Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 450 Marlin for DG

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
450 Marlin for DG
      #26017 - 10/02/05 09:43 AM

Does anyone know whether the 450 Marlin has been used for dangerous game yet? It seems marginal but adaquate at reasonable ranges for buffalo or lion.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
Re: 450 Marlin for DG [Re: luv2safari]
      #26033 - 10/02/05 02:31 PM

bruce,

...i believe some of the more popular hunting magazines (maybe 'rifle') featured articles on the topic you are now enquiring about...the use of a 450 marlin on a dg hunt (cape buff i believe)...

...if i recall properly, the answer was a marginal 'yes' in terms of success...

DBBill
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/03
Loc: Southern California, USA
      #27962 - 18/03/05 06:28 PM

Dangerous game covers several animals....elephant, hippo and probably buff...don't want to try it. Leopard and lion .... why not?

Nframe
.275 member

Reged: 29/12/04
      #27966 - 18/03/05 09:34 PM

Prepare to repel boarders, you just started a firedstorm!!

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #27972 - 19/03/05 12:25 AM

L2S

You're kidding, right? After all, the 450 Marlin is just a belted 45/70 with a lighter bullet. The 45/70 can be anything anybody would want within reason. If I can finally go and bang something with one of my bigger toys, it sure wouldn't be with a belted 45/70. BTW, what magazine article is this in reference to?

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: 450 Marlin for DG [Re: 475Guy]
      #27976 - 19/03/05 02:32 AM

Yes you can - if you handload it with the appropriate(sp) bullet. You will need a 500+ grain bullet moving > 1500fps. Go to Garret Cartridge and read about Vince Lupo's world record hunt using a 45/70 and marlin rifle.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
      #27982 - 19/03/05 11:16 AM

Sam,

You know I NEVER KID!

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

475Guy
.400 member

Re: 450 Marlin for DG [Re: bonanza]
      #27983 - 19/03/05 11:52 AM

bonanza

What the site doesn't cover is that Lupo's PH had to cover his ass with his shooting along Lupo's. In fact, with the big ones, Lupo didn't put 'em down the way it shouldn't have been done. If the PH hadn't shot, Lupo wouldn't have been able to post his pics on Garrett's site.

Bruce, E-Mail me.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
      #28011 - 20/03/05 01:39 AM

It's definatly fine as a dgr for a client. It's just not a stopping rifle. Today everyone hunts with a ph who does/should have enough gun. The 450m covers 99.7% of all dg with the proper bullet.

If the client can shoot the rifle well and can't handle a 458win mag then the 450m is a better dgr then the 458win. There is not really very many people out there that shoot a 458win well. I can shoot it, but not nearly as well as my hot loaded 45-70 or 35 whelen.

I just read Boddington's article about hunting buf with his daughter, she and I believe he took their buf with a ruger #1 in 405win. The 450m definatly beats the 405w. Yes he had a ph with a 458w right there to back him up, but the PH would be there regardless. Carry the biggest rifle you can shoot acuratly and know that the ph is right there if the shit hit's the fan.

Very, very few of us get enough dg shooting experience today to safely go out there and hunt them alone anyway. The ph backing us up is neccesary. Wether it's our mistake, bullet failure, fluke chance, we (I speak for 99.99% of us) need a ph to help get us out of trouble if we stumble into it.

SO what does this boil down to? Use the biggest gun you are comfortable and most confident with and in the 1 in 1000 chance you get a charge you can't stop, well that why we pay the ph anyway.

Enough Gun?

RELL

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

DBBill
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/03
Loc: Southern California, USA
Re: 450 Marlin for DG [Re: Rell]
      #30362 - 01/05/05 05:40 PM

I have a bolt-action 450 Marlin built on a short Rem 700 action and I can easily get 4000 ftlbs of muzzle energy with bullets ranging from 250gr to 350gr and I probably could with the 400gr bullets except the recoil is stiffer than I want to put up with. I think they would work fine for leopard and lion and I think with a proper bullet it would be OK for buffalo...but not for elephant.

