Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Killing vs. Stopping.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Killing vs. Stopping.
      #162887 - 27/06/10 10:07 PM

Regarding dangerous game, 4000-5000 Ft/Lbs with .375-.500" projectile has proven to be a good killer. How about stopping a charge? Is a .500 or .577 nitro class necessary or just insurance?

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Killing vs. Stopping. [Re: bonanza]
      #162888 - 27/06/10 11:54 PM

No doubt a 500NE or biger would be the calibre preferable in the event of a full blown Elephant charge. But one must be practical and I believe a 470 is as heavy (recoil, bulk and Weight) that "I am" comfortable to use on a drawn out Elephant, Buffalo or Lion tracking hunt in extreme heat in such places as the Zambezi valley.

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
      #162941 - 29/06/10 12:38 AM

Quote:

Regarding dangerous game, 4000-5000 Ft/Lbs with .375-.500" projectile has proven to be a good killer. How about stopping a charge? Is a .500 or .577 nitro class necessary or just insurance?

Very difficult to respond to your question, i deleted two times my reply ! We are again by the question or the fact : It's better to use big bores on big game or are medium bores sufficent for this job ?

grandveneur
.400 member

#162942 - 29/06/10 12:57 AM

On the other side, i am surprised by the poor number of reply's ! Where are all the experienced big game hunters of this forum, in particular the users of medium bores on big game ?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Killing vs. Stopping. [Re: grandveneur]
      #162945 - 29/06/10 01:05 AM

I've only ever been charged by a rabbit and it was blind as well and actually heading for its warren.

But I was almost charged by a hog deer one time, except again it was only running up hill and when it saw me it diverted and ran past. I actually fumbled the reload and had it been a real mean hog deer it would have had me! But I had already shot it and it died a few metres in the thick ferns behind me.

The CLOSEST to a dangerous game charge was a scrub bull which I had shot too far back with a flanking or arse shot. Then another to the chest when it turned. Then IT DID come CHARGING down the hill snorting and looking for me. However this Elmer Fudd hid behind a tree to reload his .450 DR and then popped around and shot it again in the shoulder/chest, a huge spray of blood in the air and it collapsed.

So one reason few might be answered is real charges are often quite rare outside of magazines and the internet.

IMO anyway.

Hopefully some guys can comment though from real experience.

I do like the idea of my .450 NE double rifle with 480 gr RNSP or FMJs if ever needed for this purpose though.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: Killing vs. Stopping. [Re: ozhunter]
      #162946 - 29/06/10 01:09 AM

If you hunt often big game, statiscally you have sometimes a attack ! A big bore is more that a insurance because your mother ( or the PH ! ) is not always behind you !

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #162947 - 29/06/10 01:12 AM

I have never experienced a charge from an elephant or buffalo, but I have shot several buffalo using frontal shots, both with my .505 and with my .458. In every occasion the buffalo succumbed to the shot, but not immediately. My only experience with a charge was with a black rhino, and true to what I had read and heard, turning him was not a problem. In fact, he did as neat a 180 degree turn after the first shot as I could imagine.

My advice would be to use as heavy a caliber as you can comfortably shoot with under stressful conditions, keeping in mind that you will be pumped full of adrenaline when the time comes. Accuracy is much more important than brute force. Blazing any number of shots into an animal's carcass is far less effectual than one shot in the right place.

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: Killing vs. Stopping. *DELETED* [Re: xausa]
      #162948 - 29/06/10 01:24 AM

Post deleted by grandveneur

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: Killing vs. Stopping. *DELETED* [Re: grandveneur]
      #162953 - 29/06/10 01:50 AM

Edited by grandveneur (29/06/10 01:50 AM)

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: Killing vs. Stopping. *DELETED* [Re: grandveneur]
      #162955 - 29/06/10 01:56 AM

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
      #162984 - 29/06/10 09:08 AM

OK, all I've done is stop a Cape Buffalo at 6 yards. He'd already taken one to the chest area and wasn't coming very fast, but he sure wanted a piece of me, or at least looked like it, and I wasn't going to discuss the matter at length.

Rifle: Remington .416 Rem. Mag. Load: Hornady 400-gr Soft Point. Last shot went just under the nose. The bullet looked like it had been stepped on by Superman. Not a real charge, however exciting enough for me.

If it wasn't such a pain for a Luddite like me to post photos, I'd show you a few. The Remington had a KDF muzzle brake, and NO ONE would stand near that gun. LOUD!

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Killing vs. Stopping. [Re: poprivit]
      #162987 - 29/06/10 09:56 AM

6 yards! Wow, you know they don't want to be your friend when they get that close.

I've only ever seen charges on DVD - Cape Buffalo and Elephant. Big bores and body shots aren't always instant stoppers. I've even see an asiatic water buffalo take 6 well placed shots (behind the shoulder) from a 9.3x74 (?) double before it fell over. The buffalo did run in this case, but the other way, and the shooter had to chase it.

