Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Is there a perfect Cape Buffalo Calibre ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
chuck375
.333 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: Colorado Springs CO
Re: Is there a perfect Cape Buffalo Calibre ? [Re: driftwood]
      #88955 - 14/11/07 03:37 PM

How does the 470 Capstick fare as a buffalo round?

--------------------
"There's a saying in prize fighting: Everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Is there a perfect Cape Buffalo Calibre ? [Re: chuck375]
      #88972 - 14/11/07 11:25 PM

it will kill them

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

1980E26
.300 member

Reged: 03/05/05
Loc: USA
Re: Is there a perfect Cape Buffalo Calibre ? [Re: Weatherby]
      #89024 - 15/11/07 12:50 PM

Weatherby,

Make mine a five double seven. No replacement for displacement. If a ton of attitude were barreling down on me I would want something to change his mind.

I can here it now. They are too heavy, kick too much, blah, blah, blah. When its life and death I want to go into battle ready for the worst.

Corbin
PS. If the .577 is no close hand me the .600:))

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Is there a perfect Cape Buffalo Calibre ? [Re: 1980E26]
      #89031 - 15/11/07 01:41 PM

Will you be ready for the worst with such a heavy rifle after five hours of tracking in 40"c heat?

1980E26
.300 member

Reged: 03/05/05
Loc: USA
Re: Is there a perfect Cape Buffalo Calibre ? [Re: ozhunter]
      #89045 - 15/11/07 04:56 PM

Ozhunter,

No worries. Im in good shape, can carry a heavy rifle and love the heat. 100 mile bike rides and triathlon training (swim, bike, run) helps keep me in shape:))) It gets very hot where I live with a ton of humidity. Is there any particular guide you would recommend down under?

Make mine a five double seven.

Corbin

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Is there a perfect Cape Buffalo Calibre ? [Re: 1980E26]
      #89047 - 15/11/07 06:15 PM

No particular guides here in Aus, but Zimbabwe, yes.

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
Re: Is there a perfect Cape Buffalo Calibre ? [Re: ozhunter]
      #89302 - 20/11/07 01:01 AM

Unfortunatly no big doubles for me. It is purely because of the price tag. I don't have any options but to use my 460WBY MAG. I believe it should do.

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Is there a perfect Cape Buffalo Calibre ? [Re: Bigfive]
      #358703 - 30/11/21 02:38 AM

Come across this today.. wondering others thoughts and experiences..

Was interesting to read..

Since this was posted I have been on another 3 trips to Africa.. 2 in Zim., 1 in Cameroon..Based on my experiences there,, I'd stick with my post back then.. I have had the opportunity to use a .375H&H on Buff in Cameroon.. not super impressed.. while it did kill the buff, shoulder shot..he ran a good 150 yards before collapsing.. I tried to get another shot into him as he come back out of the brush.. sadly my Sako model 75 jammed and was unable to.. this actually could have been really bad for me.. as I ran forward towards the buffalo to clear some brush for another shot..my older PH was way behind me..

Lessons learned..

1. Will never hunt a buff again with anything less than one of my .416's... Use enough gun..

2. The PH is not always there to back you up.. so, you always need to be able to handle things yourself.. My PH assigned to me initally on that hunt should have retired 10 years ago.. he was in horrible shape.. and way to old to do that type of hunt....

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (30/11/21 07:39 PM)

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: Is there a perfect Cape Buffalo Calibre ? [Re: Ripp]
      #358705 - 30/11/21 03:38 AM

I have just counted and found that since 2007 I have shot 9 another buffalos. I shot all of them with the cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum.

I had only one problem for finding a buffalo with not perfect shot placement that fled into the tall grass in the near. We went inside the tall grass without PH for backup, did not exist on this hunt, only my local guide and me. The buffalo faced us, I shot fast and then it was out of sight. For safety reasons, the local guide did not want to continue walking in the tall grass. Unfortunately I couldn't find the buffalo until the next day, very near from where I shot it the second time.

The others buffalos all stayed and died where they were shot.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Is there a perfect Cape Buffalo Calibre ? [Re: grandveneur]
      #358713 - 30/11/21 07:14 AM

Quote:

I have just counted and found that since 2007 I have shot 9 another buffalos. I shot all of them with the cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum.

I had only one problem for finding a buffalo with not perfect shot placement that fled into the tall grass in the near. We went inside the tall grass without PH for backup, did not exist on this hunt, only my local guide and me. The buffalo faced us, I shot fast and then it was out of sight. For safety reasons, the local guide did not want to continue walking in the tall grass. Unfortunately I couldn't find the buffalo until the next day, very near from where I shot it the second time.

