Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Recommend a PH

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
SafarisAdministrator
.224 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Recommend a PH
      #58266 - 26/06/06 08:26 PM

If you wish to recommend an African Professional Hunter (PH) with whom you personally hunted with to the members of NitroExpress.com and its readers, please post a recommendation here.

Tell us something about the experience too, for example, where you hunted, what sort of game, favourable (or unfavourable) experiences.

If you posted a story, photos or anything about your hunt on the NitroExpress.com forums, please feel free to post a link to the thread as well.

NitroX

Please also see the "Recommend an Outfitter" thread - here.

Please try to keep this thread on topic. If you wish to ask a question of someone posting a recommendation, please start a NEW THREAD (editing of this thread will be done to keep it on topic).

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Recommend a PH [Re: Safaris]
      #58328 - 05/06/06 01:16 PM

I would like to recommend both Peter Wood of Roger Whittall Safaris (www.rwsafaris.com) and Buzz Charlton of Charlton McCallum Safaris (www.cmsafaris.com). Both work in Zimbabwe guiding dangerous game hunts. Buzz specializes in elephant, and Pete goes for the whole gamut of DG, including leopards with dogs.

With Peter Wood I have shot 4 elephant, 2 buffalo, 2 kudu (including a 60 incher), 1 waterbuck (31 1/4"), 1 giraffe, wildebeest, zebra, baboons, impala, warthog, bushbuck, eland and birds. Pete is a great joker and loves to have fun in addition to hunting very hard.

With Buzz Charlton I have shot 6 elephant, 2 buffalo, baboons and some birds. Buzz likes to help clients see as many elephant as possible, and to get very close for the kill. During my hunt with Buzz I saw over 700 elephants and shot my closest elephant at 7 yards.

Either Peter Wood or Buzz Charlton will deliver an excellent hunt. All the client has to do is show up and put one foot in front of the other.

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: Recommend a PH [Re: 500grains]
      #58330 - 05/06/06 01:35 PM

I've only hunted in Africa once, in Zimbabwe last year. Before that hunt, I had never hunted with a guide or outfitter, so I don't have much to compare the Zim PH experience to. However, I believe the PH was fantastic and he run a good show.

Steve Brewer with HHK Safaris

Here's a link to the report of my hunt.
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=africanhunting&Number=38913&page=9&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Recommend a PH [Re: DPhillips]
      #58332 - 05/06/06 02:05 PM

I have met many PH's that I would be happy to hunt with including a few that I have indeed been lucky to hunted with.
These are the few that really stand out;

Stuart Taylor with whom I have hunted twice with in Zimbabwe and three times in Mozambique. taylorsafricansaf@netconnect.co.zw

Ian Gibson with whom I have hunted with in Zimbabwe twice.

Matthew Stanton and Bill Rowe of Zimtrackers, twice in Zim.

Peter Wood of RW Safaris with whom I hunted with in Zimbabwe.

Mike Taylor once in Moz and spent time a lot of time in different camps with him.

Johnnie Johnson, once in Moz.

Some guys I have met but not hunted with but stand out are;
Buzz Charlton; Zim
Andy Hunter, Zim
Jonathan Taylor; Tanz; <a href="mailto:taylor@kaributanga.com[/Email]
Steve Atwell; Tanz
Spike Classen ;Zim
Paul Frodgem; Zim
Ian Rutledge; Zim
Jamie Wilson; Mozambique
Derek Littleton; Mozambique

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #58360 - 06/06/06 02:07 AM

PHs I have personally used and all did the job to a good standard:

1994 - Wayne Jardine, Zimbabwe whom was contracted by Bulembi Safaris. I helped Wayne almost walk holes in his new hunting boots during this hunt. See outfitter recommendations for more information.

2002 - Dantri Groenewald, South Africa. Dantri was/is an online friend and has the alias "BigFive" on these forums, and was one of the original members of NitroExpress.com. A keen and hard working PH. He organised a safari for me on one of Jaco du Plessis's properties and we hunted and took a good impala, an excellent Limpopo Bushbuck. Bushbuck was my main target. We hunted hard for a hartebeest but they eluded and outsmarted us.

