Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mike378 vs Mike 375

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Mike378 vs Mike 375 [Re: Mike_McGuire]
      #34344 - 05/07/05 11:33 AM

In reply to:

If the forums are representative then Australians tend to hold both Wby and Rem 700 in much higher regard than appears to be the case in America. ...

As a side note the biggest selling rifle in Australia is the Wby Vanguard. I can guarantee you that in 99% of cases when shooters discuss which rifle to buy either among themselves or a forum like Ausralian Hunting Net, then CRF would hardly be mentioned except in the light of single loading.

Mike

An earlier comment you made above.

I think people buy the Rem 700 and the Wby Vanguard becauuse relatively they are cheap. Our rifles at the lower end cost more here than in the USA. Witness a $500 rifle in the USA costing A$1500 here.

If I ever bought a Weatherby chambered rifle, I would probably go for the .300 Wby. The original. Or a .240 Wby Mag in a single shot with a long barrel.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike_McGuire
.333 member

Reged: 11/06/05
Loc: Sydney Australia
Re: Mike378 vs Mike 375 [Re: NitroX]
      #34346 - 05/07/05 12:02 PM

John,

The Wby Vanguard is definitely price based and also Nioa are effective with the gun shops. But a Rem 700 here would be closer in price to a Sako (as a percentage) than in the US and because we have import costs associated with both rifles.

As a side note the 300 Wby is not the original as most people think. The 270 Wby was the first although the 220 Wby Rocket might have been first but never made it to factory status.

The 300 Wby is the biggest seller but contrary to popular opinion the 257 is not the number 2 seller, the number 2 is the 270 Wby. However, in custom shop wood guns I have been told the 460 is number 2 after the 300.

There is only one part of Weatherby where the 300 is not the number one seller and that is Accumarks that come from the Custom Shop and the 30/378 leads there.

As strange as it might seem there is one area where Wby runs parallel with Mauser type guns. With custom shop wood guns it is all 378, 416, 460 and 300 Wby. The 30/378 (and 338/378) is dead in the wood custom guns at Wby and the chap that runs the custom shop was telling me that one of the reasons for this is that with high cost wood custom guns people tend to go very practical when it comes to small bores which he basically defined as 338 bore and down.

You do see a similar thing thing with the expensive Mauser based custom rifles in that you have plenty in 500 Jeffery, 505 Gibbs and even wildcats like 585 Nyati. I think you would agree that none of those 3 calibres would be chosen on the basis of practicality But when you get to the smaller bores the calibres in the expensive custom Mauser and M70 based rifles tend to be very standard calibres.

Mike

bwanabloke
.224 member

Reged: 24/03/05
      #34355 - 05/07/05 04:35 PM

Mike 378,How much does a Weatherby safari [in walnut ]cost in Australia approx .I would like to get one in 340.

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

Re: Mike378 vs Mike 375 [Re: bwanabloke]
      #34356 - 05/07/05 05:38 PM

Be about $9000 with Horsely Park Gun Shop. But it could be cheaper as sometimes Wby has specials where they have obviously made too many of a given calibre. The 375 illustrated below is an example as it is discounted quite a bit with Hendershots who are big Wby dealers in the US. A calibre like 375 H&H will have limited appeal in a Wby rifle. You could be lucky with a 340 as those Safaris will be virtually all 300, 378, 416 and 460.

They only come in French Walnut and any alterations or upgrades greatly increase the waiting period and obviously the cost.

They are a slightly different stock shape to the normal Mark V Deluxe in the comb is slightly lower to allow easy use of the open sights.

This one is a 375 H&H

http://www.hendershots.net/images/gunroom/w375.jpg

http://www.hendershots.net/images/gunroom/w375-5.jpg

http://www.hendershots.net/images/gunroom/w375-6.jpg

bwanabloke
.224 member

Reged: 24/03/05
      #34362 - 05/07/05 08:20 PM

ughhhhhhh ! $9000.00 !!!!! ouch ! Stan Russel in Brisbane has a 378 for $2750.00 deluxe [not safari]and a 460 for $2750.00 not sure if its a safari ,has open sights ,both are, as new .378 has nice wood .thanks for the price Mike

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

Re: Mike378 vs Mike 375 [Re: bwanabloke]
      #34363 - 05/07/05 08:59 PM

The 460 sounds like a second had Deluxe that has had the Williams site added.

If you are interested in the rifle check if it is earlier model with the Pendleton Dekicker as compared to the removable Accubrake which is a KDF type muzzle brake.

The Pendleton is integral with the barrel and not very effective at all. The Pendleton is easy recognised as apart from being part of the barrel it is full of tiny little holes and expansion chamber. The two problems with the old Pendleton models is that you can work up some nice reduced loads with the 460 where a brake is not needed but because the Pendletin is integral you can't unscrew it and you still need to wear ear muffs even though the loaded is quite reduced. For full power loads the removable Accubrake is far more effective.

The Safari is a Custom Shop rifle and they are made much better than a Deluxe. They are like an entry level Custom Shop Wby. The higher levels have the top wood, skeleton grip cap etc and a different barrel.

But the shiny Wbys with inlays when taken above the standard Crown Custom or Royal Custom are quite a bit dearer than the Safari taken to the top level. A 378 would be around $14000 and a 460 about $15000 plus.

But it is all relative as that sort of money would only buy a few clothing bits and pieces and H&&H or Purdey

Mike

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5765

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com