Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Beware!!!! Large Zimbabwe outfitter doesnt deliver

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
Beware!!!! Large Zimbabwe outfitter doesnt deliver
      #84733 - 27/08/07 05:38 PM

If anyone is planning a Zimbabwe hunt, or has one booked please contact me.

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Beware!!!! Large Zimbabwe outfitter doesnt deliver [Re: paradox_]
      #84736 - 27/08/07 05:59 PM

Why not just post the info ?

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Beware!!!! Large Zimbabwe outfitter doesnt deliver [Re: 500Nitro]
      #84738 - 27/08/07 08:12 PM

hey paradox

lets hear the story it is allways better to tell all of us, i am looking for zim for next year though still in the planing faze for the buisness part(gone for 2-3 weeks making sure that all is good on the home front) so i for one is very interested.

peter

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Beware!!!! Large Zimbabwe outfitter doesnt deliver [Re: peter]
      #84740 - 27/08/07 09:15 PM

Please post details here.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

paradox_
.375 member

#84742 - 27/08/07 10:06 PM

Gentlemen,
I will post more detail in the next 48 hours.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #84744 - 27/08/07 11:40 PM

good -because I have a hunt booked there in May of 2008

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #84773 - 28/08/07 10:12 AM

Quote:

Gentlemen,
I will post more detail in the next 48 hours.

Thanks. Yes please post the actual comments/hunt report/circumstances.

We appreciate good and bad reports for the benefit of our members.

Members, please remember post the "actual" reports on here not just hearsay or general comments otherwise the posts will be deleted. It is not fair on the outfitter concerned unless they have an opportunity to respond and members can also read the circumstances of the hunt and any problems.

'Paradox', looking forward to the comments as promised. Thanks again.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

paradox_
.375 member

Re: Beware!!!! Large Zimbabwe outfitter doesnt deliver [Re: NitroX]
      #84789 - 28/08/07 05:46 PM

Thank you John,
I am new to the site. How do I stand legally if I specify actual company, and individual names??.

--------------------

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #84790 - 28/08/07 06:08 PM

As far as I am aware you are covered against deformation if you state what actually happened to You.
But this should be confirmed...
This company would not have a three letter name by chance??

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Beware!!!! Large Zimbabwe outfitter doesnt deliver [Re: ozhunter]
      #84792 - 28/08/07 06:30 PM

as long as you tell what happened to you, then you are in the clear. you are in title to tell your side of the story without being worried about legal issues as far as i know.
just remember to make sure that it is stated that this is your observations and conclusions based on your trip.

peter

paradox_
.375 member

#84799 - 28/08/07 09:25 PM

Gentlemen, please find my report as promised. Those reading this report should be aware that the clients involved are not unreasonable people. Nor do we have unreasoanble expectations. However we do believe in getting what we pay for. We are both experienced hunters and love to hunt traditionally, ie lots of walking and hard hunting.
With respect to the Buffalo hunt we understand that the decision to take a shot is uitilmatley with the hunter, however he should always be free of pressure and have an expectation that the PH has asscessed the trophy to be at least representitive.

We did book through an agent who I believe is very embarrassed by our experience. One of his employees was present for the entire safari and bore witness to most of what we experienced. To his credit he has offered an amount of cash compensation, we believe out of his own pocket. ( This is yet to be paid). Of particular note is the lack of contact from HHK, OR ANY OF THEIR OFFICIERS. Sometimes things do go wrong and part of the remedy is a recognition by all parties that it could have been better, and what do we do to make it right.
HHK have not even had the common decency to contact us.
Lastley we can only hope that this form can aid in protecting other hunters from the same experience.

Thank you.

Hunting Safari, South Omay Safari Area Zimbabwe
Operator: HHK Safaris

The following report describes the inadequate standards and service levels provided by HHK Safaris during a hunting Safari between 3-13July 2007.

Professional Hunters: Alan Moodie and Steve Boshoff.

Opening Statement:

In the context of this report it should be noted that both clients are fully aware and sympathetic to the difficult operating environment currently existing within the country of Zimbabwe. Not withstanding this we sincerely believe that most aspects of our Safari were not provided in line with industry standards or the contractual obligations of the Company. They are, but not limited to the following:

Vehicles:

Two Toyota Landcruisers were provided as transport and hunting cars. These vehicles were not fully serviceable or reliable. Both were older vicheles, poorly serviced and maintained.

The vehicle provided by Steve Boshoff blew an engine during the first half of the Safari rendering it useless. Furthermore the lack of rear brakes posed a significant safety risk to clients and staff alike. Several hunting hours were lost while the vehicle was recovered and towed to camp.

The Vehicle provided by Allan Moodie lacked 4-wheel drive capability resulting in significant loss of hunting time due to the repeated “bogging” of the vehicle. This occurred on no less than four separate occasions. PH Moodie informed me that one 3.5 hour extrication from a sand river was “ character building”. A total afternoons hunting had to be abandoned on that single occasion alone.
Of further significance was the unbelievable fact that recoverery equipment was limited to one high lift jack, which did not function properly. The severe lack of power from this vehicles engine combined with only 2 wheel drive capability resulted in very limited access to the concession, and therefore reduced hunting opportunities.
We do not believe that the expectation of fully serviceable and reliable vehicles is an unreasonable one. The failure to provide it not only impacted on our enjoyment of the Safari, but also meant many hunting hours were lost.

Professional Hunters

Allan Moodie

We believe Allan to be directly employed by HHK Safaris.
PH Moodie displayed some behaviours considered to be in consistent with his profession.

They were as follows:

Allan was found to be very impatient. ( Refer paragraph on wounded Buffalo)
Allan was found to be very excitable when closing on animals.
Allan was found to lose his temper easily

Allan’s alcohol consumption was found on at least two occasions to be excessive. He was observed to be drunk as early as 0900 on the morning of our departure, whilst at least one days hunting was largely wasted due to the previous evenings celebrations.

Steve Boshoff

We believe Steve to be contracted to HHK Safaris.
PH Boshoff was found to be incapable of physically carrying out duties considered to be consistent, fundamental and necessary to his profession.

Steve is a large man who was severely handicapped by the following:

Excessive weight

Excessive smoking ( 40 plus per day). Of note was Steve’s insistence on smoking in the vehicle cabin, forcing Graeme on occasions to retreat to the rear of the vehicle.

A bronchial condition which required a hospital visitation the day prior to commencement of the Safari.
Steve also stated he sometimes wears a leg brace to support a bad knee.

Steve’s poor physical condition resulted in frequent coughing fits (often when approaching game), and a general inability to walk long distances without tiring.

Of further note is the reference that my hunting companion “ turned down” a couple of bulls similar to one he obtained last year. To clarify this he was in fact “on sticks” on three occasions, but was not presented with a shot he was prepared to take. It was in fact the unfit state of his PH that for the most part meant that opportunities were very limited.
To reinforce this Steve’s propensity to approach game from “upwind” was common practice, perhaps not surprisingly as neither himself or his tracker carried ash bags or puffers,

We, again do not believe it unreasonable to expect that Professional Hunters should be fit, reasonably healthy, demonstrate patience, self-control and professionalism. We saw only a modicum of these qualities in Allan and Steve.

Wounded Buffalo
The following is a summary of the Buffalo hunt conducted by Allan Moodie .

On the morning of the third day we found ourselves on a riverbed as day was breaking, we heard Buffalo 50 metres from the car and could just make out shapes of a group of what appeared to be Bulls standing in the actual riverbed. I could not determine trophy quality, was shooting an open sighted double, could not get a good sight picture and so decided not to take a shot, despite Allan’s insistence that I should.
Allan appeared to be very annoyed at this and I felt the need to apologise.

