Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 416 Rigby feeding problems

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
CZ_hunter
.275 member

Reged: 08/07/13
Loc: Prague, Czech Republic
416 Rigby feeding problems
      #238727 - 05/12/13 11:03 AM

At the shooting range I have witnessed guys very often struggling with the CZ 550 rifle chambered for the 416 Rigby as it was obviously not easy for them to feed it properly. I wonder whether it is caused by the possible lack of action smoothness or the reason is the 45-degree shoulder.
By the way I have never had this issue with my custom 400 H&H rifle.

Any thoughts?

CZ

--------------------
CZ

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: 416 Rigby feeding problems [Re: CZ_hunter]
      #238728 - 05/12/13 11:27 AM

Feeding issues as in
Bolt Binding or
rounds not being picked up or
rounds being picked up and not
feeding into chamber smoothly ?

Guns could be rough.

On the third one, could be the floor plate isn't sitting right.

416 Shouldn't be a problem, they normally feed fine.

Edited by 500Nitro (05/12/13 03:24 PM)

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: 416 Rigby feeding problems [Re: 500Nitro]
      #238731 - 05/12/13 02:20 PM

Does sound unusual for the 416Rigby. If you had said 458WM, then I could offer my experiences...

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: 416 Rigby feeding problems [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #238740 - 05/12/13 08:11 PM

Never had a problem with My CZ550 in 416 Rigby excepy the Woodleigh Hydros. Originaly not a problem then a slight hitch with the round on the left when bolt worked slowly. Changed back to original seating depth and slick as.

What rounds are they using? Working the bolt slow or fast? Is it with just one rifle or several? What age/how long have the owners had them? What magazine box do they have, the 375H&H or 458Lott. (3down or 4 down in the mag).

Check where the front of the mag box fits to the feed ramp. Check the mag floor plate is the right way round, same with the mag spring.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: 416 Rigby feeding problems [Re: Rule303]
      #238741 - 05/12/13 08:24 PM

Rule

I think you have covered mos things I know of.

Seating depth is one thing to look at and as you say,
working bolt fast or slow.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #238743 - 05/12/13 09:26 PM

My CZ 550 in .404 Jeffery had a feed issue from the start & the worse trigger I've ever had bar none!
It would not pick up any rounds at all; the ordinary trigger pull was terrible & the set trigger was hit & miss affair, being only sometimes it would actually work.
As it was a display gun I didn't have much of a come back & it was bought sight unseen.
I ended up putting a tapered block in the back of the mag well (held with a lock-tighted screw)to force the follower to tilt forwards.

I got the idea of a bloke in the US who had the same issue as myself!
Yes I did try to stretch the z spring but to no avail!
Once this was done it functioned perfectly & I didn't lose any mag capacity (5), but I have to seat my cast projectiles a bit deeper that I prefer, I'm not sure how they will go when I load them up a bit (Group 2 loads for BGR) hopefully they will not seat too far back into the powder space!

As a safari classic it should have come factory bedded & better wood - well better than a work gun timber than I got! I can live with those issues - but the thing that annoys me more than anything is that CZ (Winchester Australia is their agent here) didn't want to do anything about it - I didn't even a single reply to my emails!
These are not cheap rifles (well compared to some of the stuff you guys have); but these should be at least functioning correctly when they leave the factory.
Not Happy Jan!
I feel sorry for the poor buggers with they .416's!
It's a shame CZ have such a good reputation here in OZ, they are good rifles - just need a few fixes that's all....like a bolt disassembly like the old Mauser, coning apart totally with no tools!
And some to check that the bloody thing works as it should be fore it leaves the factory!
Regards
93x64mm

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: 416 Rigby feeding problems [Re: 93x64mm]
      #238744 - 05/12/13 11:08 PM

Who did you buy it off ?

Entitled to give if back if not fit for the purpose.

