Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Magnum Mauser action made in Norway

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Magnum Mauser action made in Norway [Re: Paul]
      #115131 - 22/09/08 03:36 PM

Harumph,

Fellas,

I think it's called a Nock's Form (Titled after Henry Nock, gunmaker)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Magnum Mauser action made in Norway [Re: Naren]
      #115133 - 22/09/08 04:35 PM

Quote:

I have a friend in Germany who is a firearms journalist and he says that in the last few years the two Gunmakers i have mentioned above (KHR and TJ) really steped up in qualitty and now make a comparable product to Hartmann und Wiess... So look for new K.H.Ritterbusch and Theo Jung Mausers...

I'll keep my eyes open

shinz
.300 member

Reged: 11/05/08
Loc: New Zealand
      #115139 - 22/09/08 05:41 PM

Quote:

Seeing the prices, I'd probably been stunned somewhat.
- Paul

Know what you mean mate.
You guys at least have a slightly better exchange rate than ours.
Steve

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Magnum Mauser action made in Norway [Re: kamilaroi]
      #115145 - 22/09/08 06:38 PM

Quote:

Harumph,

Fellas,

I think it's called a Nock's Form (Titled after Henry Nock, gunmaker)

You're probably right. I can't even remember where I got my spelling - probably 'Australian Outdoors' c. 1966, but that's the way I saw it. Having been a proofreader for many years, I should have looked it up.

Squarebridge
.300 member

Reged: 21/08/08
Loc: Tennessee
Re: Magnum Mauser action made in Norway [Re: Huvius]
      #115172 - 23/09/08 12:55 AM

Quote:

Very nice CZ!
I feel the same way about the pricing of these newer magnum length actions.
What about the actual magnum 98 Mausers now available?
Why not buy a real Mauser from Mauser themselves? Double square bridge, solid left wall, classic styling - super nice looking but I haven't seen one in the flesh. The only thing about those which I don't care for is the rosewood forend - I like ebony or horn better.
Mitchell's mausers even carries them.

http://www.mauser.org/rifles/M98%20Mauser%20Magnum/index.htm

So, the magnum Mauser "dangerous game" rifle sold by Mitchell's is actually a modern DSB action made by Mauser itself? I assumed it was a good aftermarket action they had made into a nice looking rifle.

If you can get a real Mauser made DSB magnum length action rifle, with really good styling and a list of custom features for around $9K, then why does anyone go anywhere else? I have never understood the high prices charged by Johanssen, with which rifles I've been unimpressed (think along the lines of nice Ruger). Even used, they're still 5 figures.

The photo on the website may not be representative (and I notice suspiciously that you can't blow it up to get any detail at all) but it looks like they've done a top notch job on the architecture.

westley476
.224 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: Chile
Re: Magnum Mauser action made in Norway [Re: EricD]
      #115207 - 23/09/08 09:46 AM

Christ! At that price, they can keep it.

Paul
.400 member

Re: Magnum Mauser action made in Norway [Re: westley476]
      #115230 - 23/09/08 02:26 PM

Sometimes I think the only organic substance more formidable than the skin of pachaderms is the hide of certain luxury-goods makers. While I can see $16,000 for a German double rifle as good value, $9000 for a turn-bolt action is enough to make a dog laugh, to borrow a Pepysian phrase.

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #115236 - 23/09/08 02:57 PM

Link directly magnum on Mauser's site:
http://www.mauser.com/M-98-Magnum.79.0.html?&L=1

Paul, as for the $9K price, try buying a magnum mauser action, barreling, stocking, tuning and finishing to a high standard and you will see that nine grand in a hurry.
Although I don't think the high price increases for original Mauser sporters will neccesarily be repeated with the modern versions, I don't doubt that, if the finish is up to snuff, these new Mausers will be valuable in the future. Anyway, its nice to buy the original.

Mauser makes it sound as if they make their own 98's
http://www.mauser.com/1999.183.0.html?&L=1

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Edited by Huvius (23/09/08 03:14 PM)

Paul
.400 member

Re: Magnum Mauser action made in Norway [Re: Huvius]
      #115245 - 23/09/08 06:27 PM

Thanks Huvius,
Yes, it seems Mauser even still make a version with the original wing safety, but I couldn't find the prices. It seems some people in Africa still like that safety but it beats me. In locked-bolt position it's deadly slow; standing up it's noisy for a right-hander and prone to being bumped off. The only variation I've ever liked was a right-side low-scope effort, which could be disengaged with thumb and forefinger for quietness or the just the thumb for speed, but was only safe when protected by a scope. None provide much assurance against a weak trigger spring.

Mauser's other safeties look OK but if the rifles cost anywhere near $9000 I'd prefer the sliding ones on a German double at twice the price.

