Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Messy buffalo charge

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Messy buffalo charge
      #382489 - 12/02/24 09:36 PM

Copied from WhatsApp.
It was shot with a bow. Myself, PH/Outfitter and the client walked on the tracks for a few kms, good blood but we didn't find a dead buff. Called in the vehicle so the client can switch from bow to rifle. We backtracked about 100 meters to have a buffer between us and last spot of blood. Landowner and manager arrived with dogs, although PH told them not to go in before we are ready with the guns, they just walked off to see of dogs can get blood. 30 seconds later they came back at speed, buffalo circled around and was much closer than the 100 meters we cleared. PH couldn't take a shot because of the manager in the way, him and me circled around to let the guy pass and get a side-on shot on the buffalo. Guy got thrown, client took a shot while guy was in the air, rest is all clear on the video.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/yTRePGRyDGBwSDVW/?mibextid=2JQ9oc

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LRF
.333 member

Reged: 28/03/11
Loc: minnesota ,usa
Re: Messy buffalo charge [Re: NitroX]
      #382492 - 12/02/24 10:20 PM

Link doesn't work, blocked or deleted

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Messy buffalo charge [Re: LRF]
      #382495 - 13/02/24 12:28 AM

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/yTRePGRyDGBwSDVW/?mibextid=2JQ9oc

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#382496 - 13/02/24 12:29 AM

Works for me.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #382499 - 13/02/24 01:11 AM

This is a Facebook post and you have be registered on Facebook to see them.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Messy buffalo charge [Re: DoubleD]
      #382501 - 13/02/24 02:26 AM

Quote:

This is a Facebook post and you have be registered on Facebook to see them.

Maybe. When I click on it, it opens, but I'm not logged in.

Video plays anyway.

I'm using firefox.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #382502 - 13/02/24 03:58 AM

Do have a facebook account?

Doesn't matter if you are logged in, if you have a Facebook account and you click on a Facebook link logged on-logged out you will be auto-logged in and taken to the FB link.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Messy buffalo charge [Re: DoubleD]
      #382503 - 13/02/24 04:53 AM

I watched it. The screen came up asking for a login, but I just clicked on the upper right corner X and the video played.
Lucky guy.
I do not have a face book account.
Sometimes it won't let me see them, other times, NP.
No rhyme nor reason to it.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Messy buffalo charge [Re: DarylS]
      #382507 - 13/02/24 05:10 AM

Very interesting/exciting video, John and thanks for posting.

Someone posted this comment "I don't believe the arrow did the job."

--------------------
RB

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Messy buffalo charge [Re: 85lc]
      #382508 - 13/02/24 05:45 AM

Use enough....arrow?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Messy buffalo charge [Re: 9.3x57]
      #382510 - 13/02/24 07:47 AM

Quote:

Use enough....arrow?

That is funny.

Well, maybe he should have used an arrow with a 1" shaft with an axe head or maybe not and just leave the stick home.

--------------------
RB

bwanabobftw
.375 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Messy buffalo charge [Re: 85lc]
      #382513 - 13/02/24 11:31 AM

“Use enough arrow”
Now that’s funny !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Messy buffalo charge [Re: bwanabobftw]
      #382515 - 13/02/24 12:09 PM

That was messy and lucky. The manager could have been hit with the first shot. However I feel that the PH and client were both calm and measured not shooting wildly. Well done to them but an arrow on a Buff...............please.

The American Indian did but the Bison is not the same as a Cape Buff and they were on horses and more then one of them. I do not know what the agreement between the PH and client was but to me the PH should have been shooting the moment the buff went to move off.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Messy buffalo charge [Re: Rule303]
      #382541 - 14/02/24 07:48 AM

I was informed by an archer from Texas, that the arrows for buffalo had to weigh 1,000 grains & the stick bow(recurve) had to have a draw weight of 150 pounds. I do not know the country he was referring to, but I think Tanzania.
A compound bow needed the same weight arrow and 100 pound draw weight.
At that time, has having a set of 175 pound limbs made for his Black Widow recurve bow.
He was a hell of a good shot with the 75 pound limbs on that riser, on the moose hunt. After the morning hunt, up until and just for a short while after lunch, we'd shoot in camp, at a deer or maybe the cougar target. Lotsa fun!
I was on "camp protection" those years. My .458 Alaskan was in hand for that job. Had a minor grizzly problem when there was moose on the rack.

--------------------
Daryl

Rule303
.416 member

#382547 - 14/02/24 08:59 AM

I know an arrow can kill quicker than a bullet. The arrow broad head has to be razor sharp and cleanly cut the main artery to the brain. A clean cut the artery collapse straight away and zero blood pressure to the brain straight up. For this to happen the archer has to know exactly where to hit and be totally capable of doing this. The broad head has to stay razor sharp until it cuts the artery. No foliage in the arrow path.

So all the planets have to align for this to work. This is why, to me, the PH should be shooting the moment the buff moves away from or toward the them. Hell even when the hunter is using a rifle if the buff moves toward the group I would want the PH to shoot.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #382548 - 14/02/24 01:27 PM

Pretty sure no bowhunter steps up to a buffalo intending to aim for a specific artery.

Heart or double-lung is most often the intended outcome, on any mid- to large game. The quarry is never expected to drop to the shot!

...and I don't want the guy drawing 150lbs to be offering me a handshake!

Howard Hill's longbow for elephant was 125lbs draw-weight, and that was widely considered exceptional for the time.

Done a bit of bowhunting...

