Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Pick a .416 Cal cartridge! Which would you go for?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Pick a .416 Cal cartridge! Which would you go for? [Re: Rule303]
      #161603 - 07/06/10 01:09 AM

Quote:

Hate to disagree but even with modern powders temp has to be watched esp if you are running near max loads. Load up a some of rounds with ADI, Hodgon powderX2 and 2 with win ball powder. fire one of each. Then hold the others in your hands until the powder has had time to warm and fire them. I think you will find a difference in the recoil of the one with the win powder.

Cheers
Greg

Greg - Perhaps you misunderstood my post. I did not say ALL modern powders carried that trait. The Winchester powders, designed way back in the 50's and the hodgdon ball powders are not the same as the ADI or Hodgdon Extreme powders in temp swings. As far as I know, even the AA balls powders have to be carefully loaded in hot temps.

The modern 'Reloader' powders are supposedly better than any of the spherical powders for stability in temp extremes - but, they don't match H4895 or Varget, which are both good powders for the Taylor - which can safely be loaded to 60,000 - 63,000 PSI in the winter and fired in 120F temps in the summer.

Today, with, OK - some of the modern powders, pressure excursions with temperature are a thing of the past.

Temp excursions were the reason the Notro Express rounds weer loaded to such low pressures - put another way - temperature extremes with the powders available way back THEN, are the reason the Nitro Express cases are so large for their ballistics. The cases had to be that large to get the performance desired as pressures safe to shoot in Africa.

H$ll, even 1950 to 1960 era IMR4320 loads for 400gr. @ 2,350fps to 2,400fps were safe in Africa, in the .416 Taylor. Today, we have much more stable powders than that, and performance can be improved upon even more. Amazing what a bit of technology can do. Smaller rounds today outpace the larger rounds of yesterday.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Pick a .416 Cal cartridge! Which would you go for? [Re: DarylS]
      #368502 - 22/08/22 12:26 AM

.500/416 NE, or the newer .416 Rigby No.2 Rimmed.

In a nice side by side double rifle.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

crshelton
.333 member

Reged: 10/11/15
Loc: Republic of Texas
Re: Pick a .416 Cal cartridge! Which would you go for? [Re: NitroX]
      #368521 - 22/08/22 08:08 AM

No thank you.
I am happy with my .405 and do perceive a need for a .416.

--------------------
CRS,NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/

bwanabobftw
.375 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Pick a .416 Cal cartridge! Which would you go for? [Re: crshelton]
      #368523 - 22/08/22 10:06 AM

I love my 416 Rigby but I also have a soft spot for the .416 Taylor. I’d love to have one of the new Rigby Rising Bites in a .416 #2 (that would be my first choice).

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: Pick a .416 Cal cartridge! Which would you go for? [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #378918 - 27/08/23 01:09 AM

That was an interesting question too.

The cartridges caliber .416 are definitely the best that a client who wants to hunt Big Game in Africa can buy. One rifle is enough, because these cartridges also allow to shoot smaller game without problems. Recoil should not be a problem either when compared to rifles caliber .458 or similar. Which cartridge is primarily dependent on the budget, whereby the cartridge 416 Rem Mag is on the cheap side and the cartridge 416 Rigby on the expensive. Both are more or less comparable in terms of working.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Pick a .416 Cal cartridge! Which would you go for? [Re: grandveneur]
      #378920 - 27/08/23 01:54 AM

It's always interesting to see how consistent ones opinion is from old threads to the present. I think the post on the last page was my only post.

My choice would be a .404 Jeffery. Not technically a .416 but I'm not a big one for irrelevant rules.

Yes if I had a new double rifle, still a .416 Rigby No.2 or a .500/416 NE, or a .375 Flanged. Scoped. As my general world hunting rifle. Probably the .375 as I'd hope it would see a lot of use on medium game, deer at home, ferals etc.

I've thought a set of custom Tikka/Valmet barrels U/O in .416 might be a short cut, ie cheaper. Not the same as a nice side by side.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: Pick a .416 Cal cartridge! Which would you go for? [Re: NitroX]
      #378921 - 27/08/23 02:07 AM

Here it was mainly about the caliber .416, but a rifle caliber 404 Jeffery is an equivalent option, perhaps not as versatile as cartridges caliber 416.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 140 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 47682

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com