Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Kalahari Experience with Ndumo Safaris

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
Kalahari Experience with Ndumo Safaris
      #85013 - 01/09/07 02:50 AM

Got back from a great trip in Namibia not too long ago. I was hunting with Karl Stumpfe from Ndumo Hunting Safaris. Our main hunting area was the Kalahari and the camp is located on the Botswana border not far away from were South Africa, Namibia and Botswana meets.

We saw plenty of animals and took some great trophies but there were a lot of other things to experience, like the nature, the silence and much more.

Let´s begin the journey!

On the way to the hunting area some had the bad luck to sit on the back of the cruiser and it was quite dusty.....

While some had a more relaxing time inside the cruiser.....

A lot of sand everywhere, everyday when we stopped hunting there was a lot of sand to empty out of the boots.

Karls cruiser in the dunes.

A herd of Eland running over the road in front of us.

Looking at the hoofs was interesting, most animals had way longer than whats common since the sand don't wear them down. Worst was a Kudu we saw that had hoofs curling back up.

A bat eared fox that just got out of his hole in the ground.

Some scenes from the Kalahari dunes.

Sun Down is not is almost here.

This time of the day is a dream for a photographer.

Light is fading away....

Relaxing around the campfire waiting for the food.

A small spotted genet, frequent visitor every night when we sat by the fire.

The day is about to end and it's time to dream about what the morning will have in it hands.

--------------------

Christer Hansson

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cchunter
.375 member

Re: Kalahari Experience with Ndumo Safaris [Re: cchunter]
      #85014 - 01/09/07 02:51 AM

The traditional animals of Kalahari

What I always have thought was typical for Kalahari was Springbuck and Gemsbuck (Oryx) and when I finally saw the Kalahri it was the correct belief.

We saw them in huge numbers and after a couple of days we stopped looking at them they were too numerous, they were everywhere, running jumping, underneath trees in the open etc.

My first Kalahari Springbuck, an old ram with one horn broken of, from a fight as we first thought but then we found a bullet hole in the ear that was at the same height as the broken horn. Shot at 145 meters after that we found him resting in the open with a group of others in the afternoon.

Now Frederik started to get itchy with his finger after a couple of days filming and no shooting so he wanted to find a Springbuck too, so of we went, with me behind the camera and he with the rifle. It did not take long before Karl found one that Frederik thought was ok and he took the shot. Distance about 120 meters and he ran about 80 meters (the Springbuck not Frederik)

After walking over numerous dunes we found a big group of Springbuck and this ram was the biggest, about 14 1/2 inches. He took the shot at 180 meters but did not want to die and with the blood pumping out of his lungs he ran about 200 meters.

This springbock we ran into on our way back to camp for lunch and we decided he was good enought to shoot. He was shot at about 150 meters and dropped directly. Look at his face more like a thompson or grant's gazelle with the brown on his face comparing it to other springbucks.

My first gemsbuck we found after a couple of attempts to get closer to some herds, he was not so big but old so he was good to take out of the herd to give room for the younger and bigger bull. He measured around 33. Shot him at 214 meters and shot was little far back so it took him a while to drop.

Saw the herd at a far distance and in cover of a dune we got closer and then got into position we crawled through the grass. Shot was at 240 meters and it was the biggest female in the group, just as I took the shot they started to run so this shot was also to much back and she took off over the next dune. As we came over the top she was walking away from us and I stopped her with a shot from behind. She measured about 39 inches and was quite old as the horns had started to flatten out at the bases.

--------------------

Christer Hansson

cchunter
.375 member

#85015 - 01/09/07 02:51 AM

The Spiral Horns of Kalahari

Ok back to business again, what Karl told us would be the hardest to find a decent one of , was the Eland, so when we saw this nice bull the first morning we did not think twice before we started the hunt.

Eland is a tough animal and using the 8x68S I still had to use a couple of extra shots to finish him of. The trophy measuresd around 34 inches.

Karl and the trackers put a lot of effort in preparing for the photos to get the best possible result.

Dawid, Karl, Ricardo and me

A very impressive animal.

The hoofs, very long due to walking in soft sand all the time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Then it was time for Kudu, Karl came back to camp, were we were relaxing, after unloading some animalas and told us that he spotted a group of Kudu bulls worth looking at. We drove of and then left the bakkie and started walking, several times we saw the Kudus walking over a dune into the next walley but after 4-5 kilometers we were lucky to get a shot at the most mature bull before they got away. Distance was 240 meters and we were laying down under a tree when they reached a small opening, the bull ran some 40 meters. He measured 52 inches which was a good score in this area.

Me and Karl with the Kudu.

The trophy.

--------------------

Christer Hansson

cchunter
.375 member

#85016 - 01/09/07 02:51 AM

The Smallest, The Ugliest and a Bird

On the way back with my Eland we saw this small creature and made a short stalk before I could take the shot.

It was quite a nice one and a funny sight in the slaughter shed with the smallest and the biggest antelope lying there.

Frederik has had an urge for a red Hartebeest for a long time and finally he got a chance. Maybe not the ugliest animal but a very strange looking at least and really a nice trophy.

Frederik and Karl with the special trophy.

The not so typical Hartebeest horns.

After Frederik took this trophy he was very happy.

