Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Air Lines & Rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Lefty
.224 member

Reged: 10/06/05
Loc: The Great Valley of Virginia
Air Lines & Rifles
      #33318 - 18/06/05 04:10 AM

I am going to Zimbabwe in Aug. on a business trip. Last time I was there (earlier this year) I found some friends to hunt with but had to use borrowed rifles, which left a lot to be desired. This time I am taking a couple of my own rifles. I haven't flown with firearms in a long time and would appreciate any advise or tips anyone has to offer on making this less of a hassle. I will be flying from Virginia to Atlanta on Delta, then on South African Air (Delt code share) to Jo'burg, then a British Air flight operated by ComAir to Harare. Anyone out there flown this route? Thanks for any help y'all can give me.

Lefty

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rgp
.333 member

Reged: 17/06/04
Loc: TX & VIC
Re: Air Lines & Rifles [Re: Lefty]
      #33332 - 18/06/05 03:31 PM

The FAA and JAA and other governing bodies amend regulations rather frequently, so it's best to get information directly from the airlines and any customs agency you have to pass through and ignore what anyone else who rode the route will tell you.

Information from passengers is generally an interpretation of their own personal experience, and may frequently be incorrect (ie, "I didn't have a problem at location X, you won't either" ignores the information about the other guy who was stopped and checked and had to be 100% within the letter of the law), so follow the offical policies, as stated in writing, and don't cheat on the weight of your baggage or anything else.

Richard.

EDIT:

Remember you are the one with all legal liability for anything you do. Nobody else. Hence the need to check properly and verify rather than asking other passengers.

RGP

Edited by rgp (18/06/05 04:42 PM)

Gadge
.300 member

Reged: 02/05/04
Loc: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia
      #33384 - 19/06/05 03:48 PM

Lefty,
The 'Hunting Reports - Africa' and 'African Big Game Hunting' forums over at AR are the best for up to date info and experiences. Browse through the subjects - this one comes up often, particularly with the almost daily changes in rule interpretation in RSA.

The transfer at Joburg is the most likely to create hassles, if you have to claim your baggage in transit - see this AR thread.

For an overview of the rules, see this AR rundown , and the PHASA site under 'General Hunting Info'. Note particularly the section on required paperwork, if your baggage isn't transferred by the airlines.

--------------------
Cheers,
Doug

Lefty
.224 member

Re: Air Lines & Rifles [Re: Gadge]
      #33426 - 20/06/05 04:41 AM

Doug,

Many, many thanks for your assistance. It was most helpful. I knew that flying with firearms was a pain in the ass, and you confirmed it. But, if I can just check everything straight through to Harare......

Cheers,
Lefty

AussieMike
.300 member

Reged: 01/09/04
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
      #33473 - 20/06/05 11:05 PM

You may never see it again. Just my one experience transiting Jo'berg.

mike

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
      #33479 - 21/06/05 12:17 AM

Use a service like optima in Joburg to confirm that the guns make the connnecting flight.

It's well worth the $50.00 they charge.

http://www.optimahandling.co.za/

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

Lefty
.224 member

Re: Air Lines & Rifles [Re: new_guy]
      #33544 - 22/06/05 12:37 AM

Mike/Newguy,

Thanks for your advice. I'll be contacting Optima asap. Since I have to go through Jo'burg twice, they can help me going & coming. I will also look into insuring the rifles for the trip. I'd hate to lose them, but if they're insured, and they get lost on the way home, I could live with it. Any additional advice would be most welcome. Thanks again.
Cheers,
Lefty

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Air Lines & Rifles [Re: new_guy]
      #33546 - 22/06/05 12:51 AM

In reply to:

Use a service like optima in Joburg to confirm that the guns make the connnecting flight.

It's well worth the $50.00 they charge.

http://www.optimahandling.co.za/

I'll add one of these 'dreaded' NE.com LINKs threads for Optima.

They sound like a useful service to safari clients.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Air Lines & Rifles [Re: NitroX]
      #33548 - 22/06/05 01:17 AM

I'm using Optima when I go to Zim this friday, and when I fly back home on the 10th of july. After having lost luggage going to Zim before, I think it'll be worth it.

Will report back with how their service goes upon my return.

Erik

LinksAdministrator
.300 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Re: Air Lines & Rifles [Re: EricD]
      #33556 - 22/06/05 04:31 AM

A LINKS forum thread has been added for the future benefit of NitroExpress.com member.