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Killing vs. Stopping. [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #163053 - 30/06/10 09:15 AM

I haven't experienced a proper charge myself. My only experience is as follows:

- A friend of mine had wounded a bull buffalo with my .416 Rigby, and when he approached to finish it, the buffalo came at him. My friend turned and ran as fast as he could back to where we were. I snatched a .308 from a fellow who had his hands full with a video camera (that wasn't working), but by that time, the buffalo had veered-off slightly and stopped, whirling around to face my friend again. I shot the buffalo side-on on with the .308, and must've hit the spine, because he dropped. The buffalo chased my friend for about twenty metres, and maintained a distance of twenty metres behind my friend. The buffalo had been galloping, and my friend was sprinting.

- Another friend of mine had killed a scrub bull with his .375 H&H. We walked up to it, eyeing the accompanying scrub bull who was quite agitated about seventy metres away. I asked if I could borrow the rifle to kill this second bull, and started advancing toward a small tree just ahead to get a steady rest. The bull began to run toward us, but not directly; it ran in a shallow arc, and I hit it twice in the chest at about fifty metres as it galloped, and it crashed. I then put a finisher in. The ammunition was factory 300 grain soft points.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Killing vs. Stopping. [Re: Ben]
      #163062 - 30/06/10 01:00 PM

Just read an interesting article on this regarding actually shooting a .577 on elephant..an important item on the report was the velocity of the ammo used in 2 seperate cases on two bulls --the bullets failed to penetrate..later chronographed it was found the ammo was only traveling at 1800 fps...not enough, per the article, to penetrate the big bulls of Botswana..

Have had several PH'S tell me, again, for the big bulls as those in Botswana, 2300 fps is near ideal..

Based on the above, think the biggest gun one can handle and shoot accurately and provide the needed penetration is the way to go...have never felt a need to use anything bigger than my .416 but plan to use the .470 on my next ele hunt anyway...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Killing vs. Stopping. [Re: Ripp]
      #163069 - 30/06/10 04:19 PM

Quote:

Just read an interesting article on this regarding actually shooting a .577 on elephant..an important item on the report was the velocity of the ammo used in 2 seperate cases on two bulls --the bullets failed to penetrate..later chronographed it was found the ammo was only traveling at 1800 fps...not enough, per the article, to penetrate the big bulls of Botswana..

Have had several PH'S tell me, again, for the big bulls as those in Botswana, 2300 fps is near ideal..

Ripp,

I would question that conclusion. Not from experience with shooting an elephant with a .577 shooting bullets at 1800 fps, but from a gut feel.

Also the 2300 fps, most, if not all, of the big NE cartridges, shoot at the muzzle slower than this, usually around 2000 fps to 2100 fps, and have always seemed pretty effective to me.

A lot of magazine articles always seem to me to have a lot of "writer's licence" inserted in them.

JMO.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Killing vs. Stopping. [Re: NitroX]
      #163071 - 30/06/10 05:42 PM

"I have a number of friends in the Nairobi cemetary who put their faith in magazine rifles. I have relied on a Holland and Holland .500 double barrel fitted with a 24" barrel and weighing 10 pounds 5 ounces. If it had failed even once I would not now be writing these notes" from the late great J.A. Hunter (I think he killed 1400 elephant and has the world record on Rhino under control work.

Must have been a marvel to be in Africa back in those days !
regards
Mike

404bearslayer
.300 member

Reged: 28/04/09
Loc: Germany
Re: Killing vs. Stopping. [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #163082 - 30/06/10 07:05 PM

I have to agree with J.A. Hunter. In my opinion, the .500 NE double is probably the very best in balancing raw 'whacking power', penetration and shootability. If I had to buy a double again, I would probably choose this caliber and use GSC expanding Flat Nose solids in it for stopping situations.

My .470 can do pretty much the same however, when loaded to sufficient speeds with the right bullet: I've shot 500 grain TB Sledgehammer solids into media at 2100 f/s and GSC 500 grain FN solids at almost 2300 f/s into the same media. The slow Sedgehammers basically just drilled holes, as was to be expected. The fast GSC FN solid however, drilled even further while showing the disruptive qualities of a soft. That is my personal experience. If you furthermore look at field reports of .470 owners who reload (for example on reloadersnest.com), it seems that stopping power in a .470 makes a big step forward from about 2200 f/s on, regardless of bullet. So my best bet for a stopping rifle would be a hot-rodded .470 or a .500 NE. Going higher has more drawbacks then advantages in my opinion, especially in regard to recoil, weight of rifle and penetration.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #163106 - 30/06/10 11:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ripp,

I would question that conclusion. Not from experience with shooting an elephant with a .577 shooting bullets at 1800 fps, but from a gut feel.

