Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Most Desired African Game!!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: Huvius]
      #248165 - 30/05/14 11:39 AM

No question about the results - Buffalo wins the overall contest!

Dangerous game status - Buffalo, lion, cow elephant, hippo {on land}

Difficulty of hunt [work/energy expended] - Buffalo, Elephant

Trophy visual quality - Buffalo, Bull Elephant

Quintessential Africa-ism-Buffalo, Bull Elephant, Black Rhino

Unpredictability - Buffalo, Black Rhino

Availability - Buffalo, Leopard

Scarcity - Pangolin

Value for dollar (ROI) - Buffalo,

Winner - Buffalo

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
      #248168 - 30/05/14 11:48 AM

I don't know if it was that they didn't think much of hunting leopards but that they seldom saw them. I read a book by Donald Ker recently that said in the early days they didn't bait for leopards so it was fairly rare to see one let alone shoot one. Because of this they didn't really give leopard hunting much of a thought because without baiting what would the chances be? Interesting to see others desired game. I have hunted a kudu and impala and to me that symbolised Africa which is why I took them. It would not concern me if I didn't hunt plains game again. I also have a cape buffalo and cannot wait to go back to hunt another one. Tracking old bulls in thick cover is what hunting is about to me. Also went for the leopard as I have read/heard so much about the art of getting them to the bait in daylight I would love to experience it. Would only be taken by natural light.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #248170 - 30/05/14 12:02 PM

Funny.

On my plains game hunt, my Eland appeared out of nowhere, and my PH whispered "So there you are". This sucker had evaded a full season of hunters. The next words from my PH mouth was "Shoot him".

It was an easy kill.

On the other hand, my quest for a bull Wildebeest or nothing (with a double rifle on foot) ate up four of my days. Those guys are crafty and swift.

So the lowly Wildebeest was my most epic hunt.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: bwananelson]
      #248172 - 30/05/14 12:33 PM

#1 SCI with a crossbow. I want to go hunting with you someday for gator with my longbow, 500 BPE, or whatever.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: bonanza]
      #248174 - 30/05/14 12:37 PM

Bongo, mountain Nyala, lord derby eland and the three species of bushbuck n Ethiopia are all tied for first.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: Ripp]
      #248178 - 30/05/14 02:09 PM

Quote:

WOW--there is a blast from the past..wonder what ever happened to our old friend "HopDoc"?? He was an interesting fellow..

Ripp

I emailed the post to him, so maybe he will drop by again, if the address is still current. Always good to see old members.

Interesting to see some of the names on the older post. Some still visit every now and again, one name is infamous now, one gone for good. Some are still regulars.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: NitroX]
      #248188 - 30/05/14 02:40 PM

I'm annoyed, I did not read the poll allowed TWO choices so picked only Lion. Otherwise it would have been Loin AND Buffalo ,,, and cow elephant at the bottom.

Lion is my unaffordable holy grail at the moment.

For my next safari, is dollars permitted, I would hunt Zimbabwe for cow elephant, then head over to Mozambique for buffalo and sable. Only a dream at present.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #248211 - 31/05/14 12:13 AM

Quote:

I'm annoyed, I did not read the poll allowed TWO choices so picked only Lion. Otherwise it would have been Loin AND Buffalo ,,, and cow elephant at the bottom.

Lion is my unaffordable holy grail at the moment.

For my next safari, is dollars permitted, I would hunt Zimbabwe for cow elephant, then head over to Mozambique for buffalo and sable. Only a dream at present.

Your next safari sounds like a good one..I am tentatively working on one for 2016..with a possible detour in Asia in 2015....lots to put together, not the least of which is money

As to lion, yes, don't see that going down in price anytime soon...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#248239 - 31/05/14 04:58 PM

Quote:

Ripp

I could have hunted lion for next for nothing in the late 80's by a somewhat legal/illegal means. Was offered a hunt under a citizen permit in Zambia, so part of legal quota, just not for me. Decided not to do it because the paperwork might not have allowed me to import into Australia ... and after all 7000 Rand (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) was a lot of money to me at the time .......... STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why should all the rich fat bastards have all the fun.

Oh to have lived in a different age of exploration and walking safaris.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #248359 - 03/06/14 01:53 AM

A huge Sable, and a monster tom Leopard.

