Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Views on Taylor Knockout (TKO) Formula

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Views on Taylor Knockout (TKO) Formula [Re: DarylS]
      #175932 - 21/02/11 09:28 AM

Quote:

Exactly - what about lung shots above the heart? - inflated full of air vs empty - or stomach full of food vs empty - all having a direct reault on penetration as well - how much liquid, how much food to wade through. Big difference in internal damage due to this phenominum some called hydrostatic shock, vs the speed required 'apparently' to activate it in tissue alone.

I think speed is a relative deal here, depending on the condition of the organs - as noted above - full or empty. A lower speed works on full organs, a much higher speed is required to activate the mere tissues themselves. Much comes down to secondary missiles & the damage they create.

So many factors come into play. Adrenalin being one of them.

If a buff has seen you, seen you and is alerted, pumped up etc etc.

I am not a fun of lung shots so always try to take out the heart. A hole in a lung can close up, not so easy with a heart - although both can still run.

What about the old Liver shot - that makes them stand in pain. Always a good way of pulling something up but not a shot I take. If you can see the liver, you can see other, better vital organs.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Views on Taylor Knockout (TKO) Formula [Re: Homer]
      #175939 - 21/02/11 11:01 AM

How do the ultra-fast .300's bullets work on Sambar?

The Elk here arn't that impressed, and neither are the moose - at times - other times they drop - quite interesting, actually.

I've watched an Elk calf take a 129gr. Horndy from a 6.5x68- driven at 3,300fps, make a 3" entrance hole just above the elbow, 4" exit other side, lungs, I guess (liquid red splatter) blasted out each side on first second and third shots*(same place), spaced about 15 to 25 second apart. Yeah - over a minute without any lungs after the first shot. During this episode, the elk ran about 60 yards, stopping and milling around each time they ran about 30 yards. Finally, it appeared the Elk Calf realized it was dead, dropped his head and bled out his nose - then collapsed - maybe 1 1/2 minutes after the first shot blew it's lungs and heart to mush. There were no pieces- just mung. I was watching with 15X binocs. Impressive tough that bull elk calf, about the size of a really big Mulie- probably 250 pounds, maybe bit more (December). Now, the thought of the bullet 'shocking' and sort of cauterizing the tissues comes to mind as it took a long time for the blood to exit it's nose- ie; over a minute.

Perhaps this happens with high velocity rounds. Some game animals are susceptable, some aren't.

Much also depends on the animal's alertness to danger - spooked or not or already shot. My bro has finished off about 4 or 5 moose now, which were wounded by clients with arrows or bullets. His 250gr. RN's starting out at 2,150fps from his .356Win. dropped every moose dead inside 20 yards of the shot. That ctg. works well for that purpose, or for the initial shot as long as a client hasn't 'borrowed' it (they always miss - low and right or left).

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
      #175940 - 21/02/11 11:08 AM

I'm a fan of useing the right bullets and breaking bone on any animal but have not hunted Ele.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Views on Taylor Knockout (TKO) Formula [Re: Freeloader123]
      #176086 - 23/02/11 03:47 PM

Quote:

4seventy

My bad. You're from the land of Holdens and Ford Falcons and Chrysler hemi sixes.

All good stuff.

Freeloader, quite a few SBC's in OZ. Late 60's early 70's Holden Monaro's could be had new with SB Chevy power.
Hotrodders here use SB Chevy's a lot also.
I once had a 350 small block with a turbo-400 trans in a Landcruiser trayback.
It was awesome in soft sand beach driving!

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Views on Taylor Knockout (TKO) Formula [Re: FATBOY404]
      #176087 - 23/02/11 03:48 PM

Quote:

I'm a fan of useing the right bullets and breaking bone on any animal but have not hunted Ele.

Me too!

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #176108 - 24/02/11 04:58 AM

Quote:

Speaking of hotrods, what do you euro types hot rod?

anything German or Japanese
Oh wait, that's all we have

hunter_angler
.300 member

Reged: 24/03/10
Loc: Grand Marais, Michigan (home i...
Re: Views on Taylor Knockout (TKO) Formula [Re: 4seventy]
      #176137 - 24/02/11 12:08 PM

Quote:

... quite a few SBC's in OZ. Late 60's early 70's Holden Monaro's could be had new with SB Chevy power.

