Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Remington 700 Safari grade.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Buster95
.275 member

Reged: 01/11/10
Loc: Canada
Remington 700 Safari grade.
      #253629 - 17/09/14 06:54 AM

What's the average price for a Remington 700 Safari grade in 458 win mag in very good+ condition? These guns were custom made by Remington if this is the case the quality is better than the standard 700s?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Remington 700 Safari grade. [Re: Buster95]
      #253630 - 17/09/14 07:25 AM

I have had 2--both in 416 Rem..both very accurate..have taken one on 4 hunts in Africa..no problems
have seen them sell for anywhere from 1200--1600..depending on who is selling and who is buying..

Does it have the rosewood cap and heavy barrel built in the late 1980's??.. the ones I have were..

I can not speak of the stuff they have produced in the past 10-12 years out of there..

Hope this helps.

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Buster95
.275 member

Re: Remington 700 Safari grade. [Re: Ripp]
      #253631 - 17/09/14 09:13 AM

Yes the rifle have a rosewood cap I don't know the date of manufacture, where I can find the date with the serial number? In the pics I have the barrel look an heavy one.

Here's are some pic of the rifle in question.

Ripp
.577 member

#253647 - 17/09/14 10:56 PM

That's the one--if you used the "BLUE BOOK OF GUN VALUES" you could check out the manufacture date..but not necessary..the earlier ones looked like this..the ones built later looked different with a different stock ..

My experience is buy it if its a reasonable price..I have had 4- 416's in all, the Remington I have shoots the best including the custom model I have and a new Winchester controlled round feed as well.

I have hunted dangerous game in Africa on numerous occasions with no problems what so ever as to feeding or ejections. I did have a Sako extractor installed on mine however.

Ripp

--------------------

Buster95
.275 member

#253657 - 18/09/14 06:02 AM

The seller want $875 for it shipping include.

Ripp
.577 member

#253686 - 18/09/14 10:51 PM

In my opinion that is a very fair deal..good deal for you checking prices on the net..

Ripp

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #253881 - 22/09/14 12:37 PM

Sounds like a good buy to me.

Kano
.300 member

Reged: 09/07/03
Loc: East Africa
Re: Remington 700 Safari grade. [Re: Rule303]
      #254056 - 25/09/14 10:34 PM

If it's for range use, no problem.

If it's for use in serious conditions, there are a few issues with Remington 700s:

- The bolt handle is not integral, it's brazen on. They do fail and come off once in a while.

- The plunger ejector can get stuck in the retracted position, failing to eject the case.

- The extractor does fail more often than other designs.

These are not theoretical occurrences, they are real issues affecting a significant number of these rifles. All these issues can be fixed, but have no place in a dangerous game situation. That a particular rifle worked flawlessly for years does not preclude the fact that many did not.

So, again: for use at the range or on non-dangerous game in a non-dangerous game area, no problem. They can be really accurate and they have shot gazillions of things.

If the rifle is intended for use in dangerous game country, it may be worth considering a different one.

--------------------
Philip

Ardent
.275 member

Reged: 19/11/12
Loc: Northern British Columbia, Can...
Re: Remington 700 Safari grade. [Re: Kano]
      #255332 - 17/10/14 06:49 AM

The Remington 700, quite unfortunately, is a decent agglomeration of manufacturing shortcuts, and its foremost design consideration was cost of manufacture. Hence the "pipe" receiver, sandwiched recoil lug, three piece soldered together bolt, and "paperclip" extractor. You can do much, much better for your money. The thing that most impresses me about Remington is they have managed to sell so many.

--------------------
www.morrisonarms.com

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #255343 - 17/10/14 08:34 AM

Quote:

- The plunger ejector can get stuck in the retracted position, failing to eject the case.

This happened to me a couple days ago.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Rule303
.416 member

Re: Remington 700 Safari grade. [Re: Ardent]
      #255368 - 17/10/14 06:17 PM

Quote:

The Remington 700, quite unfortunately, is a decent agglomeration of manufacturing shortcuts, and its foremost design consideration was cost of manufacture. Hence the "pipe" receiver, sandwiched recoil lug, three piece soldered together bolt, and "paperclip" extractor. You can do much, much better for your money. The thing that most impresses me about Remington is they have managed to sell so many.

