Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Dramatic Charlton McCallum buffalo charge footage

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Dramatic Charlton McCallum buffalo charge footage [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #377725 - 03/07/23 12:19 AM

Quote:

combine the time shot with the score and the power factor of the cartridge (Power factor being bullet weight x bullet diameter x velocity).

Crap formula. Velocity always will be the most important factor in this formula. Smaller calibre, lighter bullet but a very high velocity always wins out.

Also at some point better shooting is always so much more important.

If I brain shoot an elephant,buffalo, lion, etc with a .318 WR 250 gr FMJ, is it inferior to a .500 NE chest shot?

But it is easier to shoot.

A good reason to have calibre cartridges in a competition in groups and minimums as well.

Easier to shoot a 7x57 on paper targets than a .450 NE. But the "opposite" on real dangerous game for most people and circumstances.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (03/07/23 01:53 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Dramatic Charlton McCallum buffalo charge footage [Re: NitroX]
      #377730 - 03/07/23 12:50 AM

I agree on the velocity's "Importance" given for the FPE formula, but the power factor also takes into consideration the bullet diameter. None of the other formulae do this.
With FPE formula the vel. is squared, but not with the "Power Factor" or the momentum formula.
The Momentum formula is better I think than FPE, but does not take into consideration, the bullet's diameter.
The Power Factor gives equal weight to all of these.
Of course, bullet construction is not addressed, which is also of equal or perhaps of the most importance. Thus, there is no mathematical formula which covers all aspects needed for a "true" picture. Some, are just better than others.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Dramatic Charlton McCallum buffalo charge footage [Re: DarylS]
      #377735 - 03/07/23 01:25 AM

Quote:

I agree on the velocity's "Importance" given for the FPE formula,

Imo for thick skinned game, velocity is the least important factor. Bullet weight, calibre and construction far more important.

Tried some examples ....

.308 X 150grs X 3500fps = 161,700

.510 X 570grs X 2000fps = 581,400

OK maybe the velocity in the formula isn't asdramatically skewed as I first thought. After trying some examples.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (03/07/23 01:26 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Dramatic Charlton McCallum buffalo charge footage [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #377739 - 03/07/23 02:03 AM

Quote:

At our Vic BGRC range we now have a second range divided by a massive concrete wall which has been called the dangerous Game range on account of the types of events held on it. It is in a natural setting with slightly sloping ground, plenty of trees and a creek bed half way along. We shoot targets in a similar vein to the BASA shoot in South Africa where the targets are actual pictures of animals in either full size or somewhat smaller depending on the the animal depicted. These include warthogs, buffalo, elephant, hippo and crocks etc. A scoring ring or two are placed over the brain or heart and lung and they are about 2 1/2" inches in diameter and drawn with a texta. A score within is five points and we have a second 1" ring around that ring which is 2 points. Maximum scope power is 3x and at the distances we shoot the ring cannot be seen so you have to know where to shoot. We start gun empty with hands on the stock, the timer is started and one has to load two rounds, fire and then reload another two and fire, then the timer is stopped. We first shoot one round over a chronograph (Before the event is started) and then combine the time shot with the score and the power factor of the cartridge (Power factor being bullet weight x bullet diameter x velocity). This is done to promote the use of bigger cartridges and guns, it is after all a dangerous game shoot. This is by far the most popular event and is great fun, very exciting.

We are in the process of adding additional targets such as rotating and springing targets as well as a charge box. Some of these events will include running from one station to another before shooting but the main crux of all the events is a fast time and reloading to try and simulate pressure.

Is it the same as a real life situation, no. But apart from being great fun it definitely 100% helps getting your brain to work without having to think and muscle memory.

That sounds like great fun and excellent practice.

The only thing missing is if the charging target is not shot with at least one 10, your score should be zero. As you are probably dead.

Adds some tension and stress and a reason why a double barrelled rifle excels. Real emergency use not paper scores.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #377750 - 03/07/23 11:36 AM

If you divided your power factor by 7000 (bullet weight in pounds) then you have Pondoro Taylors TKO value.

While this measure of performance of large calibre cartridges on big dangerous game gets it's share of sceptics, they seem to ignore the fact that Taylor came up with this formula based on the use of heavy solid bullets just missing the brain of elephants but still providing enough stun effect to cause the collapse of the animal and a period of incapacitation allowing a killing shot to be applied. Obviously this sort of performance can also be applied to other large heavy dangerous animals.

Most of the big nitro express cartridges in use during Taylor's time operated with velocities in the 1900-2500 so he found comparisons of performance of these cartridges was better recognised by placing equal store on bullet diameter, weight and velocity.

Taylor, who was a veritable poacher, is credited with killing over 1500 elephant and hundreds of buffalo, rhino and hippo and found that his TKO value gave a good correlation to performance of individual cartridges on these animals.