Edited by 500Nitro (05/12/13 11:09 PM)

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #238794 - 06/12/13 07:15 AM

500Nitro,
it certainly pissed me off initially, because a mate had one of these in .505 Gibbs & it was an absolute gem & boy it was accurate! With all the 'hype' that comes with these frankly I expected a lot more than I got.
But I guess it won me over in the end when I got it working perfectly after a few simple fixes, it loads & ejects flawlessly now! Maybe not super slick yet, but I did it myself & I'm not that confident at doing this type of engineering. Guess its a rough diamond

We have a good gunsmith here in Townsville, he's done a lot of work for me in 30 years, for a modest fee Owen got the trigger working correctly & bedded the action properly.
You do need good bedding with a .404 & certainly know it when she goes off, especially off a bench doing testing - but this rifle is showing rather good promise in the accuracy department!
Thanks to Von Gruff - your load data & projectiles worked a treat!
Still to settle on a normal group 2 load with both Woodies & my 400gn cast projectiles yet; guess I'm a sucker when it comes to an accurate rifle, I'm not a good shot by any standard but if I do my part right I can give a few blokes a fright in comps every blue moon!
After all it is a .404!
Cheers
93x64mm

dok
.275 member

Reged: 21/04/05
Loc: NT, Australia
      #240868 - 20/01/14 12:26 AM

I purchased a new CZ in 416 Rigby in 2006. I had a lot of problems with it...

The bolt would bind when drawing it rearwards (with and without a round). It happened a lot.

The quality of finish on the rifle was just terrible.

The two flip up sights were not in line with the fixed sight. The second sight was to the left of the fixed sight and the third sight was to the right of the fixed sight, I could have adjusted it I suppose but I really should not have to

Even the wood to metal fit was rather poor.

I sent the rifle back to the Dealer and he told me that he could only reproduce the binding once or twice and told me that it must have been the way I was drawing back the bolt???

I told him to get stuffed and if that bolt binds when I am standing in front of a buffalo coming at me, there would be a world of hurt, not just for me.

I demanded my money back and I was refunded the price minus the freight I had to pay to get the rifle back down to him...

I was happy enough that I got rid of that rifle. So disappointing.

I love my BRNOs. I have two early ZKK 458wm models and I still keep an eye out for good late 60s or early 70s models. The new CZ doesn't even come close

That was in 2006, I thought CZ might have lifted their game by now.

As I liked the 416 Rigby (and I had 100 rounds) I purchased a second hand Ruger M77. Great strong rifle that I never had any problems with.

If you can get a good condition early BRNO ZKK you wont be disappointed...

--------------------
DOK

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: 416 Rigby feeding problems [Re: dok]
      #240884 - 20/01/14 08:35 AM

Winchester Australia are the worst importers to deal with. They are ignorant, arrogant, stupid, rude and totally apathetic. Once they have sold something, trying to get warranty is near impossible as they never return calls or emails. The majority of gun shops hate dealing with them as well.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 416 Rigby feeding problems [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #240886 - 20/01/14 09:10 AM

My late buddy Brad didn't get to shoot his .416 Rigby Ruger M77 much - but never had a feeding problem with it - nothing but handloads mind you, with 400gr. Hornady softs.
The rifle itself, I thought was a bit sharp edged and bulky- both easily remedied, I guess.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Kiwi_bloke
.333 member

Loc: New Zealand
Re: 416 Rigby feeding problems [Re: DarylS]
      #241029 - 22/01/14 04:43 PM

My now sold Ruger 77 .416 Rigby had feeding problems. It was an early model with no barrel band. I asked a gunsmith to smooth out the inner magazine walls and that sorted it. Never a problem after that. I also replaced the front sight with a larger white bead from New England to be easier to see than the little brass factory one. Also had another gunsmith put a thin platinum line on the rear sight to help quickly align them, (if using silver, it can tarnish). I found that quick detachable mounts by Warne were perfect as they fit straight on without tools and incorporate a recoil lug and look good too. Also fitted a 30mm tube dangerous game scope which, on the larger action, looked more appropriate. Also, it had a ocular ring that was spring loaded if it came back in recoil and made contact. Lastly, fitted a wide, soft leather carry sling!