- Paul

wellplugger
.224 member

Reged: 03/11/06
Loc: So. East Texas
      #115448 - 25/09/08 05:16 AM

All:

Don't know if it has been mentioned already, but Briley (of shotgun choke tube fame) is selling "Original" Mauser rifles here in the Houston, TX area. As I remember, the 375 H&H I looked at was selling for ± $9800. Remember, I have slept since then and am getting old, so I could be wrong. It was a nice looking rifle with good fit and finish, but I thought they were a little "proud" of it for my taste. Additionally, I shoot from the left side and according to Briley, "Original" Mauser's don't come in left hand. For this reason, I could be a little prejudice.

Anyway, just my bit of trivia to add to the mix..............Lee

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Magnum Mauser action made in Norway [Re: wellplugger]
      #115453 - 25/09/08 05:41 AM

Wellplugger, FWIW, and if you are not aware of it, Ritterbusch makes M98's for lefties.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Magnum Mauser action made in Norway [Re: wellplugger]
      #115489 - 25/09/08 03:51 PM

Wellplugger,

AFAIK, like the "Luger" trade name which is owned in the USA by an American company, the "Mauser" name was also owned by someone who sold it to Briley a couple of years ago. The Mauser rifles that Briley offers here are, however, the same as on the Mauser website, from SIG who own this name in the rest of the world.

As my friend Erik D points out, the SIG retailed Mausers are offered in left hand versions. Perhaps, Briley don't import these for reasons that only they know.

Good hunting, everyone!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Magnum Mauser action made in Norway [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #115495 - 25/09/08 04:57 PM

Mehul, I'm not so sure that SIG Mausers (Prechtl actions) come in left hand versions. If so, then that is news to me.

Although I am positive that Ritterbusch makes them.

Lockingblock
.224 member

Reged: 29/08/17
Loc: OK
Re: Magnum Mauser action made in Norway [Re: Naren]
      #306118 - 08/10/17 03:13 PM

Quote:

ErikD - sorry to correct you but Prechtl makes complete rifles for Sigarms with "Mauser Original" name on them... look at his internet site:
http://www.golmatic.de/Waffen_EN/jagdwaffen_en/galerie_en/bild_16.htm
http://www.golmatic.de/Waffen_EN/jagdwaffen_en/galerie_en/bild_12.htm
see the "mauser original" signs... You don`t buy "real" Mauser rifles they are Prechtl products under different brand - nothing to worry through Prechtl rifles are of highest quality...

Jabalihunter - Johannsen uses Prechtl mauser actions, Walther Lothar barrels and Recknagel components like open sights, scope mounts... Good components but the rifles craftsmanship, fit and finish are more comparable to "lesser" rifles like Heym than to true Master Gunsmiths... Options list is also limited, and you must pay lots of money for anything "non-standard" that is if you convince him to make that what you want... While Ritterbusch, Hartmann&Wiess and Theo Jung will make a totally bespoke gun with virtually any option thay you may want to have in your rifle... if you have the money that is
I have a friend in Germany who is a firearms journalist and he says that in the last few years the two Gunmakers i have mentioned above (KHR and TJ) really steped up in qualitty and now make a comparable product to Hartmann und Wiess... So look for new K.H.Ritterbusch and Theo Jung Mausers...

Bumping an old topic...PM sent.

Does anyone have current contact info for Ritterbusch? Are they still in business? Their website is dead and email bounced back...

I'm in the market for a takedown rifle and their system was interesting.

It appears that a Johannsen uses the same system. Anyone have experience with Johannsen rifles?

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
      #306137 - 09/10/17 11:49 AM

They must worship at the alter of PT Barnum. He said "It's wrong to allow a fool to keep his money"

I see a nice action. Not any nicer then a Winchester M-70 and not as classic and beautiful (in my eyes) as a pre-war M98 Military Mauser. I doubt it's any better then a CZ Magnum action either. Both
the M-70 and the good M98s I can find for under three hundred, and in the case of the Mauser, under $250 many time. Sure, I have to open them up and make them work if I want a large cartridge to feed, but I assure everyone I can do that work, have done it several times, and I can do for MUCH less money.

Just to illustrate the point, here are some pictures of harry Sleby's 416 Rigby, Made on a STANDARD length M98 Mauser.
Selby's Rigby by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

Here is my 404, (not checkered yet) also made on a standard length M98.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

$9,000 to $15,000 for just an action seems to be an open insult to the intelligence of any shooter or hunter ever born,----------- but maybe PT Barnum was right.
We'll see.

Edited by szihn (09/10/17 11:51 AM)

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: Magnum Mauser action made in Norway [Re: szihn]
      #306529 - 17/10/17 01:29 PM

It's an ugly bulky looking action,,looks like dumoulin magnums that are very ugly.......paul

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 25343

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com