As day broke the trackers quickly picked up the tracks of a group of four Bulls and we set off to follow them. They led us into thick Jess and rain started to fall. Shortly after we came up to a Bull standing in the Mapone Jess and standing three quarters on. The Bull departed before I could get a shot.
I could sense Allan’s frustration growing.
On the third “ bumping” and despite being told to “shoot man shoot”, I still did not take a shot and again the Buffalo departed.
I was at this point enjoying hunting and tracking in the rain and was confident that an opportunity would present sooner or later. I t was after all only day three. Allan’s frustration was by now very obvious.
At the same time I began to feel extremely pressured.
Soon one of the group is seen standing in thick Mapone, side on at around 50-60 yards. It appeared as a black shape, its head not visible I checked through my Binoculars to confirm it was a Buffalo and after intense pressure from Allan took the shot, one I was not very comfortable with. The sound of the bullet striking and a reaction from the Buffalo revealed a hit.
Allan, in a very excited state said that I had shot “the duggar boy from duggar boy land” !!
Clearly Allan had seen more of the Buffalo than I.
It is of note that Allan had previously suggested I load solids in both barrels, to enable me to shoot through the Mapone something I said I did not want to do. However I agreed and we now conclude that my bullet suffered deflection causing a superficial flesh wound high on the shoulder.

We soon were on tracks and a thin blood trail when we came up on the now three Bulls. One standing in the open side on and very shoot able. I whispered to Allan that that Buffalo looks uncomfortable and unwell. I considered it to be the one I had shot. Allan replied that it could not be as these were three immature Bulls and poor trophies.
He now appeared confused, as the realisation that he had instructed, no, pressured me to shoot a Buffalo whose trophy potential he had not seen OR BEING ABLE TO JUDGE became apparent.
Those reading this report will need no reminder that this is the cardinal sin and worst nightmare of any PH. We tracked these Buffalo for the remainder of the day, coming up with them more than once, but with no opportunity for a shot.
We tried again the following day, again many contacts but no opportunity.

I decided it was time to let the buffalo rest and go Elephant hunting, which we did successfully, and with satisfaction and enjoyment. This hunt went according to plan and without incident.

Five days after the wounding of this Buffalo, remarkably we again found the tracks and again identified the wounded Buffalo in thick Jess.
My frustration here was that Allan was only going through the motions, believing all chance had gone and “ there was no plan here” type of approach. I found this very negative. After all I was already up for the trophy fee. It also seemed to me that I was the only one interested in the in insuring a wounded animal was put down.
I felt it was only at my insistence that we keep trying, but I also admit to a great deal of pent up frustration.
At 1200 midday of the last day we finally gave up having pushed them too hard. We were however able to again identify this Buffalo bull as possibly the worst “ trophy” in the entire concession!!.

Summary

It is the general believe of both clients that whilst there were moments of good humour and enjoyment, there lacked professionalism, and dedication and that our Safari did not represent value for money and certainly did not l live up to expectations.

--------------------

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #84800 - 28/08/07 09:39 PM

Well, interesting. But I get a funny feeling about that this...anybody else?

--------------------
DD, Ret.

AspenHill
Sponsor

#84801 - 28/08/07 09:43 PM

Did you contact Graham Hingeston with these concerns? If so, what did he say?

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

paradox_
.375 member

Re: Beware!!!! Large Zimbabwe outfitter doesnt deliver [Re: AspenHill]
      #84803 - 28/08/07 10:01 PM

Thanks AspenHill, yes are still giving our agent the oportunity to do this on our behalf, but it is fair to say Graham is aware.

As Grahams wife passed away unexpectantley whilst we were in Zim, we have allowed a respectable time for his response, not withstanding this tragedy, I am sure someone else is running the business during this awful time, and is in a positon to say "well get back to you".

DoubleD....please be specific about your" funny feelings"

--------------------

AspenHill
Sponsor

#84804 - 28/08/07 10:05 PM

I had heard that news as well and was sorry to hear of his loss. I hope things get worked out for you. I have sent a few clients to HHK and they were very happy. They did not have your PH's and I know Graham to be a good businessman.

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Beware!!!! Large Zimbabwe outfitter doesnt deliver [Re: DoubleD]
      #84805 - 28/08/07 11:32 PM

Quote:

Well, interesting. But I get a funny feeling about that this...anybody else?

Would you car to expand ?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#84807 - 29/08/07 12:01 AM

Quote:

Thank you John,
I am new to the site. How do I stand legally if I specify actual company, and individual names??.

You probably do not have a problem if you state only what you truly believe to be the case and your personal experiences without malicious intent.

However note I am not offering legal advice.

In any case I will see if HHK wishes to respond to the comments in order to get the other point of view.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (29/08/07 12:28 AM)

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #84810 - 29/08/07 12:32 AM

As a general principle of law, truth is an absolute defense to any allegation of libel or slander. And there is always a question on the bar exam about that. Conversely, an untrue allegation of felonious conduct or of a felony conviction is slander per se.

Further, there are very few outfitters who would wish to have a reputation for suing clients, let alone the negative media attention that it would bring to the outfitter and its principals.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Beware!!!! Large Zimbabwe outfitter doesnt deliver [Re: 500grains]
      #84843 - 29/08/07 06:46 AM

Paradox

What camp in the OMAY did you stay in?

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Beware!!!! Large Zimbabwe outfitter doesnt deliver [Re: NE450No2]
      #84851 - 29/08/07 09:00 AM

A funny feeling like some part of the puzzle is missing...

What really confused me was this statement:

Quote:

I decided it was time to let the buffalo rest and go Elephant hunting, which we did successfully, and with satisfaction and enjoyment. This hunt went according to plan and without incident.

Why didn't this conflict that started during the buffalo hunt continue during the elephant hunt and then only resume when the buffalo hunt resumed. Something just seems to be missing to me.

I get the impression you have hunted a lot of buffalo before and the PH didn't take kindly to you second guessing him. At least this is what I seem to pick up from what you wrote. I could just be reading your post wrong. I mean no offense by this, but that's what I came away with reading your post.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Edited by DoubleD (29/08/07 09:03 AM)

lapua
.333 member

Reged: 15/05/05
      #84868 - 29/08/07 12:26 PM

Gee it's a hard one .... I do know for fact that a lot of white guys from Africa are very over weight and have drinking problems because I work with them , though if I was running a outfitter safari biz my employee's wound be of a high standard full stop ... it is always the little things that count .... NitroX thanks for your time getting this out mate ..

--------------------
Cheers

lapua

ADF VETERAN ARMY

Lest We Forget

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Beware!!!! Large Zimbabwe outfitter doesnt deliver [Re: lapua]
      #84869 - 29/08/07 12:44 PM

I don't think I've ever met a PH that couldn't walk me into the dust. Even the fat ones (ie., fatter than me!) walk every day for a living - but I've never hunted with a fat one. If the fellow couldn't walk me into the dust for fitness or health reasons then I would have a ligitimate complaint. He both couldn't keep up with the hunting and be fit enough to endure the chores of getting all squared each night for the next day. But then, I've never had a buff hunt which came remotely close to the physical side of elephant hunting. Even if the eles are stumbled upon it seems that it takes hard work to position to make the shot.

Not enough info.

JPK

paradox_
.375 member

Re: Beware!!!! Large Zimbabwe outfitter doesnt deliver [Re: JPK]
      #84877 - 29/08/07 06:22 PM

500GRAINS, NITROX, Thanks for the advice, Nitrox I would love to hear from Graham..Thank you

NE450N02 we were at Manyuli Camp

--------------------

paradox_
.375 member

#84879 - 29/08/07 06:27 PM

JPK Thank you. Yes, I am sure this PH would be fine for some one in similar poor health who likes to do his hunting " drive by" style, however HHK were very aware that that was not us.

" Not enough info"...what more can I tell tell??

--------------------

paradox_
.375 member

#84880 - 29/08/07 06:52 PM

DoubleD. Thank you. I have being hunting foe nearly 40 years, and only recently have I had enough of my hard earned cash to go dangerous game hunting. I have NOT hunted a lot of Buffalo, African anyway, and I dont beleive I second guessed my PH at any time, but I take your point.
The "conflict" was more like a culmination of events and we could have raised our concerns early in the Safari. As you will know this is a difficult situaton when in a remote location and living in close company with service providers. Our options were to cut the Safari short, or risk an unpleasent confrontation, we chose instead to make the most of what we had, and I have already stated that there were moments of good humour.
At $920/day I dont think it unresonable to expect basics such as equipment and hunters are up to the best possible standard. They do after all call themselves PROFESSIONAL hunters.

