Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 416 ruger popping primers

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
bigjedd
.224 member

Reged: 23/02/10
Loc: Gippsland,Victoria,Australia
Re: 416 ruger popping primers [Re: FATBOY404]
      #174819 - 04/02/11 05:02 PM

404 Thats what I was thinking. When we were firing we just filled the mag which is only 3 and let them go. Then reloaded the mag for the next guy to shoot.
We did have some other rifles we were using to do load testing and just fired the 416ruger when we were waiting for the barrel to cool on the test rifles between groups.

I still think it has a bit to do with the dirty barrel but will wait till I get some more factory ammo to measure how much jump the bullet has before the lead

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: 416 ruger popping primers [Re: bigjedd]
      #174822 - 04/02/11 07:20 PM

bigjedd.
As I have said before,there is no doubt that a fouled barrel will create more pressure but it should not be enlarging primer pockets from 40 odd rounds.
My money is still on Hornady's "full power" loads and or a short throat.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #174845 - 05/02/11 02:52 AM

Badly fouled/coppered bore - perhaps hot as well = pressure jump. Hot ammo - sitting in the sun can increase the powder temperature to where it developes extremely high pressures and then pierces primers. The Ruger is a modern high pressure round that is developing well over 60,000PSI- maybe 64,000SPI - probably. It is a small step upwards to where primers 'pop'.

I suggest you remove the bolt and inspect it and the firing pin's nose carefully. When primers pierce, a jet of extremely hot flame plays on the tip of the firing pin and around the pin's hole on the suface of the bolt face. This jet of flame is like a miniature cutting torch.

This flame can roughen, cut away metal and sharpen the pin's nose which then increases the chance of piercing normal pressure loads. Too, the bolt face can be badly cut by the gasses as well, which can cause primer cup extreusion into the cuts which increases difficulty with rotating the bolt to extract cases. It sometimes takes very few 'pierced primers' to do this much damage. Sometimes only one.

I've seen a blown primer cut a narrow groove all the way across a bolt face. You would think only the softer brass would be cut - not so. The culprit was a rough and slightly pointed pin in an old 98 Mauser action, re-barreled then test fired. A factory .30/06 load pierced the primer.

Sometimes faulty primers get past quality controls and are sold or loaded by factories. I've seen it happen a number of times with small rifle primers. Faults can run from too-soft cups, to too-hard cups and everything in between.

That some ammo pierced while some didn't, points possibly at the primers as both loads would have been loaded to the same factory levels. The ammo can be the same lot, but the primers might not be, just as the powder might not be.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

bigjedd
.224 member

Re: 416 ruger popping primers [Re: DarylS]
      #174876 - 05/02/11 08:52 AM

Daryl
The primers are not piercing at all. What happens is you fire a round or 2 and suddenly one will feel like it has more boot than normal. Inverably when you open the bolt and eject the cartridge the primer will have fallen out either in your hand or into the magazine. Once the primer actual fell between the end of the follower and the magazine box jamming the follower.

The cases from the Factory rounds that it happens to are useless now as the primer pocket has enlarged so much that a new primer will just fall out by its own weight.

I do not and have not had any of these problems with my handloads. ( 340gr Woodleighs at 2570fps using 82grs of AR2208 powder with a crimped projectile.)

I have inspected the bolt and there is no sign of wear on the pin or the bolt face.

Altamaha
.333 member

Reged: 29/12/08
Loc: Washington State USA
      #174979 - 06/02/11 01:45 PM

A couple of other things to think about:

Soft case heads will result in popped primers. (The soft head expands too much)

A too long chamber will often result in popper primers: The cartridge walls grip the chamber upon firing, there is too much space between the case head and the bolt face, the primer moves back. Combined with a soft case head and the primer will fall out when the bolt is cycled. I would section a fired case and look for wall thinning just ahead of the web. If you find thinning, the chamber is too long.

Short throat, or a bullet seated out in the lands, will boost pressure and pop a primer. So, slightly resize the case neck a short distance, seat a bullet out too far, coat the bullet with prussian blue or smoke it, cycle the dummy round through the action and read the land marks on the bullet. You will push the bullet back into the case when doing his, and will know where the throat is for future seating reference. Might take a few tries. Watch for the bullet sticking in the lands when the bolt is opened, might have to size the neck a little more. If you stick a bullet in the lands, immediately take a cleaning rod and push it from the muzzle to dislodge the bullet. Last thing you want to do is leave a stuck bullet in the throat: If you forget it a few days later and chamber a round, the stuck bullet will push the other bullet back into the case, pull the trigger and blow up a rifle!!!