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Messy buffalo charge [Re: Marrakai]
      #382551 - 14/02/24 02:46 PM

I drew a 110pound fiberglass backed and bellied bow - once. Guy at a shoot, said I could have it for $100.00 if I could draw it to my draw length. It was 100 pounds. I got it to my draw length of 29" = very close to 110pounds, then let down quickly, as that pulled 2 out of the 3 muscle groups off my right shoulder blade. My own bow at that time, was a Howard Hill 74 pound bow. We were at a 3-D longbow archery tournament (NA Longbow Safari) and I was done - had to carry my right hand in my pocket for the weekend. Awful time getting dressed and wiping my butt. LOL
I was a LONG time healing from that one. Should have warmed up first. LOL
My bro made and still has a 100pound Yew bow he made. Horn knocks, etc. Nice heavy bow and he practiced until he could draw it, to his chest. "Tod's Workshop", Tod Cutler, a U-tuber from England has an archer from the Mary Rose Society shooting a 160pound longbow in some of his videos, enacting feats of the 15th century.
The 1/2 dozen arrows Taylor made for the bow, have English made forged points, 6 different types. The arrows are 4/10" tapered shafts to the nock, made of ash, weighing 1,500gr. each.
Now, it just hangs on the wall with his other archery stuff, but he does shoot a long bow indoors a couple times a week.
He's good with a long bow, always has been - many BC and local 3-D championships on his belt. He's good, even at 75 yrs. old.

--------------------
Daryl

DarylS
.700 member

#382552 - 14/02/24 02:51 PM

The BIG trouble with cape buffalo is the rib cage construction, where I've read an arrow does not get through without cutting a LOT of bone.
2 - blades are max. None of the multi-blade broadheads will hold up - apparently, except maybe the snuffer. The originator of the Snuffer was in the moose camp where I was for a while. He was also a good shot with his recurve, a 75 pounder, seems to me.
My first longbow, back in the 70's, was 82 pound Harvester made by Checkmate in Chilliwack B.C. It kicked like a mule. VERY bad design.
I re-tillered it, reducing the draw weight to 64 pounds and increased it's speed by 20fps. Not a bad trade.

--------------------
Daryl

Rule303
.416 member

#382575 - 15/02/24 08:04 AM

Marrakai, I did not think any bow hunter would be aiming for an artery and was fairly sure no big animal dropped to the shot. Just outlining what it would take for that to happen and why I would want the PH to shoot when animal moves.

If a bow hunter wants to take a Buff, hats off to them, but to me they need to accept the PH shooting. I see no need for an animal to be wandering around wounded for any length of time if that can be prevented. Yes, I know this happens to Buff etc when rifles are used as well.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #382579 - 15/02/24 12:54 PM

Sure, all good points, but a broadhead kills by inflicting a laceration to a vital organ that will cause the animal to bleed out, fall unconscious, and expire. That takes time. Sometimes, no more time than a buff center-punched with a big-bore rifle, but usually much more.

A buff wearing a broadhead through the vitals is not "wandering around wounded". It has been fatally shot and is rapidly hemorrhaging to death, exactly as intended.

If a PH was in the habit of firing his rifle within a second or two of an arrow strike, however perfect, just because the animal didn't immediately fall over, I suspect he would find himself waiting a long time between bowhunter bookings!

...and apologies to all, not meaning to be argumentative here, but bullets and broadheads can be equally effective when properly placed but are polar opposites in how they achieve quietus.

That's all I'll say on the matter.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#382585 - 15/02/24 04:58 PM

Quote:

If a PH was in the habit of firing his rifle within a second or two of an arrow strike, however perfect, just because the animal didn't immediately fall over, I suspect he would find himself waiting a long time between bowhunter bookings.

I've seen videos where the hero PH thinks he should shoot his own rifle at the SAME TIME as his cape buffalo client. I think a Boddington video and I think I remember the PHs name.

If a PH did this to me, I'd be saying he just paid that trophy fee himself.

Not enough experience with cape buffalo for me But with water buffalo I don't mind the PH shooting as well if the bull looks like it's going to run away. One GUIDE did shoot once a bit too quickly for my liking on one buffalo. Hecsaid he thought it was about to run away.

When I've taken guys out, I shot at a buffalo when my partners rifle was empty. The buff at maybe 100 to 200 yards away wounded. I missed but it hit a termite mound, the spectacular dust explosion brought the buff running anged past us. I ran after it to find it walking slowly away and pole axed it. With hindsight I wished I'd let my partner finish it off. But I also don't want to follow up a wounded buffalo for ten KMs in the dry waterless heat.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#382586 - 15/02/24 05:11 PM

Regarding the messy charge. IMO it's a bit of a clown show. Too many people. Too many "chiefs".

I thought the latter even before reading the narration. Six blokes. As the b0narrativecsays dogman and co went off early without being asked. Then were in the way. Perhaps one of them got tossed.

The man to the left shoots very dangerously right when the man is on top of the buffalo, or being tossed. Risks shooting the guy. The man in front of the camera shoots when the tossed man is behind the buffalo.

The tossed guy is luckily to have only maybe a branch puncture wound in the thigh, not a leaking bullet hole or big horn hooked wound.

The tossed guy has a story to tell the rest of his life.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#382595 - 16/02/24 03:33 AM

Here in BC, the last person to shoot an animal is the person who killed it and had better have a tag.
Just such a witnessed kill on a bull moose, ended up with the game warden charging the fellow who put the last bullet into the animal & killing it and not punching HIS tag. The fellow who first shot the moose, had cut his tag, so according to the law here, he had already shot "his" moose, prior to this one.
Tags have dates, months and days and must have the proper date punched out immediately upon killing the animal, before any butchering is done.
How this works with guiding hunts, I do not know, as the guide oft times, is the last person to shoot an animal.
This only happened to me once, on a bear.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 61 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 847

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com