Oldsarge
.300 member

Reged: 07/02/05
Loc: SoCal Borderlands
Re: 450 Marlin for DG [Re: DBBill]
      #30381 - 02/05/05 06:37 AM

The only reason I can come up with for doing so is to say that you've done it. That's not why I personally go hunting. You are better off with a .375, you are legal with a .375, your PH will be happier if you shoot a .375 and when you consider the cost of a DG safari anyway (especially such high-dollar species as lion) the price of a good new or used .375 and attendent proper tuning is immaterial. Just get a .375.

--------------------
Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle!

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: 450 Marlin for DG [Re: Oldsarge]
      #30524 - 05/05/05 01:19 AM

In reply to:

bonanza

What the site doesn't cover is that Lupo's PH had to cover his ass with his shooting along Lupo's. In fact, with the big ones, Lupo didn't put 'em down the way it shouldn't have been done. If the PH hadn't shot, Lupo wouldn't have been able to post his pics on Garrett's site.

This essential point is typically overlooked by the 45-70 crowd. I read Lupo's article carefully, and 4 out of 6 of the DG animals he shot with the 45-70 "charged" according to him. More likely they just were not disabled by the Garrett ammo or the 45-70 slugs, and wanted to depart the area. In either event, although Lupo tries to praise the 45-70, the facts written in his article speak very strongly against the caliber.

Pottsy
.224 member

Reged: 28/05/05
Loc: Oregon Coos Bay
Re: 450 Marlin for DG [Re: 500grains]
      #32318 - 29/05/05 10:53 PM

Randy Garrett's loaded ammo is very low PSI
I have only used the 500 Grain solids he sells as loaded ammo ( Speer Bullet's)
There a fair round nothing to write home about.

There is far better factory loaded rounds to be had from Grizzly then Garrett even Buffalo Bore makes better loaded rounds

http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/Search.bok?category=45-70

Hope its ok to post up that link ..But it does make the point... there are 4 other companys that make and sell
loaded ammo in 45/70 that are far better then Mr Garrett's

If you do own a 45/70 and would like to have ammo custom loaded Mike at Grizzly will make you up what you like
and ship it to you in a factory sealed box
Its a good deal if you make your own bullet's and dont want to go through the trouble of reloading for it .
Mike will load 45/70 rounds up to around 43.000 PSI
For your --- New model lever actions in 45/70
and higher for your single shot New model rugers and other high PSI rated action..

Anyway i bet this post gets me beat up
let the punching start

--------------------
Owner PA Bullet's

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: 450 Marlin for DG [Re: Pottsy]
      #32324 - 30/05/05 02:39 AM

Hey Martin, welcome to the site. You will find this place a lot more civilized than some others regarding the 45-70.

Not less opinionated, just more civilized.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Pottsy
.224 member

Re: 450 Marlin for DG [Re: mickey]
      #32328 - 30/05/05 03:55 AM

In reply to:

Hey Martin, welcome to the site. You will find this place a lot more civilized than some others regarding the 45-70.

Not less opinionated, just more civilized.

Lovu Zdar

Mick

Never Hunt With A Cartridge Younger Than You Are

Thank's for the Welcome

May i ask ? what is it that you most often use to hunt with
other then like so many say the mind what type of rifle and what cal/ Hope you don't mind me prying.

Thanks again for the welcome to the board .

