Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Frighttening Experience

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
vladimir
.224 member

Reged: 13/12/04
Loc: Louisville, Ky USA
Frighttening Experience
      #25123 - 25/01/05 12:29 PM

Hello Everyone,

When last I wrote to the forum, I was anxiously awaiting delivery of my CZ .458 Lott. Well, I received my rifle about 2 ½ weeks ago and I have a story to tell.
Day after picking up my rifle, I went to our county cabin to give it a try. Loaded up the CZ with a 500 grain .458 win mag as a first test – fired at the steel plate boar – and proceeded to catch a ricochet bullet in the abdomen. I’ve sense learned that shooting a steel plate with a FMJ is bad news - wish I’d known that before I made my stupid mistake.
Being hit by a bullet, even one that has spent most of its energy on a target, is a terrifying experience. It is the most surprising thing in the world to look at your belly and see a hole that wasn’t there before. Feels like being hit by a baseball bat in the stomach. Not a sharp or stabbing pain, but a “wallop” like getting kicked by a horse. Anyway, to make a long story short, I had emergency surgery that afternoon to remove the bullet that had penetrated 7 to 8 inches into my abdomen. Fortunately and luckily for me, my major organs were for the most part missed by the bullet. My stomach was perforated and the abdominal artery was nicked but, I should fully recover in several weeks.
One of the worst parts of the whole experience was the phone call the wife received from the local law enforcement. Naturally, it scared her to death. Will likely be a while before she lets me shoot again.
For now, I’m at home recuperating and regaining my strength. For what it’s worth, I hope my mistake can prevent someone else from having the same accident.
Take care all and be SAFE.

-Vlad

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Frighttening Experience [Re: vladimir]
      #25125 - 25/01/05 12:41 PM

vladimir-my thoughts and prayers for a speedy and complete recovery go out to you and your wife.

wharf
.300 member

Reged: 02/08/04
Loc: aust
      #25126 - 25/01/05 01:39 PM

Thats a bit of bad luck mate hope you get well.If you dont mind me asking,How far away was the plate and what is it made from.

--------------------
if it bleeds we can kill it.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #25127 - 25/01/05 01:43 PM

Vlad,
What a nasty experience that would surely be!

Get well soon mate!

vapodog
.300 member

Reged: 28/12/04
Loc: Nebraska USA
Re: Frighttening Experience [Re: wharf]
      #25129 - 25/01/05 01:44 PM

Get well soon.....and thanks for the "heads up"

--------------------

foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
      #25134 - 25/01/05 03:14 PM

Get well soon, our prayers and thoughts are with you for a speedy recovery.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #25137 - 25/01/05 03:45 PM

Vlad,

I am sorry to hear of your accident, and best wishes for a speedy recovrry.

Can you tell us how far away the steel plate was? I have been hit by bouncing bits of .45 acp lead bullets fired at steel plate targets set out at 25 yards.

510Wells
.275 member

Reged: 16/11/03
Loc: Gold Bar, Wa.
      #25144 - 25/01/05 05:10 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident.

I feel I should poke an oar in the water here and also warn everyone here about another ricochet hazard. A old un-inflated car tire if shot into the tread will return a bullet right back at you or off to the side depending on the angle of impact.

Right after I got a Ruger 44 mag. I was "plinking" at a local dumping site near Reno and shot a tire, after I went over to look at it I was suprised to see NO bullet hole, humm, must have missed it.

Well, I went back to my car reloaded and shot it again, this time I could see the tire move from the impact, still no bullet hole. I then crouched down and took careful aim and fired again. This time the bullet came (almost straight) back and went wizzing past my right ear. Three inchs to the left and I wouldn't be writing this. I guess I'm lucky or as I've been told God protects us fools.

Please warn your kids (and friends) not to shoot car tires.

--------------------
The only constant is change.

Member DRSS

AussieMike
.300 member

Reged: 01/09/04
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
Re: Frighttening Experience [Re: 510Wells]
      #25146 - 25/01/05 05:16 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident, sounds like you'll be back to normal in no time.

I've been thinking about getting some steel plate swinging targets made - i think I'll stick to shooting logs cut to length with diameter based on kill zone of quarry.

mike

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
Re: Frighttening Experience [Re: AussieMike]
      #25148 - 25/01/05 05:59 PM

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

The SA Hunting and Game Conservation Ass. did some extensive reseach for our shooting competitions, if steel plates are used we shoot them at 200 meters. I'm not 100% sure what the closest distance are, but I won't come closer than 200 meters. The safest for practice is still paper punching.

Regards

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

blackbearhunter
.333 member

Reged: 15/06/04
Loc: swamp
Re: Frighttening Experience [Re: SAHUNT]
      #25157 - 25/01/05 10:48 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident.You are lucky!Take care and get well soon!

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
Re: Frighttening Experience [Re: blackbearhunter]
      #25162 - 26/01/05 12:55 AM

My prayers for a speedy and a complete recovery to you and your family.Thanks for making us think again before we shoot at anything.

Best regards
Dantri

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #25163 - 26/01/05 12:59 AM

Vlad,

A shocking story! I hope you get well soon, and thank you for the warning.

Erik

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Frighttening Experience [Re: EricD]
      #25169 - 26/01/05 02:04 AM

It's not just fmjs, I've had pistol bullets "return" back to me from a steel plate. I never shot the damn things. Although I love the gong it makes.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

canada
.275 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Loc: Northern Ontario Canada
Re: Frighttening Experience [Re: bonanza]
      #25176 - 26/01/05 04:58 AM

Several years ago after sighting in I shot a steel plate at 50 yrds. with a 30-06. The bullet turned inside out as can be seen by the rifling marks on the inside returned and took out my left eye.I was standing at the time and if you think except for the recoil the bullet was headed back for the barrel.At the time I was shooting a particular brand of silver tip factory ammo.I sent the ammo and spoke to the company on the phone. They attempted to duplicate the accident but were unable to get the bullet to come back in the same manner.I will not shoot at anyting that is not paper or a game animal. You could not pay me enough money to shoot at any steel plate at any distance now. We had shot hundreds of rounds at this plate before.