A chamber cast and proper measurement would tell me a lot.

If I had the rifle, and the above showed nothing wrong, then I would glue on a strain gauge and run some pressure trials.

Above posters may be on the right track, the cartridge might be loaded from the factory "on the edge" to obtain near 416 Rigby velocities. This is why I believe in big cases for a DG rifle!!!!

Edited by Altamaha (06/02/11 01:57 PM)

bigjedd
.224 member

#175958 - 21/02/11 06:45 PM

Its been awhile coming but I this email has restored my faith in product backup and after sales service. This is the reply I got from Hornady after I sent them the email about the primers popping.

Thank you so much for getting back to us. We thank you very much for giving us feedback on the ammunition and you are right, we need to know when there are problems with our ammunition. I have filed this information with our tech department who tracks these kinds of ammunition problems. If you were here in the U.S., we would get the ammunition back from you for inspection, but unfortunately since you are in another country we cannot get the ammunition back due to import/export laws. We use our distributors to help us with these types of situations. We always stand behind our products and that is why I want to get you a replacement box of ammunition. If you are ok with it, I’ll give Herron your contact information to take care of this for us. Please feel free to contact us at any time if you have any further problems with our ammunition. We appreciate our customers and thank you so much for informing us of this issue.
Take care,
Lori

Lori Rolfes
International Sales Associate
3625 W Old Potash Hwy
Grand Island, NE 68803
308.382.1390 ext. 277
308.382.5761 fax
lrolfes@hornady.com

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
      #175960 - 21/02/11 07:09 PM

That fixes one problem (credit to them) but is there more of that ammo out there ?.
I guess they could have blamed you or your rifle and done nothing.

We haven't heard from any other 416 ruger owners so this maybe a one off.
Good on you for following it up Lori.

Cheers Neale.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

bigjedd
.224 member

#175965 - 21/02/11 07:47 PM

FB404 This was just 3 cartridges out of the box that popped but there was some heat marks around the necks of others. I have 4 boxes of cartridges all from the same batch and just this one played up.
I wasnt really expecting compensation just wanted to get to the bottom of why it happened. Any how they are gunna honour the faulty and that is good.

Con
.333 member

Reged: 24/05/04
Loc: Victoria
      #175994 - 22/02/11 04:15 AM

Interesting they picked that importer to credit through rather than the one in Melbourne.
Cheers...
Con

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 416 ruger popping primers [Re: Con]
      #176014 - 22/02/11 11:33 AM

After re-reading most everything, I am of the opinion those cases are most likely soft in the head area through improper hardening andannealing, ie: annealed too far or not hardened enough.

I do not call dropping primers - "popped" - it is actually quite serious & not to be taken lightly - exceeding the elasticity of the case head happens just before all hell breaks loose.

It requires enormous pressure.

--------------------
Daryl

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #176073 - 23/02/11 10:37 AM

I have always thought that a bit of detective work can be better than lots of guess work.
Accurately measuring case head outside diameters, and primer pocket inside diameters "might" reveal something of interest.

You mentioned that there was increased recoil on some/all of the problem loads. Were there any other signs of excess pressure on the cases apart from the loose primers?
I mean was there any resistance when opening the bolt on those rounds after they were fired, and were there any shiny spots on the headstamp area of the case heads of those same rounds?

In reality here you are dealing with 2 major possibles.

1....Excess pressure expanding the case head and primer pocket, which could be caused by a number of things.

2....Soft brass.

If the pressure is high enough to expand the primer pockets to a point that primers easily fall out, there could/should be other signs of excess pressure on the brass.

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #176081 - 23/02/11 12:52 PM

Quote:

Badly fouled/coppered bore - perhaps hot as well = pressure jump.

Yes Daryl,
sounds like they had a cracking day at the range, firing 50+ rounds from this rifle plus others as well in two hours. That puts the rate about one shot every two minutes. Considering time lost to target-check ceasefires, I'll bet some strings were fired a lot faster than that.