Those sceptics that discredit his formula should be prepared to back their credentials and tell us how many elephant and other DG they have stood and faced alone without backup and of course with what cartridge/s they were using to match his performance.
W.D.M. Bell you keep quiet and stay out of this discussion.

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: Dramatic Charlton McCallum buffalo charge footage [Re: eagle27]
      #377757 - 03/07/23 04:52 PM

I prefer the two formula of A-Square, the Penetration Index and the Shock Power Index, to the antiquated TKOF.

By hunting DG, it is in a first time all about the first shot placement, where precision and depth penetration count, and only then, especially if something has gone wrong, the schock power for a sufficient stopping of a charge. If you take both factors into account, the situation is very different with many cartridges.

If you only make backup, you can concentrate more on the shock effect, but since the absolute majority of us hunt above all, and very few have to make their backup, both indexes should be taken into account. You can see immediately which cartridges are ahead and have the compromise between depth penetration and shock. They are not the biggest, but also not the ones that are so highly praised by the majority of the African hunters nowadays in terms of their effect.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Dramatic Charlton McCallum buffalo charge footage [Re: grandveneur]
      #377801 - 04/07/23 02:29 PM

Buzz Charlton's online comment:

Quote:

I had hoped that this video would have first been seen on a show with some editing unfortunately it some how got leaked and looks like it’s gone viral so thought I may as well post it .

A very close call indeed . What I find amazing is the arm chair hunters / critics full of advice many of whom probably have never shot a buff let alone a wounded charging buff . Some facts

1 /Clients first shot was excellent you can see the exit behind the shoulder - the buff happened to charge on first impact
2/ Deans first shot was 1 inch high second shot exited
3/ Dean had the incredible presence of mind to focus on loading his double and not taking his eyes off his gun while the buff bore down on him- he managed to load and shoot off the hip dropping it at his feet with a shot in the neck
4/ had he focused on the buff for a second it would have been a disaster
5/ There certainly are no shortage of clowns out there that think they could do better - well done Dean and the client on getting out safely and a beautiful buff !

www.cmsafaris.com

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #377802 - 04/07/23 03:51 PM

Thats not the actual formula, I was just showing the three ingredients, probably shouldn't have included the "x". The actual formula always favors the bigger diameter and heavier bullet, so the exact opposite to what you said. Hence why it also favors bigger guns. Its the formula that BASA use. I can find out what the actual formula is. Our Dangerous Game shoot is Group one minimum, so 0.330" and 225 grain.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #377809 - 05/07/23 01:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree on the velocity's "Importance" given for the FPE formula,

Imo for thick skinned game, velocity is the least important factor. Bullet weight, calibre and construction far more important.

Tried some examples ....

.308 X 150grs X 3500fps = 161,700

.510 X 570grs X 2000fps = 581,400

OK maybe the velocity in the formula isn't as dramatically skewed as I first thought. After trying some examples.

I stand by my statement that the Velocity is VITALLY important for the FPE formula as I said.
That formula was used to show an advantage for high velocity ctgs. compared to lower velocity rounds of the same diameter - ie: WTBY's. We ALL know that bullet weight, construction and diameter are just as, if not more important than velocity.
The FPE formula is not a good one for 'showing' killing power. We also all (I would hope) know that to be true.
A .22-250 with a 40gr. HP bullet produces the same FPE as a .45/70 BP round with 500gr. bullet. I know which one I would rather have for moose and bear shooting. There are so many such comparisons one could make.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: Dramatic Charlton McCallum buffalo charge footage [Re: DarylS]
      #377823 - 05/07/23 09:05 PM

I'm sure John Hunter said never to take your eyes off the animal ,and to use a stopping round ,for me it would need to be a 500 NE or 577 NE/585 ,and at least to me, reloading your rifle without looking at it, and keep your eyes on the animal ,that's just my view ,Not saying I could have done it better, but we all can learn something from this ,Cape Buffalo being a big solid animal ,i've shot about 70 Water buffalo with a 378,458 Lott ,470 NE and 585 ,hopefully will get a Cape Buffalo some day.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Dramatic Charlton McCallum buffalo charge footage [Re: 500Boswell]
      #377824 - 05/07/23 09:57 PM

Ok so I have the formula we use which is the same as used in the Basa shoot.

This power factor is based upon a foot pounds calculation. It could be done using another method of calculation for another power factor. None are perfect. This one was derived from BASA and it seems just fine as it rewards those who use powerful rifles.

The formula:

1+ ((Bullet Weight) x (Velocity x Velocity)) / 4502400000

The above formula gives the power factor which is then used in the following formula:

Power Factor x Score x (K / time in Seconds) where K is 385.8322563

This final formula gives your score and it is designed to favor bigger calibers. We have it set up on a Excel Spread sheet and is very easy to use.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4214

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com