Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 450 Marlin for DG

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Pottsy
.224 member

Reged: 28/05/05
Loc: Oregon Coos Bay
Re: 450 Marlin for DG [Re: mickey]
      #32372 - 30/05/05 01:27 PM

Micky ... ahh ? you have more then one double ...? well like my grand pa used to say
In reply to:

ya only need one gun

So ... part with the other ...And part with it ..--> this way if you please ..

You are very right about The bullet it have alot to do with design qualitys in the bullet ..and the jacket it has
or the shape of the soild and if the soild has a hollow out just a cup in its nose.

I can and have made ..what are called - Culling bullet's-

There not somthing you would go out and hunt with .
There 550 Grain .510 Diameter super hollow cavitys in a 0.040 jacket wall the pettles are ment to come off when it reachs a certain size ( around 75 cal ) and ripe the hell out of everything in side and it ripes a hugh hole out the other side. a can almost get a copenhagen can in the hole it make in a 6x6 Oak beam

So if your meat hunting these bullets are a big no no
unless you really like blood shot meat .

There really is nothing wrong with an expert using a 450 marlin or a 50 alaskan or even a 45/70 ..on DG its just not mine or i think anyone elses number one pick or number two pick or 3 or 4 or Etc.

Its kinda like when you go out and only hunt the super old game . or when you go out and pass up 8 or even 20 Big bulls looking for that one perfect one when no others will do . Or only taking long shots that trip out .Its just another way to add alittle flavor the the hunt .

But then again thats just my own two cents worth

Martin

--------------------
Owner PA Bullet's

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rgp
.333 member

Reged: 17/06/04
Loc: TX & VIC
Re: 450 Marlin for DG [Re: Pottsy]
      #32375 - 30/05/05 02:57 PM

The information on Mr. Lupo's hunts is largely being provided by one ammunition maker to boost sales of .45-70 ammunition. The manufacturer in question actually has a web page located here Garrett Cartridges - Penetration: The .45-70 & .458 Magnums which puts forth the argument that his .45-70 loads are superior to .458's, .470's, etc., for use on African game. This unfortunately seems to convince some people that a .45-70 is first choice of armament.

Richard.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 450 Marlin for DG [Re: mickey]
      #32384 - 30/05/05 04:07 PM

In reply to:

No one has yet been banned.

Two members have been banned, one whom asked to be "deleted" and promptly was.

On the .450 Marlin, almost any cartridge will kill almost any game. A .450 or a .405 or the much debated .45/70 will kill cape buffalo, as will a 6.5x54 mm M-S and a .405 kill a water buffalo.

But they are not ideal and will kill well enough if care and patience is used. One takes one's risks though of loosing the animal or getting injured yourself.

I wonder how many hunters would choose sub-standard rifles if hunting by their own and not with a PH back-up? The first time I went water buffalo hunting I carried a .30-06 with 220gr Norma FMJs, a mate had a 6.5x55 with mil FMJs and the third guy had a semi-auto shotgun with brenneckes. We thought we would have enough firepower if needed. Then we split up anyway and hunted different areas.

Nowadays I do prefer something with more grunt.

"I prefer Grunt, to Stunt!"

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pottsy
.224 member

Re: 450 Marlin for DG [Re: rgp]
      #32387 - 30/05/05 04:44 PM

Yes Richard i know ..

I know Randy Garrett no i mean i K N O W Randy

I don't know if i would go as far as saying that hes told folks that the 45/70 is better then the 458 or even the 450
or 470 or 475 and 475 Number 2 .
I think some folks just don't take a shine to Randy
Mr Garrett's loads like i said are way low on the PSI scale and on Vel/ when compared to Buffalo Bore Or Grizzly Or Conley's or any of the other folks that make High PSI loaded rounds for the 45/70 ..
I guess the question is who's loaded round would you shoot on a .? say Kudo hunt or a hunt for eland a nice soft round low recoil ..Well that would be garrett's ammo
if you were going to hunt and wanted harder hitting 45/70 loaded rounds it would be one of the 4 others that make and sell loaded round like some of the ones i listed above.
Remmber Mr Garretts keeps his PSI in the 30 to 35.000 PSI range the others like Mike at Grizzly go all the way to 43.000 buffalo bore keeps theres at 42.000 PSI
Conley will run up between the two in the 41.000 to 44.000
PSI range. you see according to the folks on the inside at Marlin running the Marlin GS Stainless at pressures of 48.000 PSI can be done but in the long term it WILL wear the rifle out in about 1000 round's you see it the block
on the GS while its the same as the ones on the Cowboy and the Marlin G it's made from stainless and thay just rate it higher .Now your not going to get anyone at Marlin to come right out and say it hell no you won't. but if you know some one there pick up the phone and call them
now i have run the GS 45/70's in a test at over 80.000 PSI and the rifle hangs together i have done this a few times for my own test's what happens is the action lock's tight then ..well lets just say it requires a steel rod driven down the barrel to force the action open the shell case is so deformed as to take on the shape and form of the base of the bolt face all the shell split down the right hand side about 2/3's the way this was done with Remington brand case's and normal large rilfe CCI primers and a brand of powder that i will list only if PMed its not every to be use .
I have a control tank i test bullets in
( water tank thats 14 feet long 24 inch's diameter ..
I used one of those concret piler cones and instead of pouring the concert into it i poured it on the out side makes a great test tank but it's only 24 inch in diameter so i braket the rifles to a stand and sit in the ajoining room and pull the string .

