Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .400 H&H rifle project starts

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Isopeura
.224 member

Reged: 01/06/08
Loc: Finland
.400 H&H rifle project starts
      #121129 - 14/12/08 05:52 AM

Hello everyone,

I am a new guy in this forum and I'd like to start my postings with this rifle project I'm starting out tomorrow morning. All the bits and pieces are together and a new rifle will start to form.

Some history behind this project:

I had a problem deciding which caliber to choose as my "over .40 cal" rifle. There are two things that I personally look for in a rifle caliber: history and a sound technical desing. There seems to be enough to choose from expecially if you look at the history part of this question. There is however a problem if you look at these historically correct cartridges and their technical features. They are usually built around stretched out Mauser 98 actions and therefore reguire a lot of work around the feeding and extracting these cartridges correctly. From somewhere stood out a .400 H&H that was the answer. History side was taken care of as there stands H&H in the headstamp of a cartridge case and the bullet is the same as in those .400 NE cartridges. Heavy pressures will be there but otherwise the technical stuff is sound. This cartridge can be housed in most .375 actions without modifications.

Parts to be used:

I already have a whole bunch of older Sako rifles with long actions (.300 H&H, .375 H&H and .30-06). There is no action I like more - not even several different Mausers I have. So the answer is obvious. Sako L61R magnum action. Trigger and safety are there and no modifications are really needed in the starting point of the project. Oberndorf style bottom metal would be nice, but time really tels if I still want that after I get the piece together.

I ordered a Douglas Premium barrel from Midway Suomi. Chamber reamer was ordered from Dave Manson precision reamers. Cases are from Quality Cartridge. Die set came from CH-4D.

So there it is. Tomorrow the lathe will start to turn and Sako L61R that started out as 7 mm Remington Magnum will end up having a totally different chambering. If enyone is interested, I will keep up posting as the project continues.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: .400 H&H rifle project starts [Re: Isopeura]
      #121132 - 14/12/08 06:29 AM

Quote:

Tomorrow the lathe will start to turn and Sako L61R that started out as 7 mm Remington Magnum will end up having a totally different chambering.

Isn't the 7mm Rem Mag fitted into a standard length action?

Isopeura
.224 member

Re: .400 H&H rifle project starts [Re: Tatume]
      #121142 - 14/12/08 08:15 AM

Tatume,

Usually so, but Sako used to build all of the calibers it listed in only three different actions. L46, L461 and AI were a sort of mini actions for small game rounds as .222 Rem. L57, L579 and AII were in a .308 Win class. Bigger L61R, AIII and AV are all .375 length actions and Sako used them from .25-05 and up. Model 75 and 85 now use medium action too, which is .30-06 length action.

Sako is not alone in this game. Ruger on the other hand is a good example of standard length magnum action which can digest only Win Mag class magnums.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #121174 - 14/12/08 06:38 PM

Sounds like a great project that you must keep us informed with its progress.
Is there going to be any work on the stock design?

Isopeura
.224 member

Re: .400 H&H rifle project starts [Re: ozhunter]
      #121176 - 14/12/08 07:04 PM

Quote:

Is there going to be any work on the stock design?

Not in the first phase. After I finish all the metalwork and get the sights ready, I'll make a new stock in H&H fashion. I have a blank of Turkish walnut that I bought from Germany during my IWA visit earlier this year. The rear sight will be island rear with a recoil lug. Since these are going to be fixed sights, I want all the tinkering to be done prior to a new stock. Sako original will have to be enough until that.

The stock is straight grained with nice flame all through. It has quite solid feel.

Now it's a new day in Finland and I will head for the shop. I'll keep you informed.

Isopeura
.224 member

#121236 - 15/12/08 08:32 AM

Ok, first day is now over with the project and this is what we achieved:

Chamber is reamed and lapped/polished, headspace is naturally checked and barrel is turned into profile and lightly polished (will be glass blasted to a matte finish later on). Basically this rifle would be now ready to shoot except that I'll take it a bit further before I put first rounds through it.

It was quite interesting job to put together a rifle with a cartridge this rare. I believe my biggest thing to worry about was the thing that basically all of the manufacturers involved in this project must have done things by the numbers and therefore I was a little suspicious if everything would fit into place that easily.