DoubleD , no offense taken, these discussions are getting other points of view, as well as ensuring that as " fare paying punters" we are not taken for granted. Thank you

--------------------

ozhunter
.400 member

#84881 - 29/08/07 08:18 PM

Quote:

I don't think I've ever met a PH that couldn't walk me into the dust. Even the fat ones (ie., fatter than me!) walk every day for a living - but I've never hunted with a fat one. If the fellow couldn't walk me into the dust for fitness or health reasons then I would have a ligitimate complaint. .JPK

JPK,
One things for sure he could drink you under the table... Like he did to me.

Ripp
.577 member

#84885 - 29/08/07 10:10 PM

I had hunt there in 2004 with Lloyd Yateman of Chipimbi Safarie in Zim--one of the worst experiences I ever had--there was three of us in camp--for the first 3 days of the hunt--one of our group could not hunt because their vehicles were broken down--the others we had to push in the morning to get started--we constantly had to work on them during the day to keep them running--

I was paying for a dangerous game hunt--buff and leopard..was there a total of 21 days--never saw a buffalo or a leopard in that time period--Lloyds brother Kent--was my PH and he was a bigger blow hole than Lloyd--and yes we were also paying "hard earned cash" to go with these guys...

Having said that they offered to let me come back the next year for $250 per day to have another try--so I booked another hunt to follow on the heals of this one and took them up on their offer--ended up shooting a very large buffalo--however the biggest reason I took them up on the second hunt was because I figured this was as inexpensive as I was going to find and as I was going to be there anyway, I gave it another 12 days of my life--risky, I know but it eventually worked out..I think what had happened is they were possibly out of quota and drove us around in hopes of keeping me entertained with shooting plains game--which I did for the first 7 days..

I realize that this is all part of the experience and that Zim is going through really tough times however, as mentioned in the earlier posts--they certainly were not bashful in asking for the money and yes "tips" when the first hunt was over...again--I was paying a very handsome daily rate in addition to the trophy fees..

Now with a bit more experience and time under my belt, there is NO way in hell I would go with them again. period..

Ripp

--------------------

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
      #84886 - 29/08/07 10:38 PM

Quote:

JPK Thank you. Yes, I am sure this PH would be fine for some one in similar poor health who likes to do his hunting " drive by" style, however HHK were very aware that that was not us.

" Not enough info"...what more can I tell tell??

I noted my experience that elephant hunts are most often far more physical than buff hunts, with far more walking. You don't discuss the successful elephant hunt. But you complain that one of the PH's, Steve Boshoff, was terribly unfit for walking, a hallmark of elephant hunting.

You complain that Allan Moodie became too excited in the presence of game and describe this, too briefly, in the description of the buff hunt. But you tell that the elephant hunt went well. Over excitement in the presence of other game, notably buff, but not elephant seems unlikely.

You tell that you all chased the wounded buff for two days bumping him and his companions several times, but you complained of Steve Boshoff's fitness. This seems contradictory.

You complain that Allan Moodie was "just going through the motions" when you tried to follow the wounded bull, but then had to give up because you "pushed them too hard." Seems contradictory that "just going through the motions" results in pushing the buff too hard.

These inconsistencies and contradictions require more explanation, more information. There are plenty of other examples that more detail, more information, might explain as well.

JPK

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #84895 - 30/08/07 02:32 AM

I have not a very large experience with hunting in Africa.
Anyhow all the PHs I saw or used where young (<35)athletic guys..........of course not drinking and not smoking or very few.
What shocks me are 2 facts :
1) the PH makes the client shoot a not ascertained animal, especially when looking for a trophy animal???????
2) the PH let the wounded buff get away??? The rule N°is never ever abandon a wounded animal. When it happens, the hunt stops, no exceptions. One has to recover this animal or prove that the animal is sane. The hunt is finished until this problem is solved, even though it ruins a couple of hardearned hunting days.
Paradox, I don't want to be obnoxious, but it's your role too to make sure that the PH don't bend the rules.
I wish Graham H will solve Your problem : it's really amazing that he let 2 unfit PHs guiding?
Good luck

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#84907 - 30/08/07 05:59 AM

Quote:

In any case I will see if HHK wishes to respond to the comments in order to get the other point of view.

I emailed Graham Hingeston and received an email in reply with a request to post the following report.

Note I am not nor NE is involved in this matter, just facilitating that both sides of the argument or hunt get a fair hearing and chance to comment.

Graham Hingeston: "The hunt was booked by Paul Stone Safaris with us and he had his SA professional hunter accompany the safari as an independent observer. A while back I asked Paul to have his SA PH write me a report to see what the true facts were. He had no axe to grind, he does not work for HHK and I did not solicit any information in this regard. I attached his report and hope this clears up some of the facts. .... I would appreciate it if you would post the attached report as I say written by the SA ph - Herman - who accompanied the clients on the hunt. "

The report by the South African PH:

A. VEHICLES

1. General:

1.1 I cannot comment on the extent to which the vehicles are maintained or serviced as I do not have direct knowledge of this aspect.
1.2 The vehicles, given the current difficulties in Zimbabwe i.r.o. parts/services and the fact that these are working/bush vehicles, appeared, on the face of it, to be in reasonable order. They were certainly not pristine, new vehicles.
1.3 Given what has happened one could probably say that the vehicles could have been in better mechanical order. (It is, of course, ultimately a question as to whether the problems that arose were reasonably foreseeable.)
1.4 I will limit my specific observations to what is stated herein below.

2. Steve’s vehicle:

2.1 It is correct that the vehicle had a mechanical breakdown and that it was unusable afterwards.
2.2 The morning hunting session was lost on the day of the breakdown.
2.3 A replacement vehicle was obtained on the same day and the breakdown did not interfere with the afternoon hunting session on that day or at any further stage.
2.4 Prior to the breakdown the alleged state of the vehicle had no impact on the hunt.
2.5 I cannot comment on the alleged lack of rear brakes as I have no direct knowledge thereof. I was never under the impression that the vehicle was unsafe due to malfunctioning brakes, nor did I at any stage (over a period of 5 days) feel unsafe in that vehicle. (It did appear as if the vehicle’s handbrake was not 100%, but that came into play only whilst the vehicle was stationary.)
2.6 The replacement vehicle functioned faultlessly.

3. Allan’s vehicle:

3.1 I cannot comment on the exact status of the vehicle’s four wheel drive functioning as I have no direct knowledge of the exact nature of the problem.
3.2 It did appear as if the vehicle had problems engaging four wheel drive, or at least a lack of “pull” in four wheel drive.
3.3 Allan told me during the course of the hunt that he recently bought the vehicle and spent a considerable sum of money on servicing the vehicle. I never got the impression that he was aware of the problem until this safari. If he was, then I am sure he would not have attempted to traverse the areas where he got stuck.
3.4 I am aware that the vehicle got stuck whilst I was not present but can obviously not comment on the duration thereof or the impact that it had on hunting time. As far as I know it got stuck twice in one afternoon.
3.5 I was present on two other occasions when the vehicle got stuck. It is correct that on the one occasion it took us the best part of an afternoon to get the vehicle out. On the other occasion it took us approximately three quarters of an hour to get the vehicle out. On this second occasion it got stuck in sand that was so waterlogged that I think most four wheel drive vehicles would have battled in it.
3.6 It is correct that the hi-lift jack gave a lot of problems and that the vehicle does not have a winch.
3.7 I think that the state of the vehicle did cause a limitation of some sorts and it obviously caused delays in hunting, but I do not think it is accurate to say that access to the concession was “severely” limited.
3.8 I also do not think that there was a material loss of hunting opportunities because of the vehicle.
3.9 The areas that seemed to have the highest concentrations of elephant and buffalo were definitely accessible and these were obviously the areas that were concentrated on. Allan was, notwithstanding the state of the vehicle, still able to provide Eric with opportunities on both buffalo and elephant.
3.10 It is consequently perhaps debatable whether this limitation had any impact on the actual outcome of the safari.
3.11 I thought that the “character building” remark was said in jest and perhaps in frustration. It was not dismissive of the seriousness of the situation.
3.12 Allan did mention to me that he was frustrated and embarrassed by the problems with his vehicle – an indication I believe that he was, prior to the safari, unaware of the problem and that he did not dismiss it as trivial.

B. PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS

4. General:

4.1 Both Allan and Steve obviously knew the area intimately (an indication, I submit, that they are experienced hunters).
4.2 I do not know them well enough to express an informed opinion regarding their hunting ability but, during the time I hunted with them I certainly witnessed nothing that made me doubt their hunting ability. In fact, my impression was that they were experienced hunters. Both Eric and Graeme agreed with this assessment just before we parted ways in Victoria Falls.
4.3 They both successfully guided Eric and Graeme on elephant under circumstances and in an area that were obviously not easy.
4.4 I never got the impression that anyone was unhappy with their style, modus operandi, fitness levels, etc. when it came to the elephant hunts and thus find it strange that the same style, modus operandi, fitness levels etc. were unacceptable when it came to the buffalo hunting.

5. Allan Moodie:

5.1 I spent five days with Allan hunting elephant and following Eric’s wounded buffalo. During this period the following situations arose:
5.1.1 an afternoon of trying to close in on elephant in extremely thick riverine jesse;
5.1.2 tracking elephant on a number of occasions and ultimately successfully stalking a herd an shooting a cow;
5.1.3 following and/or looking for the tracks of the wounded buffalo for three days.
5.2 I never got the impression that he was impatient or excitable in the presence of game. In fact, during the stalks on elephant I found Allan to be calm. After the final approach was made on Eric’s elephant, Allan put no pressure on Eric to shoot. The correct animal was identified, the shot was briefly discussed, whereafter Allan told Eric to take the shot whenever he was ready.
5.3 Furthermore, I think the fact that Allan was prepared to persist in looking for the wounded buffalo for five days, even after the trail went cold, is hardly a sign of impatience.
5.4 Furthermore, Allan spent most of an afternoon, after Eric shot his elephant, trying to establish telephonic contact with the HHK office in an attempt to establish whether a further buffalo was available on quota for Eric. He spent some time in Siyakobvu in order to locate someone with a phone that works in that area, borrowed the phone and then spent some further time in order to find someone willing to sell airtime to him. The cell phone connections were obviously very bad and trying to establish successful communications were very difficult. I thought that Allan was very patient in his attempts to get the information.
5.5 I do not know Allan well enough to comment on his temper. I am not aware of him losing his temper with any of the clients at any stage. I submit, with respect, that this in any event had no bearing on the outcome of the safari. Different people deal with frustrating situations, like vehicles getting stuck and bad cell phone connections, differently.
5.6 No hunting time was lost due to the “celebrations” on the night that Eric shot his elephant.
5.7 We left camp as per normal the following morning, went to look for the tracks of the wounded buffalo and found no tracks that indicated that they might belong to the wounded bull. I was present that morning. The day’s hunting was called off because we could not, despite a search of a few hours, find the tracks of the wounded bull, not because of any other reason. I believe that that was the correct and reasonable decision under the circumstances. We nevertheless, at Eric’s insistence, followed random tracks for more than an hour in the hope of finding the wounded bull. Eric was not interested in hunting any other animals. Later that day Allan located a shotgun and offered Eric a go at some bird shooting.

6. Steve Boshoff:

6.1 I do not think that Steve was severely handicapped nor is he physically incapable of hunting because of weight, smoking or a bad knee.
6.2 Steve is in all fairness perhaps not the fittest person I have met.
6.3 Steve did suffer from bronchitis during the course of the safari. It was my understanding that he contracted the bronchitis shortly before the safari started. I shared a room with Steve and can verify that he did take medication (anti-biotics) and use a nebuliser, on an ongoing basis, in order to shake off the bronchitis.
6.4 I spent five days hunting with Steve. At no stage during this period was a stalk or tracking session or hunting day cancelled due to Steve’s inability to carry on. No opportunities to approach animals were lost during those days as a result of the alleged handicaps.
6.5 It is correct that Steve at times suffered from fits of coughing, sometimes in the proximity of animals. This was of some concern to me as well and I distinctly recall holding my breath every time this happened, waiting for the herd to thunder off. I clearly recall that there was not a single occasion where the animals actually ran off because of Steve’s coughing.
6.6 Graeme did on occasion ask me to swop places with him so that he could sit on the back of the truck. He indicated that he enjoyed sitting on the back from time to time (as most clients do). I do not know whether he discussed Steve’s smoking in the vehicle with Steve. (Graeme certainly made no mention of that to me.) I am sure that a polite request to Steve could have solved the problem. I am thus not entirely sure that Steve “insisted” on smoking in the vehicle. Perhaps Steve can comment on this.
6.7 Steve never approached any animals down-wind just for the sake of approaching and I think to say that he did this as “common practice” is perhaps, with respect, an exaggeration. I think the ash-bottle issue is more a question of style and personal preference. Steve and his trackers constantly checked the wind using dust. (The local tracker, whose name escapes me for the moment, in any event did carry and use an ash-bottle.) It is correct that animals sometimes winded us. Anyone with some experience in tracking buffalo/elephant in swirling wind conditions in thick bush will surely appreciate that this will happen from time to time.
6.8 I was present on one occasion when Graeme was on the sticks. I was some distance back and it was my understanding that a buffalo was turned down because, although big, it was not yet fully mature.
6.9 I could, from my position, not see any other shootable bulls in that herd.
6.10 Steve and Graeme were fairly close to the herd for sometime without spooking the herd, but, I think, also in a position where a further approach was not possible.
6.11 I was not present on the other occasions when Graeme was on sticks, but it was my understanding, based on discussions around the dinner table in the evenings, that a bull of approximately 36” was turned down. I can obviously not give any first hand report on this and stand to be corrected in this matter.
6.12 Graeme did, on the first evening of the safari, indicate that he would prefer a bull bigger than the 36” bull he shot last year. (This point came up when the clients enquired about the size of the buffalo trophies one can reasonably expect in the area. Both Allan and Steve mentioned that something in the order of 36” would be about on par.)

7. The wounded buffalo:

7.1 I was not present on the day that the buffalo was wounded and cannot comment on what exactly happened on the day.
7.2 I can however mention the following:
7.2.1 The night before the buffalo was wounded Allan specifically mentioned that he wanted to go the Nabiri/Siyakobvu area to look for bulls that he suspected frequented the area;
7.2.2 It apparently turned out that there were bachelor bulls in that area;
7.2.3 I submit that this is a positive indication of Allan’s experience and local knowledge;
7.2.4 Eric, according to both Allan and Eric, took his shot freehand although shooting sticks were available. Eric specifically mentioned to me during the course of the safari that he does not want to shoot off sticks. (He also shot his elephant freehand – an excellent single side brain shot at approximately 40 yards.)
7.2.5 It appears, from the discussions that I had with him, that Eric is knowledgeable when it comes to firearms, ammunition and the relative merits of softs versus solids under various conditions.
7.3 I was present on days eight, nine and ten when further attempts were made to locate the wounded buffalo.
7.4 Neither fresh tracks that were believed to be those of the bull nor the bull itself were located on days eight and nine.
7.5 The bull was part of a group of three of three bulls. These bulls are apparently relatively territorial and frequent the Ume River near the bridge below Siyakobvu. We were consequently looking for the tracks of three bachelor bulls. (Apparently the track of the wounded bull also showed a twist from time to time and was very large.)
7.6 It was on days eight and nine that Allan, and I concurred with him, mentioned that “there is no plan here”. There were just no tracks to follow, apart from the tracks of a few smallish herds. On day eight we in fact followed one of these herds for a while at Eric’s insistence, but obviously without success.
7.7 On day ten we found the tracks of the three bulls, followed them to where the tracks joined those of a herd and carried on following the herd.
7.8 We eventually came up on some buffalo and a bull ran off which both Allan and Eric believed to be the wounded bull. Apparently the bull was limping. I was some metres back and was unsighted in the thick jesse.
7.9 We followed this bull’s track (it was a large track) and caught up with it again. It was now standing and facing away from us.
7.10 Allan crept up and looked at the bull for some time through his binoculars. Eric was directly behind him. In order to minimise noise and movement, I hung back. I could only see the rear end of the bull.
7.11 The bull turned slightly after a while. Allan indicated that he could see the wound on the bull’s side and was apparently about to indicate to Eric to take the shot. At this point the bull took off again.
7.12 We followed the herd for some time. The herd later split up. We caught up with the herd twice more but could not positively identify the wounded bull and/or get a clear shot at it again.
7.13 After this the herd kept on running in the direction of some very thick jesse. After consultation with his trackers, Allan decided to call off the hunt. They were fairly certain that we would not catch up with the buffalo again. I agreed with that assessment and it was my impression that Eric did as well. By now we were in any event not sure in which splinter group the bull was.
7.14 I disagree that we were just “going through the motions”. Five days were spent trying to get the wounded bull. Allan, in Eric’s absence, on numerous occasions said to me that we need to “get back onto the buffalo’s case” as soon as Eric shot his elephant.
7.15 As stated herein above, whenever there were tracks that we believed were those of the bull, we followed those tracks.
7.16 I do not believe that the approach was negative at all. I think it was realistic and based on experience.
7.17 I never saw the horns of the buffalo – I saw its rear end once. I cannot comment on the trophy quality of the bull.
7.18 Allan did say on a few occasions, on the day that it was wounded and on day ten, that it was not the best of bulls. My understanding was that the spread was fair but that the boss was still soft.
7.19 Allan did say to me that the bull had his head in brush at the time of the shot. He also said that he believed that this bull was, given that it was in a bachelor group, that it had a massive body and that it had a very large track, a mature bull. (The bull I saw on day ten that was believed to be the wounded bull did have a large body and track.)