Also the 2300 fps, most, if not all, of the big NE cartridges, shoot at the muzzle slower than this, usually around 2000 fps to 2100 fps, and have always seemed pretty effective to me.

A lot of magazine articles always seem to me to have a lot of "writer's licence" inserted in them.

JMO.

John,
The article I was referring to was written by Boddington--think it is in either Shooting Times or Sports Afield-current edition..also the elephant hunts described in the article were shown on Tracks Across Africa--you could see the bullets hit the head--actually looked like a good hit, but no effect other than the bull turned to leave but was put down with multiple follow up shots..

As to the 2300 fps..when I was last in Zim in '08--had Len (PH) from Chifuti, who had done quite a bit of hunting in Botswana, tell me the bulls there were noticeably larger than in some other areas..told me in his experience, the preferred fps to penetrate from ALL angles was the 2300 fps..Two other PH's sitting in camp agreed with that statement...I should have been more specific...

I have only shot one elephant in my life..can tell you using a Barnes solid at 2440 fps out of a custom bolt in .416 Rem it blew out of her head behind the opposite ear, hit a small tree, come out the other side and kept going..Obviously plenty of penetration...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: Killing vs. Stopping. [Re: Ripp]
      #163109 - 01/07/10 12:23 AM

Have faced a charging buffalo from 13 paces with 9.3x62 along with PH that had .375 H&H - 4 shots in ~3-4 seconds and it was all over.

My first shot was aimed under the chin but hit the lover jaw - sort of uppercut knocked the buff on his front knees, PH's shot hit buff under the spine (didn't broke the spine) but put its hind legs to the ground - my second shot hit it right on the shoulder joint (buff was geting back on his front legs) and knocked it down - it couldn't get back since - my 3rd was a side brainshot that put lights out. I was using FN solids (Northfork and Bridger's) PH was shooting Woodleigh RN solids.

gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
Re: Killing vs. Stopping. [Re: 93mouse]
      #164701 - 21/07/10 08:48 PM

Never had any real DG charges - one scrub bull who came after taking a couple of shots with a lightish cal (.308) - a single shot between the eyes at around 8m put paid to that pretty quickly.

The most memorable charge I have had was actually a pig (Boar of around 80kg) - came on like a freight train through the long grass, had real intent and was very diificult to hit on the way in given the lack of visibility - cleaned him up with a couple of shots at very close range(about 2m,)

I tend to use the 375 for alot of hunting nowadays - mainly for fun not for stopping specifically although it has proven emphatic on everything shot with it so far (incl one Buff (asiatic) with a single shot to the shoulder with a 300gr pill)

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Killing vs. Stopping. [Re: gwh]
      #164723 - 22/07/10 02:45 AM

I was on an island in the Zambezi near Sapi hunting hippo on land. We boated to the far side and walked in, leopard crawling the last 75 or so yards. We were concealed by some grass about chest high. The old bull had been pushed out of the pod and had several deep scars. As he fed slowly in our direction I prepared to stand and fire. My PH was 25 yards behind and the tracker, Magara Diirapenga (also a PH I found out later) was beside me as we prepared to stand. We stood up with the bull at 15 steps and he immediately dropped his head and cocked his ears and took a couple of quick steps in our direction. I misjudged as he had dropped his head and shot high of the brain. The 500 grain Hornady solid from my .458 lott struck the back of his head and passed through 40 inches of spine. He dropped to the shot and immediately gushed blood from his nostrils. He didnt move or make a sound other than some gurgling as he bled out. I was fortunate to have used enough gun, a comment made by my PH, Gary Fraser after the bull expired. I know under some conditions that smaller caliber rifles are used with success on hippo, but in this instance I think the big bore was a blessing. Magara had a .450 Rigby at the ready, but I was glad it wasn't needed. I was informed of the opportunity to take this problem hippo during a buffalo hunt and almost passed. I am very glad I reconsidered and spent an extra day on the Zambezi. It was the crown jewel of the safari. I was also able to spend time with Roger Whittall and Anne in Sapi where they were vacationing with family on a tigerfishing trip. They were quite happy to be rid of the ill tempered hippo occupying a nice stretch of prime fishing. A trip to remember. I hope to hunt hippo again.

Edited by bigmaxx (22/07/10 03:13 AM)

andrevannibos
.224 member

Reged: 22/11/07
Loc: North West Province South Afri...
Re: Killing vs. Stopping. [Re: bigmaxx]
      #165171 - 29/07/10 04:44 PM

Bottom line
If you use a medium bore, make sure that you are a surgeon with it. If not, you might find yourself praying for something bigger.But, then again, I have seen guys so afraid of their big stoppers that they would be better armed with a base ball bat. And it is not true that you will 'forget' about the recoil in a stressful situation.