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Frighttening Experience [Re: canada]
      #25180 - 26/01/05 07:21 AM

I'm very sorry for vladimir and consider him very lucky to have only come out as badly as he did.

I don't want to hijack his thread, but I've shot them too and love to shoot the steel plates with the big stuff.

I guess the question is: does it matter how the plate is supported? In other words, if it were rigid and unable to swing - I would think that would increase the likliehood of a bounce-back.

Mine are welded with chain and allowed to swing with the impact of the bullet.

Just an academic question... I'll consider myself lucky thus far, and this one of those lessons that didn't come the "hard way" for me!

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #25182 - 26/01/05 07:28 AM

Vladimir,

Sorry to hear about your injury.

Hope you are feeling better and up shooting again soon!

Chasseur

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

ATHiker07
.275 member

Reged: 10/12/04
Loc: Florida
      #25190 - 26/01/05 09:32 AM

vladimir,
Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Not many people can point at a scar and say they were hit by a .458. I will avoid "rebounding" targets in the future.

--------------------
Take a child hunting, they are the future of our sport!

ridgerunner_ky
.224 member

Reged: 23/01/05
Loc: Kentucky, U.S.
      #25205 - 26/01/05 05:29 PM

First of all I will pray for you a speedy, and complete recovery.
I am only about 120 miles from Louisville so maybe after you recover, maybe one day we could get together and shoot at paper though..

SOUTHPAWTOO
.275 member

Reged: 04/12/04
Loc: Indiana, USA
Re: Frighttening Experience [Re: ridgerunner_ky]
      #25214 - 26/01/05 11:20 PM

Dear Vlad,
Gosh Pard, I sure am sorry. I, like the others do pray for a speedy recovery. I'm only about an hours drive north of you near Madison, IN. If you give me a shout, I'd like to come visit you. (maybe bring you a "get well pizza" or something) Also, inasmuch as "Ridgerunner" is not too far away, maybe we could get him to join us.
Your incident has certainly given me a reason to reflect on my own shooting. Again, sorry for your accident but thank you for sharing it with us. Don
(give me a call if you'd like, 812-866-2406)

--------------------
SP2

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
      #25215 - 26/01/05 11:29 PM

...yes, vad...wishing you a speedy recovery and much gratitude for your warning to the nitroexpress forum participants...

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #25219 - 27/01/05 12:47 AM

Get well soon mate.
You can't keep a good man down.
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Frighttening Experience [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #25225 - 27/01/05 02:54 AM

I also wish you a speedy recovery, it certainly must have been a frightening experiance.

I have also been struck by a rebounding slug. I got hit on the thigh by a .38 SPL wadcutter that rebounded off a log while rabbit hunting. The lead bullet hit hard enough to imprint the weave of the fabric of my trousers,. It didn't penetrate, only bruised. Range from the log was less than 10 yards. The ammo was factory WW Match ammo at about 770fps

I shot Handgun Metallic silhouettes for several years. As Match Director and Range Officer I had the occasion too follow up on rebounding slug reports. Most occurred at the 50 meter chickens. Some involved pieces of jacket material coming back. Some involved complete or partial slugs coming back, I don't recall a one that involved full power ammo, with an exception. The majority of rebounds were solid FMJ silhouette bullets. Low velocity was a key factor in kick back with the Pistol rounds.

The exception was our practice target. We found some very heavy plate 1"+ and set up some rigid mounted practice targets. We noted very early on the spatter pattern from the rigid 50 meter chicken was very different than the free standing chicken. Bullet spatter back almost to the firing line. We removed that rigid target and put up a hanging target and the problem was resolved.

I have a hard and fast rule. I never shoot without eye protection. Simple now, my old Geezer eyes require glasses to see. But back in my younger days and especially shooting sillhouettes I used eye protection. Our silhouette Club Mandated eye protection.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Frighttening Experience [Re: DoubleD]
      #25231 - 27/01/05 05:23 AM

A salutory lesson indeed.....thanks for sharing it...

Had a similar experience once with a Kangaroo!

While attemting to put down a cripple with a 22RF..... (don't ask what type!)....drew a bead on his head....fired...then instantly hit on the leg by the bullet!

It had entered the eye socket....ricocheted around and came straight back at me!

Stung badly and left a bruise....but if it had hit me in the eye????

BigRx
.224 member

Reged: 26/12/04
Loc: Idaho
      #25235 - 27/01/05 07:56 AM

Vlad,

I echo everyone's best wishes for a speedy recovery. You were indeed blessed that you didn't receive lasting or debilitating injuries from that BIG slug.

I hope all on the board learn from your experience! I no longer shoot steel under 50 yards with a rifle after an experience with the dinky .17 Remington. At 35 yards or so the little 25 grain bullet was almost penetrating 1/2" steel. I thought just a little closer would do it and set the steel just 15 yards away. At the shot I felt a sharp sting in my belly. I passed it off as a biting insect, but a time later I looked down to a blood spot!

Almost half of that little .17 jacket was stuck on the surface of my belly and required disloding with my pocket knife.

I guess the moral of this story for us all is that even the littlest or fastest of our rifles are not safe on steel up close. I thought the fragile little .17 disintergrated to vapor against steel But It didn't.......

BigRx

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7203

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com