2002 - Pierre van Wyk, Zimbabwe. Pierre was also the outfitter. Primarily it was a cape buffalo hunt and all the other animals taken (five plains game) were just 'extras'. Hunting on his private farm, we unfortunately had a 'warvet' takeover while there, and Pierre was a professional in his handling of the issue. We then arranged a new location in the Matetsi to finish the hunt. Pierre may now be hunting with HHK.

Hopefully many more to mention in the future.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
      #59301 - 26/06/06 08:26 PM

Although I have only limited experience, just four safaris, I can strongly recommend Buzz Charlton, a very friendly and very competent PH. I cannot imagine that any PH could be better. If one is interested, he will explain all kind of wild game behavior, use of all the trees and herbs, he treats his staff like friends and after all due to his abilities we have been very successful during my buffalo-safari. It was a honour to hunt with him.

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #59739 - 09/07/06 02:27 AM

I have hunted in Zimbabwe with Theo Bronkhorst, Wayne Bartlett, Terry Anders and Johan Carinus. Have hunted with them and known them for over 10 years. Everything from Duiker to Elephant and would hunt with any of them at any opportunity.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Recommend a PH [Re: zimhunter]
      #59793 - 10/07/06 03:53 PM

In June 2004 I hunted with Wayne Ewards of HHK for 21 days. I had a great safari, he was a lot of fun to hunt with.
I would have hunted with him again, sadly he was killed in a vehicle accident in Zim a few months after my Safari.

I hunted with Dale Des Fountain [Donza] of Brooklands Safaris in March, 2006 for 30 days. I have also had Dale as a guest on my deer lease 2 different years for some shooting before my Safari. I had a great hunt. Donza likes to get close, as do I. We had a great Safari.

I will hunt with Donza again in Oct 2006 for @35 days, with a little tiger fishing on Lake Kariba thrown in.

I must add that Ian Lewis of www.safarivideos has filmed both of my Safaris, and will film my third. I would not hunt Africa with out him doing the filming.

Brent
.224 member

Reged: 08/04/05
Loc: Iowa
      #60969 - 09/08/06 03:42 AM

I recently returned from hunting in Namibia with Claude Thorburn. I STRONGLY recommend Claude as a PH. He knocks himself out for your hunting, and puts his entire family at your disposal for assistance should you require it - even after you are done hunting and just bumming around the country sightseeing. A super guy to hunt with.

I posted a short note about my hunt at http://bpcr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=753

Note that I use somewhat unconventional ordinance by modern standards. Claude was very open to this and really enjoyed the change of pace and dealing with the restrictions that such gear may impinge upon the hunting.

Brent

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Recommend a PH - Paul Frodsham & Shaun Buffee [Re: Safaris]
      #64692 - 26/10/06 05:26 PM

Paul Frodsham and Shaun Buffee

Paul Frodsham

I hunted with Paul Frodsham as the PH in Zimbabwe in the Northern Omay on Lake Kariba this August. We hunted mainly for cow elephant and ended up taking two. Paul is competent and knows what he is doing and has extensive dangerous game experience.

A crazy guy at times but also fun to be hunt with. No problems at all and he does his best to ensure your hunt is what it is supposed to be, you get the game, value, and have fun. Indeed he went overhis best with my hunt, as his vehicle (a loaned vehicle - long story) broke down on the drive out, he insisted on a charter flight to ensure I made my flight connections in Bulawayo the next day. He told the outfitter he would pay for the charter himself if necessary. One way to see what a PH is, is when unforseen things happen, and they often happen in Africa, is how they handle it on their own initiative.

So five stars for Frodsham.