It shot well, but I soon learned to hold the butt firmly against the shoulder. Now looking for a Heym in the same calibre - and a mortgage to pay for it. They Heym has a 5-round capacity, (+1 up?), the Ruger just 3 all up. Can't recall the CZ capacity. The world's largest elephant was shot with a purpose built .416 Rigby, and Commander Blunt shot 1,000 elephant with one, so I'm not sure why anyone would need anything bigger.

FuzzBazz
.224 member

Reged: 20/03/07
Loc: South East Australia
      #242578 - 17/02/14 09:42 PM

Quote:

If you had said 458WM, then I could offer my experiences...

Please offer away. I just bought one and it doesn't like feeding the super-x 510 grain much.

buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
Re: 416 Rigby feeding problems [Re: Kiwi_bloke]
      #248876 - 12/06/14 08:32 PM

After reading all these posts, I was a little worried that I might have feeding problems with my newly acquired Ruger 77 RSM in 416 Rigby. No Problems what so ever. Feeds perfectly.

I worked up a fun load with a Hornady 400g bullet using Accurate 5744. At 2000 feet per sec its a "hoot to shoot" with only 34 ft lbs of recoil. Rifle weighs 10.8 lbs w/ Leupold 1-4x scope and loaded.

I have several "one hole" groups at 100 yds.

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

375Brno
.333 member

Reged: 18/10/05
Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Re: 416 Rigby feeding problems [Re: buckstix]
      #248908 - 13/06/14 11:03 AM

I was already a member of this forum when I started looking for a 375H&H. My choice came down to a CZ550 (new) or look around for a ZKK602.
Based on a lot of research mostly on this site I eventually found my first ZKK in 375H&H. I now have 6 ZKKs ranging from 7x57 up to 416Rigby.

No issues with any of them. Most people I spoke to simply said that they thought the ZKKs were better. Has worked well for me.
Does not help the OP however just my experiences.

Rick

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Re: 416 Rigby feeding problems [Re: FuzzBazz]
      #248912 - 13/06/14 01:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If you had said 458WM, then I could offer my experiences...

Please offer away. I just bought one and it doesn't like feeding the super-x 510 grain much.

Yes, that large round nose of the 510gn projectile gives problems in many Mauser action derived rifles.

Okay, the problem is that there is a large recess inside the action (right hand side looking from the rear of the rifle), where the extractor sits when the action is closed. (There is a recess on the other side also for the locking lug but it is not as big and doesn't cause any problems.)

The CZ magazine is staggered and those rounds coming from the left hand side only (which happen to be the "even" numbered rounds in the magazine) feed at an angle that points towards the large recess on the right hand side. The rounds with fat stubby projectiles get driven and snagged in this recess - only just but it's enough to cause a jam.

The relatively short length of the round accentuates the angle of the cartridge as it comes up the feed ramp, making it more likely to jam (the longer length of the 458Lott cartridge gives a lower feed angle and avoids the jamming issue - I believe this is why CZ USA automatically re-chamber the 458WM to 458Lott, and the rifles have both cartridge designation stampings on the barrel. CZ rifles sold in Australia come in via CZ USA).

One other way around the jamming issue is to modify the feed ramp to try and guide the cartridge towards away from the recess - not always successful though.

My 458WM was bought as a new rifle by someone else and they had the ramp modified, without success. The owner got a refund from the dealer, as a warranty issue, and the dealer was then going to part the rifle out (get more money this way) - I ended up buying it cheap before this happened. I was going to fiddle around with spacers in the magazine (not sure if this would've worked) but ended up just using the Woodleigh 400gn PP - their spire shape avoids the jamming 99% of the time.

I can clear the jam quickly now (the remedial action is just like "fretting" a guitar). I would not, however, rely on it if I was going to hunt something large and angry, but it is fine for BGR competition.

