Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info [Re: buckstix]
      #247327 - 11/05/14 08:55 PM

Buckstix,

That is one more beauty in your gunsafe! Absolutely gorgeous little gun! You, sir, have great taste!

Thanks for sharing pics and good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #247349 - 12/05/14 02:20 AM

Hello mehulkamdar,

Thanks. I'm building up a Dangerous Game Rifle collection. First, I always buy what I like, and then later, sort into sub-categories.

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

bigdog
.375 member

Reged: 05/02/06
Loc: Southern Illinois
      #247610 - 21/05/14 09:24 AM

I have never seen a 475 a &m rifle before. Only read about them. Looks like a pretty cool gun. Let us know how she shoots. What does it weigh??

--------------------
Kyle, I love you buddy, Dad

buckstix
.400 member

Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info [Re: bigdog]
      #247927 - 27/05/14 03:28 AM

Hello bigdog,

Weight is 10 lbs - 7oz - 22" bbl - 13-1/2" LOP.

Shoots great. I have not shot MAX loads yet, only moderate hand loads.

--------------------

bigdog
.375 member

#248756 - 10/06/14 08:46 AM

Buckstix, could you pm me with the costs on this gun?? I would appreciate it.

--------------------

sixshooter
.224 member

Reged: 10/01/07
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #250463 - 15/07/14 08:44 AM

Any updates? Or are you recovering from the recoil still? lol

Very nice rifle!

buckstix
.400 member

Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info [Re: sixshooter]
      #259692 - 30/01/15 11:02 PM

Hello sixshooter,

As a matter of fact, I do have an update. Many months after starting this post, out of the clear-blue, I got a phone call from a fellow who told me that he knew the man that had this rifle custom built back in 1972. Apparently he had seen my post seeking information, and recognised my rifle.

So, nearly a year after purchasing the rifle, I was in contact with the man "JDL" whos initials were engraved on the rifle. James was now in his 80's and he gave me a full account of the rifle's birth and history. James was personal friends with all the people associated with the rifle's building.

He said that it was the 2nd (and last) 475 A&M built by A&M (Atkinson & Marquart). It seems that a 3rd rifle was started, (built on an action much weaker than this mighty Brevex) but it blew-up during testing and severely injured Marquart. A&M never again built a complete rifle in this caliber, although a few 475 barrels were made by A&M for other builders, one of which we know ended up in the hands of Fred Barnes.

Here are some highlights from a letter I got from James, telling of the rifle and his adventures:

"...As promised, please find the photograph of the Bull Elephant I shot in Kenya in 1972. He was carrying 107 lbs and 98 lbs of Ivory respectively and was estimated to be 55 years old, and approximately 10,000 lbs to 12,000 lbs in weight, “which was a very above average bull” according to my guide, Ronnie Boy.

Also as promised, please find my .475 A and M Magnum cartridge and a brief history of its development, which I had the unique opportunity to play a small part.

To begin, you will note that the headstamp at the base of the cartridge displays .378 Weatherby Magnum, which was Weatherby’s original case after he had contracted from Norma Products for his Brass in the early nineteen fifty’s.

I first met Bill Atkinson and Paul Marquart of A and M Barrel Company in 1957 and continued with our association through the years up and past the time I had acquired my Sport Store in Escondido.

They had become interested in a cartridge case obtained by Roy Weatherby, who at the time, "I Was informed by A and M Barrel Company that they had imported a substantial amount of cases from Norma Products in Sweden". The original case origin was I was told, was the .416 Rigby case using the huge Brevex Magnum Mauser Action, as mine was also built on, at a later date.....

....Roy Weatherby after receiving the cases altered them to .375 Bore diameter, however for marketing purposes, advertised his new caliber as the Weatherby .378 Magnum. The reality of this was, that there is now, or never was any bullets offered in the market place that miked out at .378 diameter. Being a shrewd businessman, he probably "thought that .378 and later .460 sounded more exotic in the firearms market place". At any rate we finally found our case. A & M then went to Norma products and convinced them to ship the cases direct to A and M.

The cases came to A and M with the same Weatherby features. The same case taper, which was I believe was 12%. The belt was there and the extractor groove cut in. When I began the reloading process, I had been furnished new dies from A and M and a bullet puller which I used quite often to pull the bullet up or down to get the right head space. I did this by engaging the bullet in the puller, then moving the bullet up or down in the case until I could just barely see the land marks of the rifling on the bullet. I then set the bullet seating die, and had a perfect fit with my Hollywood turret reloading press.