Australia can have hot summer days, too, and rapid fire could make things interesting.
With whole magazine loads fired in succession, I'm not surprised it was the boys from the bottom of the stack that lost their caps.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 416 ruger popping primers [Re: Paul]
      #176112 - 24/02/11 05:21 AM

Does the sun or temperature effect the round's pressure? How much? Here's something to consider.

Standard military issue 7.62x51 operate as lower pressure than typical .308 factory ammo, ie: -55,000psi compared to +60,000psi - considerably lower. How much does heat raise pressure?

The ammo box, sitting in the sun while we're prone shooting, if not protected from the direct sunshine (in Canada, not Australia's heat), will blow the primers - as -in the .416 Ruger rifle of this thread. What pressure is required, ie: how much can the sun's rays actually ioncrease the pressure inside a case?

To blow the primers, not just loosen, but actually enlarge the case head to where the primers fall out with a .470" head ctg. requires enormous pressure - with properly heat treated brass. A fellow on another forum with that computer program declared my .218Bee loads (40gr. @ 3,750fps) were running 84,000psi - yet my brass never dropped a primer - was loaded 14 times(and still going strong for the new owner, when Ken Waters could not get 5 loadings using his low velocity 2,800fps loadings(1,000fps slower). So, what pressure does it actually take to blow a primer? The .218Bee has only a .408" rim and much smaller body ie; much less strength than a .308, let alone the larger-yet, Ruger case.

The .416's larger case and rim diameter, has even more strength around it's primers and requires even more pressure than-does the .308 case. Strength increases exponentially with diameter.

As in the situation of the .416 rifle or any other, it is easy to jump to an erronious conclusion based upon limited know facts, or from a desire to solve a mystery quickly. Guesses are made as the fcts trickle in. I am guilty of this & for that, I'm sorry. Much of the time, a company is blamed for an error of the shooter.

With the information available, we don't know who's at fault and without proper equipment or 'being there' who'd to say? A simple mistake of shooting too quickly, overheated barrel and blooey - blown or leaky primers - blown is beyond leaking. The pressur spike occured prior to a leak.

As in any such cases, there are a lot of different facts & possible scenarios to take into consideration. At best, all we can do is to guess & probably wronly.

Consider this, a .45/70 case subjected to 70,000PSI in a Marlin lever action rifle shows normal pressure in expansion measurements - ie: Marlin's testing and measuring of primer pocket, rim and base diameters in an issue M1895 .45/70.

Brass strength is vitally important and comes down to proper heat treatment.

Ammo left sitting in a hot chamber prior to being fired, increases the powder temperature, in some instances, to the point of extreme pressure wave action. This depends on the type, and formulation of the powder. Some powders are more susceptable to pressure jumps with high temps than others. Many of the stick powders, commmonly used in large cases, are prone to big jumps in pressure with high temps, as-are some spherical or ball powders. Some aren't. with handloads, we can control this, with factory ammo, we are stuck with what the factory used.

ADI and Hodgdon Extreme powders are very much less suseptable to pressure excursions due to heat or cold.

Ctgs. like the British African rounds, loaded with cordite did not maintain their low, 38,000PSI or CUP when shot in Africa - their pressures jumped amazingly high - maybe scary high at times, so to keep their cordite-jumpy pressures safe they made them oversized for their actual performance - to keeping pressure moderate in extreme heat was important for the weak-compared to bolt gun actions.

When loaded with heat insensitve powders, high initial pressure rounds are just as 'safe' as low pressure rounds loaded with heat sensitive powders.

It would be interesting to put strain gauges on a DR to compute the pressures of the 1st and 2nd rounds, let alone the third and especially the 4th shot - when fired at 120F temp in the blazing sun-shine.

As an aside, I wonder what happens to regulation at extreme temps?

I see ammo carried in those pretty loops on the hunting shirt's pocket - directly in the sun - Hmmm.

The sun is NOT our friend.

--------------------
Daryl

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #176114 - 24/02/11 05:37 AM

Ammo gets damn hot in the sun in loops.

So hot, I had to put a flap over the ammo.
It was still damn hot, just because the ambient temp was well over 40 degrees.

The ammo 500/465 almost became too hot to handle.