Just a note about what i drag out on to the field
I hunt in " Very " heavy cover thick brush and i at one time used a s/s 10 Gauge when i lived in alaska i have since change over to the 47/70 GS When i hunt in the more open places on the ranch i use the 9.3x64 butthere are no real big game other then the Elk and Deer. i do one the other hand use the 45/70 to hunt the brush on the ranch
for Couger and for that i use my own bullets thin walls on the jackets and a very deap hollow cavity i want them dead.
Its a pain in the hind end to try and go after anything in the brush last time out i was walking up the side of the cliff and three young cougers popped out not more then 3 feet in front on me i went back down that cliff on my butt
i went one way the rifle went the other if it hadn't of happened to me it would have been funny.
Thats the number one reason i carry the short barrel rifle
if it would have been a mature couger well chances are i would have got a shot off but i would have still been on my behind sliding down that slipper slop going end over end .

Anyway ...Sorry about the rampling on guy and thanks for the welcome to the board
Martin

--------------------
Owner PA Bullet's

475Guy
.400 member

#32329 - 30/05/05 04:08 AM

Pottsy

I guess that's what a good safe heavy loaded revolver is for, those close surprises when you can't get your carbine into action. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 45-70 if you use it for what it was made for, shorter distances and up to 150 yds. I still have mine (3) and still love them. It's just I have many other bigger rifles to use for really big stuff and have every confidence that they will do the job (375 H&H, 375 Ultra, 416 Rigby, 458 WM, & 458 Lott). I no longer have a double at the moment but will take care of that in a little while.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

mickey
.416 member

#32333 - 30/05/05 06:14 AM

In reply to:

May i ask ? what is it that you most often use to hunt with
other then like so many say the mind what type of rifle and what cal/ Hope you don't mind me prying.

Now that is a complicated question. If I'm at my place in BC I cannot legally hunt without a guide. The fishing is pretty terrific though so, If I'm concerned with Bears, Black and Griz, usually in the Spring when they just have their Cubs, I carry a Mod 71 348. Sometimes a Mod 762 in '06 w/220 grain loads. Small, handy, and potent at the ranges I would have to shoot, 5 yards or less.

I have been thinking of building a 9.3x62 on a BLR. That would be pretty cool.

If on horseback I like the 348 also for Bears as it is very thin, light and with a very light scabbard easy to have around. As you can guess it is well used and not a collector's piece.

When hunting on horseback, bolt action, usually my 340 Weatherby.

In Alaska always the 375 SS Win.

When on foot in the US my 9.3x74R for everything except Mule Deer and Pronghorn, then a 300 H&H by Marholt.

Any of these can be replaced by a mood or whim.

I have had a couple of 45-70 in the Marlin. They are alright but I prefer the 348 with 250 grain bullets for the same things.

I would never take one to Africa. Not because they wouldn't work, they would, mostly, but because there are so many more versitile cartridges and rifles.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Pottsy
.224 member

#32339 - 30/05/05 08:53 AM

In reply to:

Pottsy

I guess that's what a good safe heavy loaded revolver is for, those close surprises when you can't get your carbine into action. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 45-70 if you use it for what it was made for, shorter distances and up to 150 yds. I still have mine (3) and still love them. It's just I have many other bigger rifles to use for really big stuff and have every confidence that they will do the job (375 H&H, 375 Ultra, 416 Rigby, 458 WM, & 458 Lott). I no longer have a double at the moment but will take care of that in a little while.

Thank's for the reply guy

Well said ... when i am out there i am not about to drag my Ruger M77 458 it weighs somthing like 16 Lb's Forget that noses My 35x378 weighs somthing like 29 ?+ Lb's that isn't going to happen any time soon this little Marlin is about the most light weight little critter i have ever pack out .

And there is now way on this earth you or anyone else is going to get me to lug this over weight zillion year old
Brno 416 Rigby any place soon save the 40 feet from up stairs to the basemnet to test bullets in
i would part with it but it was dad's

I don't shoot the 45/70 anything over 200 Feet theres no scope on it to start with and i don't want to start trying to make this thing some kind of bench rest rifle
it is what it is .

And as for a handgun i have my 1973 44 Automag i bought
my 29 is almost as big with the 8 3/8's but when i bought that over price shinny stop sign i was a kid and wanted to make sure everyonje knew i have a really cool pistol thats why i got the crome plated vertion god its an eye sore.