Jezz i am rambling again sorry guys .

I don't think anyone is nuts enough to think the 45/70 is the Go to rifle for DG maybe a ? 45/120 loaded up right but hey ! why not take a a real rifle out to hunt DG like a 458 or 378 Weatherby heck a 404 Jeffery would do just fine .

Anyway .. thanks guys this banter is about the most civil i have every had on the 450 Marlin or 45/70

Martin

--------------------
Owner PA Bullet's

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #32411 - 31/05/05 12:26 AM

In reply to:

The information on Mr. Lupo's hunts is largely being provided by one ammunition maker to boost sales of .45-70 ammunition. The manufacturer in question actually has a web page located here Garrett Cartridges - Penetration: The .45-70 & .458 Magnums which puts forth the argument that his .45-70 loads are superior to .458's, .470's, etc., for use on African game. This unfortunately seems to convince some people that a .45-70 is first choice of armament.

Richard.

Actually, I don't think Mr. Garrett convinces anyone who reads that material with an open mind. Instead, be provides justification to those who prefer to use a 45-70, both in applications where it is appropriate and in applications where it is not.

If Mr. Garrett were right that less velocity equals more penetration, then I would have to ask why he loads his 45-70 ammo hot in order to achieve near max. velocities for the cartridge. If less velocity is desirable, it surprises me that he does not load the 45-70 to mild pressure levels because the velocity would be less.

There is one interpretation which makes Mr. Garrett correct, however. Perhaps he loads his cast lead bullets to the maximum velocity that they can withstand. Perhaps if pushed to a higher velocity, his cast lead bullets would deform or break up. In that event, the Garrett cast lead bullets would enjoy less penetration if pushed faster.

Of course all a fellow would need to do to achieve better results is purchase some DG solids from A-Square, Barnes, GS Custom, Hornady, North Fork, TCCI, Trophy Bonded (Speer), Woodleigh. With those bullets, velocity does not become a limitation again (due to deforming bullets) until above 2500 fps in most instances.

rgp
.333 member

#32465 - 31/05/05 10:44 AM

Martin,

Unfortunately articles on the site definitely imply that a .45-70 is superior to a .458.

Quoting from Modern .45-70 Performance "...the 45-70 provides a degree of lethality not generally found with other calibers, even ones producing much greater power. This is best evidenced by comparisons with the mighty 458 Winchester Magnum."

If it were correct in actual practice, it would be a very simple business decision for professional hunters who have seen the results in the field to to rearm themselves with .45-70 Marlins and save a lot of money. They aren't doing that.

Richard.

rgp
.333 member

Re: 450 Marlin for DG [Re: 500grains]
      #32471 - 31/05/05 11:22 AM

500grains,

Not all of his loads are the hard cast Hammerheads, he's now making .45-70 loads with 350 gr. and 500 gr. Woodleigh Weldcores (the 500 gr. Weldcore at 1600 fps is mentioned as suitable for Cape Buffalo).

The other new load uses "the amazing 500-grain Speer Tungsten Solid and is recommended for use against elephant, rhino, and hippo." This load is listed at a velocity of 1530 fps.

I copied the maker's recommendations off of the product descriptions on the website.

Richard.

Pottsy
.224 member

#32476 - 31/05/05 11:52 AM

In reply to:

Martin,

Unfortunately articles on the site definitely imply that a .45-70 is superior to a .458.

Quoting from Modern .45-70 Performance "...the 45-70 provides a degree of lethality not generally found with other calibers, even ones producing much greater power. This is best evidenced by comparisons with the mighty 458 Winchester Magnum."

