Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: How many of you have seen this before ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
How many of you have seen this before ?
      #3101 - 01/06/03 07:12 PM

How many of you have seen such strange bullet behaviour ? Let me explain Urdubob shot this black wildebeest with his 416 Rigby loaded with 400 hornady bullets at a range of 150 yards. Shown here is the entrance wound.

It was a perfect shot and the bull ran for another 50 yards before dropping but it was almost slapped down by the 416 but the bull kept on his feet on a unbelieveable fashion somehow. The bullet didn't exit but this is what we saw on the other side

The bullet somehow turned around and showed the bottom just coming trough the skin with the mushroom stopping it from going right trough acting as a backstop on the very tough skin of the wildebeest. Urdubob said it was the second time he has seen a bullet do this but it was definetetly my first. The bullet looked like it kept very good weight retention.

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Miller
.275 member

Reged: 01/05/03
Loc: Sydney, NSW AUS
Re: How many of you have seen this before ? [Re: SafariHunt]
      #3103 - 01/06/03 07:37 PM

I have never had this happen to me, but have heard from friends about it. Evidently the bullet hits something which makes it tumble, after which it slows radically because of the drag of the reverse mushroom, and usually the skin acts as a big rubber band, stretching out with the impact of the bullet, and retracting after stopping it. One friend who was watching another friend shoot an elk, I believe, from the off side actually claims to have seen the skin stretch out like a tent for a couple feet on impact. They found the bullet in the same position as you did.

It is no wonder the wildebeest could barely keep its feet, with it taking the full impact of a .416 in the forequarters, when the bullet reversed, it would felt like it was being hit by a truck.

Lynn Miller

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #3113 - 02/06/03 03:45 AM

I've never seen this first hand, although I've heard a few others speak of it. Somehow, the bullet just tumbled, either from hitting some obstruction on the way to the wildebeest, or after hitting the shoulder. Was there any intervening brush between the shooter and the wildebeest?

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #3157 - 03/06/03 07:03 PM

Thats a new one on me as well. Interesting stuff.
I've seen a few bullets that have broken the skin but haven't come right through, but none have been backed out like that.
I can remember a few years back shooting a big billy goat as he ran directly away along a game pad.
I was using a 360 No2 double and 286 gn Barnes X bullets.
The projectile went full length of his body and was almost ready to drop out of the exit hole in the skin.
You could see this bright gold thing in the hole which turned out to be the nicely mushroomed bullet.
The size and shape of the hole though showed that it was still travelling front forward.

SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
Re: How many of you have seen this before ? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #3159 - 03/06/03 08:40 PM

MIke,

There was no obstructions at all for the shot as you can see it is very bare country.

Miller,

It just shows you how tough black wildebeest are for their size. A lot of people will tell you they are the toughest animal if you compare their size where a big bull will weigh in maximum at 180 kg live. I was astonished that it didn't fall over.

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1866

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com