Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Elephant culling - what caliber is best?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: Elephant culling - what caliber is best? [Re: larcher]
      #280402 - 06/04/16 08:06 AM

That is an absolutely superb idea. I will give a try.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #280416 - 06/04/16 10:33 AM

I agree, Larcher - the old ZKK602 BRNO was a serious rifle.
My Mark 10 Mauser also seems so.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: Elephant culling - what caliber is best? [Re: DarylS]
      #280448 - 07/04/16 05:31 AM

Quote:

I agree, Larcher - the old ZKK602 BRNO was a serious rifle.
My Mark 10 Mauser also seems so.

Dear Daryl
Please can you elaborate on Mark 10, it's not clear for me.

Regards to any BRNO, definitely not sexy at all, but can save Your bacon any day, any hour, any second. In fact the question is about sexy rifle or efficient rifle.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Edited by larcher (08/04/16 02:13 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

#280451 - 07/04/16 06:20 AM

Mark 10 Mauser. I don't know who made them, no thumb groove and commercially sold actions and rifles. I have one on my .375/06IMP. It's an excellent M98 action, standard length.

just googled it- Interarms

https://www.google.ca/search?q=mark+10+m...4ylDozkjgTUw4pg

One of the posts on a different forum:

"They are made by Zastava, but the Interarms guns were much more highly finished than the Zastava's currently being imported as Remington 798's. I had one in 458 Win Mag and it was a slick gun and very accurate."

I must add to this - the Mark 10 Mauser actions are quite highly finished, like a Browning FN action.

--------------------
Daryl

Gundog01
.333 member

Reged: 16/05/15
Loc: Ohio usa
      #280469 - 07/04/16 01:35 PM

Quote:

Mark 10 Mauser. I don't know who made them, no thumb groove and commercially sold actions and rifles. I have one on my .375/06IMP. It's an excellent M98 action, standard length.

"They are made by Zastava, but the Interarms guns were much more highly finished than the Zastava's currently being imported as Remington 798's. I had one in 458 Win Mag and it was a slick gun and very accurate."

I must add to this - the Mark 10 Mauser actions are quite highly finished, like a Browning FN action.

Who built and finished the Interarms Mark 10s/Whitworth? All I have ever found that it was a gunmaker in Birmingham.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Elephant culling - what caliber is best? [Re: Gundog01]
      #280473 - 07/04/16 02:09 PM

Could have been Whitworth. Mine is really nicely finished, except I think it has the Parker Hale Santa Barbara bolt. the original for it went missing somewhere.

--------------------
Daryl

pondoro62
.224 member

Reged: 15/12/12
Loc: Norway
      #280484 - 07/04/16 06:09 PM

I am also a big fan of the ZKK 602. I have one in .375H&H and one in .458Win.

What they need to become really good is a proper restock and some polishing of the action...particulary the feeding ramp..

The safety works backwards wich is no good, I opted for an M70 safety..

What you have is a big, sturdy Magnum Mauser action with 5 down the magazine..

I have shot a lot of PG with the .375 and 3 elephant with the .458, the latter with confidence..

However, for elephant hunting I would prefer a large calibre double rifle but for culling a 602 in .458Win. would be my choice..

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Elephant culling - what caliber is best? [Re: Rule303]
      #280495 - 07/04/16 11:08 PM

Quote:

Mannlicher Schoenauer, the "very best" - why?

I guess because that is what he used an came to trust with his life. Some of the great features of the MS are the extremely slick feeding, very slick and fast bolt cycling and absolutely reliable feeding from the rotary magazine. Plus the short action on the .458 cartridge compared to the magnum Mauser actions. All features that would have been welcome in that hot, dirty, stressful job...

Edited by JabaliHunter (07/04/16 11:27 PM)

JabaliHunter
.400 member

#280496 - 07/04/16 11:24 PM

Quote:

It amazes me when people say the Remington is no good. If this was the case then the US Marines and others would not of used it as the base for their sniper rifles. I personally have never experienced any problems with Remington 700. This may be because I was taught on the SMLE where you had to place the round in the magazine and slide it back into position, not just roll it in with the base already at the rear of the mag. Same method as required for any single stack mag that I am aware of. But each to their own.

It is down to a number of things, which boil down to the fact that the requirements for a culling rifle are more akin to a bolt action battle rifle than a bolt action sniper rifle. Experience led these guys to favour the controlled round feeding and full size extractor claw for reliability under these circumstances, i.e. when a jam or miss-feed could cost you your life. Another factor was some early experiences with the .416 rem in Remington rifles regarding pressure and extraction problems. And if you think that these are non issues today, you only have to see buzz Charltons video where his bolt freezes up after firing at a departing elephant. These guys didn't then have access to countless different choices and options - often big calibre rifles came on the market infrequently when an older guy retired.nso word quickly got around as to what was best to spend your hard earned money on and which ones were rumoured to be less reliable. the late Ganyana's reports on rifle problems on the PH exams also showed up rifle problems that had to be overcome and which ones caused problems.

larcher
.416 member

Re: Elephant culling - what caliber is best? [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #280511 - 08/04/16 02:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I guess because that is what he used an came to trust with his life. Some of the great features of the MS are the extremely slick feeding, very slick and fast bolt cycling and absolutely reliable feeding from the rotary magazine. Plus the short action on the .458 cartridge compared to the magnum Mauser actions. All features that would have been welcome in that hot, dirty, stressful job...