The bullet's i make up for my 45/70 for Couger could/should never be use on game a person plains to eat
thay make a hole like the holland tunnel going in and coming out IF thay do make it out.

For me its a case of if i owned Ed Hubel's 700 Hubel express i would make up diffrent bullet's for it diffrent from the ones i do make and i would use it to hunt Couger
although it does weigh a ton Well not quite but the point is that i want the biggest light weight rifle i can use again those couger i have messed up years ago and took it for granted that thay were just an over sized house cat and could be taken down with about any size rifle ..And thay can but if a person doesn't kill them in the first shot and thay get away ...well a wounded couger is no a house cat it a house cat on staroids x 10 .

and having to track a super POed couger into rocky crags with millions of hiding places is no fun and worrying about it popping out and snapping my head off wasn't much fun.

Anyway .. i am rambling again ...

Thanks for the welcome to the board guy

--------------------
Owner PA Bullet's

Pottsy
.224 member

#32341 - 30/05/05 09:16 AM

In reply to:

I have been thinking of building a 9.3x62 on a BLR. That would be pretty cool.

Thats a good one but i you might want to think just for fun about trying that convertion using the BLR from a 300 Winchester mag to a 50-110 the BLR as you already know is a 55.000 PSI action and one like that rechambered into a
50-110 is the cat's meow you wind up with a lever action thats about the same as a 505 Gibbs.
525 grain at 2350 in a BLR 50-110 is no joke just don't pass your reloaded ammo out to folks with the winchester vertion of the 50-110 i really don't know if it could handle the extra PSI the souped up 50-110 reloaded ammo is running at around 51.000 to 51.800 PSI and no one could every pay me enough to try them out in a Winchester lever action god loves Varge powder thats about all i will say on that topic

Sounds like you have a really nice place to fish
I lived in Alaska for a few years with the wife and kids on the ( Res ) i miss the hunting and fishing but not the state
bird ( White sock )

Those are very good choise's for rilfes to hunt with
are you reloading for your 348 or buying factory ammo?

With your 348 are you using 250 grain bullet's in it ?

as for the /06 i had thought long and hard about having one built with a super short barrel and light weight stock
for these pesky couger its a great all around round
and darn hard to beat for a first time shooter rifle choise

anyway once again i am starting to ramble on

Thanks Micky for your comments and warm welcome to the Board

--------------------
Owner PA Bullet's

rgp
.333 member

Reged: 17/06/04
Loc: TX & VIC
      #32342 - 30/05/05 09:24 AM

I think the .450 Marlin started out 30 or more years ago as the ".458 American" which was a sawn off .458 Win. case made to fit into a highly modified Winchester Model 94, made by a custom gunsmith for his own personal use.

From the bit I read about the person who took all of the African nasties with a .45-70 Marlin, I got the impression that it was a stunt. The account contained too many references to wild parties for me to think otherwise.

Richard.

475Guy
.400 member

#32354 - 30/05/05 10:21 AM

Pottsy

I was referring to having a Ruger SA in either 44 Mag or 45 Colt in either a 4 5/8" or 5 1/2" barrel that just sits on your hip with the proper belt/holster combination. The Ruger revolvers in the Bisley configuration is the cat's meow as far handling recoil is concerned. I can't lug my 475 around w/o my shoulder holster for a b/u gun so it has become a primary weapon if I'm not lugging a carbine or another rifle.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

Pottsy
.224 member

#32359 - 30/05/05 10:56 AM

In reply to:

Pottsy

I was referring to having a Ruger SA in either 44 Mag or 45 Colt in either a 4 5/8" or 5 1/2" barrel that just sits on your hip with the proper belt/holster combination. The Ruger revolvers in the Bisley configuration is the cat's meow as far handling recoil is concerned. I can't lug my 475 around w/o my shoulder holster for a b/u gun so it has become a primary weapon if I'm not lugging a carbine or another rifle.