--------------------
John aka NitroX

paradox_
.375 member

#84942 - 30/08/07 04:19 PM

NitroX, John, thank you very much. You have being able to achieve what I could not....that is getting some communication from HHK, the company that we each paid in excess of AUD15K to honour us with some communication concerning their poor peformance.

Hermans lengthy reply is in part full of destortions of the truth, which I shall highlight in a reply. this will take some time, so I will ask those interested to be patient with me

It is worth making the point here that if Hermans report is correct then why has the company he represents offered us a cash settlement ???????

Watch this space

Thank you.

--------------------

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #84946 - 30/08/07 06:27 PM

paradox

I hunted with HHK fron the Manuyuli Camp in June 2004 for 21 days.

My PH was Wayne Edwards. I had a great hunt. I liked the camp. Wayne was later killed in a car wreck.

Tell us more about the elephant hunt.

I do expect the PH to have a "Safari Car" that is in good shape.

However on all 3 of my Safaris, even though I consider the "Safari Car" was in excellent shape we had mechanical problems and we got stuck. Twice in the middle of a river.

On my last 2 Safaris, not with HHK, but with the same PH, with Brooklands Safaris, even though his Toyota was first quality, we got stuck, and broke some "stuff".

He was great at making a plan, and it did not effect the hunt.

I will say I have been impressed with HHK and Brooklands Safaris considering what I know about conditions in Zimbabwe.

If I was to hunt again with HHK I would hunt with Wayne Williams,[or maybe Brent Hein], as I have met both of them...

When I go back to Zimbabwe, I will most likely go back with Brooklands Safaris, with Donza [Dale Des Fountain] as my PH, with no reservations.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #84980 - 31/08/07 05:15 AM

I don't know what happened here, but I'm sorry you weren't happy with your hunt.

Quote:

Hermans lengthy reply is in part full of destortions of the truth, which I shall highlight in a reply. this will take some time, so I will ask those interested to be patient with me

It is worth making the point here that if Hermans report is correct then why has the company he represents offered us a cash settlement ???????

That's precisely why Herman's report seems so credible. If, as represented, Herman is Paul's (the booking agent's) employee rather than Graham's, it seems quite clear indeed that Herman's report is NOT in his employer's best interests, and not at all in the direction that one would expect his bias to be. Also, it would certainly seem highly unlikely that Paul would hire an observer PH to accompany his clients for the purpose of reporting on the quality of services provided, and then not believe him. Why would Herman lie when doing so is so clearly to the detriment of his employer? Put another way, Herman's report comes off as honest - a guy who called it like he saw it even though doing so won't help his boss recoup any of his loss (the offered cash settlement) from Graham.

Quote:

...then why has the company he represents offered us a cash settlement???????

...as I would have expected. Speaking of the good guys, that's the booking agency business for you. The customer is always right, even when he isn't.

I know quite a few guys who have hunted with HHK in recent years, and have read reports from a number of others. Aside from one guy who said his PH just flat didn't like people of a certain nationality, feedback has been positive. Like I said, I don't know what happened here, but I wish I did. I've always heard HHK represented as one of the premier operators in Zim, and have personally heard competitors concede that HHK had the most extensive resources of the operators there. If Zim is unraveling so fast that even HHK can't keep up with it, maybe the day has finally come to avoid the place. If I choose Zim, I intend to book with HHK in the near future. Somehow, I doubt this thread will change that.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Beware!!!! Large Zimbabwe outfitter doesnt deliver [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #84989 - 31/08/07 09:02 AM

It's always good to hear both sides of the story.

paradox_
.375 member

#84998 - 31/08/07 05:36 PM

JPK Thank you, good to hear from you again.

I am sorry , I am not a professional writter, so I apologise in advance if I have not made mysef clear.

I noted on both of your imputs to the topic that your own experience is that Elephant hunting is far more physical amd requires more walking. You have clearly covered many more Elephant miles than my megere few, and so I bow to your obvious extensive experience in this area.

However, you have made two very wrong assumptions

1) That my experience and apparently that of others was, or should have been the same as you own. Wrong!. My Buffalo hunt involved many hours of walking and physical exertion, whereas my Elephant hunt did not. I have not discussed my Elephant hunt because it was not, and is not a subject of complaint. It represented a very, very small portion of a 10 day Safari. To put this in terms you can understand 10% of the safari was good, 90% was not!!.

2) That Steve Boshoff was required to walk many miles in order to get one of the two Elephants shot, (not mine). He was not required to walk far at all. Just as well!!

Since you have asked I will describe some of Steve excitable behaviour/language. " YOU HAVE SHOT THE DAGGA BOY FROM DAGGA BOY LAND,IM SO EXCITED IM SHAKING " he had not seen the head. "SHOOT MAN SHOOT", I could not see the animal clearly.
On one occasion as a tuskless bull was mock charging I had to ask him not to panic, as the instructions and exitment in his voice rose.

"On chasing the wounded Buff, and complaining of Steves fitness", I agree sounds contraditory. THAT IS BECAUSE I WASNT HUNTING BAFFALO WITH STEVE BOSHOFF, Please read my account one more time.

All of us were suprised when we refound the wouded bulls tracks after 5 days. I felt that only on my insistence did we keep trying, and that after day 4 we were "just going through the motions"

JPK, I am keen to hunt Elephant again next year, so if you were happy perhaps you could tell me what operators you have hunted with????

I hope this helps.

--------------------

paradox_
.375 member

Re: Beware!!!! Large Zimbabwe outfitter doesnt deliver [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #84999 - 31/08/07 05:51 PM

Thank you.

I just ask you to read my reply...or at least give me the opportunity to do so before coming to a conculsion.

No one has said the compensation came from HHK , as you have alluded. Herman represents Paul Stones Safaris.
In fact HHK have made no contact or offers of any sort to myself or hunting companion. The report furnished by Paul Stones Safaris is available only thanks to Johns efforts, and I will offer this topic a reply in due course. I hope you wil read it when available.

Thank you for your interest

--------------------

paradox_
.375 member

#85024 - 01/09/07 07:10 PM

It sees quite a few are interested to know why the Elephant hunt was enjoyable and the rest of the Safari was not so. So here is how it happened and the reasons why is the highlight of an otherwise unsatisfactory Safari.