Note that even in the Brno 602 days, you had a 50/50 chance of getting a 458WM that would jam - only this cartridge though.

Edited by mauserand9mm (13/06/14 01:04 PM)

BwanaBob
.300 member

Reged: 03/07/03
Loc: Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
      #252725 - 26/08/14 06:05 PM

This comment is a bit late, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth.

I have a number of ZKK602 rifles but one in particular has been rebarrelled to .404 Jeffery and, without any modifications to the magazine, it fed about 95% of the time. The problem was that some of the rounds would not rise up quite high enough, at the rear of the magazine, to be picked up by the bolt. As I pushed the bolt forward, it would just skim over the rim of the case. However, it only took a little careful polishing of the feed rails and it now feeds 100%.

When I had this rifle built I was debating between the .416 Rigby and the .404 Jeffery and I went with the Jeffery because:

1. I can fit an extra .404 in the magazine than I could a .416 Rigby (5 rounds fit in my .404 as opposed to 4 rounds of .416 Rigby), and

2. I suspected that getting the .404 to feed would be a whole lot easier than getting the .416 Rigby to feed - and it sounds like I was right.

I am amazed that a factory CZ550 in .404 Jeffery has feed problems when it seems like an easy thing for the factory to fix, especially at the cost of one of these rifles! In fact, it is criminal that any factory rifle can be shipped with feeding problems!

p.s. I am also curious as to why I can fit more rounds into my ZKK602 than can be fitted into the CZ550s. My .375H&H holds six (6) rounds in the magazine!

--------------------
"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Re: 416 Rigby feeding problems [Re: BwanaBob]
      #252738 - 26/08/14 07:45 PM

Quote:

....p.s. I am also curious as to why I can fit more rounds into my ZKK602 than can be fitted into the CZ550s. My .375H&H holds six (6) rounds in the magazine!

The 375H&Hmag and 458WM CZ550s will hold 6 rounds in the magazine, but both are specified at 5 shot capacity.

Kano
.300 member

Reged: 09/07/03
Loc: East Africa
      #252764 - 27/08/14 07:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

....p.s. I am also curious as to why I can fit more rounds into my ZKK602 than can be fitted into the CZ550s. My .375H&H holds six (6) rounds in the magazine!

The 375H&Hmag and 458WM CZ550s will hold 6 rounds in the magazine, but both are specified at 5 shot capacity.

On a 375/458 CZ and Brno, when the action and the bottom metal are fitted together with the magazine box tight between them, you can usually barely squeeze a sixth round in, but not close the bolt over it. Some CZ stocks are generously dimensioned internally, and there is an additional 1-2 mm of play for the magazine box. That's why in some 602 and 550 you can fit six rounds.

--------------------
Philip

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

Reged: 11/06/05
Loc: Sydney Australia
Re: 416 Rigby feeding problems [Re: CZ_hunter]
      #253082 - 02/09/14 10:48 PM

A lot of the problem comes CRF.

If you want perfect feeding out of then get one of the 378 based Wbys or the HS Precision. Both are in line feed and no complications of trying to get a case rim to slide under an extractor and the case rim is at an angle.

If the case rim is damaged or to thin or to thick then you are fucked with CRF.

Mike

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Re: 416 Rigby feeding problems [Re: Kano]
      #253112 - 03/09/14 09:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

On a 375/458 CZ and Brno, when the action and the bottom metal are fitted together with the magazine box tight between them, you can usually barely squeeze a sixth round in, but not close the bolt over it. Some CZ stocks are generously dimensioned internally, and there is an additional 1-2 mm of play for the magazine box. That's why in some 602 and 550 you can fit six rounds.

I hadn't really though about it but that makes sense. I'm sure I can close the bolt over the 6th round, but there's no room left to try and squeeze a 7th under the extractor for 6 in mag + 1 in chamber.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8838

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com