The others buffalos all stayed and died where they were shot.

None of that surprises me.. have a good friend who was a Weatherby dealer for aobut 40 years.. shot a few of his he had sold to customers.. getting them sighted in.. happy to say the ones I shot had breaks on them.. LOTS of power in that cartridge...

He went on 2 hunts with me to Africa..I personally never saw an animal walk after getting hit with his .460.. Saw him hit a buffalo once on the other side of the river.. put its head down to drink.. he touched one off..it dropped right there..head in the river..

--------------------

grandveneur
.400 member

#358724 - 30/11/21 07:24 PM

I shot before buffalos with very different cartridges, also with the cartridge 375 H&H Magnum and even the cartridge 9,3x74R, the latter is comparable to the cartridge 9,3x62 that is sometimes used for this hunt.

I would therefore also advise everyone to use at least a cartridge caliber 416 for buffalo hunting.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #358725 - 30/11/21 09:33 PM

I figure the bullet used is equal to or more important than the calibre. I too think 416 and up calibre wise but a 9.3 or better yet a 375 H&H with Hydros or similar.

Bolt or double. I like the handling of a good balance double but would rather a bolt for DG. I have carried an SLR in the Army Reserves, 10ld of rifle. I have also carried a Bren Gun & M60 18+lbs. after a couple of hours the heavier arms take their toll. Also, from an old African hand I knew, there are as many dead men because they had a double as their are because they didn't use a double. Doubles are far less tolerant of abuse, sand, dust etc than a bolt action.

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: Is there a perfect Cape Buffalo Calibre ? [Re: Rule303]
      #358726 - 30/11/21 10:07 PM

One can discuss that.

I mostly used the 500gr SP bullet from Hornady for the cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum. The bullet worked very good, enough deep penetration and wide wound channels.

Even with the 10.75x68 cartridge and the very simple original 22,5g thinly coated FMJ bullet from RWS, I had a good working with buffalos dead in place in the two cases. This cartridge is a different topic when it comes to its use for hunting DG.

I think that the smaller the caliber, for sure the more you have to pay attention to the bullet. With the cartridge 9,3x74R I only used 19g FMJ bullets. There was hardly anything better for the DG hunt at the time.

Edited by grandveneur (30/11/21 10:12 PM)

grandveneur
.400 member

#358727 - 30/11/21 10:38 PM

I should actually correct the use of the cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum in the years since 2007.

During this period I shot an another buffalo with the cartridge 11,2x72 Schüler. This cartridge would be a good DG cartridge if there were good bullets available for it, and especially if it still actually would exist.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #358729 - 30/11/21 11:53 PM

Without using it, completely armchair, I would say a .500 NE, .500 Jeffery and .505 Gibbs would be the perfect close in buffalo choices.

If longer distance of shooting in a herd can't see why a .375, .404, .416 won't work.

Carry both! Scope sighted smaller DG rifle and dr .500.

I don't see the purpose of ultra high velocity DG cartridges, when a larger calibre works better than more fps. Everyone to their own.

In the meantime, my .450 No.2 NE will be fine as my preferred choice. Would love to give the .404 a go soon, even though it IS a modern bolt action. My .375 ba and 9.3 dr are also fine.

Actually I want to really give the 10-bore WR DR the next to.

The word "perfect" is an extremely subjective word. And guaranteed to create debate.

PS I wonder if I replied previously and how close or different this response is?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: Is there a perfect Cape Buffalo Calibre ? [Re: NitroX]
      #358732 - 01/12/21 12:05 AM

I shot one buffalo with a cartridge caliber 12,7x70 Schüler. I was tracking elephants and unfortunately for it, the buffalo happened to pass the track.

The 500 Jeffery cartridge is a very good cartridge for big game hunting, especially elephants, but not absolutely necessary for shooting buffalos.

Ripp
.577 member

#358737 - 01/12/21 03:33 AM

Quote:

Without using it, completely armchair, I would say a .500 NE, .500 Jeffery and .505 Gibbs would be the perfect close in buffalo choices.

If longer distance of shooting in a herd can't see why a .375, .404, .416 won't work.

Carry both! Scope sighted smaller DG rifle and dr .500.

I don't see the purpose of ultra high velocity DG cartridges, when a larger calibre works better than more fps. Everyone to their own.

In the meantime, my .450 No.2 NE will be fine as my preferred choice. Would love to give the .404 a go soon, even though it IS a modern bolt action. My .375 ba and 9.3 dr are also fine.

Actually I want to really give the 10-bore WR DR the next to.

The word "perfect" is an extremely subjective word. And guaranteed to create debate.