Later when A and M ordered again from Norma, they acquired the new .460 Weatherby Cases, as approximately ten years had elapsed since our their order. Since the .460 Weatherby Case was quite similar now to Norma's first order, I only had to form fire the case, and run a neck expanding die furnished by A & M and that took care of the major case alterations, other than to form fire the case with a light load to it’s present usable configuration...."

"....When the A&M's engineering began, they went up to .505 dia. using at first the old .505 Gibbs bullets. I believe they had a small quantity of 750 grs. bullets left over from their earlier testing. Also, I heard Fred Barnes contributed a few. Fred Barnes was at the beginning of the .475 A & M project and he was a tremendous craftsman. I did some of the test firing with the Gibbs's bullets, and finally told the boys at A& M that in my opinion the cartridge was just too powerful to be practical, and the only way a human being could conceivably use the thing with reasonable accuracy and not develop a flinch, would be to have a weapon weighing in at an excess of twenty pounds, which would not be practical out in the bush. They concurred. Even in its present configuration, my eye doctor .... who himself was a hunter made the comment, “that the .475 was a detached retina looking for a place to happen”.

A&M then contacted Fred Barnes of Barnes Custom Bullets again and he ended up developing three bullets for the .475. A 600 grs. full metal jacket bullet, which he made, using heavy duty copper tubing, and A 500 grs. bullet using the same jacket thickness, but having an exposed soft point, and a 400 grs. soft point for thinner smaller game.

The 600 grs. Pill worked very well, only bending the points a bit, which gave us maximum penetration on thick skinned game such as Elephant and Cape buffalo, all of the Barnes bullets of course, miked out at exactly .475.... "

"....I believe only two of the .475 A & M barreled actions were made for the .475 and of course loading dies came with the barreled action in the white. In the meantime Jerry Krasne of Krasne’s Gun Shop in San Diego had swiped Nels Hultgren, Weather by's head stock maker, Nels ultimately had done the stock for my rifle. .... Jerry hired Nels to do our stock work and we both took on most of A and M's barreled actions and we had a flourishing custom rifle business for a few years. We were very fortunate to acquire Nels, who was reputed to be one of the world’s finest stock makers.

Regarding my rifle, due its tremendous recoil, I split two very fine Screw Bean Mesquite Stocks. The last split occurring behind the action which had a danger factor big time. This problem forced us to silver solder and Allen head screw another recoil lug to the bottom of the barrel with a cross bolt behind the action to equalize the recoil.

Also due to the recoil, The Brevex Action has a magazine floor plate release, a protruding escutcheon device that works by pressing the back of one’s index finger or thumb firmly against the inside front rear of the trigger guard and the floor plate swings down with the four cartridges held in the magazine. Unfortunately, with this extreme recoil, after each shot the recoil would force my trigger finger forward hitting the magazine escutcheon, releasing the cartridges on the greenery.

(This problem was corrected by A&M adding the secondary spring loaded locking mechanism seen at the bottom of the triggerguard.)

In all fairness, I must make this comment regarding the light weight of my rifle, which including the sling, weighed in at about nine and one half pounds. The boys at A and M, including myself, for the most part, used the formula, that one pound of weapon weight equals approximately 10 pounds of shoulder recoil. Regretfully while the exterior diameter of the barrel was very large, it was not quite large enough, as we had not taken into consideration the bore diameter, which of course had no weight, containing only air. Unfortunately, it was too late to change. Another two pounds would have toned the recoil down a bit. Also another two inches of barrel length; this however was hotly debated by my guide Ronnie Boy. Ronnie felt that the additional two inches would have made my rifle too unwieldy.

Regarding this topic, Ronnie said “that we are not snipers, regarding dangerous game, Elephant and especially Cape buffalo; I want you to properly stalk to forty yards and place your bullet. He went on to smile and said jokingly, that he had not lost a client yet”.

Ronnie then went on to make the point again regarding our weeks stay at the Norfolk hotel in Nairobi, Kenya. There we had met Ronnie and our outfitter, who had made all the prior arrangements in the Delmar Bar in the Norfolk Hotel. The Norfolk Hotel has historically been the beginning point for most of the Safari's in Kenya since men began to hunt.