We use light loads for training rangers, it improves muscle memory better when you do not fear the rifle. When the tsama hits the mopani tree, they should theoretically have enough muscle memory (read reflex reaction to the charge), training, and guts to face what is coming.
Been there, done that

Groetnis
Andre

93mouse
.375 member

Re: Killing vs. Stopping. [Re: andrevannibos]
      #165181 - 29/07/10 07:51 PM

Well said - so - would an ultimate defense weapon against wounded DG (from leopard, lion, buff - not sure about elephant tho) be probably something semi-auto with 10 shot mag in .30 cal loaded with something that penetrates deep and straight and feeds reliably?

Ndumo
.300 member

Reged: 21/12/03
Loc: Namibia
      #165240 - 30/07/10 05:09 PM

Shoot what you can shoot accurately, even if its a .375.
I have seen plenty of missed brain shots with calibers up to .577 and .600 NE express that failed to drop elephant. I always thought that it is the margin that you miss the brain by that stunns or drops a non brain shot elephant, not the caliber that was used. Saying that, I will take on any charging elephant a .375 that I know well with complete confidance, as on elephant specifically, I think shot placement is the deciding factor. (also on the cats). On buffalo however, where I believe your shot options are more limited in a charge, I would like something bigger in a charge, but am 100% comfortable with a hunter/ client taking the first shot with a .375 class cartridge. On a recent buffalo hunt, a father and son shot these 2 buffalo with 3 shots from my 9,3x64. The 3rd shot was probaply not needed, the father gave it to the departing buffalo, on the left shoulder, we recovered the solid close to the right hip.

--------------------
Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris (Pty) Ltd.
karl@huntingsafaris.net
www.huntingsafaris.net
+264 811 285 416

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Killing vs. Stopping. [Re: Ndumo]
      #165271 - 31/07/10 02:39 AM

Just on this subject, I have just come out of the bush yesterday where one of the PH's was forced to kill a bull Ele in self defense. They where hunting Zebra when he came out from behind them. The client was asked to put a shot over its head as it came, which only sped it up, then the PH shot it in the head with a 458Win which stumbled it long enough to put a second shot in. As it fell the client also shot and thought the PH was crushed as it was above him!!!
PH over some Vodka told me he should have been dead!
I do like the idea of a 470NE in Ele country!!
Another bugger was that the Eles tusks weighed 60 and 78lbs!!!! What a waist.
Thankfully PH, client, Clients wife and two trackers are OK.

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
      #165298 - 31/07/10 07:50 AM

Nice bulls, Karl, and nice-shooting by the PH, Ozhunter.

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Killing vs. Stopping. [Re: Ben]
      #165557 - 03/08/10 12:03 AM

Could it be the character of cape buffaloes has changed a bit in the past 100 years? This might seem a crazy question but, as an analogy, I hear that in some parts of NZ red stags have evolved not to roar because those that did got shot, leaving those that didn't to do the diddling.

The reason I wonder is because John Afred Jordan said that buffalo hate humans so much that at the mere smell of one they would try to seek him out, kill him and strip his bones.

Is this still a recognised pattern or do they generally only become maliciously dangerous once wounded?

Not having read 'Mangoso' then, I went to Moz and followed buff for several days that wanted nothing to do with us. Only when some elephants threatened them did they come rushing up a hill, some passing close by and some stopping a few yards in front of us.

Maybe the charge-stopping, big-game rifle has taken care of the extra-stroppy strain that came looking for trouble, leaving the more-circumspect ones to carry on, in some areas at least.

Edited by Paul (03/08/10 12:10 AM)

93mouse
.375 member

Re: Killing vs. Stopping. [Re: Paul]
      #165644 - 03/08/10 04:55 PM

Quote:

Could it be the character of cape buffaloes has changed a bit in the past 100 years?

Well I am not around for 100 years, but I guess it hasn't. They might get some education, since in heavy hunted areas they are skittish as hell and they would be running at the very first sign of a human proximity - that might be a difference according to 100 years ago. When I was in Zim (May) we were realy pushing them hard and it was only at one occasion when we bumped them 5-6 times that they circled the tall grass and returned to the same patch of jesse they were bumped out of. Only then a PH advised that we are wearing them thin and it wouldn't be wise to push them any further - so we left them then.

grandveneur
.400 member

#379929 - 09/10/23 10:56 PM

Quote:

The question is interesting.

It is known that a cartridge 375 H&H Magnum has little stopping effect. I can report stories from people I know. If you need weapons in the class 500 to 577 can be discussed. A friend of mine, for years PH in Zimbabwe and also did backup on elephant hunts, was at last of the opinion that a cartridge caliber 416 Remington Magnum or 416 Rigby would be enough, but he still carried his rifle caliber 458 Win Mag with him on a elephant hunt.