Paul Frodsham
Inkubu safaris

Email: inkubu@mweb.co.zw

Mobile Num.: +263-11-631 660
Tel/Fax Num.: +263-9-244 043

5 Vair Close
Hillside, Bulawayo
Zimbabwe

Shaun Buffee

I hired Shaun myself as a video-cameraman for the hunt in Zimbabwe but he is or was also an apprentice PH. I believe he is now a fully qualified PH having done his final Zim exams this or last month. He did a lot of camera work for Buzz Charlton's Elephant Hunting DVD and as such for an appy has a tremendous amount of close-in dangerous game experience. And not with a rifle in hand just a video camera.

On my elephant hunts he was right at my right shoulder slightly behind, and always filiming even when the elephants got cheeky.

In camp he was a great guy, very friendly and acted like an outfitter staff PH looking after the clients needs.

I have no hesitation in recommending Shaun as a PH for your hunts, or as a video cameraman. Shaun is a Zimbabwean and lives in South Africa.

His website is : http://www.acacia-safaris.com/

Shaun can be contacted by email on: info@acacia-safaris.com

Shaun Buffee
Acacia Safaris
Mobile Num.: +27 73 244 4487
Fax Num.: +27 86 688 0178

I will add some photos to this post at a later time.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Recommend a PH - Karl Stumpfe, Ndumo Safaris [Re: Safaris]
      #64693 - 26/10/06 05:46 PM

Karl Stumpfe, Ndumo Safaris

I hunted with Karl Stumpfe of Ndumo Safaris in August this year. We hunted in the Kalahari on two free range properties for gemsbok and springbok, and took two of each. Then to a good sized game ranch near Windhoek for warthog and red hartebeest. Of course there were other game animals available, but that was what I was after.

Karl knows his properties and the habits of the game animals and is a Namibian citizen, but also hunts in South Africa and in Zimbabwe (with a Zim PH as is required).

Karl has dangerous game concessions as well, with elephant and buffalo in Namibia, as well as access through a Zimbabwean outfitter in the Zambezi Valley. Possibly another concession elsewhere is in the pipeline.

Karl looks after his client and ensures their holiday and safari is enjoyable and what they are looking for. The lodges were all fine and well established, we actually stayed in a small country hotel in Gochas in the Kalahari with a top chef and gourmet food, and at the house of the game ranch owner near Windhoek. Hunting with Karl is more like hunting with a friend than a PH, except you get to do the shooting!

I hope I get the opportunity one day to hunt dangerous game with Karl in Namibia as I would have no hesitation in booking another safari with Karl, either plains game or dangerous game the next time.

Karl is also a member here on NitroExpress.com under the moniker "Ndumo" and his website is: http://www.huntingsafaris.net/

Karl's email is:
info@huntingsafaris.net

Contact details:

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris

Tel: +27(0)82 7744 334
Tel: +27(0)82 5766 773
Fax: +27 (0) 51 446 1557 or +27 (0) 51 444 1012

P.O.Box 38945
Langenhovenpark, 9330
South Africa

Karl's profile page on NitroExpress.com

I will add some photos to this post soon. See also the comments in the "Recommended Outfitter Listing" for Ndumo Safaris in this forum.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #65291 - 04/11/06 08:45 PM

I DON'T RECOMMEND

HERVE HOUDEBINE.

With him I hunted twice in the CAR and got decents bags.

Sadly he lit a fuse.
This year, he didn't pay any big game permits (1000 € apiece) even though every hunter gave him the money.
He left the camp of my friend outfitter Michel Angelvy without taking care of the trophies.
Previously, he has not paid any levies, taxes and even food, beverages, .....
He left with the staff's salaries (33 people) letting the staff starving, really.
Previously he has sold the trucks, the spare parts, the food and fled to the Cameroon with the 2 new Toyota Hilux.He abandonned a driver on the border, the poor guy waited 2 weeks in vain.
Global loss for my friend outfitter : 200 000 $.
This PH is searched by Interpol and has been sentenced to 2 years of imprisonement in the CAR.
He is now in Cameroon, running a zone that has been rent by his last client in the CAR, Mr Barre, who has (over)shot 8 buffs in the CAR (the allotement is only 2).
It's what I have been told by a couple of hunters and guides.

take care when booking in Cameroon.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Edited by larcher (01/03/07 04:55 AM)

500grains
.416 member

Re: Recommend a PH [Re: larcher]
      #65300 - 05/11/06 01:26 AM

Larcher, Wow! That man is a crook. Thanks for giving us a heads up.