At first I thought that it didn't. First try with empty brass was a bit confusing. The case got stuck and had to be slightly forced to chamber. Not a good thing. My first assumption was that the reamer didn't have correct measures. After pondering back and forth I decided to add some colout to a case and turn it in chamber so I could see where the snug fit came from. I suspected the shoulder. Wrong I was. It got stuck from the side walls of the case. Now how weird is that.

I now head for the reloading bench and took three cases (.375, .400 and .458 Win) and pushed them through FL die. All three fitted the chamber with ease as rimmed cartridges usually do when everything is in order. What a relief. I have to admit that I was about to tape a 50 euro bill into barrel and throw the damn thing to river. That way I'd only loose 50 more euros...

Lesson here was that although QC cases looked like they were ready, they all had a systematic dimensional issue that confused us during the early stages of the project. Reason to this can be various. Either QC didn't have the correct measures or they have somehow during the manufacturing process created a bulb to the walls. More likely reason might be that the brass used must have been so elastic that it had bounced back a little bit and therefore the part that should have been straight was a little bit radiused. This is IMO a thing that doesn't normally happen with more common cartridges where cartridge go/no go gages can be used.

Oh, the best part. Feeding and extracting where there. Nothing will be changed or altered. Just as smooth and flawless as in my .375 and .300 H&H.

Barrel profile was borrowed quite ruthlessly from Ruger M77 .416 Rigby and only alterations were that I added just a bit weight to the rear and and took away from the front. This reduces the nose heaviness which easily botheres big rifles.

To be continued...

Isopeura
.224 member

#121410 - 17/12/08 08:02 PM

Projects are fun due to the fact that things change from the planned. As I thought that I'll take the Sako stock and open up the barrel channel, my buddy stopped me and claimed the original condition stock for himself. He looked a bit serious about the matter so I thought I'll give him the stock and make a new one from the blank that I have.

So I started to think about the stock. My idea of a stock is pretty much the H&H style and such. At first it seemed easy but since I don't have any dimensions readily available, I started to think other options. At this point my buddy said that there is a stockmaker who has a CNC machine and program for Sako action. Interesting.

It turned out that he also had program for Sako Safari stock. Ok, I'll send the blank to him and hopefully get a roughly finished stock back.

Am I making here a Sako Safari that never existed..?

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #121640 - 20/12/08 01:49 PM

Isopeura

Pictures?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Isopeura
.224 member

Re: .400 H&H rifle project starts [Re: mickey]
      #121767 - 21/12/08 08:40 PM

Here are some pictures from the original 7mm Mag and .400 H&H with barrel. I will get more today as I get to the camera...

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #121776 - 22/12/08 12:37 AM

Nice!

Not many men have done or mentioned their .400 H&H projects. Look forward to the end product and shooting impressions.

BTW, I'm doing a .7mm to .375 H&H on a 1982 B series left hand Remington BDL. Report to follow.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Isopeura
.224 member

Re: .400 H&H rifle project starts [Re: bonanza]
      #121824 - 22/12/08 07:18 AM

bonanza,

Thanks for the supporting words!

I believe there aren't that many .400 H&H's around. I think CH-4D is the only source for dies at the moment and their first responce to my request for the availability was that, "there should be a few left. Wi made 10 sets few years ago and the demand hasn't been that high."

Your project sounds great too. I also like Remingtons earlier 700 actions a lot and from the rifle building point of view they are great.

Today I took measurements from the barrel for the sights and barrel band sling swivel stud. I ended up choosing the parts from Recknagel as they offer quite nice selection. The front sight is H&H style with smaller and bigger silver dot. Rear sight is island rear with single leaf. I also ordered the rear sling swivel stud that is to be mounted on stock with two screws.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #121846 - 22/12/08 08:27 AM

I seriously considered a .400 H&H or a .416 Taylor. However, I would want that rifle to weight in around 10 lbs and the 700 action is too light with the factory stock.

I have a 500/450 for the big stuff

B.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #121863 - 22/12/08 10:36 AM

Isopeura,

Very nicely coming along. Yes, please do post continuous pictures as you build her. And, do think about writing an article for our E-zine when you are done. It would be a permanent record in our magazine.

Congratulations in advance!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Isopeura
.224 member

Re: .400 H&H rifle project starts [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #121914 - 22/12/08 08:19 PM

Thanks a lot,

Today the rifle will be shipped for CIP approval and by the time I get it back, I should have the stock and parts. This would be past New Year, I suppose.