Quite true. They sell because of $ value + the dont come apart at the seams like some other rifles do. That is catastrophic failure.

The other thing for me personaly is I have suffered more failures from Mauser and other CRF rifles than I have with my Rems. So in my case the Rem is a better DG rifle than the CRF, go figure. I would think my cicumstances are the fly in the ointment that disproves the rule.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Remington 700 Safari grade. [Re: Ardent]
      #255370 - 17/10/14 06:21 PM

I have owned quite a few Remington Rifles over the years...at least 2 dozen, and I've only ever had trouble with one, and that problem was taken care of while under warranty. They've all been very accurate, with none of them shooting groups larger than 2 1/2 inches moa with factory ammunition, and none larger than 1 1/4 inches with hand loads. Never had any extraction or ejection problems either. For the money, I think they offer the average working man or woman a decent, functional, and reliable weapon.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #255377 - 17/10/14 08:18 PM

Quote:

Quite true. They sell because of $ value + the dont come apart at the seams like some other rifles do. That is catastrophic failure.

The other thing for me personaly is I have suffered more failures from Mauser and other CRF rifles than I have with my Rems.

What sort of problems were these? And what exactly were the brands of rifle, or if original mil actions etc?

Interested in the causes and also what the "catastrophic failures" of rifles you have had? Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Remington 700 Safari grade. [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #255399 - 18/10/14 12:13 AM

Quote:

I have owned quite a few Remington Rifles over the years...at least 2 dozen, and I've only ever had trouble with one, and that problem was taken care of while under warranty. They've all been very accurate, with none of them shooting groups larger than 2 1/2 inches moa with factory ammunition, and none larger than 1 1/4 inches with hand loads. Never had any extraction or ejection problems either. For the money, I think they offer the average working man or woman a decent, functional, and reliable weapon.

I would guess I have owned at least that many as well..and have experienced zero problems with any of them..some have shot better than others but most have been very accurate.. I hear often of the problems described above, but in owned them for over 35 years and having shot hundreds of game, no failures..but just me experience, may be different for others..

Having said all that, one of my PH's in Zim in 2008 had the exact rifle in camp for his backup if the .458 Win actually broke as the stock was in very poor condition..I left him my leftover ammo for it when I left..Ian Gibson of Chifuti was his name..

Ripp

--------------------

Kano
.300 member

Reged: 09/07/03
Loc: East Africa
      #255486 - 20/10/14 07:32 PM

Quote:

Having said all that, one of my PH's in Zim in 2008 had the exact rifle in camp for his backup if the .458 Win actually broke as the stock was in very poor condition...

Ripp

I have seen a PH hunting with a rifle that would systematically jam on the second round, one with a broken magazine spring, defective bolt stop and defective safety, one with a crushed magazine box so the rounds would not feed, and a few other niceties along these lines.

The equation PH = Good Rifle returns a False more often than it's supposed to!

--------------------
Philip

Ripp
.577 member

#255496 - 21/10/14 12:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Having said all that, one of my PH's in Zim in 2008 had the exact rifle in camp for his backup if the .458 Win actually broke as the stock was in very poor condition...

Ripp

I have seen a PH hunting with a rifle that would systematically jam on the second round, one with a broken magazine spring, defective bolt stop and defective safety, one with a crushed magazine box so the rounds would not feed, and a few other niceties along these lines.

The equation PH = Good Rifle returns a False more often than it's supposed to!

Honestly I have purchased two controlled feed rifles and when I go back I will probably take one of them..one is a new model Winchester in 416 Rem ---the other is a custom in 416 Rem. , yes, I really like that caliber..

My only point is I did do 4 hunts in Africa with the Remington Custom shop and it performed flawlessly..think they put a little more thought/care into them out of it maybe??

Take care

Ripp

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Re: Remington 700 Safari grade. [Re: NitroX]
      #255530 - 21/10/14 05:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The other thing for me personaly is I have suffered more failures from Mauser and other CRF rifles than I have with my Rems.

What sort of problems were these? And what exactly were the brands of rifle, or if original mil actions etc?

