Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Jeff Cooper on the ideal bolt action

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Jeff Cooper on the ideal bolt action [Re: xausa]
      #328724 - 23/05/19 11:29 AM

Wow! Some of those requirements are the equivalent of fairy dust. Instantly convertible from right to left hand and a two lug, 90deg bolt throw? I’ve had a couple of Steyr Scout rifles (still have the 376 big bore) and love the idea but this doesn’t seem practical/achievable.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Jeff Cooper on the ideal bolt action [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #328726 - 23/05/19 01:23 PM

What a bunch of old farts ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Jeff Cooper on the ideal bolt action [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #328727 - 23/05/19 01:32 PM

Quote:

A modern bolt-action should be instantly convertible from right to left-hand operation. About one customer in six is left-handed, and should not need to put in for special consideration.

What an ugly rifle that would be. Also known as a semi auto rifle.

And I don't need no sinister rifles!

Quote:

The modern bolt-action should feature a rotary box magazine with a shoulder detent to avoid masking soft-point spitzers flat while waiting their turn. (Personally, I would prefer something on the order of Savage 99, but the Mannlicher-type - if made of steel - would do as well.)

As ugly as they are, a removable box magazine is very handy. For those of us who shoot herds of beasties.

Also permits carrying extras.

Quote:

The modern bolt-action should permit direct feeding into the chamber without use of the magazine.

Absolutely.

Quote:

The modern bolt-action should feature a strong, simple, single-stage trigger, releasing without apparent motion at 50 oz or a bit less.

No,it should have a modern mauser type set trigger. Push it forward and it becomes very light.

Quote:

While I have certain reservations (along with my good friend and mentor Ian McFarlane of Okavango) about mechanical safety latches, it would be impossible to sell a rifle that did not include one. It should be operable with either hand. It should not extrude from the rifle to catch on things (as is the case with the Winchester three-position safety.) And it should disconnect the trigger and sear from the striker, while at the same time positively locking the striker. (People who count upon a safety latch to render a firearm inoperable are living in a dream world.)

The shotgun style safety is the best.

Quote:

And last but not least, the modern bolt-action should be factory-fitted with an integral ghost ring aperture sight mounted in the receiver bridge, as was the case with the old ZKK. Telescope sights are here to stay, but they do not invalidate the need for reserve iron sights, and those iron sights should be efficient, as opposed to the V-shaped arrangements now considered factory standard.

Yes.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Jeff Cooper on the ideal bolt action [Re: NitroX]
      #328781 - 24/05/19 05:56 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for sharing Mehul Kamdar.

I to, was an avid follower of Jeff Cooper.
But the older and more experienced I became, the more I realised that like so many things, money was behind particular attitudes and idea's.
Nothing wrong with that but it doesn't mean one item will fit everybody, and all situations.

Please don't think I believe I could ever fill Jeff Coopers boots but over the years, I came to a few conclusion myself.
One being, when it comes to firearms, it's the rifle or handgun that you are used to using, that so many people get proficient with. This has come from watching other people shooting any and every type of rifle/handgun, and also from my own personal experience shooting all sorts of firearms.
One of the most important things to have or be aware of, is a firearm that fits you and or your body shape and size. I could go on but I'm sure you get the picture of what I'm trying to say.

If I was asked for an ideal working/battle rifle (for close to medium range use), I would have to suggest you go with a rifle developed in the early 1940's ......... the SMLE No4, Jungle Carbine, in the mighty .303 British.
There is nothing new in this world ............

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 112 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11190

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com