Not already stated in previous posts is the fact we had booked “ Female Elephant’’. When we arrived in camp we were informed we would be hunting “Tuskless “. Oh, well no big deal I suppose, our silly fault for not checking we would be hunting what we had booked !!. The fault of the agent or HHK???
What do you guys think??

I don’t know as neither have replied.

The Hunt

We had cut tracks crossing one of the main roads ( from the Cruiser), and decided to follow them. Very soon after we easily and quickly came up with a group comprising one Bull, two cows, one tuskless and a calf. After approaching to around 40 yards we determined the calf was not with the tuskless and I was asked did I want to take her. My answer was yes.

As she quartered away I shot her through the middle of the earflap, finding the Brain and killing her instantly. The usual backslapping took place and that was that.

Now, you are asking how was Allan’s behaviour different? For me to say he displayed the same behaviours as previously described during the Buffalo hunt would be untrue. I can say that this was a short Hunt, and did not tax anyone’s skills or patience in particular. ( I would love to say otherwise)
I am informed, however that mood swings, fits of temper and states of extreme excitement can be triggered by many things .

The Enjoyment and satisfaction.

A few years ago I was lucky enough to purchase a Westley Richards 500 Nitro in need of some loving and gentle restoration.
The Rifle has lovely provenance to African history, the original owner having offered advice to President Roosevelt prior to him leaving on his 1909 Safari.

I decided on a project to return this piece of history to Africa on its 100th year anniversary to once again shoot Elephant. I worked for two years to achieve this.

I further desired to take this Elephant in the classic way, on foot and with a single Brain shot. I achieved both, and despite the fact that the rest of the Safari was unsatisfactory, I took pleasure from this small portion of it. This was not because of, but in spite of.

400Nitro

Thanks for you’re input, I understand by shear weight of numbers that HHK has they have being many favourable reports. I am very happy your experiences have been different to mine.
In terms of their resources, no doubt about it, there are a few theories about their access and connections that may explain this. I don’t necessarily think bigger is better, in fact I will be shopping for a smaller, more dedicated operator next time.
I do think big operators like HHK can leave you with the feeling you have being “ processed” as opposed to being treated individually.

Lastly think you are right about Zim. There seems to be a feeling it is about to implode. Good hunting, thanks for listening.

--------------------

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Reged: 09/11/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas
      #85029 - 02/09/07 03:34 AM

In my limited experience, most Zimbabwe elephant cow hunts are tuskless hunts, as least in the Parks areas. I have seen tusked cows listed as available in communal areas but do not know the details.

Edit: It was clear for my hunt that (a) it was for tuskless only, and (b) not exportable. I am surprised that whoever you booked through did not make that clear. Did you book directly with HHK?

--------------------
Some pictures from Namibia

Some pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

Edited by Charles_Helm (02/09/07 03:36 AM)

paradox_
.375 member

Re: Beware!!!! Large Zimbabwe outfitter doesnt deliver [Re: Charles_Helm]
      #85031 - 02/09/07 08:35 AM

Thank you Charles,
You are quite correct. We booked through Paul Stones, of Paul Stones Safaris, and definatley booked tusked female. Last year my hunting companion booked and shot tusked female through the same agent, but a different operator, so it appears the agent " assumed" HHK had tsked female on quota.
May go to show you should book directley?

Great pics, thanks for sharing them.

--------------------

Charles_Helm
.333 member

#85032 - 02/09/07 11:02 AM

My two cents again with only two trips is book directly or with an agent in your location. Communication with the safari company and even better the PH before the hunt has been a big help for me. I always try to distill my understanding into a list that is attached to the safari contract. If I had "exportable tusked cow" on the contract and got "tuskless" I would be unhappy.

Glad you liked the pictures. I did not take enough in Zimbabwe but was doing a lot of walking and not as much picture taking. Still, I was pleased that some of them came out well. I need a newer pocket-sized digital for the hikes!

--------------------

An Elephant Story

paradox_
.375 member

#85033 - 02/09/07 11:10 AM

Good advice, to make clear we booked nonexportable tusked cow, just so there is no mis understanding. Tuskless can be more fun anyway, but it was just another thing in a HHK Safari that almost fell into the shambles catagory.
Will post some pics in return soon.

--------------------

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
      #85061 - 03/09/07 08:44 AM

Ok, here's my Zim story as it appears in African Hunting Gazette. The hunt took place in June 2006. Would I hunt with these people again, or in Zim? Read on ...

ONE MINUTE BUFFALO

A lot of hunting stories start out with the hunter in a tight situation with an unhappy animal off the barrel of his rifle. Well, mine doesn’t begin quite that way. Our adventure began when the hunting truck broke down for the second time in 6 hours.

We (we being me, my brother and his 19-year-old son) had left South Africa early the morning of day six of a fifteen day hunt for plains game and Cape Buffalo. The first five days had been occupied with collecting a Zebra, a Kudu, a couple of wart hogs and a very nice Gemsbuck (Oryx) by my nephew PJ and Sean, his dad. I was fortunate to take a very big, very old Giraffe with a handgun, but that’s for a later story. Then it was time to depart for Zimbabwe to hunt Buffalo.

Over The Road

Anywho, dawn arrived and we were in the truck and out of camp. Our route would take us across the border at the Messina, SA/ Beitbridge, Zimbabwe crossing, then up to a hunting concession on the Gwai River south of Victoria Falls. There were five of us in the Toyota truck – our Professional Hunter (PH) Peter, yours truly, Sean, PJ and Willi our tracker.

Our first taste of adventure came when the exhaust pipe broke off the header when we were about 10 miles south of Beitbridge. Once the truck was repaired at a muffler shop we proceeded to the border.

I’m not going to give a blow-by-blow of the border crossing fun and games, but suffice it to say a little over 5 hours were eaten up in transit. This and the exhaust pipe repair put us into Zim with about 2 hours until darkness. We still had 500+ km to travel, so it looked like we’d hit camp between midnight – one AM.

This just was not to be. As the sun set, we were about 250 km in-country, and had passed through Gwanda 15 minutes before, when Peter tried to downshift for a hill and the clutch pedal sank gracefully to the floorboards. No clutch. Yes darkness.

Off the Road
Closer examination showed a broken hydraulic line going to the clutch slave cylinder. Not only did we have no clutch, we weren’t going to have any clutch anytime in the near future.

Sitting on the side of the road in darkest Zimbabwe is not a place I really wanted to spend the night. Villagers and other people were appearing out of the darkness and within 20 minutes we had an audience of 10-12 men watching our travails.

A quick consultation and Sean, who had a number of years as a race car driver, jumped into the right, driver’s, seat. Yes, right seat! Zimbabwe was set up like England in that the steering wheel was on the right and driving was on the left. We all pushed while he hit the starter and the truck lit off in first gear. Much jumping aboard then ensued!

He was able to operate the truck, shifting the five-speed transmission without the clutch by double-clutching and matching the transmission speed to engine rpm, until we made it into Bulawayo where we spent a very thankful night at the only Holiday Inn within 500 km in any direction. A small amount of alcohol was consumed later, yessir.

More Truck Games

Come the morning, and after a repair was made, we departed scenic Bulawayo (no employment, no food and zero gasoline in the entire country) and headed towards camp - where the engine proceeded to blow up 10 miles before our destination. It could not be repaired in the field, so there we sat until rescued. Hours later we drug into camp.

What has all this to do with hunting, you may ask? Well, the short version is that between all the fun with the truck and some paperwork problems back in SA, we lost 3 of our 7 days set up for hunting Cape Buffalo. The plan had been that PJ would take a cow buffalo and I’d go after a big bull with my handgun, a Smith & Wesson 500 Magnum shooting 500 grain flat points from Hornady factory loads. With only 4 days to get both animals, we were going to need to be up early, out late and very lucky.

A spare truck was supposed to arrive that morning, but by 8:30 no such luck. Finally, we got out chasing tracks in the afternoon, but everything we saw was at least 2 days old. Back to camp by 7 pm and asleep by 9.

Camp

Let me digress here a moment and describe our camp. It was called “Malindi” and was constructed out of railroad cars arraigned in a “V” around a central fireplace area that was raised up to the lever of the car’s entrances and made out of poured concrete. It was a very beautiful camp and we would have enjoyed it immensely except we never saw it in the light as we were up before daylight and back after dark.

