Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: CZ550 505 Gibbs - 2 quick questions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
billeastern
.275 member

Reged: 28/11/08
Loc: New York
CZ550 505 Gibbs - 2 quick questions
      #226498 - 06/03/13 01:11 PM

Hello gents,

I recently bought one of these from a gent who never used it and am very happy with fit and finish. Good piece of wood and I like the rugged matte finish. Had 2 quick questions - 1. do all the 505 Gibbs guns have mercury recoil reducers? Is there any way to tell if this rifle has it? 2. There is no tool to undo cross bolts to remove stock. I generally like to take my stock off once a year to clean metal. I called CZ custom shop and they don't have one and I was told not to worry about taking stock off. Am I being old fashioned here or is that general consensus? I live in a dry climate and don't get rifle wet. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Bill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: CZ550 505 Gibbs - 2 quick questions [Re: billeastern]
      #226503 - 06/03/13 01:56 PM

Well I'm not familiar with the 505 Gibbs version but have owned two CZ's, one in .416 Rigby with two cross bolts.

I can't help with recoil reducers.

Stock 'cross bolts' are usually part of the furniture (stock) and don't attach to the barreled action. As long as moisture doesn't penetrate past the bolt heads, they are fine to leave in-situ. A little stock oil like tru-oil or wax over the bolt heads before a major trip, is usually enough.

You should still be able to remove the barreled action from the stock for cleaning and oiling by undoing the forend and tang screws from under the stock.

CZ's are great rifles, some people find the stock wood not as hard as they prefer and there have been reports of stocks splitting on some forums from people who do not understand how bedding works. If you are used to a nice trigger, get the factory trigger rebuilt by someone who knows what they are doing. You will be amazed at the difference.

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: CZ550 505 Gibbs - 2 quick questions [Re: tophet1]
      #226505 - 06/03/13 02:29 PM

I believe that all the CZ 505Gibbs have the recoil reducers. These rifles are not the standard CZ Safari Magnum (375H&H mag, 458WM), but are modified in the USA by CZ-USA. These modified rifles are produced in 404Jeff, 500Jeff and 505Gibbs. In addition to the recoil reducers, for these rifles they bed the action and include the front sling swivel on the barrel (local made barrel). So they are actually a semi-custom and that's why they cost more than the standard CZ magnum.

Yes, you don't need to remove the cross bolts to pull the metalwork out of the stock. I think you could use a fine bladed screw driver each side to undo them or tighten them if you needed to. I tried checking the tightness of mine one time and found that they were, but could still be easily spun around in the stock - hasn't caused any issues (yet).

I quite like the standard trigger - it has all the adjustments and can be set very light. Actually it can be set too light for hunting. And the set trigger can be set insanely light. I've never used the set trigger, even when shooting off a bench. It's just too far forward for my small hands when it is set.

billeastern
.275 member

Re: CZ550 505 Gibbs - 2 quick questions [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #226506 - 06/03/13 02:35 PM

Thanks a bunch guys. Appreciate the advice and quick responses.

-Bill

fourbore
.275 member

Reged: 28/03/10
Loc: NewEngland
      #226732 - 10/03/13 12:18 PM

I have a CZ550 in 505 Gibbs. I ordered mine from StLouis specifically because i did not want the matt finish. Different taste. Now as far as I could tell my come came without any recoil reducer. It was supposed to. But I never question that and I never said anything up front one way or other.

I am potentially embarrassed to admit, I am not 100% sure as I type this. I weighted the gun it was lighter than advertised. I removed the recoil pad and expected the reducers or a reducer to be placed in the butt under the pad and held in with an angled screw. I dont get, why are you taking the gun apart? To look for a reducer in the fore arm. One of us is off base, could be me, I guess??

After some time playing with the gun, I though it was heavy enough. It does kick, that is for sure. I now use a padded shooting vest, sorry the name escapes me at the moment. It works. Occasionally it also bites my finger at the trigger guard and found a pair of sissy dress leather gloves helped in that area. Moral there, don't throw away any unappreciated Christmas gifts, you never know.

I would say no they dont all have one, that for sure. Unless you come back and tell me otherwise, It would be under the butt pad.

Many of the 505's are built as ordered to customer instructions. A buyer can request barrel specs or options or stock (laminate or real wood) and metal finish. So certainly the reducers could be added or deleted just by asking.

One more thing, you can call St Louis shop and they will look up the gun and tell you about it. I believe they are also called triple rivers. I would have to dig that out. I am sure you can Google that up quicker. Its not like Remington, you get a real person to pickup.

chuck375
.333 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: Colorado Springs CO
Re: CZ550 505 Gibbs - 2 quick questions [Re: fourbore]
      #226801 - 11/03/13 12:42 PM

Jason Morton at the CZ Custom Shop (480) 969-1311, or Harlan Satrang at Triple River Gunsmithing(660) 438-2004 (he does almost all of the CZ Custom Shop Work) will be able to answer all of your questions. They're great guys too!

--------------------
"There's a saying in prize fighting: Everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Edited by chuck375 (11/03/13 02:07 PM)

billeastern
.275 member

Re: CZ550 505 Gibbs - 2 quick questions [Re: chuck375]
      #226843 - 12/03/13 02:27 AM

Thank you both guys. I will give Harlan a call today - seems I have seen that name posted before. Really appreciate the guidance!

UPDATE - Called Triple River - they are great as you said. They looked my rifle up and answered questions for me for 10 minutes. My rifle has the mercury reducer but they did confirm not all do. Fourbore - I think I was unclear about stock, I was taking it off to clean/oil unexposed metalwork. I do this to all my guns once a year. I know many people think it's not necessary, maybe just a habit. Thx again guys for all help!

Bill

Edited by billeastern (12/03/13 03:23 AM)

Fontainebleu
.300 member

Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: norway
      #228557 - 11/04/13 10:29 PM

just get a cheap secondhand one and send it to Wayne at hunting-rifle.com

He has forgotten more about the CZ 550 action than the CZ shop guys will ever know. Just my 2 cents..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3919

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com