Please take no offense, mate, but one thing I love about you Aussies is that whether it's about your firearms or your vehicles, you definitely think rowdy like us Yanks!

Now, back on topic. Has anyone here ever seen/used the Thornily Stopping Power formula?

TSP = 2.866*velocity[fps]*(bullet weight[grains]/7000)*SquareRoot(bullet diameter[in])

Not sure where the numerical constants come from, but it seems to be a reasonable yardstick, incorporating momentum as well as bullet diameter, and without emphasizing the latter so much as Mr. Taylor's formula.

You can play with it here:

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/rescources/calculators/php/thornily.htm

Freeloader123
.275 member

Reged: 23/07/10
Loc: Dallas, Texas
Re: Views on Taylor Knockout (TKO) Formula [Re: 4seventy]
      #176372 - 01/03/11 06:00 AM

Quote:

4seventy
Freeloader, quite a few SBC's in OZ. Late 60's early 70's Holden Monaro's could be had new with SB Chevy power.

An SBC is not to be despised. It's not my favorite small block, but I happen to be married to one right now. It's in my '71 El Camino (think Holden Ute). I'm not complaining. Once I replace her beating heart with the AFR-headed roller-cammed four-bolt main forged-crank small block taking up space in my garage, I'll be sitting even more firmly in the heart of the land of not-complaining.

But when it comes to small blocks I lust after Cleveland Fords, and you guys down under build the best. Growing up in the late '70s the hot ticket was to get an Aussie Cleveland 351 block, but you had to know someone who built superstock engines to get one. Now, if the rules allow an SBF to be competitive (i.e. you don't need a big block [do you have big blocks down under?]) a Ford outfitted with Aussie CHI cylinder heads invariably wins the Jeg's powermaster competition.

I drove one '71 Boss 351 Mustang once. Only one time, and I've never been the same since. A high school friend I car-pooled with asked me if I "minded" driving as he was worn out after football practice.

Asking me if I "minded" driving that car would be like a Victoria's Secret supermodel asking me if I "minded" having sex with her.

Well, OK. But only this time and you owe me a favor (he he he).

Anyways, back on topic. I probably should have mentioned that the last two animals I discussed in my immediately prior post WERE NOT shot with a .375. I shifted mental gears and should have said they were shot with a .338 WinMag. Which seems to work just about as well as a .375 on everything I've ever shot with one. Which admittedly hasn't been a whole hell of a lot.

Most of the game I shoot doesn't need more than my .270. Which leads me to believe I'm not really qualified to commment on Taylor's Knock Out formula. Perhaps somebody with more experience on really big game can fill me in on this desire to quantify killing power in some sort of formula. Because I don't get it. The subject's been talked to death, and minimum cartridges have been pretty well established. At this point, shouldn't we be talking about what bullets out of those cartridges work as advertised, and which don't?

Not all of them do work.

bigjedd
.224 member

Reged: 23/02/10
Loc: Gippsland,Victoria,Australia
Re: Views on Taylor Knockout (TKO) Formula [Re: Homer]
      #176378 - 01/03/11 06:57 AM

Darryl S
In my experience with using 300 magnums on Sambar deer downunder. The main problem is hunters get sucked into the high velocity lighter weight bullet syndrome and most times the bullet is too fragile for the speed and impact on sambar sized deer. The hunters I hunt with all use heavier 180grains Plus bullets and slower loads to good effect within 200 yds. The only exception is when the shot is taken at longer ranges 400 plus shots and the terminal velocity has dropped to the mid 2500fps.

Edited by bigjedd (01/03/11 06:58 AM)

450_Ackley
.375 member

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: Darling Downs, Qld Australia
Re: Views on Taylor Knockout (TKO) Formula [Re: bigjedd]
      #176435 - 02/03/11 06:40 AM

A little off the topic, but in the Feb edition of African Outfitter mag, there is an article regarding big bore wildcats, with the author very firmly saying that he (and apparently most African PH's??) are now saying that anything big driven at 2400 fps or over is now bad news, slow it down to 2150 fps or so and everything works better.
I'll have to dig it up and have another closer read of it.
Basically he is saying that there was nothing wrong with the ballistics of the old days, and pushing bullets over their recommended speeds was a recipe for disaster.
I do recall however, the article seemed very opinionated!

