Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Nate Bishop Custom 416 Rigby - Info wtd about obscure Maker

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
Nate Bishop Custom 416 Rigby - Info wtd about obscure Maker
      #276249 - 08/01/16 12:52 PM

Nate Bishop Custom 416 Rigby - Info wtd about obscure Maker.

Hello All,

Every so often an Amazing Custom Rifle comes along. This rifle was talked about on another forum about 3 or 4 years ago. I have been following it for about that long, and finally convinced it to take up permanent residence here in Wisconsin.

My mission with this posting is two-fold - First, share the details of this marvelous custom rifle and what I know of its builder, Nate Bishop. And second, find if someone has any additional information about Nate.

The unique serial number and proof mark stamping show that this rifle started its life as a Military 1935 Chilean Mauser Carbine. It was no different than any other of the thousands made for Military Service. Its exact History is unknown - just another Oberndorf Mauser that was a WWII bring-back.

It originally looked like this:

In 1987, this common Military rifle, was transformed by Nate Bishop, a Master Gunmaker from Albuquerque, NM, into a Custom Safari Rifle in 416 Rigby Cal. Nate was a self taught Master. He told others he was inspired by the famed stock-maker, Leonard Mews.

Nate Bishop built this rifle for the American Custom Gunmakers Guild Show held in March, 1987. Nate signed and marked this stock as such in he barrel channel. It is not known if he was a member of the Guild at that time, building this rifle to show his skill, or if he was attempting to be accepted into the Guild by, building this rifle to show his skill.

It is amazing that this common Military Mauser Carbine, with its standard length action, could be so specially modified to take the "Super-Long" 416 Rigby cartridge. For the most part, all rifles in 416 Rigby caliber require "Magnum" length actions. This is not a "stretched and re-welded" action. Rather, this sleek beauty is Masterfully modified with custom bottom metal to encompass the cartridge. It tips the scales at a mere 8 pounds 12 ounces.

Nate often commented that this rifle was the "Best Quality" Custom Rifle that he had ever built. It was also one of his last.

Nate wrote articles on Custom Stock Making and Custom Gun Building in Guns Magazine from 1956 - 1962. He also wrote in Gun Digest in 1961 and 1969. He worked mostly with "Big Bore" Safari rifles and 416 Rigby was his favorite caliber.

Elmer Keith had several Custom Big-Bore Rifles that were built for him, or stocked for him, by Nate Bishop. Keith's "Gun Notes" in Guns Magazine often commented as such giving Nate praise.

If you know any details about Nate Bishop, or other rifles that he has built or stocked, please jump in and let us know.

The following photos show Nate's skill - with dozens of special nuances that he incorporated into this rifle.

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Nate Bishop Custom 416 Rigby - Info wtd about obscure Maker [Re: buckstix]
      #276260 - 08/01/16 04:16 PM

butstix thanks for posting. That is an incredibly beautiful rifle. One of my favourite calibre to. I can not remember hearing of Nate before, does not mean I haven't just can't remember if I have. He certainly produced good work.

The 416 Rigby that Harry Selby used was also a standard length M98 worked so the 416 Rigby would function through it.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Nate Bishop Custom 416 Rigby - Info wtd about obscure Maker [Re: Rule303]
      #276263 - 08/01/16 07:04 PM

That would be great to own and use.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

buckstix
.400 member

Re: Nate Bishop Custom 416 Rigby - Info wtd about obscure Maker [Re: Rule303]
      #276268 - 08/01/16 09:41 PM

Hello Rule303,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I remember reading about Harry's 416 Rigby. Maybe Nate had that rifle in mind when he decided to build this one.

--------------------

Don
.275 member

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: California
Re: Nate Bishop Custom 416 Rigby - Info wtd about obscure Maker [Re: buckstix]
      #276362 - 10/01/16 06:19 PM

Did the gunsmith reheat treat the action? I was told, I could be wrong, that when the upper end English gunmakers "open up" a standard mauser action to use a cartridge which has a greater length than 3.3" they reheat treat the action. (Per General Hatcher the 98 mauser was made of a carbon steel similar to SAE 1035, heat treatable) Which is why that can use the standard mauser action on a long low pressure cartridge like the 416 Rigby. Is this true? Does any one know anything about this?

buckstix
.400 member

Re: Nate Bishop Custom 416 Rigby - Info wtd about obscure Maker [Re: Don]
      #276373 - 10/01/16 10:35 PM

Hello Don,

Thanks for the reply.

I doubt that any re-heat-treat was necessary on this action. The addition of the square bridge to the top of the rear bridge of the receiver would have no affect on the mechanical strength properties of the front bridge, where the bolt lock-up occurs.

Interestingly, a detailed examination of this rifle showed it to be totally "unfired" since its customization and conversion to 416 Rigby caliber back in 1987. Given that fact, and since I wanted to shoot the rifle, my biggest concern was the installation of the iron sites. It didn't look like they had ever been adjusted to "zero-in" the rifle. In fact, it appeared that both the front and rear sites were simply centered on the top of the barrel. They looked good, but would the work?

Well, I had a chance to test fire the rifle today. I used relatively light loads because the rifle is a bit on the light side at 8-3/4 pounds, and I didn't want to pound it, or me, un-necessarily. I just wanted to have some fun shooting it.

My concerns were for not. It seems that Nate knew what he was doing when he installed the sites as well. Here is the first shot from the rifle.

And here are the other 9 shots. I never touched the sites. I fired 2 loads, 350g and 400g. Combined they shot into 2-1/2" with each individual group measuring slightly over 2". That's about as good as my eyes will do these days, although I'll be trying to do better next time out. I think with heavier loads and resulting increased recoil, there will be a slight rise of the group putting "all" the shots surrounding the bull.

I have also obtained some updated information about Nate Bishop from one of the current American Custom Gunmakers Guild. It seems that Nate's father was the well known Company of "E.C. Bishop & Son" in Warsaw Missouri. That makes Nate the "& Son" of that famous Company.

The Company E.C. Bishop & Son originally made wooden railroad ties, and later moved into making gun stock blanks and complete stocks, of which they turned out hundreds of thousands for the U.S. Military during WWII. During WWII, Nate joined the U.S. Air Force and upon his returning 5 years later, he took over the Finishing Department at the Bishop Factory.

Then in the early 1950's, his father sold the family Company, although the name stayed the same. It was at that time that Nate turned to Custom Stock making as a full time Business and later became a member of the Custom Gunmakers Guild.

Nate once commented that it takes up to 150 hours to craft a Custom stock and that the Customer was not just buying a fancy piece of wood, rather, he was buying a piece of the Craftsman's Life.

He went on to say that he could only craft one stock per month that would meet his personal specifications.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3712

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com