Then I wanted a nice Ostrich to make a shoulder mount of, but that was not as easy as we thought, they were running all the time.

One morning when we had really heavy wind we managed to confuse them and this one stopped for a moment.

Karl shows us the ears which is basicly only a hole in the head.

--------------------

Christer Hansson

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #85054 - 03/09/07 06:39 AM

Keep the photos and stories coming. I love the adventure so far.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #85077 - 03/09/07 09:49 PM

Christer and Frederik,

I am glad you enjoyed your safari with Karl Stumpfe. Karl does a great job, doesn't he. Great trophies and photos. Thanks for posting them and if you have more, don't stop.

My only disappointment was not to take a steenbok myself. Saw plenty including fantastic ones, begging to be shot, but they weren't on my personal list, and I knew I would regret not taking one when Karl offered more than once.

I like the photo of the steenbok and eland side by side.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Kalahari Experience with Ndumo Safaris [Re: NitroX]
      #85086 - 04/09/07 01:30 AM

The country you were hunting in is very simular to our Western Australian outback including the sand dunes,but not the animals.

Great pics and story.
Thanks for sharing.
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

Ndumo
.300 member

Reged: 21/12/03
Loc: Namibia
      #85094 - 04/09/07 05:29 AM

Quote:

My only disappointment was not to take a steenbok myself. Saw plenty including fantastic ones, begging to be shot, but they weren't on my personal list, and I knew I would regret not taking one when Karl offered more than once.

John, I was wondering if you still regretted that huge steenbok you passed up...

--------------------
Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris (Pty) Ltd.
karl@huntingsafaris.net
www.huntingsafaris.net
+264 811 285 416

cchunter
.375 member

Re: Kalahari Experience with Ndumo Safaris [Re: Ndumo]
      #85120 - 04/09/07 07:33 PM

The Giant"

Really not so big as an animal but this specific one is a giant. It goes in on NAPHAS top 10 list for sure and were it will be on in SCI I have to wait and see after I get the final score in October.

I decided to make him a full mount as I think someone thats been around to grow this big deserves to be treated with that respect.

Since we are making a movie we wanted to get a variation of species and I had no urge for a big Duiker, just a decent one. The first chance I had came quick and the Duiker stood not far away from us, an easy shot but I just had to put a bullet in the chamber first, normaly not a problem but for some reason something got wrong here and the Duiker took of, but just slowly and when I got things sorted out he still was in range and I took the shot, both Karl and Frederik yelled out "YOU MISSED" as if I didnt know myself.

Last day when we were out walking we came over a dune and there it was, Frederik was the first one to see it and said "I think that is a good one", Karl checked it out and replaid "go for it, it's good." I went down in the sand and pulled out the bipods on the rifle, checked the distance 123 meters and decided to put the bullet on the shoulder since I did not have any plans to mount it. The shot had a direct effect and the Duiker dropped were he stood.

As we approached we had no thoughts on the size, we were just happy to have got another specie on film here in Kalahari. When we got close me and Karl almost at the same time said ****, and then just started laughing, this was not what we expected, this was a monster. My thought was; is this really a Duiker?

Have a look for yourself, quite a nice one huh!

To be continued (next part summary)

--------------------

Christer Hansson

cchunter
.375 member

#85121 - 04/09/07 07:38 PM

Quote:

Christer and Frederik,

I am glad you enjoyed your safari with Karl Stumpfe. Karl does a great job, doesn't he. Great trophies and photos. Thanks for posting them and if you have more, don't stop.

I like the photo of the steenbok and eland side by side.

John

For sure Karl does a great job.

To avoid a situation like yours I don't have a fixed list, just a wish list and then I tell the guides that if there is something you think I should shoot, just tell me and I likely will.

My biggest regret is from a bowhunt were a female impala with horns came in, I had no shot with the bow on her but could easily have taken her with the rifle I had along. (It was on a Rifle hunting farm).

--------------------

Christer Hansson

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Kalahari Experience with Ndumo Safaris [Re: Ndumo]
      #85180 - 05/09/07 02:32 PM

Quote:

Ndumo: John, I was wondering if you still regretted that huge steenbok you passed up...

Of course. As I said at the time, a good reason to come back one day!

Quote:

cchunter: To avoid a situation like yours I don't have a fixed list, just a wish list and then I tell the guides that if there is something you think I should shoot, just tell me and I likely will.

Christer,

I didn't have a fixed list, just a fixed wallet.

Still should have hunted what was at hand, when it is there!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

cchunter
.375 member

#85231 - 07/09/07 12:56 AM

Kalahari Summary

This are some more photos from our trip that was not shown before;

Frederik is stuffed up in the back of the cruiser on the way to Kalahari together with some trophies we took on the way (not on the road though )

Lunch just before we got in to the Kalahari.

Dead Vulture that was in the road.

Karl enjoys some swedish music during the lunch break.

At the dinner table after we had some great Eland filét.

Karl is busy preparing breakfast.

The skull of the monster Duiker in the slaughter house.

Packing up for the trip back north to Windhoek.

Frederik with his best friend for the coming 5 hours (the IPOD)

Road work outside Gochas

Cleaning the engine from grass etc, when we came out on the tar road again.

The Duiker is being measured at the taxidermist.

On the way to the plane that will take us to Johannesburg.

--------------------

Christer Hansson

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3910

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com