Interested in the causes and also what the "catastrophic failures" of rifles you have had? Thanks.

John not all the rifle were owned by me. Most of the problems- some M98's & Ruger 77- could be traced back to the extractor timing-so I found out latter in life. I have had bouble feeds twith the M98's of mates. These problems are why I swore off them in my younger years.

Once I learned more about them I started to appreciate M98 and it's clones. I now have several CRF -other than SMLE's.

I have never had a catastrophic failure but others have. I have not heard of a Rem 700 action ( or Ruger 77's, Steyr Prohunters)coming apart at the seems but plenty of Sako's, Browning, Howa's and M98 have. These are the ones I have heard of. The M98 is understandable if it was a late war time production and turned into a magnum sporter or similar. I have not heard of a Tikka action failing. Just because I have not heard of a brand/model failing does not mean some, somewhere have not. Yes I would think most would of been due to bad reloading or safety practices by the owner.

Not trying or wanting to start a Brand bashing exercise here, just pointing out that there are exceptions to the rule.

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #257452 - 03/12/14 12:12 AM

Remington 700 rifles often get blamed for mechanical faults that were actually the owner\gunsmiths fault. The extractors that I have seen fail were the result of refinish jobs. The caustic involved with the refinishing process either ate the solder holding the extractor or the solder and the extractor. This also goes for bolts coming apart. Refinishing by a less than competent (would be)smith was always the cause. As for plungers failing. Hosing them down with a good synthetic oil and working the plunger with a screw driver or punch, then brushing the bolt face with an old tooth brush once and a while will take care of any plunger problems. Lack of maintenance and improper hand loading and handling will be an anathema to any brand of firearm. With Remington 700's being so popular, and reasonably priced, more morons own and handle them.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Remington 700 Safari grade. [Re: albertan]
      #257457 - 03/12/14 01:31 AM

Quote:

Remington 700 rifles often get blamed for mechanical faults that were actually the owner\gunsmiths fault. The extractors that I have seen fail were the result of refinish jobs. The caustic involved with the refinishing process either ate the solder holding the extractor or the solder and the extractor. This also goes for bolts coming apart. Refinishing by a less than competent (would be)smith was always the cause. As for plungers failing. Hosing them down with a good synthetic oil and working the plunger with a screw driver or punch, then brushing the bolt face with an old tooth brush once and a while will take care of any plunger problems. Lack of maintenance and improper hand loading and handling will be an anathema to any brand of firearm. With Remington 700's being so popular, and reasonably priced, more morons own and handle them.

+1
there is a really tragic story of a kid getting accidentally shot..Remington got sued..BUT, I talked to a local gunsmith who they wanted to testify in their behalf..the gunsmith told me the trigger was totally jacked by someone who didn't know what he was doing..sad story but sure wasn't Remington's fault..and as you stated, there are so many more out there it is bound to happen but by someone with less than proficient skills...

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (03/12/14 05:38 AM)

chuck375
.333 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: Colorado Springs CO
      #258292 - 27/12/14 06:59 AM

I bought a Rem 700 BDL in 270 in the late 60s (68) I think. Never an issue with it, killed two grizzlies, a lot of black bears, elk and deer with it. A bunch of prairie dogs too. Has always shot nickel sized groups at 100 yards with 150g Partitions cooking along at 3000 fps. My son has it now and killed his first elk with it. That being said, quality control sucks now at Remington. I bought a new XCR II in 375 H&H in the spring of 2011 for my brown bear hunt. It wouldn't chamber Remington factory ammo, the extractor was too big. So I had a Sako extractor installed, the bolt handle welded on and had it rechambered to 375 Weatherby for good measure. Now that it's been "customized" I do have to say I really like the gun. It weighs 7 1/2 lbs with a Leupold 2-7x scope on it, is as weatherproof as your going to get, shoots .5 MOA and the stock seems to soak up recoil. A 300g A-Frame at 2700 fps will kill anything on this hemisphere without a problem.

So if the 458 Rem Custom is an older one, so much the better. Probably needs no work at all.

Merry Christmas

--------------------
"There's a saying in prize fighting: Everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Edited by chuck375 (27/12/14 07:03 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 85 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8200

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com