I understand buddy i have thought long and hard about swapping out the over weighted AutoMag for my 4 5/8's 41mag Ruger Single action...
And i understand about the shoulder holster i only have my old fast draw holster for the 41 and have been thinking about getting a pancake for it ..

I got to add somthing here this is about the most polite
board i have every been on guy's

Thanks for the reply's

Martin

--------------------
Owner PA Bullet's

mickey
.416 member

#32361 - 30/05/05 10:59 AM

martin

No I don't load for the 348. I shoot less than 5 rounds a year out of it so it is not worth it. Yes I do shoot the 250 grain bullets. I still have about 5 boxes.

The 50-110 is interesting but I don't need that much power in that light a package. If I do need the power I have a couple of doubles that will work.

In '85 a friend and I went down to Davuli Ranch in Zim and hunted a bit with William Finaughty, grandson of the famous Elephant hunter. My friend brought a 450 Alaskan on the Mod 71 and some 500 grain Winchester softs. He had taken the nose off to make a flat nose out of them.

I think he shot 5-6 Buffalo and a Giraffe with it. It was evident that it was not nearly good enough for the Buf and a disaster on the Giraffe. I got to finish off some of them with my 404.. Whether it was bullet problems or not I can't say but it clearly lacked penitration, particularly striaght line penitration.

None of the residents had ever seen anything like the 450 Alaskan. Most were limited to only seeing lever actions on TV.

Maybe with better bullets it would have worked better, I don't know. Maybe not.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

mickey
.416 member

#32364 - 30/05/05 11:22 AM

In reply to:

I got to add somthing here this is about the most polite
board i have every been on guy's

If you go to Announcments you will see a discussion under Code of Conduct that attempts to define us.

So far we have decided not to require a tie.

Mostly we all get along and respect each others views. Even if we disagree.

There are no rules about name calling or rudeness but most members choose not to do either. Obvious BS is handled forth right and promptly by the members. So far trolls and other disagreeable types have left of their own accord. No one has yet been banned.

We have as members some who are considered trolls, or almost trolls on other Forums but they do not behave in a way that is detrimental to this Forum, here. Maybe it is because we have other things to talk about, besides each other?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

Pottsy
.224 member

Re: 450 Marlin for DG [Re: rgp]
      #32368 - 30/05/05 01:08 PM

Richard

Ya i think your right about the 450 Marlin being a
".458 American 2 Inch " Thay look kust the same
although i think thay may have lenghtened the case by .029 or so.

As for the 45/70 used in Africa by the gent that used Garrett ammo . ? well maybe but there have been over 100
DG type game now taken with the 45/70 in africa including African Lion and cheetta<--Spelled wrong sorry ..
(Little fast dog that looks like a cat) <- with spots and alot of folks are taking Cape Buffalo
with the round as well.

It really must be noted that although the 45/70 would not be my number one pick on Cape Buffalo it would not bother me in the least to take one out and shoot Cape with it as long as i could use my own bullet's and loads

A good ((turn base))<-- upside down lead end at the base Guilded metal at the nose.. with a C220 <- Guilded metal jacket. in a 0.050 jacket wall thickness and a 400 grain bullet weight at@ 2000 FPS ..and i dont need a back up folks
thanks anyway been shooting Brown Bear and Couger for a very very very longggg time . but .! ya gotta have a PH .
out with you .. so i will take my buddy John Duarte
he did fair this year bagged some nice Kudo and eland
and a few other small game.

These are The ones from this years hunt ..Thats John

This one shows John in need of Jenny Crag diet program

John Duarte makes his own bullet's as well and used on this trip his 300 Win Mag with 220 grain 0.030 jacket's
all were one shot kills

any way once again i am going on about something else in another persons post on the 450 Marlin Sorry guys

--------------------
Owner PA Bullet's

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7743

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com