As we sat down in the bar, a very historic with and large room, I couldn't help but notice that there was black crepe paper strung all around the upper moldings of the room. I of course asked "what gives with the black paper and the answer was not what I had expected".

Ronnie began "A well heeled and important couple were on a 30 day hunt like ours and they came on to a very large respectable bull Elephant. The guide instructed the man were to aim and he fired. The animal went down immediately and the guide immediately told his client to stay put while he went up to inspect. He poked his rifle around the animal's head for a few moments, when suddenly without warning, an eye opened and the Bull's trunk went around the guide, lifting him and smashing him against all the thorn trees within an approximate 10 foot circle".

The client's wife was hysterical, the group is approximately 900 miles from Nairobi, and to top it off, a new ruling had just been imposed from the game commission, that a black assistant hunter must be second in command with every safari. Even though there was a language barrier, He got the party of 25, trackers, skinners, cooks etc. back to Nairobi.

Ronnie then had said "when you get unpacked, I want to take you the museum of Natural History, an Elephant's Head is full of air cells and this incident goes to show how cautious one must be even when your game is down. Always put another shot in him" It sure made a believer out of me".

Back to the cartridge, Ignition was accomplished with CC&I Magnum Primers, and that stabilized the load where it remains today .... I elected to use the Barnes 600 grain bullet, I felt, and still do, that it had more stopping power, due its retained kinetic energy inside the animal. Elephants and Cape Buffalos are extremely hard to stop!

Either way, Ronnie Boy would not fire my .475, as he was somewhat small in stature and weighed around 160 lbs. He would always state, when I offered the rifle to him to take a shot,”that the “the bloody thing kills at one end and maims at the other”. I of course, in good natured jest would comment about his truly magnificent .450/500 double rifle, a beautiful rifle, which in all fairness, while not the most powerful weapon around, was still well up to the task with, “I don't know why you brought that little thing along, you already have a jack for the Toyota”. Finally Mrs. got tired of the gun talk and asked that the topic be changed, as it had gone on for a thousand miles from Nairobi, heading north, to Lake Rudolph, where I shot the Cape buffalo, which was the highlight of our safari.

To begin, my wife ... and I were in the Toyota, Ronnie was driving. I remember drowsing off, when Ronnie braked the Toyota suddenly, Look! A line of approximately fifty natives were on our right coming down the hill about one thousand feet in height or so above us, in a kind of serpentine, single file, avoiding some deep ravines. They evidently had seen our convoy of vehicles from the top of the hill. It was truly an impressive sight, highly decorated shields, and spears from the local forge in the area.

They stopped at our Toyota and the chief, a tall gangly fellow walked over to Ronnie, who had told all of us "to stay put" Then, I could hear the Swahili, which Ronnie was fluent in, along with hand waving and pointing from the natives. Ronnie then ran over to the Toyota, "Come on, There is a Cape Buffalo, a Rogue Bull that is marauding the village, and has killed two native children, and every attempt to get the kids's bodies out resulted in the animal charging the natives. when we began to look for him, we began to realize just how cunning this animal was, "He had back tracked crossing over our tracks several times, according to our trackers".

But all things must come to an end, as the bull eventually was spotted in a clearing by one of our trackers, and I was able to get a heart shot off with a second round following, remembering Ronnie's stern lecture earlier, regarding shot placement, "stating that a side, or heart shot is almost a necessity. In the event of a charge, Buffalo most always lower their head, either to the right or left, covering most of the chest area, and of course the massive Boss, or center area of the horns is out".

I then asked Ronnie, "what do you do? " He then replied, "you just pour the lead to him, and hope like hell that you are able to break him down". Therefore, a front shot must only be attempted if the animal is standing or at a slow walk. At any rate, this was a tremendous Bull, and Ronnie stated later, that they are responsible for more deaths then any other animal in Kenya, that even the Lions will not attack them on a one on one basis. Only a hungry pride will attack, and then reluctantly, if it is a bull.

Our excitement did not end with the shooting of Bull. Almost immediately, the entire village gathered to divide up the meat, and the arguments began, mostly over the Intestines which a delicacy, prized for cooking fat. After a few moments of arguments and waving of Machetes, Ronnie said, " this is getting out of hand, fire a few round over their heads, to calm them down." It was quite an experience.

