Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: AFRICAN GAME SHOTS -SHOULDER,NECK OR HEART LUNG??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: AFRICAN GAME SHOTS -SHOULDER,NECK OR HEART LUNG?? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #83467 - 03/08/07 08:11 AM

It was a subjective assessment on a Barnes penetratration path. Noted on a "Texas" style rear spine shot.FMJ seems to penetrate more linearly on other animals.Would a solid penetrate in a more linear fashion? May be deception due to the non expansion of the FMG and the natural curvature of the spine.Yes, FMJ's are not Solids.I have no real experience with true solids on game but I assume it somewhat similar.I guess thats why Barnes still has solids and X Bullets.Theoretically the solids should penetrate deeper and more linearly than the X's..

I enjoy Barnes alot and expecially the TRX.If the barrel likes solid copper bullets they're great.Gotta be careful loading them on the hot side with the longer heavier bullets though-

For long range shooting heart lung is acceptable but if you want to really ground them I feel the Shoulder is the best shot.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: AFRICAN GAME SHOTS -SHOULDER,NECK OR HEART LUNG?? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #83477 - 03/08/07 11:02 AM

Quote:

I enjoy Barnes alot and expecially the TRX.If the barrel likes solid copper bullets they're great.Gotta be careful loading them on the hot side with the longer heavier bullets though-
N.

FYI--I have loaded them in 4 different calibers --257 weatherby, 280 Remington, 300 Ultra-mag and 338 Ultra mag--I am shooting them faster than any of the previously loaded bullets out of each respective caliber--with absolutely no problems what so ever and that included the heavy for caliber bullets...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Ripp
.577 member

#83480 - 03/08/07 11:09 AM

Quote:

Obviously,Buff and Ele should not be purposely shoulder shot broadside due to the chance of poor penetration to the lungs and the danger of tracking a wounded animal.Do any of you out there shoot them this way and if so with what?

What is the forum thoughtand experience on this?

As to the full on shoulder shot--that was actually recommended on Boddington's "TRACKS ACROSS AFRICA" about 2 weeks ago--he stated that one of the most effective shots he uses is to go about 1/3 of the way up the body and dead on the shoulder--drops them like a stone. With today's good bullets available I would take that shot all day long..

Ripp

--------------------

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: AFRICAN GAME SHOTS -SHOULDER,NECK OR HEART LUNG?? [Re: Ripp]
      #83485 - 03/08/07 11:26 AM

Having never shot a buff and by just reading hunting reports I assume a solid should completely penetrate both shoulders-

Hopefully a Swift A frame on the Shoulder should penetrate any bone encountered and still get to both lungs--That would probably be my first choice as a novice buffalo hunter.The rest of the rounds would be solids.

What is everyones experience?

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Ripp
.577 member

#83486 - 03/08/07 11:44 AM

Quote:

Having never shot a buff and by just reading hunting reports I assume a solid should completely penetrate both shoulders-

Hopefully a Swift A frame on the Shoulder should penetrate any bone encountered and still get to both lungs--That would probably be my first choice as a novice buffalo hunter.The rest of the rounds would be solids.

What is everyones experience?

I was not referring to solids on the shoulder shot nor was Boddington in his program--was referring to premium type bullets,, and yes it does work, at least my experience with A-Frames..

Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 65 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5424

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com