Jabalihunter
You perfectly summarizes Rich Hardland's opinion.

Regards to rifles they were using ;
Those in the Game department should use what was provided. They have some preferences but must use the caliber and the rifle this admnistration had selected and issued. For what I understand there also was exceptions with some opting to buy a personal rifle and using the issued ammunitions. That represented an investment in a tool that was fast consumed. It would be fine that Rich Hardland could express himself. He is a very kind man.

Maybe John can join him on Facebook and ask him????

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

larcher
.416 member

#280513 - 08/04/16 02:48 AM

Quote:

Thanks Daryl,
I now see what kind of rifle You use.
It would be fine to have Mr Dorleac opinion. Personally I appreciate the Zasastava action. I am elated that it's not a K98 Mauser action that has been customized. Mr Dorleac could tell You how it could be difficult to pick up a good Mauser action. There were a myriad of actions made. The quality and the steel quality for example are variable and those made during war periods weren't made to the high standard one has to look for for big calibers. In Your case the Zastava action is quite modern and could be fully trusted. I agree with You that the finishing of the Zastava actions could be better. I think that Interarms have requirements specifications.

--------------------

Bystander
.224 member

Reged: 08/04/16
Loc: SC
      #280555 - 08/04/16 12:39 PM

I think the Jeffery .475 double has the power and the accuracy for big game culling

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #280558 - 08/04/16 01:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It amazes me when people say the Remington is no good. If this was the case then the US Marines and others would not of used it as the base for their sniper rifles. I personally have never experienced any problems with Remington 700. This may be because I was taught on the SMLE where you had to place the round in the magazine and slide it back into position, not just roll it in with the base already at the rear of the mag. Same method as required for any single stack mag that I am aware of. But each to their own.

It is down to a number of things, which boil down to the fact that the requirements for a culling rifle are more akin to a bolt action battle rifle than a bolt action sniper rifle. Experience led these guys to favour the controlled round feeding and full size extractor claw for reliability under these circumstances, i.e. when a jam or miss-feed could cost you your life. Another factor was some early experiences with the .416 rem in Remington rifles regarding pressure and extraction problems. And if you think that these are non issues today, you only have to see buzz Charltons video where his bolt freezes up after firing at a departing elephant. These guys didn't then have access to countless different choices and options - often big calibre rifles came on the market infrequently when an older guy retired.nso word quickly got around as to what was best to spend your hard earned money on and which ones were rumoured to be less reliable. the late Ganyana's reports on rifle problems on the PH exams also showed up rifle problems that had to be overcome and which ones caused problems.

I fully understand what you are saying and I think a lot of people are biased by reporting from days gone by. For the first 30 years of my shooting life there is absolutely no way I would trust my life to a Mauser or similar action. I witnessed too many failing. These failures included fail to feed, double feed, fail to extract, dropping fired cases into the action. Shock horror the god of all rifles has failures that people say wont/can't happen with them, My bloody oath they do. The only control round feed rifle I have never had a problem with or seen, except for people who stack the rounds in incorrectly- is the SMLE. Not saying for one minute there won't have been similar problems and it is certainly not an action for high pressure rounds. I have never had an issue with my Remington's, Win M94, Tikkas yet others have.

I do run a Ruger 77 Mk2 and CZ550 and P14/M17s. Learnt that any rifle made by man can and will fail, so when I buy them I run them hard and any issues I have fixed. I know of an incident when a mate was hunting and ran into a decent dust storm. His CZ550 was bound up with the dust and required stripping to full clean and get rifle functional. His son with a ZV24, pulled the bolt out, opened the magazine, blew the dust out and was right to go. Cleaned the barrel when back in camp.

I have heard people talk about pressure and extraction problems with R700 in 416 Rem in Africa. However I have never heard this from a person that it happened to. The other thing that puzzles me is why is 40C hotter in Africa then any where else in the world. I for one can vouch that 45c in Australia is just as hot as 45C in Zimbabwe.

I have not seen that video of Buzz Charlton. However I would suggest that if the case became stuck in the chamber for what ever reason, then the make of rifle has no bearing as you would still have a stuck case. Yes you might be able to get it out with a claw extractor and a lump of wood but at the time the rifle would still be just a tomato stake.