I have to think about the article.

Con
.333 member

Reged: 24/05/04
Loc: Victoria
      #122939 - 04/01/09 07:55 AM

Isopeura,
I'm also watching on with considerable interest. Can you just tell me how heavy the barrel contour is that you used again? I'm not familiar with the dimensions of the Ruger RSM's contour. What total weight are you looking at finishing at?
Cheers...
Con

Isopeura
.224 member

Re: .400 H&H rifle project starts [Re: Con]
      #122972 - 04/01/09 09:35 PM

Hi Con,

Target weight of the gun without a scope and mounts is between 9.5-10 lbs (4,3 - 4,5 kg). It really doesn't matter if it goes all the way down to 9 lbs but this is the lower limit. If it weighs a bit more, it doesn't matter either. I'm more conserned about the balance of the gun as it should be heavy enough and yet it should be lively enough. I think that the standard weight of this bore is just this, so I really don't want it to be too heavy (.458 class).

As you can see from the picture, there is almost four inches of straigt bull barrel from the receiver and from there on, the the shape of the barrel is quite straight taper to the muzzle. This way the barrel is quite heavy, yet most of the weight is in the reciever end - resulting hopefully to a rifle that has a balance point between hands. It seems to me that with this action I can place a "kick-stop" to the stock as the action itself is a bit lighter than Mauser 98. Also the sights add a little weight to the front.

To me, it's nose heaviness that bothers me the most in some "safari-rifles" that I've tried. Rugers are a good example: .375 H&H is too nose heavy and .416 Rigby is just right. One should notise that barrel profile is the same in both and .375 is just heavier since it's barrel has smaller hole (more walls). I hope the rifle would be a bit nose heavy in the beginning as it would be a good thing if I could be able to weight the stock just a bit. Normally this isn't necessarily a good thing, but in this case I could also manipulate the top heaviness if i could attach the kick-stop to the bottom portion of the stock.

The actual measures for the barrel were not too exact as I improvised a bit during the process. Actually the bull part of the barrel is the same as the Douglas barrel blank (turned smooth of course). From there on there is a negative radius turn in two and one half inches to a diameter of one inch. Muzzle is 0.485" - if my metric conversions are there

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #122986 - 05/01/09 12:17 AM

Isopeura,
IMHO,9.5LBS would be a good working point for your .400.
I have just spent the weekend playing with my 425WR on our farm. The rifle which weighs 9.5lbs is quite comfortable and you can almost get away with just holding it in one hand by your side all day, yet I find it holds the recoil down well.
A 63cm or 59cm long barrel?
Congrats on your project.
I hope you get the opportunity to hunt Ele with it.

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
      #122994 - 05/01/09 02:46 AM

Quote:

Hi Con,

The actual measures for the barrel were not too exact as I improvised a bit during the process. Actually the bull part of the barrel is the same as the Douglas barrel blank (turned smooth of course). From there on there is a negative radius turn in two and one half inches to a diameter of one inch. Muzzle is 0.485" - if my metric conversions are there

Muzzle is 0.485"..... Way too thin for a .400 cal boltaction sportingrifle...even by H&H standard
You need a traditional stepdown barrel( a la mausers E-type), and a muzzledia @ .600", which is still very thin.
Your gunsmith(if he knows something about classic safari rifles), should be able to fit gun and balance it for you, with the correct drop for ironsights, and fast handling.

Isopeura
.224 member

Re: .400 H&H rifle project starts [Re: rigbymauser]
      #122997 - 05/01/09 03:41 AM

rigbymauser,

Ok, the conversion was all wrong, as I warned you all. As a Dane you must know very well how much more well equipped we would be if we'd only stay in metrics... It's 19 mm, so I think it's closer to 0.75". My mistake.

The fitting for the ironsights has been thought of but I will not make this rifle to be "iron's first" rifle. To me the iron sights are more of a secondary thing than for primary use. Todays telescopic sights are better and more usable than ever and I am more familiar with them anyway. Irons will be "sighted" in so, that a reasonably good hit vertically to about 50-75 meters can be obtained with the front sight alone. The rear sight will be added then to correct the side adjust.

The barrel length is 24", which is close to 61 cm.

ozhunter,

My goal is to make this as close to 9,5 lbs, but I really don't worry about it too much. It seems to be heavier than my .375 but it is not in the neighbourhood of the more massive safari rifles.