If it were correct in actual practice, it would be a very simple business decision for professional hunters who have seen the results in the field to to rearm themselves with .45-70 Marlins and save a lot of money. They aren't doing that.

Richard.

Well as to your first point .. Randy is doing ( for good or bad ) what ever it take to sell his loaded rounds.

It does seem that could be construde as a implcation that the 45/70 is some how better then the 458 mag Or Lott which is dead wrong .

There are tests and i myself have done them using a 460 Weatherby and 458 win mag along with the 45/70
The tests in them selfs really dont show the whole picture
but seem to add to the confution on the matter of which is really the best .

The test involves penatration in to a harden object
using one type of bullet in all the rifles in the test .

everyone here knows that at some point no matter what speed you drive your bullet its going to stop ...

So if you take a .458 Diameter 500 grain tapered flat point bullet and load it into a 460 Weatherby and the same bullet into a 458 Win Mag and the same bullet into a 45/70

Your going to wind up with very close to the same deapth of penatration on all three bullet's .

Now with all that said and done i can tell you that it's more of a stunt then a test .
Thats the key to it .." It's a stunt " not a true test

To do the testing right the bullet's must be fired into
some kind of real matter and your going to be looking for far more then just how far you can drive the bullet your going to be looking for what kind of destrution it does on its way in .

You will add the amount of destrution /shock value +
deapth of penatration + bullet design + Bullet over all weight after it comes to a stop + and how much real damage its done to what ever the type of matter you have used ..
Some folks used - Pre formed / moulded containers filled with bone and animal matter .

Some just go to the butch shop and pick up all the old left overs / backs leg bones what ever is around .

Is just as cheap to used a square 5 gallon bucket
fill it part way with gellaton and drop in old bones till the bucket starts to over flow then let it sit and harden .

Stack 10 of them back to back ... that test make alot of diffrents compared to the other tests run
and it will show just how much more real fire power the 460 Weatherby can deliver then the 45/70 and the 458 does
far and away more then the 45/70 .

But not to take away from the 45/70 it is a heck of a round there i question about its fire power.
But does it out do the 404 jeffery or the 458 Win Mag
No but it's alot closer then one might think .

So to sum up .. Randy does over state what the 45/70 does and can do .

But it is one he77 of a round in a modern rifle .
At 2000 FPS using a 400 grain well made bullet
an expert can drop Cape Buffal one right after another.

But why ? when a person can use somthing else ..Maybe
its the challenge like i have said before .

I am not a great hunt i have although kill my fair share of Elk And Deer and Brown Bear and alot of other critters
Would i walk out on the plains of Africa with my 45/70 and shoot at Cape ? maybe maybe not would i be scared to do it nope i do know what my bullets will do .
Would i have someone else go out with me packing just a 45/70 ? tough question ... would i go out with out some other rifle NO . I think that answers the question though.

No i would not go out with out another rifle .
Maybe even my and i do own one thats why i mentioned it before but really din't want to say anything
it's a BLR that was a 300 Win Mag that i had converted to 50-110.. That rifle i would walk out and shoot Cape with
Its more then enough

Now to the last statment about PH's rearming themself's
LOL i will let you in on something here there are ... more then a few gent that did go out and buy 45/70 GS
Not for Rhino Not for Cape Buffalo but for Lion.
Now that means nothing it's just a big bore short range
light weight rifle that can stop a lion . it sound cool but thats about the end of it .. and there not using them
to hunt with there only using them for pack into the bush
after wounded lion . alot of these folks still use a shotgun
to finish off the lions as well . so . its just a matter of
what works for them ..

So no all the game guide's are not rushing out to grab 45/70's becouse there not the greatest gun to come down the pike.

---------------------

Martin

P.S
Tonights dinner is 3 Lb's of ground Elk and some vegies ....

Your invited if you can get here in the next 20 min

Martin

--------------------
Owner PA Bullet's

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #32477 - 31/05/05 11:52 AM

Richard,

Maybe Garrett stocked up on those Speer tungsten core bullets, because Speer reports they have been discontinued.

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: 450 Marlin for DG [Re: 500grains]
      #32769 - 08/06/05 10:17 AM

A 30-30 will kill dangerous game, Bwana Carter killed everything with a 32 Win. Special for several years before he made some bucks and promptly got a big bore....

The point is the 450 Marlin gives a Buffalo a lot more time to decide wheather he wants to kill YOU before he dies....