PS I wonder if I replied previously and how close or different this response is?

HERE you go..

Quote:

My choice would be a .450 double (or similar sized double) with a scope option as the ideal buffalo rifle.

A .416, .400 or similar in a double would also be quite nice.

A double rifle is preferred but a bolt action in a similar calibre will also do the deed if one prefers a bolt action.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #358740 - 01/12/21 06:39 AM

I must tell the truth as my comments do not change much.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #358744 - 01/12/21 07:41 AM

I have killed Cape buffalo with both my Krieghoff Teck O/U .458 WM double rifle and my wildcat .505 SRE, and I prefer the .505 for the more emphasis it brings to the table. I once killed three buffalo with four shots in less than three minutes. That's the kind of performance I respect.
My .505 is loaded with Kynoch 570 grain solids meant for the .500 Nitro Express and the load I use duplicates the .500 NE performance: 570 grain bullet at 2150 fps. The rifle weighs 8.75 pounds and I could carry it all day. Its weight matched almost exactly the weight of the M1 rifle I was issued when I first joined the Marine Corps in 1960.

[IMG]https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/ee504/xausa/P14%20Enfields/.highres/9.3X64%20004%205_zpsoh5f8cmt.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds[/IMG]

[IMG]https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/ee504/xausa/Africa/.highres/pix018_zps581f7ee8.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds[/IMG]

Rule303
.416 member

#358747 - 01/12/21 09:25 AM

I put a lot of stock in the design of the bullet. Plenty of Elephants were only wounded when shot with the 4 bores. If the construction of the bullet is not up to the task of penetrating deep enough then the calibre is of little consequence.

Here I go with the "if's". If the bullet is up to the task, if I could handle a 500 calibre well and if I could afford one, then I would prefer a 500 or 505 in a bolt rifle.

The reasons I like the Hydro's even for Buff are: The distance it will penetrate means that even with a less then ideal presentation of the animal it will still reach the vitals; They have a reputation, and I have yet to see or hear different, of straight line penetration even when going through brush, small trees etc and still reaching the vitals; their performance (Tissue damage/wound channel) on game is way better than a conventional solid but not as good a s a soft nose, a cross between the two. I do believe solids with a decent metplat will provide a similar wound channel and penetration.

The draw back is using either of these on an animal in a herd for a side on shot is you may well have a pass through and wound another animal.

Ripp
.577 member

#358748 - 01/12/21 09:39 AM

Quote:

I put a lot of stock in the design of the bullet. Plenty of Elephants were only wounded when shot with the 4 bores. If the construction of the bullet is not up to the task of penetrating deep enough then the calibre is of little consequence.

Here I go with the "if's". If the bullet is up to the task, if I could handle a 500 calibre well and if I could afford one, then I would prefer a 500 or 505 in a bolt rifle.

The reasons I like the Hydro's even for Buff are: The distance it will penetrate means that even with a less then ideal presentation of the animal it will still reach the vitals; They have a reputation, and I have yet to see or hear different, of straight line penetration even when going through brush, small trees etc and still reaching the vitals; their performance (Tissue damage/wound channel) on game is way better than a conventional solid but not as good a s a soft nose, a cross between the two. I do believe solids with a decent metplat will provide a similar wound channel and penetration.

The draw back is using either of these on an animal in a herd for a side on shot is you may well have a pass through and wound another animal.

I took a large buff once, broadside shot, at about 75 yards.. passed through and killed a bull on the other side of the one I shot.. My guide said he had never seen that happen in his 20+ years of guiding.. soft making a complete pass through..factory ammo.. 400 Gr Swift A-Frames..416 Rem.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #358753 - 01/12/21 12:55 PM

With herd animals, I think another one getting hit on the off side of a "target animal" happens more often than reported.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: Is there a perfect Cape Buffalo Calibre ? [Re: driftwood]
      #358763 - 01/12/21 07:04 PM

577 Nitro or 585s !

Rule303
.416 member

#358767 - 01/12/21 07:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I took a large buff once, broadside shot, at about 75 yards.. passed through and killed a bull on the other side of the one I shot.. My guide said he had never seen that happen in his 20+ years of guiding.. soft making a complete pass through..factory ammo.. 400 Gr Swift A-Frames..416 Rem.

Have to admit that A-Frames are in a league of their own when it comes to Soft Points.

Ripp
.577 member

#358792 - 02/12/21 06:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Have to admit that A-Frames are in a league of their own when it comes to Soft Points.

In my experience, indeed they are... Work equally as well out of my 28N and 300RUM... They still do an incredible job even at the high velocities....Close range or 500 yards.. Great design..

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11503

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com