Personally, I would also rather trust weapons in caliber 458 and upwards.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#379947 - 10/10/23 10:17 PM

Quote:

Personally, I would also rather trust weapons in caliber 458 and upwards.

I agree. With a .500 or larger being a step up as a stopper.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
      #380199 - 19/10/23 09:58 AM

I will admit to limited experience of shooting and stopping big game rifles on big grumpy animals. But I am not convinced that horse power is the be all and end all of knocking any animal off its feet and rendering it completely unconscious, which is after all what you want when stopping an animal from either charging you or running off into the deepest darkest bush and depriving you of its carcass.

If a 100gn 243 bullet with a bit under 2,000 ft lbs is perfectly good for a 50 or a 100kg animal, then in proportion for a 1,000kg buffalo or a 7,000 kg elephant you need a lot bigger and a lot more horsepower than a 500gn bullet with 5,000 ft lbs.

Surely whats required for a good stopping rifle is a rifle that the hunter shoots and can hit a small target instinctively, and that then has a bullet with stout enough construction and enough energy and shockwave to cause catastrophic damage to the central nervous system so the animal collapses and the same time doing enough damage to major blood vessels so that it suffers catastrophic loss of blood to it’s major organs that it never regains consciousness. And a good knowledge of an animals anatomy helps as well. Provided the bullet has the penetration and is in the right spot it will work. I would question how much a bigger gun compensates for lack of good shot placement.

Certainly my experience on smaller animals is that a bullet from a 300 win mag in the guts will still go a long way. Whereas a 243 through the vitals will be dead on the spot.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Killing vs. Stopping. [Re: HeymSR20]
      #380204 - 19/10/23 01:10 PM

As aweful as it sounds, if you blow that deers guts up or out, it still won't go far. A small hole in the guts it will go a long way. Eventually did a painfully death.

Breaking important bones is also part of stopping vs killing.

Shock. A near brain miss with a more powerful cartridge might stun an elephant. Whereas from a lighter bullet, next to no effect.

Adrenalin plays a big part too. Wounded and angry, harder to put down.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #380214 - 20/10/23 04:21 AM

I've read a brain shot from a .600 Nitro, that misses the actual brain by a few minutes will knock the elephant out for up to 20 minutes.

The .577 Nitro, 10 minutes, or so.

Those are Stopping Rifles, imho.

You can kill an elephant with a 300gr. solid from a .375 H&H, however, it is not a stopping rifle ctg., it is a killing rifle, useful for hunting, not stopping.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: Killing vs. Stopping. [Re: DarylS]
      #380216 - 20/10/23 07:11 AM

I did not read it but practiced it and was able to observe it myself as an elephant that I tried to shot with the cartridge 500 Schüler and a brain shot, but unfortunately missed the brain, first go down but then immediately got up. Luckily the tracking was successful.

One reason why I prefer the heart shot on elephant in all cases. Two elephants shot in this way with the cartridge 500 Schüler went down on the place.

grandveneur
.400 member

#380218 - 20/10/23 08:09 AM

Stopped and kill with a Hornady 500gr FMJ bullet of a cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum and a frontal brain shot.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #380219 - 20/10/23 08:18 AM

A 375 can be a stopping cartridge on and Elephant. If you shoot and break a leg the Elephant cannot move as they cannot walk on three legs. So I would say that a stopping cartridge is dependent on the projectile and the animal you are hunting.

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: Killing vs. Stopping. [Re: Rule303]
      #380220 - 20/10/23 08:28 AM

One hunt elephants with cartridges caliber 458 and above, and then one can do without unnecessary animal cruelty like shooting in the legs and so on.

grandveneur
.400 member

#380221 - 20/10/23 08:46 AM

Problem buffalo in an oil palm plantation in Malaysia shot with a cartridge 9,3x74R and a DWM 19g FMJ bullet, frontal shot. Stopped, but a second shot was necessary to kill it. Marginal cartridge for this purpose.

grandveneur
.400 member

#380222 - 20/10/23 09:02 AM

Buffalo in the swamps of Kilombero in South Tanzania stopped and killed while running with one heart shot with the cartridge 10,75x68 and the classic thin-walled RWS 22,5g FMJ bullet, a bullet that I classify in the meantime as more than marginal for shooting big game. However, in this case it worked well.

grandveneur
.400 member

#380223 - 20/10/23 09:16 AM

Summarized and in conclusion, stay on the safe side and use enough gun.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#380273 - 23/10/23 04:06 PM

Good photos.

I'd love a stopping .577 double rifle.

But one can only carry one rifle. My .450 will do for now and the future. It does well anyway.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#380274 - 23/10/23 04:08 PM

Btw I think I was told at the BGRC Nationals that David Little of Kynamco / Kynoch is no longer making Kynoch ammunition. Is this so?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

grandveneur
.400 member

#380278 - 23/10/23 08:21 PM

Unfortunately I do not know that either.