DC

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Views on Taylor Knockout (TKO) Formula [Re: 450_Ackley]
      #176437 - 02/03/11 06:50 AM

"pushing bullets over their recommended speeds was a recipe for disaster."

Correct, and some calibres didn't reach their potential until bullet technology caught up with velocity.

I am NOT a speed freak, but most people do say that once you hit that 2300 - 2400 fps, the animal does notice it.

I am just happy to go 2150 fps and be done with it - my animals fall over dead, I can get a second or third shot of quickly as I'm not trying to recover as far and I'm not beaten to a pulp by recoil.

But you will always have those who want to push things faster.

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: Views on Taylor Knockout (TKO) Formula [Re: 500Nitro]
      #176441 - 02/03/11 06:59 AM

I think modern bullets have "clouded" the original 2150 fps argument a little but personally I still like it.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

Freeloader123
.275 member

Re: Views on Taylor Knockout (TKO) Formula [Re: 450_Ackley]
      #176447 - 02/03/11 07:47 AM

Quote:

A little off the topic, but in the Feb edition of African Outfitter mag, there is an article regarding big bore wildcats, with the author very firmly saying that he (and apparently most African PH's??) are now saying that anything big driven at 2400 fps or over is now bad news,

I'm curious; that is the "old" speed for my .416. 2400 fps is about what Rigby & co. got out of her. Now it's "bad news.?"

Here I was thinking I was on the safe side for sticking with the starter loads. Now all of a sudden I find out I should have downlaoded her and turned her into a .404.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #176466 - 02/03/11 04:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

A little off the topic, but in the Feb edition of African Outfitter mag, there is an article regarding big bore wildcats, with the author very firmly saying that he (and apparently most African PH's??) are now saying that anything big driven at 2400 fps or over is now bad news,

I'm curious; that is the "old" speed for my .416. 2400 fps is about what Rigby & co. got out of her. Now it's "bad news.?"

Here I was thinking I was on the safe side for sticking with the starter loads. Now all of a sudden I find out I should have downlaoded her and turned her into a .404.

Ah the penny has dropped. That is why all us 404 owners just start with this cartridge and load it normally to give the tried and true DG performance.

Freeloader123
.275 member

#176470 - 02/03/11 08:31 PM

Quote:

I am NOT a speed freak,

I am. I intend to prove it by stuffing the biggest engine I can into the smallest car I can find.

It's important to have goals in life.

But in the cold hard light of day it's imporant to think about how your bullet's going to do when it meets up with something. Not just how fast you can make it go. But when it stops.

As I get older, I think more & more about how I'm going to haul this thing to a stop. You should see the brakes I have on the '71 Elco. Massive. Courtesy of Stainless Steel Brakes.

I wouldn't drive a car fast if I didn't know it had chasssis, suspension, and a set of brakes up to the task, and I wouldn't drive a bullet fast if I didn't think it would hold together and do the job.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #176482 - 03/03/11 03:39 AM

We are all asute enough to know the bullet must be up to the job of doing the job we want it to, in anything we poke it, no matter what we launch it from.

High velocity seems to work on some game - mentioned that above, but the heavier and/or more dangerous the animal, the less susceptable to this high speed 'shock' they seem.

Don't overlook the tissue and blood vessel "cauterizing" phenominum that seems attached to nerve and tissue shock produced by high speed bullets.

We, human beings, are suseceptable to this so-called nerve shock - it's part and parcel to being human. You can slice your hand, leg or arm open and feel no pain - no bleeding, either, right away that is - nerve shock blocks the pain and has a cauterizing effect on the tissues. It takes some time before the blood flows, doesn't it - and then gushhhhhh.

Much the same thing happens (I surmise - yeah - my opinion) to an aminal that is hit by a high speed, rapidly expanding bullet that creates 'shock' to the system.

If you've ever watched a slower moving bullet (or arrow) go into and out of an animal and virtually immediately see the blood pour & continue to pour out the entrance and exit holes, you know what I mean. With the high speed rapidly expanding bullet, the blood inside doesn't pour out - there is a spray if the bullet exits or sometimes out the entrance, but then nothing - cut the deer, moose or elk, antelope open and the blood is like a chunk of jello, like an organ itself - congealed - by the shock? I think so. Makes sense.

