Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Angola

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
doublegunfan
.275 member

Reged: 26/04/05
Loc: Brazil
Angola
      #52873 - 21/03/06 02:49 AM

Gentlemen,

I have seen many job offers here in Brazil for positions in Angola, as this Portuguese speaking country seems to be a market for many international companies in several different areas. While there is a lot involved when someone plans to move overseas, for us hunters, gun-laws and hunting opportunities affect a lot.

Has anyone hunted or lived in Angola recently? How are the gun laws for residents and visitors? How are the hunting opportunities?

I don't know anything about the current living conditions there, so if anyone wants to comment on that, I would appreciate too.

Fred

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: Angola [Re: doublegunfan]
      #52875 - 21/03/06 04:55 AM

doublegunfan

That's an excellent question. I insist, I have no answer but for a long time I am wondering when will Angola come back to the real world, to the civilisation.
Since the war has striken this country, a curtain has fallenl and few news have come from there. We learnt that it's peppered with mines, that the communists didn't win (but do they loose?) and that there are many matters more important than hunting for the moment in Angola.
In the same category we can be very happy first Zambia got out, then Mozambique. Will Zimbabwe succumb again? What about the RSA and Namibia privileging more and more the blacks detrimanentally to the whites.
For the moment, among the big countries, one can say that the most ill are the Belgian Congo (Zaïre) or RDC and Angola.
I crave to obtain news from this poor country. Nothing wrong with our Portuguese friends but Ma!!!!!!!!!!!! they let their former colonies in turmoil, or mayhem would have said PH Capstick, or havoc is saying his wife.
Thanks for this most interesting question, more thanks to the ones who can answer, the answers are worth an article in any magazine.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
      #52882 - 21/03/06 07:35 AM

When I hunted Namibia back in 2001, my PH told me that there were so many landmines still in the ground in Angola that there were likely enough of them to equal the number Angolan citizens!

How true that was I don't know, but at the time the Caprivi strip was considered a dangerous area due to the number of armed Angloan soliders, mercenaries, et al, that were criss-crossing the border.

But Angola remains one of my dream countries in Africa to someday hunt. I just hope there are enough animals LEFT to hunt (especially giant sable), and that they clean up the landmines, restart the safari industry in a solid manner, and open it to hunters........

AD

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #52883 - 21/03/06 07:42 AM

Quite a lot of Norwegians live in Angola due to the oil industry, including an aquantence of mine. I have the impression from him that he and his co-workers enjoy living there (although the are more security concience than when back in Norway), and my aquantence is now engaged to a local lady. It doesn't look like he'll be moving back home anytime soon.

I know of a few other people who have travelled thru, and spent time in Angola on their way north or south along the west coast of Africa, and my impression from them is that they all enjoyed Angola a lot. Despite there being some areas in the north east with landmine problems. Bare in mind that these are people who are used to travelling off the beaten track, and in countries with security problems, and thus are more comfortable in some places that others may not be.

I personally wouldn't hesitate checking Angola out if I'd spoken Portugees. And I was close to driving into Angola myself a couple of years ago, but other things got in the way. Maybe another day!

I unfortunatly can't tell you anything about guns regulations etc.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Angola [Re: EricD]
      #52898 - 21/03/06 10:37 AM

In reply to:

Quite a lot of Norwegians live in Angola due to the oil industry

I believe the oil in Angola is in th Cabinda enclave which is actually North of Angola proper and actually surrounded by the Congo.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Angola [Re: NitroX]
      #52926 - 21/03/06 04:41 PM

We have a friend/client who works up there on the mines and he tells me some areas have a landmine problem but not all areas. I understand there's not much up there by way of oraganised hunting but he gets out on the odd hunt for such things as sitatunga..... he tells me the trophy quality is fabulous.... but no Govt facilities to export the trophies, so he has to be content with photographs.

He also tells me that the copshops are full of quality firearms both bolt & doubles that have been there since independance - but again, it's not possible to get export permits...... shame huh?

That said, I understand he's trying to work something out on that now. Let's hope he succeeds......

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

EricD
.416 member

#52935 - 21/03/06 07:30 PM

In reply to:

I believe the oil in Angola is in th Cabinda enclave which is actually North of Angola proper and actually surrounded by the Congo.

As far as I know, the majority of them live in Luanda, since that is where they have the main offices etc.

doublegunfan
.275 member

Reged: 26/04/05
      #53127 - 23/03/06 07:41 AM

Thanks for the various posts, gentlemen. Informative, as always.
I also hope Angola recovers from so many years of civil war. It may take decades for that, however.