I have read the late Ganyana's write up on the PH exam. Very noteworthy in the main. However some of the stuff ups were operator error. That is not being familiar and comfortable with their rifle.

What would/have I used after dangerous game, most any rifle in adequate calibre that I had tested over time. I did use and love my CZ550 in 416Rigby for Ele and Buff

JabaliHunter
.400 member

#280582 - 09/04/16 01:08 AM

I'm sure that there is an element of that. A lot of this comes from a time when DG ammo was also scarce and very expensive and salaries low, so it was not easy for a novice to become so familiar with their DG rifle. Plus when there is a choice of 2 or perhaps 3 gun shops in the entire country and very few DG calibre rifles to choose from, then you go with what you can afford and also what has the best reputation. You ask around the experience guys and when they tell you of failures, you seek out what is considered reliable and hop you don't get a lemon. Sometimes the choice boiled down to which rifle came with 30 or so rounds of ammunition as you weren't certain when you might be able to get hold of more. This was not a time when DG rifles could be had for $1000 or less and you could buy as much ammo as you liked and shoot it off until you ran out and went the Walmart to buy some more... The price of choosing an unsuitable rifle might mean failing your apprenticeship exam and having to wait another year to retake it, all the while earning a pittance and hopefully having saved enough for another more reliable rifle in the meantime. I expect that many would have been very happy to find good CZ rifles available.

Rule303
.416 member

#280608 - 09/04/16 09:16 AM

JabaliHunter what you say makes sense.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #280650 - 09/04/16 11:01 PM

Quote:

I have heard people talk about pressure and extraction problems with R700 in 416 Rem in Africa. However I have never heard this from a person that it happened to. The other thing that puzzles me is why is 40C hotter in Africa then any where else in the world. I for one can vouch that 45c in Australia is just as hot as 45C in Zimbabwe.

Amazing isn't it.

Quote:

I have read the late Ganyana's write up on the PH exam. Very noteworthy in the main. However some of the stuff ups were operator error. That is not being familiar and comfortable with their rifle.

Part of this is no doubt these guys are all newbies, apprentice PHs with rifles that may not have used much or for a long time. No fine tuning or years of hard esperience with these rifles. A large part of it would be due to these factors. If the "survey" was systemmatic and completely objective on the 'results' of the type of firearm, then the results would be more objective. Compared somewhat to personal subjective observation. The skill of the user still plays a big part.

A comment regarding Mk X's / Whitworth's etc, is some of the longer cartridge chamberings such as .375 H&H Mag are a "tight fit" through the loading port. My Whitworth requires the cartridge to be inserted base first at a backward direction before being pushed into the internal magazine. For a 'thoughtless' loading M98 in the heat of the moment a magnum length action is better. Unless the user is thoroughly esed to the particular rifle.

For my own handloads I deliberately seat the projectiles in mice and deep to make the loading of the magazine easier. Some long pointed projectiles can be a problem and require more careful loading.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

JabaliHunter
.400 member

#280712 - 10/04/16 09:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Seems he was not alone: Terry Irwin in Memoirs of an African Hunter (p118) says

"Magazine rifles are not without problems. I occasionally found that, when the bolt is flicked open in a hurry, the rounds in the magazine pop out of the top, preventing you from reloading. I have also had the magazine baseplate-clip open with the recoil, and all the rounds fall out. Both these faults can be disconcerting in the face of dangerous game, necessitating a hasty retreat. These problems disappeared, though, when I bought a Mannlicher-Schoenauer with a revolving magazine, which held each round individually."

mchughcb
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/14
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #280717 - 11/04/16 12:59 AM

Stupid question. In the bgrc I have to shoot 8 shots in 32 seconds. If doubles are no good for culling elephants then what is the point of this type of competition. Maybe I should just get a cz that I can shove 6 rounds in so I only reload once?

Rule303
.416 member

Re: Elephant culling - what caliber is best? [Re: mchughcb]
      #280726 - 11/04/16 07:04 AM

Quote:

Stupid question. In the bgrc I have to shoot 8 shots in 32 seconds. If doubles are no good for culling elephants then what is the point of this type of competition. Maybe I should just get a cz that I can shove 6 rounds in so I only reload once?

I don't think that is a silly question. My take on it, with no experience in this area is; When culling I would think you would be firing multiple shots repeatedly. Now this would not be a one off situation. I do not know if doubles are able to take this sort of work over extended periods without shooting loose. Most bolt actions can take being worked that hot that you can't touch the barrel-sure the barrels will not last as long as they would if not shot this hot.