458Win
.333 member

Reged: 15/12/06
Loc: Alaska
Re: Recommend a PH [Re: 500grains]
      #69073 - 08/01/07 09:54 AM

I spent three weeks hunting with Doug Kok in Zimbabwe and Mozambique. He has all the attributes of a great PH. He has great personal skills, is super hard working and is a great naturalist as well as hunter.

Piet Hougaard, in Mozambique owns a fantastic camp along lake Caborra Bassa and also is a great hunter.

--------------------
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

500grains
.416 member

Re: Recommend a PH [Re: 458Win]
      #69074 - 08/01/07 09:59 AM

I understand that Piet sold his Moz concession and that beginning in 2006 it was run by Simon Rogers of Zim and a South African. But I have no more detail than that.

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #69106 - 08/01/07 09:25 PM

Hunted with Cristo Gomes of Mabulapro Safaris in South Africa.Shot a dozen plainsgame with 5 of them as gold medals.The guy makes a real effort to get you the biggest animals available.His lodging and food are first class and he is a real nice guy.If I should ever go to SA again I will definately look him up.

Bwana
.224 member

Reged: 07/03/05
Loc: Monroe, Michigan
Re: Recommend a PH [Re: iqbal]
      #69730 - 18/01/07 01:45 PM

I would highly recommend Hannes Els of Limcroma Safaris of South Africa. He is located in the Limpopo Province of South Africa. He runs a first class operation and the quality and quantity of animals are unbelieveable. I went to him for my first safaris and was extremely pleased. I shot 10 animals and all were amazing. www.limcroma.com

Bwana

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
Re: Recommend a PH [Re: NitroX]
      #70625 - 01/02/07 10:17 PM

Nitro,

What do you mean by "was/is"???????? You bloody Aussie!!!!!!!! Hehehehehehehehe...... I am still around and sure are here to stay my friend!!!

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Recommend a PH [Re: Bigfive]
      #70634 - 02/02/07 03:22 AM

Quote:

Nitro,

What do you mean by "was/is"???????? You bloody Aussie!!!!!!!! Hehehehehehehehe...... I am still around and sure are here to stay my friend!!!

Of course my friend. Good to see you back online. PM me, what are you up to these days.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

SGraves155
.224 member

Reged: 07/11/06
Loc: NW Arkansas
Re: Recommend a PH [Re: NitroX]
      #72118 - 21/02/07 12:08 PM

Marc Harper. we hunted Piet Hougaard's area in Moz and collected buff, PAC ele (45lb bull),croc,zebra,impala, bushbuck in July, 2004. No lions were hunted.

John Wamback in Caprivi Strip, we collected zebra (lion bait) and 2 bull ele, both exportable, on PAC during Nov., 2004. Heard lions, saw lionesses, but we didn't see any of the problem lions in the right zones.

Dean Kendell in Tanz in 2006 collecting 3 buff, leopard, and plains game. Saw several lionesses, didn't see male lions.

All three of these guys knew their stuff and were fairly easy to get along with, and all 3 of these guys are especially keen on lion hunting-- the lions just haven't cooperated yet!

--------------------
Steve

Edited by SGraves155 (21/02/07 12:11 PM)

PSmith
.224 member

Reged: 30/12/06
Loc: Birmingham Alabama
Re: Recommend a PH [Re: SGraves155]
      #84909 - 30/08/07 06:19 AM

September 2006--Zimbabwe--Matetsi Unit 2

Outfitter: Inyathi Hunters

PH Darren Ellerman

I can give Darren Ellerman the highest possible rating as a PH. My hunt in Matetsi was the first time I had ever been hunting (although I shoot my rifles a fair bit). Darren was challenged in that I was inexperienced and the Matetsi area is heavily hunted. Nevertheless, I came back after a ten day hunt (well, I actually only hunted seven days) with seven trophies and I used nine shots. The only thing I failed to get that I tried for was a grysbok because I did not see it in time.