There was a water hole about 125-135 yards in front of the camp where a lot of animals would come to drink, we were told, but about all we saw were a few female Sables and some fauns. The cook said buffalo sometimes watered there, but the only tracks we found were quite old.

The next day, before it was light, we were back tracking tracks and busting a lot of bush. Oh yeah – the bush. The undergrowth and trees in Zimbabwe usually are no higher than 15 feet, with the bush being around 4-5 feet tall, but it contains some of the nastiest thorn bushes known to man. Their needles resemble a #24 hypodermic needle and would probably penetrate more Kevlar than a .44 magnum. Plus they break off and fester in the wound. So we walked and grew lots of nice, round red holes. I have absolutely no idea as to how the PHs do it wearing only shorts.

PJ’s Buffalo

In late afternoon we got on some fresh buffalo tracks and followed them for quite a while through the bush, but the buffalo heard us and kept moving away. We later found out that they were just leading us in a big circle, so it was time to jump into the truck and run down to head ‘em off at the next crossing.

We covered a little less than ˝ mile when Peter slammed on the brakes bailed out of the truck and pulled PJ with him. As we followed, he whispered to PJ, “Cow … get your rifle.” PJ pulled his rifle, a Ruger #1 in .458 Lott, out of the padded clamps on the roll bar and ran up to where Peter stood. Peter motioned him forward and pointed down the trail. Seventy-five yards separated them from a cow standing sideways on the trail watching our antics. She wasn’t concerned, just curious.

The Rifle

Before the hunt, I had spent a lot of time with PJ and the Ruger
( Actually, it was my rifle, but upon seeing it for the first time, PJ permanently adopted it.), going over where to place a shot depending on how the buffalo stood and what part of its body could be seen. I told him to smack the buff behind the shoulder and let the bullet do the work.

The .458 Lott is a .404 Jeffery necked up to .458. It is a great deal more powerful than the better-known .458 Winchester Magnum – 5873 ft-lbs of muzzle energy vs. 4622 ft-lbs for the .458 Winchester. Muzzle velocity is up also with the Lott at 2300 fps, and the Winchester coming along at 2040fps. Both shoot a 500-gr. bullet, but the Lott will take the fight out of any dangerous game much better than the Winchester. It do kick a trifle harder, though. The only animal I had ever shot with it was a California wild pig, and that was with a 500-gr. solid. I think the bullet’s still traveling.

The Shot

This cow was almost perpendicular to us, offering a good shoulder shot, but she was starting to get antsy. Peter leaned towards PJ and said something as PJ brought the rifle to his shoulder and flipped off the safety. Booom! The recoil drew him back a step. I heard bullet hit buffalo. The cow found first gear and disappeared into the bush

Here we go again, more tracking, more thorns. Willi, the tracker, found blood on a branch where the cow had stopped to try and wipe off the pain. We tracked. After 5 minutes, or so, we heard the cow moving in the bush about 20 yards ahead of us, but could see nothing. We tracked some more. After a few more minutes, I backed off and returned to the truck so as to have fewer people making noise.

Outcome

My watch said 5:30. The sun dropped below the horizon. The ground, surrounding vegetation and nearby bushes all turned the same shade of gray. Tracking was done for the day. We’d have to return in the morning.

PJ came back to the truck very unhappy with himself. His Kudu had dropped with one shot. His wart hog and Impala did likewise – why hadn’t the buffalo. I reminded him that a Cape Buffalo was a bit tougher than a plains game animal and that my first one had absorbed four .416 hits from my Remington Magnum before becoming steaks and chops. For some reason he wasn’t too interested in war stories right at the moment.

We split up the next morning – me to hunt for a bull and PJ to follow up on his cow. It wasn’t a very good day. I saw exactly nothing and PJ followed tracks for over 3 hours until the blood trail dried up and the cow’s tracks merged with the rest of the heard and disappeared.

Why No Buffalo (we think)

Later, after we had returned to the US, we went over the video of his shot in slow motion. Both shot and impact were clearly visible. The only problem was that the shot was too high and was only a flesh wound that would heal fast and the cow be none the worse for wear.

What happened?

Remember when Peter leaned over to PJ just before he shot? Well, Peter told him to aim for the point of the shoulder, not behind it as we had discussed. PJ errored in thinking a buffalo’s shoulder was like a human’s and up high on the body. It isn’t, it’s down more towards the middle of the torso. He had hit where he aimed, the bullet had blown through, but the cow will see another summer or two. A lesson learned, which I think was good, because he was beginning to think this hunting business was easy. He said (through clenched teeth, I might add) that he’ll be back, and next time bring a Cape Buffalo home.

The End of the Hunt

I spent the next day wandering through the concession trying to pick up some fresh tracks, but to no avail. Darkness intruded, so that was it for the hunt. We were leaving the next morning for Victoria Falls. To add insult to injury, on our way back to camp, we spotted a huge herd of buffalo about 600 yards away over open ground. Too bad! They were fairly smart buffalo and they were in a photograph-only area and could not be hunted. Needless to say, I was not in the best frame of mind when I returned to camp. I spent the evening in my room and skipped dinner. I was pretty graveled because if we hadn’t lost all that time to that bloody piece-of-junk truck, we’d still have days to hunt. Sleep was a long time in coming.

Departure

Six AM came ‘round and up we got. Wasn’t a lot of talking going on this morning until we found we were out of coffee. Now, I can put up with a lot, but no morning coffee was about my limit. Black thoughts!

Time to go. Truck was packed, cameras and suitcases put away, guns in their cases at the bottom of the truck bed. Wasn’t a very happy group of hunters departing camp. Even the trackers were subdued.

One Minute

I was riding shotgun, Sean and PJ in back on the raised seats. Peter sat down and pushed in the clutch; hand on the gearshift.

Then.

Then.

Then!

The cook came running out to the truck, sputtering and shouting!

“Buffalo, buffalo! They come! They are to the water hole.” He pointed over his right shoulder. “They come!”

Out of the truck. Up on the patio. Sure as God made little green frogs, there they were. A herd of about 60 had come to the water hole. They were still in the bush, 300 yards from us, 150 yards from the water. Cows and calves in front, bulls in the back. Little movement. They were checking out the area.

“ Willi, unloadthetruckgettheguns.” My emotions were outpacing my brain and my tongue was caught in the middle. The binoculars were in a case. The binoculars were in my hand, case on the ground. Check out the animals. They were still too bunched up to make out the bulls.

Peter scanned the herd. “There’s some bulls way in the back. They’ll push the cows ‘n’ calves out, then drink last.

The gun cases were open. This was going to be a 125 + yard shot, so the S&W 500 was left behind. I opened the action on the Ruger and fed it a 500-gr. solid. Cranked the scope up to its max – 4 power.

We moved to the front of the patio. I took off my jacket and used it like a sandbag between the gun and table. Peter joined me with his rifle.

“Peter, this is going to be tough. When I shoot, as soon as I shoot, follow me up. If we don’t drop him he’ll disappear into the bush.”

“Ok Tom, but wait until there’s a clear shot.”

One clear shot was all there was going to be. The cows were approaching the water, but milling in tight. Any bulls? Hell, I couldn’t see even one!

My heart finally slowed down enough to where the crosshairs quit bouncing around.

“Tom, look on the far right. There’s a big bull right at the water. He’s got a cow directly in front of him, so wait.” The cow acted like she owned the water hole and didn’t want to leave. ‘He’s going to finish, then turn to go. Wait. Wait until he’s clear the cow.”

The bull finished his drink and turned his rump towards us. He stepped back from the water hole on his way to the bush. The cow in front of him turned and moved to the right. The bull started walking off.

He stopped. Turned to a nearby cow as if to say something. Turned back with a quartering step to the right and stopped. Open! It was going to be a Texas brain shot, but it was the only shot.

He stood still.

I pulled the trigger.

The gun barrel lurched towards the ground! Dead silence.

Did I mention releasing the safety? I thought not. Because I hadn’t. Nice work, Tom!