No pressure problems on firing but it's not
something I like to do.

bigjedd
.224 member

Re: 416 ruger popping primers [Re: 500Nitro]
      #176120 - 24/02/11 07:15 AM

Guys just to give a few more details. I live in the southern part of Australia in the Victoria area known as Gippsland Not an area renowned for excessive hot days. On the day we were shooting the weather was overcast with a max temp for the day not much more than 75 degrees farenheit. As I mentioned earlier all these rounds were brand new in the box factory rounds not hand loads. I do not have any unfired cases here to measure the fired cases against otherwise I would do so.

I only have full length resized cases which have and are working fine in the rifle with my handloads pushing 340gr woodleighs at a chronagraphed average for 5 shots of 2550 fps and 400 gr frontier bullets at a chronagraphed average for 5 shots of 2385 fps.

Whilst I did fire a lot of rounds in a resonably short time - but not any shorter than what may be expected if I were doing a controlled animal cull- I only had the primers drop out of 3 cases from the one box of ammo.

I understand the theory behind how pressures can increase in hotter weather climate and ammo can be heated if left in the sun etc, but in this instance I was using a standard of the shelf rifle with standard of the shelf ammo on a day of mild but overcast weather aformulae which any normal person would expect to work. I concede that there may have been some barrel fouling at play here and that is my fault but would have thought in a big bore hunting rifle it wouldnt be a problem.

The fact that The ammo company is willing to replace the ammo leads me to beiieve this was a problem with quality control of the factory Ammo and not a problem from handloading, overheating barrels or excess sun.

Daryl you make some interesting points and it would be interesting to put a few different calibres through the strain gauge test.

bigjedd
.224 member

#176121 - 24/02/11 07:50 AM

4seventy
On inspection of the cases head on the cartridge that dropped the primer there is a slight mark from the extractor groove in the bolt face but certainly no more than on any other cartridge that I reload for and I reload for 7 different cartridges. On looking at the batch of ammo that was faulty some of the cases have a soot ring appearing around the primer although the primer didnt drop out.
There is no discernable marks on the head or around the webbing area of the cases although the primers seem to be slightly flattened with a slight cratering around the firing pin indentations.
The cases that have soot marks around the primers also have a color change at the throat of the cartridge which looks a little like annealing marks. This may have been caused by a hot chamber.????

I measured the case head diameter of the cases that did not drop primers and than all measured .528" the Head diameter on the dropped primer cases measured .530" the primer pockets on the dropped cases measured .212" The SAAMI spec lists a maximum of .210" so there is obviously some pressure at play here. I do not have unfired cases to measure against at the moment but the reloaded ammo I have measure similar to the cases that havent dropped the primers.

As an aside a bit of information for those that have a 416Ruger and like to reload I have noticed when reloading the cases need to have a primer pocket uniformer used on them to enable the primer to fully seat(Fed 215) some seat all the way some wont.

MarinePMI
.275 member

Reged: 21/04/08
Loc: San Diego, CA USA
      #176122 - 24/02/11 07:59 AM

Just an additional comment, but it is not out of the question that Hornady may have had a bad run of brass. I've seen one run of brass totally throw off a test and have degreed mechanical engineers, scratching their heads about pressure issues. Turns out the brass was too soft, and as a coincidence it was Hornady/Frontier brass. Everyone was looking somewhere else for the culprit of the pressure problems, assuming the brass was good because it was virgin.

These symptoms certainly tells me something may have happened during the production cycle, but at least Hornady is standing by their product and investigating and replacing the OP's ammo.

JMTCW..

--------------------
MarinePMI

4seventy
Sponsor

#176123 - 24/02/11 08:07 AM

Quote:

On looking at the batch of ammo that was faulty some of the cases have a soot ring appearing around the primer although the primer didnt drop out.

bigjedd,
Do you know if any of these cases with the soot ring around the primer, were fired early in your shooting session that day?
Early in the session any fouling problems should have been far less than towards the end of the 50 or so rounds fired.
I'm interested to know if primers were showing any leakage (soot) in the first 20 rounds or so.

Quote:

The cases that have soot marks around the primers also have a color change at the throat of the cartridge which looks a little like annealing marks. This may have been caused by a hot chamber.????