Con
.333 member

#123022 - 05/01/09 08:06 AM

Isopeura,
If the muzzle diameter is 0.750" is equates to something like a #5 or a #5.5. Personally I think it'll be a touch too heavy, but as ozhunter suggests, it'll be very very comfortable to shoot.
Friends and I have built three rifles in calibre 458AccRel (500gr at 2230fps with ease) on Ruger MkII actions ... one used a #5 weight contour (0.700" muzzle) shaped like a Ruger factory contour and hence looks exactly like a factory Ruger rifle, one used a #5.5 contour (0.750" muzzle) and extended the barrel shank at the receiver a further inch over Ruger standard, mine runs a #6 straight contour (0.750") with 1" extended shank. With a 45cal hole in the barrel my rifle at 23" weighs 4.3kg with laminated Ruger stock and Leupold 2.5x. At that weight and with a distinct muzzle heaviness it soaks up enough recoil that I haven't replaced the factory pad yet, where the other two have Limbsavers and need them!! My barrel will be docked to 21" eventually which is why I used the heavier contour. It really surprised me how some muzzle heaviness really makes a rifle hold steady and soaks up recoil as the muzzle flip is controlled. Contrast that with a #5 contoured 475" barrel I had on a 470Capstick on a Rem700 ... barely 3.8kg and ever so slightly muzzle nuetral ... I considered Magna-porting but then decided to sell the rifle as 0.475" projectiles aren't exacly plentiful in Australia and I couldn't be bothered fitting recoil reducers and leading the stock to bring the weight up.

Anyway ... reason I'm interested is on another forum there's a thread on a 423/375 wildcat ... pretty much straight walled like a miniaturised 458Lott. I'm considering building one on a Rem700 action just to see how it would go and barrel contours and their effect are what I always struggle to come to terms with! In this 423/375, I'm hoping to see something like a 400gr at 2300fps and a 450gr at 2150fps, so it's not a hard kicker ... but should be very similar ballistically to the 400 H&H.
Cheers...
Con

Edited by Con (05/01/09 08:12 AM)

Isopeura
.224 member

#123029 - 05/01/09 09:35 AM

Hi again,

One should remember that Sako action itself is a bit lighter than most of the usual safari rifle actions such as Mausers and big Rugers. Therefore I wanted a bit more weight to the barrel. I can compensate that with kick-stop if needed.

It is true that nose heaviness will make a rifle more steady but simultaneously it multiplies the mistakes and gives a rifle a will of it's own. I am a competitive sporting clays shooter and I worry quite a lot about gun balance. IMO the rifle should be a tad nose heavy to make it stable, but not too much. Tail heavy is the worst case, obviously. On running shots the nose heaviness is a good thing but if one needs to manouver the gun quickly, the thing is not the same.

I have one good example of perfectly balanced rifle which I made in Zastava Mauser action. It's in .300 H&H and it uses the same principle in barrel contour. It slightly forces the weight of the gun backwards.

When the barreled action comes back from CIP -approval, I will take exact measures from it.

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #123037 - 05/01/09 11:46 AM

Quote:

Isopeura,

Anyway ... reason I'm interested is on another forum there's a thread on a 423/375 wildcat ... pretty much straight walled like a miniaturised 458Lott. I'm considering building one on a Rem700 action just to see how it would go and barrel contours and their effect are what I always struggle to come to terms with! In this 423/375, I'm hoping to see something like a 400gr at 2300fps and a 450gr at 2150fps, so it's not a hard kicker ... but should be very similar ballistically to the 400 H&H.
Cheers...
Con

It seems an awfull lot of trouble to go to, to duplicate the balistics of the .404 Jeffery.
The later Kynoch loading I have here is 400gns @ 2250fps and that can be bettered in a modern action.

Regards

Con
.333 member

Re: .400 H&H rifle project starts [Re: Bramble]
      #123052 - 05/01/09 02:50 PM

Bramble,
Very true, but I'm bitten by the wildcat bug at the moment! Factor in the gunsmithing costs of getting a non-RUM action to feed a 404Jeffery or opening a standard length Mauser derivative, add cost of dies compared to honeing out a set of Lee 375H&H, factor in cost of brass compared to 375H&H (unless you want to use 375RUM brass which works at half the cost of 404 brass!) and the 404Jeffery is up against the wall in everything other than nostalgia. Even the 400 H&H, how many will buy proper headstamped brass compared to just opening 375H&H brass?