That is why the PH's say 2,150fps is the goods - on all game. When hit, they bleed, no matter what they are.

On some game, the higher speed bullets work wonders, even the 270gr.(2,600fps MV) .375's shock 'effect' was noticable on plains game immediately after it's inception in 1912. Hunters were amazed at it seemed to kill like a lightening strike, on some animals some didn't die quickly - Hmm.

That 'shock' effect didn't always happen and it didn't happen much if at all on the really dangerous game - except maybe the lighter cats - maybe - sometimes did, not always.

I suspect you want a dangerous animal to bleed NOW and copiously, not to hold congealed blood in it's cavity and continue to bite, claw or trample - bleed out and die - shutdown - quickly.

Something to think about - maybe. Disregard if you wish.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Freeloader123
.275 member

#176492 - 03/03/11 08:22 AM

Quote:

We are all asute enough to know the bullet must be up to the job of doing the job we want it to, in anything we poke it, no matter what we launch it from.

High velocity seems to work on some game - mentioned that above, but the heavier and/or more dangerous the animal, the less susceptable to this high speed 'shock' they seem.

Don't overlook the tissue and blood vessel "cauterizing" phenominum that seems attached to nerve and tissue shock produced by high speed bullets.

We, human beings, are suseceptable to this so-called nerve shock - it's part and parcel to being human. You can slice your hand, leg or arm open and feel no pain - no bleeding, either, right away that is - nerve shock blocks the pain and has a cauterizing effect on the tissues. It takes some time before the blood flows, doesn't it - and then gushhhhhh.

Much the same thing happens (I surmise - yeah - my opinion) to an aminal that is hit by a high speed, rapidly expanding bullet that creates 'shock' to the system.

If you've ever watched a slower moving bullet (or arrow) go into and out of an animal and virtually immediately see the blood pour & continue to pour out the entrance and exit holes, you know what I mean. With the high speed rapidly expanding bullet, the blood inside doesn't pour out - there is a spray if the bullet exits or sometimes out the entrance, but then nothing - cut the deer, moose or elk, antelope open and the blood is like a chunk of jello, like an organ itself - congealed - by the shock? I think so. Makes sense.

That is why the PH's say 2,150fps is the goods - on all game. When hit, they bleed, no matter what they are.

On some game, the higher speed bullets work wonders, even the 270gr.(2,600fps MV) .375's shock 'effect' was noticable on plains game immediately after it's inception in 1912. Hunters were amazed at it seemed to kill like a lightening strike, on some animals some didn't die quickly - Hmm.

That 'shock' effect didn't always happen and it didn't happen much if at all on the really dangerous game - except maybe the lighter cats - maybe - sometimes did, not always.

I suspect you want a dangerous animal to bleed NOW and copiously, not to hold congealed blood in it's cavity and continue to bite, claw or trample - bleed out and die - shutdown - quickly.

Something to think about - maybe. Disregard if you wish.

I meant no insult.

What I meant was, no matter how nice or a dress you put her in, you're still going go have to find shoes to match.

In the case of a bullet, those shoes better be able to kick the hell out of whatever you point them at.

hunter_angler
.300 member

#176493 - 03/03/11 09:20 AM

We have strayed far from formulas.

Have we essentially established that with large and/or dangerous game and the variety thereof, given the complexity of the reaction of living tissue and what if any vital organ is hit, that there really is no simple math?

That even disregarding recoil and weight of the rifle, and assuming well-constructed bullets:

Bigger (bullet weight, diameter) is better up to some point where additional mass becomes overkill?
Faster is better but perhaps only up to a point where higher velocity becomes even counterproductive?

I guess our ballistics hot stove league is a lot more fun than algebra anyway.

