Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Why elephants have tusks

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Why elephants have tusks
      #365586 - 18/05/22 08:17 PM

https://tsavotrust.org/an-elephants-tusk...ual-proclivity/

https://tsavotrust.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/SUPER-TUSKER-CONSERVATION.jpeg

An elephants tusks: why do they have them and what affect it has on sexual proclivity

6 May, 2022 Blog

Here at the Tsavo Trust, our operational remit is to protect all elephant from poaching and from conflict with humans. However, more specifically, we look to conserve big tuskers.

Illegal ivory traders get more for larger tusks and, as a result, the largest, best-endowed elephant are at the greatest risk of poaching. Though elephant do not necessarily need huge tusks, either for mating or for the successful going about of their day-to-day, big tuskers have long been an iconic minority amongst this incredible species.

The reason why we protect these, the most magnificently adorned of Africa’s elephant, is because we do not want it to be on our watch that this extraordinary evolutionary development is wiped from the genetic capability of a species.

There has been research to suggest that high poaching rates of these iconic, gene-pool-diversifying creatures has resulted in the emergence of a smaller tusked generation of elephant. If you want to read more about this, then you can access a previous article we wrote on it here.
Why do elephant have tusks?

In African elephant, both the males and females have tusks. Male elephant with tusks that weigh more than 45 kg are what we consider Super Tuskers. Male elephant often have tusks that are between five and seven times larger than the tusks of females.

Female African elephant don’t tend to have as heavy, or as broad tusks. They seldom reach 45kg but are often long enough to run across the ground. When this is the case, females are considered iconic cows.

Contrastingly, amongst Asian elephant, only the males can grow tusks and when the males do they tend not to be so long or heavy as those on their African distant relatives.

Elephant tusks are, in fact, incisors. While we, and many carnivorous mammals, use our incisors to tear or hold our food, elephant use theirs for digging holes, for stripping bark from trees and, occasionally, for conflict.
If tusk sizes aren’t important for mating, what is?

Tusk size was previously considered a driving factor in male elephant’s reproductive success. We cannot, of course, be completely certain of what exactly such a social and intelligent species of animal values in establishing mating authority.

There does seem to be some correlation between tusk size and sexual proclivity. There also seems a relation between the width of a male’s brow and it’s success rate.

However, what is most evidently linked is a male’s age and, specifically, how age shapes the frequency with which male elephant arrive at regular periods of musth. Unlike most mammals, in which mating success rates tend to decline as the males age, elephant bulls become increasingly more sexually active as they get older.

Despite that males can achieve musth at roughly the age of 15, they don’t get into a regular rhythm of achieving that state until they are around 35. By 50, according to national geographic, they are so regular that their sexual endeavour is at it’s most obvious.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (18/05/22 08:19 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Why elephants have tusks [Re: NitroX]
      #365593 - 18/05/22 11:52 PM

Very interesting article...

AND once again confirms what we all already knew.. Size matters..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Why elephants have tusks [Re: Ripp]
      #365611 - 19/05/22 02:51 AM

LOL. Good information. TKS John.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Why elephants have tusks [Re: DarylS]
      #365687 - 21/05/22 12:47 AM

John,

Thanks for posting. Interesting article. I was surprised that the older the bull elephant is, the more sexually active it is.

It seems like the large tusks are genetic, & thus killing the big tusk elephants may take those out of the gene pool. There could be a selective breeding program to increase the number of bid tusk elephants, countering those killed by poachers.

--------------------
RB

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Why elephants have tusks [Re: 85lc]
      #365704 - 21/05/22 06:22 PM

I think it is partly genetic. Maybe? Maybe not? The genetic argument is a useful anti trophy hunting argument. Is it supported by science, actual statistics of age and trophy size?

I think the age of the bulls is a big determinator of tusk size. If average bulls are killed too early, they may never grow their ivory to impressive weight.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 650

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com