The chamber would have to be VERY hot to ever be able to anneal the brass cartridge case.
The difference in colour "could" mean that the brass was of a different hardness on those particular cases, compared to others from the same batch.

4seventy
Sponsor

#176128 - 24/02/11 09:03 AM

Daryl,
With summer hunting in many parts of Australia, the sun and extreme heat is just a day to day thing. We live with it and need to also be able to work with it.
As an example, when I guided hunters in far north Queensland, (Cape York) for wild boar (and scrub bulls), the best hunting season was at the hottest time of the year prior to the start of the wet. October was always booked well in advance.
Air temps would often be 40 C or more, and the big pigs would always be not too far away from water.
We'd use a cut down open 4WD to bash our way out to the remote swamps and water holes. This is true bush bashing with no roads.

Ammo for my scrub bull backup rifle would be in a leather belt carrier on my right side, and it would often be exposed to direct sun for lengthy periods of time.
Sometimes, due to wind direction, we would have to walk across open swamps to aproach pigs or bulls on the far side.
On some big swamps this could mean a stalk in full sun with zero shade, which could take quite a long time.
The ammo on my belt would be hot, and the barrels on my rifle are hot, even when it hasn't been fired. Put a couple of shots through the rifle in those conditions, and the barrels and chambers are then extremely hot.
I would never deliberately expose ammo to extreme heat from direct sun, but in that type of hunting you cannot spend much time worrying about how hot your barrels or cartridges are. There are too many other things taking up your time and your attention.

This is the reason that, especially for DG backup, like with wild bulls, I prefer to have a rifle firing a very low pressure cartridge like the 470 NE. The low pressure has little to do with the fact that DR's are weaker than bolt guns though. Excess pressures can also put bolt rifles out of action in certain circumstances.
It is also the reason that I shudder at the thought of someone loading a 45-70 up to produce 470 ballistics, and going after DG.

The big old English cases, when loaded to original specs but with modern powders, offer a much greater margin of safety when heat pushes pressures way up.
Over the years I've had several client hunters who have experienced problems with their (hot loads) bolt action rifles, due to cartridge pressures going way too high, because of the increased temperatures of tropical Australia.

Con
.333 member

Reged: 24/05/04
Loc: Victoria
      #176129 - 24/02/11 09:29 AM

Quote:

Ctgs. like the British African rounds, loaded with cordite did not maintain their low, 38,000PSI or CUP when shot in Africa - their pressures jumped amazingly high - maybe scary high at times, so to keep their cordite-jumpy pressures safe they made them oversized for their actual performance - to keeping pressure moderate in extreme heat was important for the weak-compared to bolt gun actions.

I can't remember its name ... but there was a less heat sensitive Cordite. Cordite as initially produced is not the same as what was produced at later dates.

But having a large case with great volume and pushing moderate speeds in comparison to what is achieved today with significantly smaller case capacity was an excellent way to build safety margins into the guns/ammunition of the times.
Cheers...
Con

bigjedd
.224 member

Re: 416 ruger popping primers [Re: Con]
      #176141 - 24/02/11 01:03 PM

4Seventy
unfortunately I cannot say what order the cases came out of the box I only noticed the soot ring after getting home and checking the cases. The only thing I can say is the cases with the soot rings also have the most case color change at the throat of the case but the case head diameter measure .528".
I would love to put a pic up of the case but unfortunately I dont have a camera that will take a good enough pic.

Edited by bigjedd (24/02/11 01:05 PM)

bigjedd
.224 member

#176144 - 24/02/11 01:19 PM

This is a poor quality pic but you can see the color change at the throat of the case.

bigjedd
.224 member

#176145 - 24/02/11 01:20 PM

Darn dont know how to post a pic on here

4seventy
Sponsor

#176146 - 24/02/11 01:28 PM

bigjedd,
If you need help to post some photos I would be happy to assist.
You could email me some photos, or if you wanted you could pack up a few of those cases and post them to me. I'd be happy to photograph them, put the photos in your thread, and then post the cases back to you.
Let me know if you require my mailing address.

bigjedd
.224 member

Re: 416 ruger popping primers [Re: 4seventy]
      #176147 - 24/02/11 01:33 PM

ok I will give this a try

Edited by CptCurl (03/07/11 09:50 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 20457

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com