--------------------
old school rimmy

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Views on Taylor Knockout (TKO) Formula [Re: hunter_angler]
      #176494 - 03/03/11 09:26 AM

Regarding "given the complexity of the reaction of living tissue and what if any vital organ is hit, that there really is no simple math?" Look at it this way

Big animal, heart full of blood - whether a small(er) bullet traveling fast or a larger, heavier bullet travelling slower,
the effect is that it causes a pressure spike in the heart - which is of course already at high pressure as it is full of blood - and maybe a spike up to the brain - which as Kevin Robertson in his book describes so well, causes drop dead effect.

Then do the same with an empty heart - that's when I prefer a heavy, larger bullet.

Just my HO.

Freeloader123
.275 member

#176498 - 03/03/11 10:22 AM

We have gotten far from formulas.

I'm not too interested in formulas. The only formula I know is this. Most of the things I shoot, almost anything works. As they get bigger, fewer things work.

hunter_angler
.300 member

#176512 - 03/03/11 12:22 PM

Quote:

...I prefer a heavy, larger bullet.

I agree with you. I don't even hunt whitetails with anything smaller than 250 grainers in my .348 WIN.

I think with 500 gr and heavier, .45 caliber and up, well constructed bullets, at ranges at which large and dangerous game is typically hunted, velocity and even sectional density decline somewhat in importance. Solids of this sheer mass at reasonable speeds (yes, room for debate here, maybe 1900 fps plus) penetrate well (even on thick-skinned game), make large enough wound channels, and do a lot of tissue damage. 12 bore 500 gr round balls at slower velocities than that took a lot of big game in the early muzzleloading days of African hunting, and 500 and 535 gr fifty caliber bullets with SDs south of .3 have always penetrated well at moderate terminal speeds.

I think higher energy levels transmitted to the target do result in more shock and stopping power, and velocity can and does play a role here, but within reason I would never trade off caliber or bullet mass. Hence my preference for facing a grizzly with a Trapdoor .45-70 versus a .220 Swift, and for that matter a cape buffalo with a .470 NE versus a .375 Wby.

Just my $.02.

Freeloader123
.275 member

#176517 - 03/03/11 01:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

...I prefer a heavy, larger bullet.

I suppose I'll have to be the outlier here, but the fact is that for smaller animals I don't prefer the bigger bullet.

For deer the 130 grain bullet works pretty well.

Maybe it's the case it's heavy enough, and you don't need more. I've never wanted more. Not out of a .270.

500Nitro
.450 member

#176519 - 03/03/11 01:13 PM

Freeloader

We were - or I was - talking about Big Game - bigger than deer.

Re your 270, I always go the bigger bullet as I reckon it just gives you the edge on angling shots for penetration
as the weight carries it through well.

hunter_angler
.300 member

#176529 - 03/03/11 02:51 PM

Quote:

We were - or I was - talking about Big Game - bigger than deer.

Re your 270, I always go the bigger bullet as I reckon it just gives you the edge on angling shots for penetration
as the weight carries it through well.

Again, I agree.

I am the one guilty of changing the subject by bringing up whitetails, but have to say that even on deer, at least in the deep woods where I hunt, I prefer a bigger, heavier bullet to stop and anchor the animal where I hit him. Maybe I am just a lousy shot through the trees and brush with my iron sights, but I hate tracking wounded game, and I want the hunt over as quickly and humanely as possible.

Now, where I hunt there are few shots over 75 yards. If you hunt deer in the open, with good visibility and at longer and more varying ranges, somewhat lighter bullets and higher velocities make for flatter shooting, and I can understand the preference.

Even against larger or dangerous game, a relatively smaller .338 or .375 magnum probably makes more sense at 150 yards or more. When it's up close and personal (like it should be when it's more about hunting than marksmanship, IMHO), give me at least a .400. I also believe that close range hunting is what Mr. Taylor was talking about.

500Nitro
.450 member

#176530 - 03/03/11 03:00 PM

Having shot a fair few BG / DG - as in Water Buffalo
and Scrub bulls and a fair few pigs with smaller cals, one thing is for certain.

Animals do not stand perfectly side on or present the perfect shot for you. Going on from here, you therefore have to make a judgement on taking the shot.

I use the 5th rib rule, which is if I can see the 5th rib, because I use a bigger calibre and / or a heavier bullet,
I know that I can take the shot because even if I hit the rib, the bullet will still get to the vitals. You just can't guarantee that with lighter bullets.

Just my HO.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 29171

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com