Fred

DDouble
.300 member

Reged: 17/02/06
      #53591 - 29/03/06 11:43 PM

A couple of weeks ago I had the priviledge to have lunch with one of the most renowed Angolan PHs, Jorge Alves de Lima. He is a brazilian, now 88 years old and writting his memoires. He lives in Sao Paulo.

I have read the chapter of his hunts in Angola for lion and elephant in the 40's and 50's. Great stuff! And I have seen some of this trophies too. However, most of his early lions skins and ivory were sold as he hunted professionaly and not with clients for many years.

It was great to hear about his hunts in the Congo, in Ubangi-Shari, in Mozambique, in Tanzania, in Chad, Sudan, etc. He did hunt most cornerns of Africa. But his great passion was Angola and his concession in the Mavinga region, near the Cuando river.

His concession in the southwest of Angola was probably the best in the world, where one could shoot the big 5, with lots of black rhino and thick maned lion.

It was with Jorge who guided the great archer Bill Negley to hunt the big 5 with a recurve in the 60's.

His concession was destroyed, his staff killed and then everything was burned. This was a terrorist group led by Savimbi.

The fact remains that in the interior of Angola you can be killed just because you have a 20 dollar watch around your wrist! A lot of money for a bandit. Well worth of a kill. Yes it is improving fast, but still dangerous.

In many areas of the country there are no game left. Some efforts are being made to transplant elephants from Botswana to Angola.

Regarding game the HUGE news last year are that a small herd of Giant Sable was photographed by an infrared camera. This is great as many tought the only Giant Sable population on earth could have been erradicated. Lets leave with the good news.

Dante

--------------------
Ddouble

EricD
.416 member

Re: Angola [Re: DDouble]
      #53611 - 30/03/06 02:32 AM

Dante,

Another option when it comes to finding reasonably up to date info about security etc in Angola is here: HUBB

It's not a hunting website (far from it!), but there are a couple of forums ("sub-Saharan Africa" for example), where Angola is often a topic. And the posts are generally made by people who have been there not only recently, but often in out of the way places. Try a search there, and you'll dig up quite a lot.

As for being killed for a $20 wrist watch, this is the way it is in many African countries. But in reality, this doesn't happen all that often to foreigners. As always, being a bit extra vigilant usually helps IMO.

Erik

DDouble
.300 member

Reged: 17/02/06
      #53668 - 30/03/06 01:36 PM

Erik,

I agree with you. I may have been inadvertently scaring people from going to a place perhaps no more dangerous than some areas in any big city in the US.

I have been to Africa 4 times and was always safe. But I new I should be wise and keep my eyes open as you wisely suggest.

Thanks for the website address.

I have one very wealthy client of my consulting firm who is an Angolan. He is buying some business here, probably from money earned with oil and diamonds in his homeland. He wanted me to go to Angola help him to setup a business in my area and I said NO!

From what I have been hearing from these Angolans, the wildlife is in terrible shape in most of the country. But like what happened in Mozambique, if you give wildlife a chance (specially antelope and buffalo) they breed to good numbers in a decade or so.

Dante

--------------------
Ddouble

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Angola [Re: DDouble]
      #53704 - 31/03/06 05:32 AM

On 4 separate occasions, denizens of the city of Philadelphia nearly got me. And that is not counting mock charges. I have only had such a close call with one elephant, and never with a native African. So overally my impression is that Africa in general is quite safe for the visiting hunter.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Angola [Re: 500grains]
      #181813 - 17/05/11 07:07 PM

BTTT.

Has anyone hunted in Angola, or since this post?

We'd love to hear about it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #181815 - 17/05/11 07:31 PM

Read somewhere that Royal Sable are increasing in numbers there, with a little help from a private individual across the border in Zambia. Any one else heard that ? Edit: I think it was in African Outfitter or African Hunter magazine recently.

Edited by tophet1 (18/05/11 07:45 AM)

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #181821 - 17/05/11 09:10 PM

Quote:

BTTT.

Has anyone hunted in Angola, or since this post?

We'd love to hear about it.

Met a guy who has been working in Angola for years and is now working for a outfit setting up hunting operations in in both Moz (Cabora Bassa and Niassa Block L9)and Angola but feels Angola is still years away.

SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
Re: Angola [Re: ozhunter]
      #181886 - 18/05/11 06:53 PM

Here are some photos of Angola when I was there filming a fishing trip back in 2007 all the photos are from the South Western side of Angola

Angola Photos

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3827

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com