Optima Business Services, Jo'burg

Thanks for bringing them up here on this thread.

--------------------
Links @ NitroExpress.com

If you wish to add your firearms, shooting or hunting links, please join as a member and submit your post using the links forums.

Lefty
.224 member

Re: Air Lines & Rifles [Re: EricD]
      #33665 - 23/06/05 07:52 AM

Erik,

Many thanks. Hope you have a good, safe trip to Zim. Will be looking forward to hearing about it, including your transit of Jo'burg and your experience with Optima, when you return.

Cheers,
Lefty

Lefty
.224 member

#34820 - 19/07/05 01:09 AM

I have sent Optima 2 emails, one from their web site and one to a specific person who works for Optima and have not received a reply to either email. The first was sent almost a month ago and the second over a week ago. As my trip starts 1 Aug I'm getting a little nervous. Has anyone who used Optima at Jo'burg airport run into this problem? Any ideas how to get a response from them? Thanks for any suggestions.
Cheers,
Lefty

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #34825 - 19/07/05 01:35 AM

Lefty, you have a PM.

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: Air Lines & Rifles [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #34829 - 19/07/05 07:37 AM

Lefty,

I've been having the same type of problem trying to communicate (via email) with Optima. (I leave on Aug 21.) Fortunately, on the emails I sent to Optima I CC copied my PH/Safari company and they are aware of the situation. PH/Safari company indicated that they would take care of it. But, I really don't understand why all of this has to be like pulling teeth! I mean, how hard is it to just reply to a freaking email for blessed sakes!!!

-Bob F.

Gadge
.300 member

Reged: 02/05/04
Loc: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia
Re: Air Lines & Rifles [Re: BFaucett]
      #34847 - 19/07/05 08:26 PM

Well, you could always try the competition, Air 2000 , I guess.

Run a search over on AR for recent experiences with them - they seem OK.

--------------------
Cheers,
Doug

Lefty
.224 member

Re: Air Lines & Rifles [Re: BFaucett]
      #34911 - 21/07/05 05:36 AM

Bob,

Couldn't agree more. Apparently Optima has more business than they need. This, as most of the frustrations of living, working or playing in Africa, can be explained by the old platitude; "That's Africa". I will email Air2000, and may even call Optima to see if there is anyone home. I'll let you know if I have any luck.

Cheers,
Lefty

Lefty
.224 member

Re: Air Lines & Rifles [Re: Gadge]
      #34930 - 22/07/05 12:27 AM

Doug,

Thanks for the suggestion and web site for Air2000. I sent them an email yesterday and got a response this morning! Following is response:

"Unfortunately due to the new aircraft types the luggage is packed in containers tagged for specific destinations so each container is moved from the incoming aircraft to the connecting aircraft. There is really no way to check if your firearms and luggage is being transferred any more. It is no longer hand moved luggage from aircraft to aircraft. I suggest you ask the transit desk lady to check the outgoing flight when you have your baggage tags so she can scan to see if the bags are loaded."

Of course, I am just transiting Jo'burg, connecting to Harare, but their responsiveness was impressive. I sent my email to a specific person. The address I used is: anne@air-2000.com. By the way, I didn't mention in my email that I was hauling firearms, Anne apparently just assumed it.

Cheers,
Lefty

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#34946 - 22/07/05 10:34 AM

I used Optima on my recent Safari, and on the return leg while in Johannesburg, the Optima representative couldn't confirm for me that my rifle case had been loaded onto the flight destined for Atlanta: probably for the reason you mention in your post. About 1/2 hour before the scheduled boarding time, I went to the SAA customer service counter with my baggage claim receipt, and she checked the computer records, and did indeed verify that my duffle bag, and also my Tuffpak were both on board.

Lefty
.224 member

Re: Air Lines & Rifles [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #35121 - 27/07/05 02:26 AM

I guess that wonders never do cease. I just got an email from Optima (after more than a month) with a confirmation that they will meet me and assist with making my connection to Harare. They advised that if my bags are checked through to Harare we will make the connection. By the way, the cost has gone up to $60. Not sure if this is round trip or one way.

Cheers,
Lefty

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#35125 - 27/07/05 04:22 AM

In May I was also charged $60.00. This is round trip-per person. Glad they finally reached you. I hope you have a great trip.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4351

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com