The cartridges shown are from the fifties and sixties, and except one pack, all of them are loaded with Cordite.

Rule303
.416 member

#380280 - 23/10/23 08:47 PM

Quote:

One hunt elephants with cartridges caliber 458 and above, and then one can do without unnecessary animal cruelty like shooting in the legs and so on.

Yes and No. Miss a vital with any calibre and the animal is still moving. Now when we are talking Stopping Cartridges we are talking about stopping the animal in a charge generally after the first shot has not done its job. So breaking and Elephants leg in these situations is a very wise move. It stops it and a finishing shot can be delivered. Don't break the leg, a very good target and miss the brain, you end up dead. From what I have read some of the so called stopping cartridges do not stop the Ele with a near miss of the brain, a leg bone shot does.

If the Elephant has been wounded and is moving away then a spine, hip or leg shot is recommended to stop it.

Hunting Elephant with a 458 is shown to be no more effective than with a 416 or 404. If you can't handle a 458 but can a 375, the 375 is the better cartridge for you.

Now if the Elephant is charging you and is not wounded I would be going for a brain or spine shot.

Remembering most other animals cans till move on 3 legs and more susceptible to a near miss of the brain from a large calibre. Least ways that is what I have been told and witnessed with domestic cattle.

Rule303
.416 member

#380281 - 23/10/23 08:49 PM

Quote:

Problem buffalo in an oil palm plantation in Malaysia shot with a cartridge 9,3x74R and a DWM 19g FMJ bullet, frontal shot. Stopped, but a second shot was necessary to kill it. Marginal cartridge for this purpose.

Nice looking young Buff. Any idea why it was a problem animal?

grandveneur
.400 member

#380286 - 23/10/23 09:58 PM

Quote:

... . Any idea why it was a problem animal?

Sure, otherwise we would not have shot it. There is no hunting in Malaysia like we know it from Africa.

The buffalo was coming from the jungle into the oil palm plantation and regularly attacked the workers. They are calling for help and that was the reason why I shot it.

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
      #380292 - 24/10/23 02:59 AM

Breaking bone and/or destroying the brain or spinal cord are the 2 things that STOP animals. If the bullet does either, the stop is instant regardless of what gun or caliber it is fired from. It's obvious that a 500 is far less likely to break up or deviate then a 308 Winchester, but IF the 308 bullet could get through in a straight line and hit the vital targets it's going to drop animals as fast and a 500 or even a 600.

That's a very big "if"

That "if" is the the reason we have or use big guns with big bullets.

But adding power or bullet mass only goes so far. A poor hit that doesn't destroy the brain, spinal cord or break a big bone is not going to be any more effective at stopping a charge (or a "get-away) from a huge gun then it is from a mid size gun. I am sure the larger diameter would will bleed out faster, but enough faster to make a real difference if the animal was charging is doubtful to me. I am sure the 4 bore rifles I've made for customers would bleed out a buffalo or elephant faster then a 375, but if the buff or elephant only hammered you for 6 seconds as opposed to 12 seconds but you were dead or crippled for life in 3 seconds, I'd wonder how much you really gained with the 4 bore.

In the late 70s I had 11 months in 3 African countries and the only 2 rifle calibers I used were 308 (7.62 NATO) and a 404 Jeffery. I also got to see a few 458 Winchesters used. Comparing the 458s and the 404 what I can conclude is that all good hits were equally effective, so-so hits were semi effective and poor hits were not very effective. Old Kynoch 404 ammo shot 400 grain bullets at about 2150. New German 404 ammo shot a 400 grain bullet at about 2400. The 458s shot 500 grain bullets at 2050. I saw no difference, shot to shot, between any of them.

Bullet placement and bullet construction/design were/are vital.

All other things seem to exist for the sole purpose of giving hunters subject matter to debate, but none really seemed to truly matter in the field.

Rule303
.416 member

#380298 - 24/10/23 08:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

... . Any idea why it was a problem animal?

Sure, otherwise we would not have shot it. There is no hunting in Malaysia like we know it from Africa.

The buffalo was coming from the jungle into the oil palm plantation and regularly attacked the workers. They are calling for help and that was the reason why I shot it.

Thanks. Knew that about Malaysia was just wondering if it was because the animal was destroying plants or if it was also going after the workers.

Rule303
.416 member

Re: Killing vs. Stopping. [Re: szihn]
      #380299 - 24/10/23 08:14 AM

szihn, you said this better than I.

chuck375
.333 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: Colorado Springs CO
      #380300 - 24/10/23 09:01 AM

I have no experience hunting in Africa, but I love my 500 Jeffery and I love this poster!

--------------------
"There's a saying in prize fighting: Everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Edited by chuck375 (24/10/23 09:02 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Killing vs. Stopping. [Re: chuck375]
      #380312 - 24/10/23 04:26 PM

People always talking about a .275 or a .308 or a .375 if shot well and penetrating the brain, breaking the spine etc aren't talking about a stopping rifle.