People that want to kill dangerous game with small arms are on an ego trip, and are playing with dynomite..I have seen the Cape Buffalo at his worst 3 times and in each case I remember thinking , I need a bigger gun! and I was using a bigger guns than the Marlin by a good deal...

Its easy to sit at the computer and kill a charging Lion or buff with a small caliber..Lions scare the liveing crap out of me, they simply make too much fuss out of a charge, they are like sitting on the rail head and a locomotive is coming blowing his whistle, and they are a blur of a yellow ball that one must shoot into the middle of......

Me, I'll take a 375, 416 or a 404 as my DGR, and I shoot lighter guns than most folks, many think I don't shoot enough gun, at times I have given them praise, but its worked so far....

rgp
.333 member

Re: 450 Marlin for DG [Re: atkinson6]
      #32783 - 08/06/05 02:39 PM

I haven't hunted Africa, so the only large animals I've seen at their worst have been two domestic cattle, one Brangus bull and a Brangus/Hereford cross cow, both of which were very gentle a few minutes earlier. Both of the experiences were enough to convince me that a heavy rifle is a very reasonable expense no matter where you live or whether or not you intend to hunt dangerous animals.

Richard.

Pottsy
.224 member

Re: 450 Marlin for DG [Re: atkinson6]
      #32795 - 08/06/05 07:44 PM

Pile driver

--------------------
Owner PA Bullet's

rgp
.333 member

#32812 - 09/06/05 09:27 AM

Pottsy,

That Pile Driver looks rather useful...with a meplat that wide it's virtually a wadcutter.

Richard.

Pottsy
.224 member

#32830 - 09/06/05 04:15 PM

Richard
Ya it look's sweat and in a cowboy with a 26 Inch barrel

it should be flying .

I was thinking of making the same thing but making the bullet a 500 Grain in the 26 inch barrel that should add another 267 FPS to the 1886 FPS and at under or close to 40.000 PSI that make it a lighter load then the Grizzly's or the buffalo bores i have beeen shooting thay are 42.000
to 43.000 PSI

The only realy question is just how hard can i go with the lead mix pre babit 10% or can a guy go higher before i start effecting the pressure level by making the bullet to hard ?

--------------------
Owner PA Bullet's

rgp
.333 member

#32832 - 09/06/05 04:51 PM

Pottsy,

I would bet you could go higher pressure & velocity if you got your hands on an 1886 Winchester, especially if a modern one. One gunsmith years ago actually chambered an 1886 in .300 Winchester Magnum and used it as a single shot to see how much pressure the action could handle. The action did fine with no wear with any load that could be crammed into the .300 Win. Mag. case. The action the smith used was an old 1886, I think 1920's or 1930's vintage.

Richard.

Pottsy
.224 member

#32834 - 09/06/05 05:36 PM

Richard wrote;
In reply to:

Pottsy,

I would bet you could go higher pressure & velocity if you got your hands on an 1886 Winchester, especially if a modern one. One gunsmith years ago actually chambered an 1886 in .300 Winchester Magnum and used it as a single shot to see how much pressure the action could handle. The action did fine with no wear with any load that could be crammed into the .300 Win. Mag. case. The action the smith used was an old 1886, I think 1920's or 1930's vintage.

Richard.

I don't have to push the one i have to get a good load out of it .
And if i really wanted to stand on it ( god know's why ? )
I would go a BLR 55.000 PSI mag action
but there is no need to do that

The load in question is a compressed load at 40.000 PSI
to start with going to a diffrent rifle would not do anything anyway there just is not any room in the case for
more powder.

I mean why not brake out my M77 Ruger 458 Mag
or my BLR 50-110 .

The 45-70 is what it is and in a GS it's one of the best brush guns i have ever pack out
and in a Cowboy its a hell of a close range Elk and Brown Bear rifle.
And at an easy 40.000 PSI and a 500 grain bullet at 2100FPS
in the cowboy 26 inch barrel 45/70
the next closet rifle is my Ruger 458 at about the same bullistic preformance level.

My 45/70 is not a 458 win mag and my 458 win mag is not
a 45/70 although thay are neck and neck when it comes down! to necks on DG i will be using my 458 win mag thank you

The only real compation for the 45/70 in a GS is a BLR convertion from a 300 win mag to a 50-110 brush gun.

It's beat me packing that 10 ton 10 Ga S/S i used to pack in the brush for Brown Bear.

--------------------
Owner PA Bullet's

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7751

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com