Besides, I'd not be game to dishonour the 404Jeffery by placing it in a Rem700 action. If it (423/375) fails to deliver ... its also a very easy rechamber to a 404Jeffery, 425Express, even 10.75x68 if need be.
Cheers...
Con

Isopeura
.224 member

#123063 - 05/01/09 05:30 PM

Actually I must say that I agree with Con in this matter. Technically the old .404 suffers from the fact that it isn't half as easy to apply in existing actions. Either it is too big in certain dimensions or it's not entirely there. The most important thing is that it is designed from the different point of view as other calibers mentioned here. .404 Jeffery and .416 Rigby aren't the easiest calibers from the rifle building point of view, allthought they are classic - that's why I dropped them both. I even consider .416 Rem a bit better in this regard, but somehow I didn't want a rifle of that caliber...

My philosophy here is that, if I can do anything to prevent messing with the action itself, I will proceed accordingly. The savings in work are tremendous and usually one can focus on other things of the gun a bit more.

Con
.333 member

#123074 - 05/01/09 10:13 PM

Isopeura,
Today just for the hell of it, I opened 375H&H cases to 0.411" to see what this 400H&H cartridge looks like ... very long slim and elegant I must say! I've always had a soft spot for the 0.411" calibre, I've just never got around to building one. With Hornady producing a 300gr spitzer, Barnes a 300gr TSX, plus the 400gr heavyweights in solid and softs, I reckon your going to have lots of fun!!
Cheers...
Con

Isopeura
.224 member

#123166 - 06/01/09 08:15 PM

Con,

Actually the .400 H&H isn't just a .375 opened up to .411". Shoulder is more backwards and sides are a bit more parallel than in .375. Actually it's the shoulder that is more "old school" than in .375 and it is longer. Anyway, it looks a bit like .404 and 450/400 if you look at the side profile of the cartridge.

Basically the neck is as long as the seated shank of the bullet and shoulder starts from there. I think this is for the reason that there is no excessive space that a seated bullet will take away and therefore it can operate with a bit less powder. Pressures aren't too high and not too low either. Too low pressures in too big case often result to uneven ignition of the powder and unpredictable chamber pressures which is a thing that bothers me as a reloader in some of the old cartridges and more modern cartridges that are not driven to "healthy pressures". Anyway, I think that in some cartridges the pressures are easier to keep in control than in others.

Con
.333 member

#123230 - 07/01/09 08:25 AM

Isopeura,
Yes I kind of realised that, opening the 375H&H was just to give an indication of what it looks like. The 404/375 that I'm fiddling with ends up as a straight tapered case with a parallel neck that A-Square called a 'ghost shoulder'. I think comparison to the 450/400 is justified as that's what these cartridges look like, long, slim and sleek! That's why I mentioned a 450gr at 2150fps ... if the 423" wildcat will do that, it's like a 'modern faster' 450/400.

Have you got the CIP specs for the 400H&H? I haven't checked them, but the pressures it's designed to operate at would be of interest.
Cheers...
Con

Isopeura
.224 member

#123315 - 08/01/09 06:40 AM

I thing that .400 not it's CIP status yet, but the maximum operating pressures are said to be 4300 bar as in .375 H&H. However, the warranted velocity of 2375 can be obtained wiht noticeably less pressure.

I used this load for the test cartridges:

- QC case
- Fed Gold Medal 215 Match primers
- 400 gr. Woodleigh Soft Point
- 80 gr. Hodgdon 414
- OAL 3.54"

This generates healthy pressures and should provide the needed velocity. I'll work on this afterwards a bit more. I will also work up loads for .405 bullets that would simulate those energy an velocity levels.

Talking about A-Square, I have liked the idea behind .495 A-Square as it has this "ghost shoulder" that makes it easier for the handloader. Have to take a look at the .400 ASDPM too...