Of course a 900 gr bullet or a 175 gr bullet penetrating the brain well will kill an animal.

A stopping rifle isn't about good precise bullet placement. It's about rushed shots, charges, missed brains, body shots. It's about knocking a lion down, a leaping leopard, a buffalo heads down at close range, an elephant coming fast, in the O,d days arhino with itshorn in the way.

It's about flattening the beast, stunning it, raking it from end to end, shoking it's brain, causing massive muscle, tissue and organ damage.

I remember a PH telling me a .500 Asquare was useful for flattening a lion "boiling out from the bush". He also had a .460 Asquare. The .500 was better he said for flattening an attacking lion.

A .375 solid to an elephant's or buffalo's brain will kill it. A miss on the brain might not even cause it to flinch, especially the elephant. A 570 gr .500, a 750 gr .577, a 900 gr might crack the skull, stun the beast, even kill it. At the least might give time for the killing shot.

No one flinches on the internet, so recoil is never a problem. So of course a lesser recoiling rifle is a better choice if one has nothing else, or can't handle a very heavy recoiling rifle. A well aimed shot is always better than a flinched miss.

For the cool superbly practised shot, a .375 or a .275 or .318 can be a stopper. Mere mortals need help and a hammer.

For me a stopper begins at the .450s, and preferably a .500. A thick bush or scrub rifle for DG is the same.

Unless one has a gun bearer, the modern world is a world of compromise. A client or self hunter can only carry one rifle. The usual choice is the .375 to .450 range. If specific on buffalo, elephant etc maybe something larger.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

grandveneur
.400 member

#380313 - 24/10/23 06:32 PM

I can completely agree with that, but I don't know what experience the various hunters who have posted here have with hunting big and dangerous game.

I have my experience with this hunt, and cartridges caliber 9,3mm or 375, and to some extent also 416, have little place in this discussion about stopping and killing when something goes wrong.

I never meet a PH who used anything smaller than 458 Winchester Magnum or 458 lott for backup when hunting elephants. Some were very enthusiastic about the cartridge 505 Gibbs, and in many cases it is the price of all these weapons that unfortunately prevents some PH from purchasing a rifle in caliber 50.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#380315 - 24/10/23 08:25 PM

Yes my experience has been witha 9.3x74R, .375 H&H Mag, .450 no.2 NE. MY .404 and 10-bore will add to that sooner than later.

The rest is armchair, internet chat and beliefs gathered over 40 years from others with more and all sorts of experience.

I've shot larger rifles, up to the .600 NE. In an ideal world, I'd get to use some of these on elephant, buffalo, lion, surviving all sorts of adventures. Or not!

I'm reasonably happy with my 9.3, .375, .404, .450 and 10-bore in the meantime.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

chuck375
.333 member

#380406 - 28/10/23 01:29 AM

Quote:

I can completely agree with that, but I don't know what experience the various hunters who have posted here have with hunting big and dangerous game.

I have my experience with this hunt, and cartridges caliber 9,3mm or 375, and to some extent also 416, have little place in this discussion about stopping and killing when something goes wrong.

I never meet a PH who used anything smaller than 458 Winchester Magnum or 458 lott for backup when hunting elephants. Some were very enthusiastic about the cartridge 505 Gibbs, and in many cases it is the price of all these weapons that unfortunately prevents some PH from purchasing a rifle in caliber 50.

Well as the proud owner of a CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery, the first time I took it out was for load development. I put 30 rounds (5 different loads with a 570g TSX) through it from the bench (the last load chrono'd at 2510 fps. I was wearing a T-Shirt like an idiot and once I my shoulder started aching I soldiered on. My shoulder bruise was epic. I've never had a flinch but was desperately afraid I would get one so I didn't shoot it again for two months, did a lot of dry firing and when I went back to the range all was well. It's now my favorite rifle to shoot (in small doses). I can tell you having shot a 458 Win Magnum, the difference in recoil was startling. I'm happy with my rifle glad I had it built, but would strongly advise anyone contemplating buying a "big 50" they shoot someone elses before they go down that path. Some pics

My 500 Jeffery

[img]http://i.imgur.com/BD0shRU.jpg?1[/img]

My last 3 shot groups at 50 yards (570g TSX at 2300 fps). I don't usually do this (once it groups well and it's sighted in I practice offhand and sitting). This was NOT from the first day.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Ti0lQWX.jpg?1[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/mOXPJI5.jpg[/img]

My epic shoulder bruise the day after. My wife made me go to the doctor, he asked me which end of the rifle caused it lol It actually got worse the next several days

[img]http://i.imgur.com/eWD7vjm.jpg[/img]

--------------------

Edited by chuck375 (28/10/23 01:37 AM)

grandveneur
.400 member

#380407 - 28/10/23 02:27 AM

I think that one buy big bore rifles because they are needed for something special and not because they have a bigger caliber and do more recoil that the rifle of the neighbor.

