Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Bwana
.224 member

Reged: 07/03/05
Loc: Monroe, Michigan
Camoflage Clothing in South Africa?
      #28342 - 26/03/05 12:22 AM

Could someone please clarify this point for me. It is my understanding that camoflage clothing is legal for hunting in South Africa. However, I just received an Orvis Clothing catalog that says that camoflage cloithing is illegal in South Africa as well as many other countries in Southern Africa. Could someone please clarify? Thanks.

Bwana

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: Bwana]
      #28346 - 26/03/05 01:53 AM

Camo clothing is illegal in RSA and many other African countries although this ban is often not enforced......but it is not a particularly good idea to look too much like one of the military anyway.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: shakari]
      #28351 - 26/03/05 05:40 AM

I think the ban on commo's are one of that old laws on the book that is not enforced anymore, comes out of the old law that nobody may posses an army uniform or kit without permission.

It is high fashion for the kids in RSA to wear cammo clothing. I never had a problem with the cammo clothing I wear when I hunt. Two large cammo manufactures Cammo Joe and Snipers Africa's product are for sale in most gunshops in RSA

I know for a fact that cammo's are illigal in Botaswana, not sure about Zim.

You will be safe in RSA with cammo's, although I will not recomend army style cammo's and please don't look like a mercenery when you arrive.

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: SAHUNT]
      #28549 - 29/03/05 08:35 PM

It is nonsense that camoe is illigal in RSA.There is still an exsisting law that prohibit you from having South African Army camoe with you and this law has a couple of bucks fine and obviously the confiscation of the clothing.How ever you are allowed to have other camoe clothing for hunting purposes and we have a big outlet here in JHB where you can buy camoe cloting from for hunting purposes.They are called CAMOE JOE and they have a very widew range of different colours and camoe nets etc.There is also a lot fasion clothing shops that keeps camoe for fasion clothing.You will se people with this type of clothing nearly everyday and everywhere in RSA.The problem with ZIM,BOT and Namibia is that you don't want to be assotiated with any military activities especially if you are white.So rather stick to the khakis.But I can prmise you that you can walk on JHB In ternational with your camoe outfit and nobody will give you one look.

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #28574 - 30/03/05 03:07 AM

I wear camo in RSA and Zim. I bring non military patterns and have never had any problems, even when my items were inspected in Customs. The Zim PH wore a camo leafy wear top while I was hunting with him as well.

As long as what you are wearing is a non military type style, you won't have problems.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: AspenHill]
      #28576 - 30/03/05 03:16 AM

Big Five,

I'll have to disagree with you. The ban is not enforced and as you say there are plenty of shops selling various camo patterns here - but if you check I'm sure you'll find that the legal ban has never been rescinded.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: shakari]
      #28602 - 30/03/05 11:00 AM

This has been cussed and discussed, why risk it? camo is a bunch of horse hockey for the suckers and bubbas of this world anyway,..game sees movement, smell and noise more than anything, and you can break up your sillouette with a checkered pattern and various other patterns...

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: atkinson6]
      #28668 - 31/03/05 05:46 AM

Camo clothing on safari? It's just not proper, ol' boy!

-Bob F.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #28679 - 31/03/05 11:11 AM

The safest bet is to leave the camo at home, although you are not likely to have any trouble in using it. However, I see no reason to risk disrupting an expensive safari over a camo pattern when solid green works just fine.

prof242
.275 member

Reged: 10/02/04
Loc: Colorado, USA
Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: 500grains]
      #28919 - 04/04/05 11:10 PM

Have hunted on four continents, unfortunately not Africa. By choosing plaids and patterns in green, brown, or tan, I've been able to have a "camo" that still allows me in to any restaurant or other establishment without the "Rexall Ranger" look.

--------------------
Politically correct = morally wrong

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: prof242]
      #28932 - 05/04/05 08:24 AM

While camo is as stated several places above possible to use in RSA, I fail to see why anyone would bother. Plain olive green or simular works just fine, and can be used in all african countrys with no questions asked. Often, sticking with "simple" is better than going with "fancy". The often asked camo question is a good example of this IMO.

Erik

AussieMike
.300 member

Reged: 01/09/04
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: EricD]
      #28960 - 05/04/05 07:04 PM

You guys must be neat eaters. I just wear khakis and have a big feed of appropriately coloured food eg lots of fried eggs and tomato sauce in desert areas, green curry if hunting in the forest etc.

mike

Stephen_Palos
.224 member

Reged: 11/10/08
Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: AussieMike]
      #116715 - 12/10/08 07:37 AM

Come with your cammo if you like.....

If they started enforcing that law, if it still exists, there'd be no kids left in our kindergardens. They'd all be in lock-up!

If you're headed this way and you're inclined towards sweating then rather sweat the big things.........or better still, chill & enjoy!

--------------------
I hunt because I am human, so hunting is an expression of my humanity.

Edited by Stephen_Palos (12/10/08 07:51 AM)

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: SAHUNT]
      #116723 - 12/10/08 09:23 AM

Quote:

and please don't look like a mercenery when you arrive.

Hey Jaco mate, are you telling me I have to buy a suitcase ? That kit bag has a done lot of miles with me.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: Bramble]
      #116733 - 12/10/08 01:10 PM

Maybe I'm aging myself, but I remember that law in the '80's when I lived there.

At the time, SADF uniforms were "dirt" brown. Some Recce units wore camo, but basically, camo was typically associated with anti-government types.