Other factor is how many who cull can afford a good reliable double?

mchughcb
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/14
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #280741 - 11/04/16 10:45 PM

Well that and answers that question. The competition does not reflect reality.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #280743 - 11/04/16 11:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks Daryl,
I now see what kind of rifle You use.
It would be fine to have Mr Dorleac opinion. Personally I appreciate the Zasastava action. I am elated that it's not a K98 Mauser action that has been customized. Mr Dorleac could tell You how it could be difficult to pick up a good Mauser action. There were a myriad of actions made. The quality and the steel quality for example are variable and those made during war periods weren't made to the high standard one has to look for for big calibers. In Your case the Zastava action is quite modern and could be fully trusted. I agree with You that the finishing of the Zastava actions could be better. I think that Interarms have requirements specifications.

I have a custom in .416 Remington built on this action..shoots very well --only problem for me personally is the guy put a 25" barrel on it..I would rather have a 22 on a DG rifle..but that is merely personal preference..and not an issue with the action..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
Re: Elephant culling - what caliber is best? [Re: Ripp]
      #280745 - 12/04/16 01:20 AM

Gentlemen,

Being primarily a mountain hunter I haven't Africa safari great experience and I must confess that I had never done elephant …or other game culling.
However, with the help of age, I know some things about repeater rifles.
In my opinion -and for that particular use- the best ever made action is without contest the Original Mauser magnum, the No.19 or No.20 specially built for such caliber as the .404 Jeffery (10,75x73), .416 Rigby or .505 Gibbs.
I know that many clones are offered today, but even the best ones, as provided by FZH for example, are not up the same quality than the old actions made at Oberndorf.
Perhaps the best modern made systems of that kind are those from Mayfair Engineering, machined from hammer forged 8620 nickel-chromium-molybdenum steel blanks.
Second would be the brave Brevex mod.400, very tough and reliable action, perfect to build a .416 or a .505.
The post war Mannlicher-Schönauer magnum is very slick with near perfect feeding, however the original stock is horribly unsuited for recoil control and the sights, small notch rear blade and tiny bead, don't permit quick shots.
Notice also that on this action fitting a scope with a quick and easy detachable low mount could be a real headache!
I like very much the pre-64 Winchester 70' and I consider that such a rifle chambered for the .458WM and fitted with a deeper magazine would be almost perfect for the job.
Regarding the BRNO and CZ the ZKK602 is my first choice and having committed some .404 Jeffery working rifles on that action I can certify that it's extremely sturdy and reliable.
The 550 is not as good and need much more work to qualify in the same class.
Now you must also consider the fine FN built 98' actions that, even of not C type, were of nice quality. We have tested these actions on .404 and .425 W-R rifles originally made at Fabrique Nationale, Herstal, and the only trouble with them is their reduced magazine capacity. My son has built a .458 Lott on ones of these actions, fitted with deep believed magazine, and the rifle performed flawlessly and fed reliably with either .458WM or .458 Lott rounds.
I haven't advice about the Zastava used by the "Withworth" named Interarms rifles of the eighties but here these Yugoslavian Mauser clones don't benefit of particular interest.
Notice also that the wartime Mauser actions, and particularly the BYF42, if they aren't very well finished, are a good basis to build a .458WM working rifle.
Indeed, all the above, is my own observation and I'm sorry for my bad English, hoping it will be understandable…certainly more than my perfect French !

Best to all.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

cooch
.300 member

Reged: 21/09/03
Loc: Southern NSW
      #280758 - 12/04/16 06:32 AM

Quote:

My take on it, with no experience in this area is; When culling I would think you would be firing multiple shots repeatedly. Now this would not be a one off situation. I do not know if doubles are able to take this sort of work over extended periods without shooting loose. Most bolt actions can take being worked that hot that you can't touch the barrel-sure the barrels will not last as long as they would if not shot this hot.

Other factor is how many who cull can afford a good reliable double?

There were a lot of cheap double shotguns around. The style of action itself is not inherently expensive.

Keep in mind that the same firms that made "reliable" double rifles, also made the kind of double-guns that Lord Muckity-Muck would use when going through 50,000 cartridges in a season.

--------------------
"The only logical response to an animal that lives obsessed with avoiding capture is to chase it." - Jose Ortega y Gassett

Altamaha
.333 member

Reged: 29/12/08
Loc: Washington State USA
Re: Elephant culling - what caliber is best? [Re: cooch]
      #280778 - 12/04/16 12:50 PM

Mark X actions (Also called Mark 10): The two below have been floating around my shop for some 30 years. New in box old stock, never had a barrel installed. One day I will think up something to do with them. Bottom action has aftermarket 375 H&H length bottom metal.

I have 5 more with barrels and stocks: 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, 375 H&H and a 458 Win Mag. The 338 has a Shilen barrel, the remainder are factory barreled.

Edited by Altamaha (12/04/16 12:51 PM)

Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: Elephant culling - what caliber is best? [Re: Altamaha]
      #280779 - 12/04/16 01:09 PM

If you are interested in turning loose of one I might be interested.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 61 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 21518

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com