Of course, this assumes that you can handle such weapons. As already written, nowadays it no longer has to be a weapon caliber 50 or bigger. The production of the cartridge 416 Rigby at the beginning of the 20° Century has resulted in some DR caliber 577 Nitro Express remaining in the gun safe. The stopping effect of the cartridge 416 Rigby can be discussed, but a rifle caliber 458 with a strong built-up FMJ bullet is certainly a rifle to use nowadays for stopping and killing the biggest game. Such weapons are also much easier to handle than rifles caliber 50 and above.

Rule303
.416 member

#380415 - 28/10/23 10:01 AM

Quote:

I think that one buy big bore rifles because they are needed for something special and not because they have a bigger caliber and do more recoil that the rifle of the neighbor.

Of course, this assumes that you can handle such weapons. As already written, nowadays it no longer has to be a weapon caliber 50 or bigger. The production of the cartridge 416 Rigby at the beginning of the 20° Century has resulted in some DR caliber 577 Nitro Express remaining in the gun safe. The stopping effect of the cartridge 416 Rigby can be discussed, but a rifle caliber 458 with a strong built-up FMJ bullet is certainly a rifle to use nowadays for stopping and killing the biggest game. Such weapons are also much easier to handle than rifles caliber 50 and above.

As you said assuming one can handle the larger calibres. If they cannot, then saying a bigger calibre is to be used is incorrect. As discussed, to use a calibre you cannot handle is a mistake. If you are thinking that one should use the biggest calibre they can handle, I would agree with.

My recoil tolerance id a 450 grain bullet from a 416 Rigby, yes, I can handle a 458Win as to me this kicks less, but I feel more confident with the 416. Yes I have hunted Elephant and Buffalo but not in any numbers. As to a FMJ I would prefer a mono metal bullet like the Woodleigh Hydro or the ones made by some South African manufactures others made in the US. Preferably with a cup nose or Metplate.

I would love to be able to tolerate the recoil from a 505 Gibbs etc.

grandveneur
.400 member

#380425 - 28/10/23 06:00 PM

If you cannot handle a big bore rifle, there is also the alternative of not hunting big game.

There are a few things in all discussions that are distorted because the absolute majority of hunters who hunt big game have a PH with them, a hunter who is right armed for this hunt and ensures safety. That is why one can hunt big game with medium and large medium bore cartridges without any concerns. If some had to hunt alone, they would look at things differently.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#380427 - 28/10/23 09:25 PM

If one could hunt big game and dangerous game without a PH slot wouldn't do it.

Myself I found it far more fun and enjoyable.

Very true, the choice of tool, the firearm, is given more thought, less stuntster choices, more effectiveness desired. All on ones londsome self ...

I like my Jeffery DR .450 NE for that reason.

Carrying a BLR .308 once for real pigs and feral donkeys, I questioned whether four or five round magazine was enough for the grumpy scrub bull glaring at me from above on the slope. Luckily he never charged. I didn't have permission to shoot scrub bulls as well.

A 9.3 or .375 would have been preferable. Or some medium bore, 8mm and up.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

chuck375
.333 member

#380430 - 29/10/23 03:25 AM

When I was young and immortal in my 20s i was an assistant guide in the Bob Marshall. Hard work but exciting. I was the backup. I had a BDL in 270, I thought that was a canon! Now that I'm just starting to do guided hunts, I like that too!

--------------------

Edited by chuck375 (30/10/23 03:21 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #380433 - 29/10/23 04:33 AM

When I was guiding, a .458 of some sort, either .458 American (400gr.Barnes @ 2,150fps), or the .458 Alaskan (.400gr. Barnes at 2,300fps) was my back-up rifle. Only needed the .458 2" once, on a black bear at very close range.

Hunting by myself for years, with the .458 2" or a .375 of one sort or another. Even used a .257 Ackley IMP on moose one fall.
If I go out hunting now, it's my 1936 Winchester .30GVT06. 180's at 2,745fps. I just love that rifle. The .375 stays in the lockup.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rule303
.416 member

#380436 - 29/10/23 11:42 AM

Quote:

If you cannot handle a big bore rifle, there is also the alternative of not hunting big game.

There are a few things in all discussions that are distorted because the absolute majority of hunters who hunt big game have a PH with them, a hunter who is right armed for this hunt and ensures safety. That is why one can hunt big game with medium and large medium bore cartridges without any concerns. If some had to hunt alone, they would look at things differently.

To me the not hunting the big game is not an option unless I was only able to handle 30-06 recoil. I would comfortably hunt by myself with confidence in the 416 Rigby or the 404 Jeffery.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15364

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com