immature arrogant prick "Why don't I just sit in camp and let you do the shooting as well?"

The facts are:

Yes we might not know how to judge trophy quality as quickly, not being familar with the country;
Yes we certainly don't know the country, it being new terrirotry to us;
Yes we probably don't speak more than a few words of the local black laguages - I like to disturb the rude PH with a question about what they were talking about in eg Sindebele "How big was the leopard?" - when they were talking about a chui in Sindebele. He wondered what rude things they had also been talking about. ;

BUT many of us here on NE in particular have probably shot our big bores easily more than the average PH. Big bores are expensive to shoot. A reason these guys often have leftover ammo of various makes in their belts;

AND some of us, have shot a LOT MORE dangerous game than many PHs. Sp,e guys here have shot hundreds of buffalo. Some guys here have shot a fair number of elephant.

Would I hunt cape buffalo without a PH, No problem with that at all.

Would I hunt llion and leopard without a PH. Absolutely. Rhino the same.

Would I hunt elephant without a PH. Yes.

Would I get killed? Possibly.

Lots of newchums did it before it became a industry of hughly paid hand holding. Most of the big name hunters were newchums and ignorant and did stipid things when they statred out. Maybe those we never heard about, either couldn't write, or ended up mincemeat or cat chow.

I understand why govts want to wrap safari hunters in cotton wool. And also want to make a lot of money our of each client. Aussies used to also do DIY plains game hunts, buying game at whoelsale prices from farmers, hiring a 'truck' and selling the venison to reduce the costs. Hiring a worker or two to help. Hunting solo. So much better.

I like some PHs, they are good company. If they aren't too arrogant. Yep they also do a lot of work. Hells bells, they and their staff do the butchering, skinning, hide prep, all the supplies, driving, most of the tracking being far far better than us, carrying etc.

BUT I can do the shooting.

I am not that arrogant and yes if necessary they can help shooting if it needs to be and also to save lives. I think they assess the client during the "sight in". Is the client familiar with his rifle? Is the client doing a Ruark and never shot the rifle before? How does th client hand the rifle? Is he used to it? The trackers absolutely assess the client and if they know how to shoot.

On my first safari I had some problems with my bullets and they were a "bad batch". The front end was exploding shallow wounds and the rear acted as a FMJ, drilling small holes through. Unbelievably 180 gr Nsoler Partitions. By chance I had some other heavier versions of the same bullet, 200 grs semi pointed. Judea the tracker said to the PH, "That is a much better rifle." He replied "No different bullets." I also had been subconciously trying to save meat damage and shooting behind the shoulder through the lungs. FFFF that through the shoulder, break bone, damage heart and lungs as well, forget about the meat, it is not going in my freezer but I am paying for it anyway.

Way off topic!

I would love a M-H .577 LNE. No problem using it on water buff. Solo, with mates, with a PH, whatever. Just would practice reloading it fast and during BGRC matches. Become familiar with it. No useless bloody bench shooting with hunting rifles other than sighting in and load development.

Afrca? Possibly. But one can only take one or at least two firearms and they are expensive and rare hunts, so probably would choose a reliable "old stand by".

And again a double in .577 is 10 times the rifle a single shot is.

Edelweiss, ha ha, I was using storring language a bit, but yes I also believe strongly and passionately. I am glad you are a man, and can talk like a man. (ie some members get upset and sulk off. A man can have a non isulting heated debate and then shrug it off and shake hands, and have a beer together.

Waiting to see your mM-H .577, probably before ne. Good topic. Opened my eyes to possibilities.

I have photos of double rifles in .577. I really would have liked one of those. I will post those images on the .577 vs .600 thread.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#352424 - 14/04/21 09:14 PM

Nitrox, no problem brother. I dont mind the debate as long as we can go have a beer when its over call each other a asshole then have another beer Cuz thats what men are supposed to do.

My experience is limited and maybe I was lucky with my PH. So I dont have your horrors to frame my experiences.

Best

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 139 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5980

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com