Ripp
.577 member

#248372 - 03/06/14 04:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ripp

I could have hunted lion for next for nothing in the late 80's by a somewhat legal/illegal means. Was offered a hunt under a citizen permit in Zambia, so part of legal quota, just not for me. Decided not to do it because the paperwork might not have allowed me to import into Australia ... and after all 7000 Rand (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) was a lot of money to me at the time .......... STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why should all the rich fat bastards have all the fun.

Oh to have lived in a different age of exploration and walking safaris.

Hey --have a few of those in my life as well..shoulda/coulda/woulda moments... such is life..

There will be another time possibly..but yes, lion is crazy right now..

I do hear on the grapevine that deals are already becoming available for certain destinations in Africa on opens quota's, or cancellations or both..was just visiting this morning with a friend on that...

Similar to lion are the sheep/ibex of the world as to going up in price...would like to get a few of those under my belt before I am too old to climb and while they are still affordable for me..

BUT, yes, 7000 Rand is a pretty good price...WTH were you thinking???

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #248378 - 03/06/14 06:06 AM

I think that the method in which the game is taken should be considered,we are after all hunters,are we not?

Taking a good Tom Leopard on foot hunting in, on or around the kopje`s would be richly rewarding to me. Spot and stalk type,lots of bino work,yes I`m sure it could be a tough ask...but one morning to see a Tom sunbaking on a big granite rock and stalking him would be something.I do realise that it could take a lot of mornings..and arvos....

No bait in a tree hide shooting for me or running a tom to trees with hounds either and definitely NO spotlight.

I would be happy to hunt Bongo, no dogs.A tough hunting task yes but what hunting!

If not Bongo a Giant Angolan Sable the king of all of the antelope.

(are there any left)

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
      #248388 - 03/06/14 11:32 AM

Bongo . As Hemingway said once you have hunted man the other animals that can kill you don't seem as intimidating so for the danger aspect there is no comparison ,to me anyway. I voted Bongo for the animals elusiveness ,it is like hunting a ghost. A hunters skill, patience and perseverance must be at a very high level to bring one of these home. Some hunters spend an entire lifetime trying to get one . Spending weeks at a time with nothing more than a pack a rifle and bare essentials sleeping out in the open to get one of these elusive animals would be my dream hunt.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#248402 - 03/06/14 07:57 PM

Quote:

BUT, yes, 7000 Rand is a pretty good price...WTH were you thinking???

I remember all up (not airfares) it was going to cost about $3,500 - not just lion though, cape buffalo + lion or leopard + hippo + plains game .....

I was working in a foreign country at the time and remember working out if I paid no tax in that country for a certain time and did the hunt, I could ffff off out of that country before I got caught ....

But couldn't do it, as while I would have been crazy enough to do it, needed a second person to form the company with. The bloody desire for trophies also screwed me, now I would do it in a moments notice, and photos would do. Or shipping any trophies to a friend somewhere to keep on the never never and get hold of again, if ever possible.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#248403 - 03/06/14 08:01 PM

Some times these come up and I am extremely jealous of the guys who get the opportunity and strike gold.

I remember one guy about seven years ago was able to do it, and took two problem lionesses in Namibia. Wishing for the opportunity ever since. Can't afford even airfares at the moment.

This was posted yesterday elsewhere.

No idea if it is legit, or whatever.

http://www.jagdinnamibia.de/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#248415 - 03/06/14 11:09 PM

Yes, have a friend who is getting some oil money..he searches the web and booking agents almost daily..has come up with some really good deals..still lots of money but all in all 25% less than normal..

I took a good male in Zim a few years back..but certainly wouldn't mind taking a lioness to go along with him..they are fun to hunt..but, have to say, the most intense hunt I have ever done over there was for a tuskless ele..not sure if it was just the group we were after or what..but they were insane...I know I have mentioned this before, but there were bluff charging, pulling out little trees and throwing them our way..run back into the cover while screaming...then come back out and do it all over again...crazy hunt...and a ton of fun..and, those are still somewhat reasonable in price....

First cape buffalo was similar in that we chased them on a cat and mouse game for about 4 hours after tracking for a couple..finally got a shot into him and put him down with 2 more in his south end headed north..but that was really intense as well..