Ok. Stop. Take a breath. Kick off the safety. Reacquire the sight picture. Same picture – same tail end shot.

The Ruger belched! The bull kicked high into the air and jumped to the side.

“He’s hit,” Peter said. “And hit damn well.”

“Whewwww,” I said.

The bull ran into the herd and they all took off into the brush. They got about 20 yards into the jess and stopped for a short time, then took off. We waited a few minutes before following.

The herd had stopped because the bull had only made it that far before dying. He only went that far on nerves. The bullet entered the left hip, traveled all the way up through the lung and heart and came to a stop just under the hide on the chest. When recovered, it looked like it could have been reloaded and fired again.

The last minute of the last hour of the last day of the hunt.

One minute buffalo!

SIDEBAR – Zimbabwe

Zimbabwe is a landlocked country that gained its independence in 1980. Prior to then It was called Rhodesia. The US State Department does not recommend travel in the country and especially states that the cities can be very dangerous. We originally intended to run straight through the country, only stopping at camp. The truck was a Diesel Toyota and we carried a 55-gallon drum of fuel as there was no gasoline, Diesel or propane available in the entire country. Unemployment is nearing 80% and a country that used to be a net exporter of food is now an importer. The usual cautions prevail; don’t carry or flash any cash or valuables, stay in groups, don’t wander around after dark, stay in well lighted areas, and be careful about people who approach you. You are a walking money bag to them.

During our stay in Zimbabwe, the rate of exchange was 130,000 Zim dollars to one dollar US and rising. When we were in Bulawayo, prices were extremely high. One room for one night at the Holiday Inn was $150 US. Food in the restaurants was likewise very expensive. In our hotel at Victoria Falls, the Kingdom, dinner and drinks were $175. Not bad if steak and a good wine were on the menu, but we were pizza and beer. The crocodile appetizers were good, though.

There was a $20 entrance fee for foreigners at the Falls. Locals were free. Plus, the locals wouldn’t take their own money! That’s right. Even the taxi driver who took us to the airport absolutely refused to take Zim dollars. Plus, he jacked up the fare when we got there. He knew the ticket agent at the airport and we couldn’t check in until our wallets were empty. They did a very professional job of cleaning us out.

Hunting is good, but a lot of the plains game has been snared and turned into bush meat. I can’t blame the villagers, because if I had nothing to eat, I’d set snares myself.

If you want to go hunt there, the buffalo is good, there’s lots of Leopards; Elephants are common. But, be prepared for the situation. Buy travel insurance, buy health insurance, see a travel clinic before you go. Don’t drink the water and don’t swim in the rivers – the crocodiles have enough to eat.

SIDEBAR – On Importing guns Into South Africa

The South African Police have made it a bit harder to import guns for hunting. There’s a new, complicated, 8-page form, South African Police Service SAPS 520 Form, that has to be filled out before entering the country. You will also need a copy of US Customs Form 4457 (at any Customs office) that lists your guns and their serial numbers. Your passport must have at least two free pages – preferably more, especially if you travel into another country during the hunt. It must be valid for at least four months after the end of the hunt.

I wanted to use my handgun in SA, so I had to write a letter explaining just why I wanted to bring it into the country. Also, it had to have a barrel longer than 4 inches and of a caliber suitable for hunting. No 9 mm semis allowed. My gun was a Smith & Wesson Performance Center 500 Magnum with a 10-1/2 in. barrel. If you bring similar, bring lots of ammo as everyone will want to shoot it. Max allowed is 200 rounds per firearm. I brought 40.

I hired an expediter to help bring the guns into SA. I highly recommend doing the same. I used Hunter’s Support Air 2000 (air2000@global.co.za). They charged $125 per hunter and were well worth it.

Going from South Africa to Zim, you’re pretty much on your own at the border. Be prepared for lots of wasted time. You’ll have to check your guns out of South Africa and into Zimbabwe. Bring cash – at least $200 in small bills.

I’d suggest flying from SA to Vic Falls and clearing customs there. You can stay there a night or two, and then your PH will pick you up from your hotel. Handguns are not a problem in Zim providing you grease a palm or two. Your outfitter can handle all the necessary permits. Be prepared for a different culture. Be patient.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#85076 - 03/09/07 09:43 PM

Quote:

In my limited experience, most Zimbabwe elephant cow hunts are tuskless hunts, as least in the Parks areas. I have seen tusked cows listed as available in communal areas but do not know the details.

Edit: It was clear for my hunt that (a) it was for tuskless only, and (b) not exportable. I am surprised that whoever you booked through did not make that clear. ....

Charles,

You might not be aware but Australia does not permit the import of any elephant products - skin, tusks etc, so the fact that "paradox" did not seek to ascertain whether the intended cow's tusks were exportable from Zimbabwe or not is moot as he could not import them into Australia.

If I ever am lucky enough to hunt a ele bull with exportable tusks I would look for a friend to take delivery of them for me.

As for hunting cow permits vs tuskless permits, last year I bought at an SCI auction a hunt for "tuskless cow elephant" and on arriving found out the permits were actually for cow elephants ie tusked or not. So it worked in my favour that time, no complaints. The local council in Omay actually wanted tusked cows to be shot, as they can earn something by selling the ivory even if tiny and there was a small amount of pressure to shoot tusked cows. I preferred tuskless as I think they should be shot out leaving the others to breed.

By chance I took two tuskless cows anyway.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Charles_Helm
.333 member

#85088 - 04/09/07 02:27 AM

It is interesting that you cannot import them even with a CITES permit. It does make sense that the distinction would lose its importance in that case.

As I said, my experience is limited -- one benefit of places like this is we can always learn something.

I agree on the benefits of shooting tuskless and removing them from the herd, although in places it looks like they need to take tusked cows too in the interest of reducing the herd.

--------------------

An Elephant Story

ozhunter
.400 member

#85117 - 04/09/07 06:57 PM

The problem with Tuskless Cow hunts is that there are a lot of hunting areas where there can be next to no Tuskless Elephant so you can be hunting with VERY small odds .

paradox_
.375 member

#85122 - 04/09/07 07:40 PM

Gidaye Oz,
They reckon about 5% or less are Tuskless. To be fair though we had no trouble locating Tuskless, even found two Tuskless bulls. Might be something in the Genes???

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#85181 - 05/09/07 02:33 PM

I'm sure we found a tuskless bull, except we didn't have a tuskless permit, but a cow permit.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

paradox_
.375 member

#85188 - 05/09/07 06:31 PM

Gentlemen,
Just a quick update on our less than satisfactory safari with HHK. I have spoken with my booking agent PAUL STONES SAFARIS, who has been very sympathetic and professional in his approach. This in spite of the fact that many of his representives comments contained in his report are not fully represented or supported by the"clients".
Paul is continuing to strive for some answers from HHK, but given Grahams recent personal tragity we have agreed to have to allow the matter some space.
We remain optimistic of an outcome and would like to thank all for their imput. In the meantime, if booking with HHK MAKE SURE YOU ASK WITH WHOM YOU WILL BE HUNTING.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#85191 - 05/09/07 10:54 PM

I have visited in the past with Paul---he has always appeared to be a straight forward type of guy---Hope it all works out for everyone....

Ripp

--------------------

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #85637 - 15/09/07 04:13 AM

Very positive report on a just completed safari with HHK posted over on Accurate Reloading.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

yukon_delta
.224 member

Reged: 15/07/07
Loc: Palmer, Alaska
      #85640 - 15/09/07 04:59 AM

Interesting report. There are always 2 sides to an event and it will be interesting to see HHK's response. Sounds like the vehicles should definitely have been in better shape...and the one PH as well.

It's kind of odd that the ele hunt went so well and the buff did not. As mentioned, ele hunts are often more strenuous and stressful than buff hunts. Also, a little strange about them not using ash bags or puffers.

Sorry to hear about Graham's loss. HHK has a good reputation and I'm sure they will respond.

paradox_
.375 member

Re: Beware!!!! Large Zimbabwe outfitter doesnt deliver [Re: yukon_delta]
      #85658 - 15/09/07 08:33 AM

Thanks Yukon, No response yet, but Reno is a great place to catch up wth operators.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5546

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com