Con
.333 member

#123341 - 08/01/09 03:27 PM

Isopeura,
Located the CIP specs ... Pmax is indeed 4400bar. Somewhere here there's a link to the CIP spec sheets, you need to look up Table III for belted cases. I've ended up saving all the files for reference. I've made some dummy 404/375 now, I'll see if I can add a photo later, but it basically looks like a slimmed down 458Lott.
Cheers...
Con

Con
.333 member

#123342 - 08/01/09 03:38 PM

Isopeura,
http://www.cip-bp.org/index.php?id=tdcc-telechargement

CIP spec sheets.
Cheers...
Con

Isopeura
.224 member

#123382 - 09/01/09 04:35 AM

And for sure I can't open that link... Well, not a problem since I pretty much have anything allready done.. Thanks anyway.

Isopeura
.224 member

#124282 - 17/01/09 03:51 AM

Hello again,

Ok, today I got the rifle back from CIP-approval and it now has "a Finnish Lion" on it. Now I can have the rifle officially registered. I also had the stock back and it sure is nice.

Now I have a problem. Should I have a black fore-end tip or not? Opinions, pleace. It's a working rifle and I'd like it to resemle guns of that role as much as possible. Does these working rifles usually have it or not?

sactoller
.224 member

Reged: 03/09/08
Loc: Weatherford, TX
      #128023 - 25/02/09 03:46 PM

I would not put the black forend tip. JMHO

We need pictures man, pictures!

Jason

--------------------
Jason Z Alberts

Isopeura
.224 member

Re: .400 H&H rifle project starts [Re: sactoller]
      #128029 - 25/02/09 05:35 PM

Ok, I'll take some pictures later today. I bedded the action yesterday and now I'm treating the stock prior to checkering. I ended up doing the fore-end the old fashioned way and shaped the tip as in Sako Mausers.

Isopeura
.224 member

#128138 - 26/02/09 06:22 PM

Here's some.

Isopeura
.224 member

#136741 - 05/06/09 05:55 AM

Hello again,

I haven't reported lately about the project but it has taken a few steps forward during the spring. I have shot it quite a bit and I find it a pleasure to shoot. It weighs 9.5 lbs as intended and it balances perfectly. I find it more enjoyable to shoot in this configuration than my original .375 Sako AIII. I think the ergonomics are far better for heavy recoil than in my other rifles.

I have to say that according to my load experiments, I think that this rifle is awesome in one other way too. Light bullet loads should prove very effective for all-around use and this makes the rifle a true dual purpose rifle. I try to take some pictures in near future.

Ruger_450
Banned

Reged: 10/03/13
Loc: WY & FL
      #244613 - 30/03/14 02:07 AM

It's a great cartridge. Built on myself a few years ago. Basis was a 700 Classic in 300 H&H. Norm Johnson rebored/rechambered it, added the Vias brake and even changed the 3 on the bbl to a 4 that looks perfect.

Stock was made by one of the former employes of a noted Wyoming SS maker. He also found all steel solid dropped magazine bottom metal (no hinged floorplate to open at the wrong time). Cases were a trove or Norma basics using Hornady custom dies.

Will clover leaf 400 gr Woodleighs and almost as good with 325/350 X bullets (another hoard). Will not shoot 400 gr Xs into less than 2" as they are sooooo long.

Not a graceful rifle but there is a lot to get a hand on to and spread the recoil.

"Function over form."

Saw a real 400 H&H last year at H&Hs gunroom in NYC. It had just arrived sans buttplate (as all do) to be fitted to the buyer. ($28,000 USD). Very plain magnum mauser but the fit, finish, checkering were just wonderful to behold.

My build: (a lot cheaper !)

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Re: .400 H&H rifle project starts [Re: Ruger_450]
      #244615 - 30/03/14 03:04 AM

Nice rifle but I donīt like the muzzle brake; if you canīt shoot without it just choose smaller caliber.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Ruger_450
Banned

Reged: 10/03/13
Loc: WY & FL
Re: .400 H&H rifle project starts [Re: Igorrock]
      #244623 - 30/03/14 05:52 AM

Would never hunt with it, has cap. Used to work up loads with plugs and muffs.

It's nice for hammering out 50 on the bench, but not needed for hunting.

Word is many PHs won't let clients use them. Easy to understand why.

Have many smaller and a few larger calibers, best all around for anything this side of the pond is the 375 H&H.

A Bolt one of 4 built for Mossy Oak for 2007 shot show, all different patterns and chamberings.

This has a proper 26" barrel and a 235 TSX @3000 fps is a serious thing.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 24345

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com