Also, another experience comes to mind. Before we took the big bull, Ronnie had stopped at a small village, where we picked up a local man that knew the area, to use him for a guide. .... The man I would say was in his seventies, very short gray hair, but like all the natives very athletic. We had found out later that Ronnie had taken one of the trackers to guard the Toyota, as the Natives have a propensity for cutting the tires off the make their sandals.

As we were going op a rather steep hill, suddenly we heard a snort, then I swear, I could feel the ground tremble, as this very large Buffalo made what Ronnie Boy said "was a Mock, or a diagonal charge a few yards behind ... Lambushwee". ... Ronnie ... stating that we probably startled him more that us. Anyway the bull vanished and Lambushwee was relegated to guarding the Toyota.

I believe Peterson Publishing did an article on the .475 many years back, in which the article referred to it as “The Dinosaur Flattener” and the name stuck. Also, P.O. Ackley referred to the cartridge in his loading manuals with the comment, “those are only individuals who are expecting to be confronted by animals with supernatural strength that would consider using this cartridge”

The Boys at A & M said “he was jealous, that he had been trying to develop a .450 African cartridge for years on a straight necked blown out version of the. 375 Magnum case, which did not have near enough powder capacity for dangerous African game.”

To my knowledge, it (475 A&M) still remains one of the most powerful shoulder cartridges for sporting purposes in the world, but in all fairness, it never really was a mass produced rifle, but then, what African Rifle is mass produced......."

I am so pleased to have found the builder and the history of this unique rifle. Now I'm hoping that someone recalls the article that appeared in the 1970's that referred to this rifle as “The Dinosaur Flattener”. Someone - please - find that article.

Jim sent me over 120 photos of his African Safari. Many of them show my rifle with the annimals he harvested. Here are a few for your interest.

--------------------

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
      #260077 - 07/02/15 10:18 AM

Great story, but he certainly hypes up the power of the cartridge haha.

It's great you have the background on the rifle, and pictures from it's "life".

Goodness me elephants are huge!

--------------------

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info [Re: Ash]
      #260079 - 07/02/15 10:29 AM

Thanks for the story Buckstix. A very interesting read.

buckstix
.400 member

Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info [Re: Claydog]
      #260096 - 07/02/15 07:22 PM

Hello Ash, Hello Claydog,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am very fortunate to have discovered this rifle's history along with the many photographs from Jim's Hunting adventures. Many of the photographs show the Trophy
Tusks from his elephant.

Back in the 70's these were considered very large tusks, being slightly under, and over 100lbs. Today, tusks this huge are almost nonexistant, with 70 pounds being considered large.

Unfortunately the photos I've posted are now 3rd generation and have lost a lot of detail, but I think they still tell the story.

--------------------

bigdog
.375 member

#260877 - 21/02/15 11:22 AM

Love the story and the rifle!

--------------------

buckstix
.400 member

#292693 - 28/12/16 12:20 PM

Hello bigdog,

Thanks for the reply.

I love rifles with stories. This one has a good one.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #292694 - 28/12/16 01:25 PM

Nice Rifle! Bit too big for me - or I'm too old for it.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

buckstix
.400 member

Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info [Re: DarylS]
      #292707 - 28/12/16 02:36 PM

Hello Daryl_S

Thanks for the reply.

It is Big alright, but I've learned you don't have to fill the case to the top of the mouth with powder. I have a "fun load" that I enjoy, and a MAX load when needed.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #292710 - 28/12/16 02:55 PM

Glad I don't need one that big - it would hurt to much to protect myself - LOL.

My Marlin, Winchester 1876 and .375/06iMP give me all I'm likely to need, here at home.

There was a time, not that long ago actually, the I really liked shooting the belters. OK - it was 20 years ago. I'm not 46 any more.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

buckstix
.400 member

Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info [Re: DarylS]
      #292716 - 28/12/16 03:34 PM

Hello Daryl_S

thanks for the reply.

This is actually one on my "mid-size" calibers, with 300WM at the bottom, and 700NE at the top.

I see you are from BC. I spent 5 years there in the early 70's. First in Burnaby (Haney) and lastly in Cranbrook. Did all my huinting there with a .243, 350 mag, and a 7mm mag, all "little stuff.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 58 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 22227

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com