I took a 38" Cape buffalo dagga boy from 20 yards with a .470 NE double and used a .375 H&H bolt action for the following:

40" Livingstone eland from 20 yards
52" kudu from 80 yards
30" waterbuck from 80 yards
zebra from 100 yards
impala from 75 yards
wart hog from 60 yards

Darren was able to find the animals and we were able to stalk up close once we found them. He is quite a good tracker on his own right and is an excellent field judge of the trophies. He just seemed to know where to find particular animals in the unit. With the exception of sable bulls (which were everywhere) we really did not see very many trophy bulls. We only saw six buffalo bulls with only one shootable one, two shootable eland, two shootable waterbuck, and maybe six shootable kudu in the ten day period. I took the wife along with me and Darren was really nice to her as well. Bottom line is that Darren made the maximum effort every day to ensure my success.

--------------------
Life Member NRA
Life Member Safari Club International
DRSS

S2in470
.224 member

Reged: 17/03/05
Loc: Waxahachie Texas
Re: Recommend a PH [Re: PSmith]
      #85562 - 13/09/07 04:25 PM

I can strongly recomend Hannes Els of Limcroma Safaris. We just returned from an amazing 23 day hunt with him in South Africa where we took 36 solid trophies and had a fantastic time! The lodging and food are 5 star and the staff was wonderful.

You can check out our personal website showing the hunt photos is: http://web.mac.com/hunter_elam

Hannes Els website is: www.limcroma.com

Good Hunting!

tmskislc
.224 member

Reged: 25/11/07
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah
Re: Recommend a PH [Re: S2in470]
      #89971 - 28/11/07 02:31 PM

I hunted with Ray Kemp of Lalapa Safaries in South Africa and had an excellent safari. I would recommend him to anyone and plan on booking a cape buffalo hunt with him again soon. I took 13 animals during my last safari with Lalapa and all but one were great specimens. The one that was not was a kudu in the 46"-47" range that my PH told me in advance was small. I wanted him and let Ray know I wanted him and have no regrets on my decision to take him. My partner took one over 50". Prior to hunting with Ray, I was booked with a different outfitter in South Africa that I would not hunt with again. Ray and his family were just the opposite and went far above and beyond to make my hunt the best it could be, which made up greatly for the other camp and PH. Accommodations and food were excellent and the attention to detail in their camp was top notch. I felt like we were best friends from day one and that continued throughout the entire hunt. Conversation during the hunt was rewarding and Ray is an outstanding guy to spend the days with. I especially liked that he went out of his way to hunt the way I wanted to hunt. I let him know that I did not want to just drive all over the place every day in the jeep to hunt. I like to hike in and hunt. So we hiked in over several mountains multiple times during our hunt and hunted by jeep other times. We took some exceptional trophys both ways. My hunting partner was unable to do long hikes due to health and age and Ray accommodated his needs as well with water holes, jeep hunts, short walks, etc. Both of us left extremely pleased with his overall operation.

He can be reached at:

Ray Kemp
Tel/fax: 27 (0) 45 8432112
Cell: 27 (0) 83 6543697
www.lalapasafaris.co.za

Anonymous
Unregistered

#91786 - 17/12/07 07:36 AM

Mark Sullivan, what a rush.

(Edit note:

Sinner, please supply more details, such as details of your hunt, experiences etc. Thanks.)

Edited by NitroX (17/12/07 04:06 PM)

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Recommend a PH [Re: ]
      #91833 - 17/12/07 06:40 PM

Sinner

Have you hunted with Mark Sullivan?

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 45529

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com