I actually do not know the origin of the law, but the above situation was my impression of its origin.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #116734 - 12/10/08 01:34 PM

I was in Zimbabwe early last month and the only camo I saw was at police checkpoints and that worn by Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Scouts. I personally wound not consider wearing it myself. Most bowhunting is done from hides near water, so it isnt particularly helpful. I wore green clothing and got quite close to many animals. Given the turbulent political situation in either of those countries I dont think its worth the risk involved. No hunt is worth your life. If I'm gonna die in a far away land I would rather it be to an angry elephant, or hippo rather than an AK-47.

--------------------
One day at a time...

SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
      #116740 - 12/10/08 04:46 PM

Camo in RSA is no problem as long as it's not military. Camo stuff like "Realtree Hardwood" works well here in the bushveld. Camo is not needed when wearing the correct clothing dark olive or so but if it lets you feel better and more confident bring it.

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: bigmaxx]
      #116743 - 12/10/08 05:30 PM

One thing I find annoying about the excessive use of camo on everything associated with hunting nowadays.

If I want to buy a hunting suitable backpack. It is in camo. If I want to buy a monster bum bag, they only come in camo. Personally I prefer plain old dark olive or army green.

Also if you want to use it as a tourist, you don't end up looking like some wannabe goose. Too much weight to carry additional stuff and nowadays even if not legal, you may well get extra unwanted attention in some airports with camo bags.

BTW I don't mind camo for hunting but it is 95% of the time not necessary.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

sams_grandson
.224 member

Reged: 01/06/08
Loc: zimbabwe
Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: NitroX]
      #116762 - 12/10/08 07:58 PM

hi all
best advise i can give is leave your camo at home when going to zim, it will cause problems.
they are very strict about it, even the hunting style camo is a problem, kids have been arrested for wearing it.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: sams_grandson]
      #116782 - 13/10/08 01:36 AM

Bwana, you are from whitetail country I see, and hence probably your legitimate concern for the wariness of game, stealth, etc. Most African plains game ain't whitetails or coyotes.

If you are headed to Africa, don't worry about your clothes unless you are stalking bushbuck or hunting a few other critters in the open. If I could get my scanner to work I'd post a pic or two of me and some plains game, me dressed in hillbilly blue overalls. Much African plains game IMO is some of the least wary critters on God's green earth and the hunting some of the easiest in the world. You can wear Bozo the Clown Big Red Afro and dress in a chartreuse leisure suit and still shoot your fill. Especially if you are shooting from a blind, something that was not common when I was there, except for those who hunted leopard. I understand that blind-shooting is common now for a wide variety of critters?

Heck, why worry about what YOU are wearing when the crowd you are hunting in will be mostly dressed in green or blue coveralls {except for one of them who will be in shorts }

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #116794 - 13/10/08 04:27 AM

Legalities aside, camo clothing just isn't needed in Africa. Depending on the local vegetation and time of year, stick with darker khaki or green.

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #116812 - 13/10/08 06:23 AM

I popped into my local gunshop yesterday and Eley are doing 12 gauge cartidge boxes now in realtree cammoflage and dark olive green shells......

Now where DID I put that ammo.

God save us from marketing.

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: Bramble]
      #116815 - 13/10/08 06:46 AM

Hi Bramble,

You may think I'm making this up, but I know a fellow who placed his camouflage inline muzzleloading rifle on the ground when he walked off to pee, and lost it. He found it the next year by chance, but it was ruined by then (of course). This same fellow leaned a T/C Hawken against the tailgate of his truck, forgot, and backed over it (ruined that one too, of course). So, camouflage isn't the only culprit here, but it played a partial role.

I happen to agree with several fellows who have already posted the opinion that camouflage-pattern clothing does not conceal us from game animals. I believe they see the silhouette or outline, without regard to the interior coloration. My experience is that by breaking up the silhouette, we can conceal our identity. I’ve had deer walk right up to me while I was sitting and wearing a ghillie jacket, with branches covering my legs.

Take care, Tom

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: Tatume]
      #116820 - 13/10/08 07:19 AM

I remember a study of sorts done during the Rhodesian Bush War that indicated three problem areas for concealment {aside from the obvious, movement}. First was a white man's face. Second was his hands. That his hands are most likely to move is also to be taken into consideration.

And the third?

His rifle. It sticks out like a sore thumb and generally looks like nothing else in the bush. This all, mind you, relates to vision of people, not animals. Thus, the painting of various weapons during the war.

I REALLY wonder about coyotes. I find them to be pretty observant and they seem to be able to detect stuff other critters don't, meaning, they don't need movement to spook. I have no idea what they see, but I believe a timber yote has X-Ray vision, so I go Whole Hog when chasing them.

Amazing what long dark winters and boredome can do in the gun shop...

--------------------

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: Camoflage Clothing in South Africa? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #116822 - 13/10/08 08:09 AM

My hypothesis is that most herbivores perceive the world differently from most carnivores. The former are watching for something sneaking up on them, the latter are trying to stalk a still prey.

Therefore, herbivores are looking for movement, and vision that is optimized to detect silhouettes will be most likely to detect movement. Also, herbivores need to be able to carry on with their activities while peripheral vision works on “autopilot.” It takes hours of grazing to satisfy their energy needs; they can’t be on the alert all day.

Carnivores, on the other hand, can spend those same hours in the stalk. They need to be able to detect an animal that is holding still and hiding. The carnivore needs to be able to see into cover and focus on details that give away the prey, even if the prey animal has detected him already.

These generalizations are deliberately vague, and I expect that many counter-examples exist.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 67 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6749

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com