Ripp

--------------------

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #248441 - 04/06/14 07:47 AM

I always feel sorry for Elephant families being Culled/shot, smart animal they know what's going on, just can't get a plane out of there or carry a firearm, so throw trees & run back to cover screaming, like a cave man might !

Don't get me wrong I'm a hunter & have helped on problem Elephant Culls in 2 country's, very exiting but I don't feel right about it myself !

Had a Cow Ele run at me last year screaming, ears wide trunk up waving, kicking sand over me, scared the Shit out of me, she had two young ones with her .
Oh I was on my own here to !

Elephants are very scary things, more so in a group !

I picked Lion (also scary) & Sable (Giant tops) because they are awesome, but Lord Derby, Bongo, Mt Nayla are right there to.

Oh Black Rhino in the thick stuff (where they seem to like it) may well be up there to !

Edited by Sarg (04/06/14 07:52 AM)

Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: Sarg]
      #249252 - 20/06/14 09:26 AM

For me it's buffalo, and a few assorted plains game. I've got very little interest in shooting an elephant of my own, but would love to be involved in an elephant hunt(if I was hunting with a friend who wanted one, for example). Given half a chance I'd probably go after a croc too.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: Shackleton]
      #249267 - 21/06/14 01:08 AM

Quote:

For me it's buffalo, and a few assorted plains game. I've got very little interest in shooting an elephant of my own, but would love to be involved in an elephant hunt(if I was hunting with a friend who wanted one, for example). Given half a chance I'd probably go after a croc too.

That is exactly how I felt until I hunted one..now its one of the hunts I can't wait to go back for again...up close and personal with a ele was one of my most memorable hunting experiences..

--------------------

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #249295 - 21/06/14 06:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That is exactly how I felt until I hunted one..now its one of the hunts I can't wait to go back for again...up close and personal with a ele was one of my most memorable hunting experiences..

+1 + tracking Lion

Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: ozhunter]
      #249323 - 22/06/14 12:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

+1 + tracking Lion

I'd love a cat hunt, but on this side of the pond my elk comes first, and if I ever make it to that side my buff. I've said for years when I win $200 million in the Powerball I'll start in Wyoming and follow the hunting season around the world for a year.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

PapaScarface
.224 member

Reged: 28/08/15
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #288064 - 20/09/16 11:17 AM

An older thread.
But none the less I chose leopard and other, other to me would have to be bushbuck!

Having not been to Africa yet I couldn't think of anything more exciting then hunting a big Tom on foot, not over bait or with hounds.
And as for bushBuck everything I have read or heard about them just excites me. Would love to take one with my mock lee speed sporter.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: PapaScarface]
      #288107 - 21/09/16 12:54 AM

Quote:

An older thread.
But none the less I chose leopard and other, other to me would have to be bushbuck!

Having not been to Africa yet I couldn't think of anything more exciting then hunting a big Tom on foot, not over bait or with hounds.
And as for bushBuck everything I have read or heard about them just excites me. Would love to take one with my mock lee speed sporter.

You reminded me of a hunt I had in Zim with the PH Nixon..we were hunting buff...we were quite a ways from our truck and got to some really thick bush when we heard the indistinguishable sound of a leopard ahead of us..we very quietly moved into the area slowly moved along in an attempt to get a look at him..we ultimately go winded and never got to see them..by the tracks a tom was breeding a female as we come upon them...another time a few years later, also in Zim..we were hiking in to hang a bait..dragging an impala..another leopard let out a growl...we sat and waited looking we spotted him slowly moving his way out of our area...incredibly animals to see in the wild..

Ripp

--------------------

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #288124 - 21/09/16 04:52 AM

I think that I would have to pick a Derby Eland as my most desired African hunt.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Most Desired African Game!! [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #288126 - 21/09/16 04:57 AM

I suppose a big buff is most peoples choice as an impressive beast on the wall but I think hunting a deep bush run Bongo would be something given the climate/terrain/temps etc and what a spectacular full mount to have.

Many are the species that are now taken that are bred for ranch style which has devalued the animals taken out on true safari`s.
Do you really want a BIG buff? Got the money? Yep..OK!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 19677

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com